1Funduck

Dan Lanning or......

Who else? 

AJT says its a deal, Conzano says 'Not so fast'. Who do you believe? I'm left pondering this choice for a HC as I believe that is the choice Uncle Phil wants. While 'Just Do It' is denying through Conzano that a deal has been inked, I find it ponderous that the Atlanta Journal is reporting that it's done and now its a timing thing. Georgia is in a NC run. There is NOT one school that wouldn't let the Coaching staff finish this run before plucking them. It would be immoral. A quiet inking with start dates that corelate to the day after the NC game sounds about right. Or at least something along those lines. Let the coach finish his run then he's done.

What do I know? No more than anyone else. But, Lanning is the man that we should all want. He is the 'Splash' hire. Just because his name isn't posted with dry ink doesn't mean it isn't happening. I give Conzano the same credence as AJT. Both should be in the know. I believe Conzano will protect his source and the process as he most likely has the inside scoop with the powers that be. But, doesn't that hold true for AJT as well? Georgia boosters are no slouch either. This seems to me to be there is nothing to see here before Uncle Phil has his guy with dry ink. 

It's respect for the process and the guy who has the biggest purse to pursue the Stars.

• Thumbs Up 1

As an elder worn down by 82+ revolutions of earth around the sun, I feel there are huge advantages to going with a younger coach.  Energy, younger staff that relates better to recruits and players and being on top of the latest developments in the game are some.  PK has to have similar thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 5

I am in on Lanning.

Lanning has the chops to recruit the big, bad SEC defensive players. Coach em up to not just compete but dominate in the SEC.

Put aside what happened against Bama. That just shows how great Saban is as a HC.

Looking forward to that rematch in the Natty. It will give us a chance to see if Lanning can make the necessary adjustments. Get his players ready for a rematch. 

You know, like how our one foot out the door coaching staff did against Utah in a high level rematch.

Wait, my mistake, the Oregon coaches evidently had both feet out the door......

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 6:56 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

You know, like how our one foot out the door coaching staff did against Utah in a high level rematch.

Wait, my mistake, the Oregon coaches evidently had both feet out the door......

5xi02o.jpg

If Lannning were to stay with UG until the NC game, wouldn’t that just destroy Oregon’s recruiting for this cycle? I would think that they would want to get somebody in there before the Dec. 15th signing to salvage some recruits.

Guest Axel
On 12/11/2021 at 7:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

5xi02o.jpg

This is why I do not wish Cristobal well in his new position at Miami. His malfeasance cost the Ducks and their fans another Rose Bowl appearance (not to mention a run at the national championship.) Cristobal is a great self-promoter; he obviously didn't care about the fortunes of the 2021 Oregon Ducks. His abysmal indifference and incompetence in those two games against Utah is the proof. Cristobal will recruit well at Miami and fail on the field.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:30 AM, Axel said:

His malfeasance cost the Ducks and their fans another Rose Bowl appearance (not to mention a run at the national championship.)

Hard to argue against this.  Given the timing of everything and listless showing against in Vegas against Utah, I think it is more likely than not that his post Civil War trip to Miami included more than just a visit with his mom.  And, that he was checked out for the week leading up to the Pac-12 championship.  Disappointing.   

• Thumbs Up 2

image.thumb.png.a679c54ee94437f58ed583ced7ffdbd2.png
This is another Tweet from Canzano. Pay special attention to the bottom line. That tells me all I need to know about his sources. 

Furthermore, has anybody else noticed that there are no more updates or rumors flying around about other potential candidates? They all seemed to come to an abrupt end when this story leaked. 🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:21 AM, Chuck Duck said:

If Lannning were to stay with UG until the NC game, wouldn’t that just destroy Oregon’s recruiting for this cycle? I would think that they would want to get somebody in there before the Dec. 15th signing to salvage some recruits.

He would likely make phone calls and have some of the recruiting staff make visits. The important thing is having a name. He’s probably talked to a lot of the recruits anyway. Now he would just have to switch hats.

• Like 1

I'm sure there are extra sensitive negotiations happening behind the scenes due to Georgia's playoff run. I also think it's best for both schools to get this wrapped up sooner than later. Georgia doesn't want rumors turning into distractions and UO doesn't want recruits abandoning ship around signing day. An announcement anytime between today and Monday sounds about right.

Both are iffy sources. I'm seen the Atlantic Journal get other things completely wrong but at the same time the fact that Canzano is so quick to dismiss it makes me think it could be true.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:33 AM, duck023 said:

Canzano is so quick to dismiss it makes me think it could be true.

I don't know if Canzano is so much dismissing it' just saying that the contract isn't signed yet, while AJC is treating the signing as a formality.

I think somebody has cold feet.

On 12/11/2021 at 6:16 AM, 1Funduck said:

There is NOT one school that wouldn't let the Coaching staff finish this run before plucking them. It would be immoral.

While I agree with you, and my first impulse on "negotiations"  (regarding Manning coaching during the playoffs) was your quote above 

I do recall however, FAU poaching Lane Kiffin, and said coach got himself canned before the playoffs by the great one.  

College Football is war at this point.  It's always best to maintain scruples, principles, and ethics.  That said, self interest does matter. 

The question truly is, can Lanning continue his  responsibilities at Georgia this year with integrity AND start building his "new" program (if he's hired)?

That's the only way I'd accept the job.  Giving my current players the chance to win their elusive Natty.  Those players deserve that commitment. 

In other words, I wouldn't have done what Brian Kelly did.  I lost a ton of respect for him, and I believe his stunt tarnished College Football.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1