30Duck

Oregon is a Contender for the CFP in 2022

"The Ducks Are A Team To Watch," music to my ears. Now if I can just hear, Oregon should be feared, then all is right!

I think that is what has been missing over the last few years, other than fearing Oregon on the recruiting trail, Oregon hasn't deserved too much respect.

The 2022 Spring game could be the most watched in years. However I'm not climbing on the Lanning fan train just yet. Yes he seems to check all the right boxes but I want to see him coach a few games 1st. We've BTDT with the last few coaches and things didn't turn out that well. 

Constantly optimistic, as per usual.

It is January, hope for the New Year. We have to patch up our battered defense and find out if Coach Lanning is thinking like Mr. FishDuck and will bring us an offense that excites and produces.  GO DUCKS!

Meanwhile, Fansided ranks Oregon as 1 of the 5 teams most likely to retrogress in 2022. Others - Oklahoma, Pitt, Michigan State, Notre Dame

This is the kind of talk that sowed so much discontent for the 2021 Ducks season.   I agree we do have the aim high.  But tamper the expectations though, with the new coaching staff and inexperience.

I think this is overly optimistic.  Dan Lanning and the coaching staff he's put together are young and hungry so I have no doubt they will make Oregon competitive but it's a sea of change going on...new offensive/defensive schemes, new QB (whomever wins QB1), young WR room, etc.  Plus on top of that they have to play Georgia the very first game of the upcoming season.  If they're able to create a 9 or 10 win season I would consider that an enormous success for year one.

I can't remember which coach said it, I think it was Bellotti, but their assertion was one of the most important jobs a coach has is to manage expectations.  Confidence about potential with a huge dose of reality about the challenges a team must overcome keeps coaches employed and fans with the right frame of mind.  

The only source I will turn to for my expectations will be the words directly from the coaches.

I think expectations, while high, should be tempered. We're all excited about the possibilities for next season, but lets not forget than Dan Lanning has never been a head coach, and is attacking a job that he is totally unfamiliar with.

He's made his reputation as a defensive coordinator, but now he's the CEO of the entire organization. He needs to manage, and delegate, all the while monitoring everything to insure the culture and performance meet the lofty standards that the Oregon fan base feels has been lacking the last couple of years under Cristobal.

The jury really is out on this guy....and the staff he has assembled.

I wish him the best.

But let's wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 1

Media hype any more just drives me crazy. It is all speculation for sure.

Our defense saved the bacon in several games this season while our offense barely kept our heads above water.

There is an large amount of learning these players need that wasn’t taught to them by the last staff. 

Till our defense learns how to tackle and keep ball carriers in front of them, which Geo. did an amazing job of, the points given up will not change much.

That means the offense needs to be more consistent and not go backwards when it gets in the red zone.

How many times did we hear, We need to clean some things up. While all the while things just got dirtier.  

Only time will tell. 

See you at the spring game.

go🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Meanwhile, Fansided ranks Oregon as 1 of the 5 teams most likely to retrogress in 2022. Others - Oklahoma, Pitt, Michigan State, Notre Dame

And this is where we are. I can see the Ducks landing in the middle of these two prognosication's. For now, with all the changes that Oregon will be dealing with, contending for the CFP next season isn't where I had them. For what it's worth I do have them winning the North, even it comes down to beating the Beavers in Corvallis. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I fully agree with those who are tempering expectations. This forum rocks with so many POV's. Thanks for sharing.

That was hard to type because the rah rah cheerleader in me bursts with optimism. I rarely temper my expectations. Had to look it up to see what it meant.

Just too early to make predictions.

What is their to base our optimism or pessimism on?

The footers haven't even been poured yet, let alone the foundation. We have some top notch talent on the roster. We had top notch talent last year (4-3).

Someone has to know what to do with all that talent. Both in practice and during games. Hec next year could be 7-6 after the Sun Bowl or 12-2 after the Rose Bowl. Depends on coaches, players, schemes and injuries.

However, I am looking forward to that journey.

Let's see what the Ducks have to work with after February National Signing Day. As well as the transfer portal both in and out.

What coachable 5* and high 4* players sign letters of intent. What talent, if any, follows Coach Lanning to Eugene. What is the plan for player development.

Let's fill Autzen at the spring game. Our first glimpse of a few schemes and plays. Looking forward to OBD forum members comments then, too.

• Thumbs Up 2

We will have a very good offensive line as a base to work from on offense. With good receivers, TE’s, and RB’s. It’s not like our program melted down. The wild card is going to be at QB. 

Defensively we will be more experienced. I expect them to win. If Lanning can start out his first year strong, then that impacts recruiting in a positive way. 

Expectations should be high at Oregon. I certainly am going to give a young coach an opportunity/time to excel, but Lanning is getting some pretty good players to work with…..let’s see if he can make them better. 

Go Ducks

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2022 at 2:30 PM, kirklandduck said:

I think this is overly optimistic.  Dan Lanning and the coaching staff he's put together are young and hungry so I have no doubt they will make Oregon competitive but it's a sea of change going on...new offensive/defensive schemes, new QB (whomever wins QB1), young WR room, etc.  Plus on top of that they have to play Georgia the very first game of the upcoming season.  If they're able to create a 9 or 10 win season I would consider that an enormous success for year one.

Plus, the schedule is a witch. "At" Georgia and versus BYU OOC and 5 conference road games.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2022 at 1:42 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Plus, the schedule is a witch. "At" Georgia and versus BYU OOC and 5 conference road games.

Exactly.  Whoever listed the Georgia game location as "neutral" is seriously smoking something.  The BYU game will also be tough, it's not inconceivable that Oregon starts 1-2 going into Pac-12 play.

IDK, 77 highly recruited freshman on this team. Yea, UO lost a few heavy hitters but there is more talent on this team than ever has been. Injury riddled and poorly coached, they still won 10 games.

I wouldn't be surprised if they won 11 and made the CFP. I also wouldn't be surprised if they only won 8 games. What I do know for sure is that I am really interested in Duck football right now, more so than the past 3 or 4 years.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think its more than possible to win the PAC next season.

On 1/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I think its more than possible to win the PAC next season.

Utah does have virtually everyone coming back next season. They will be the clear favorite.

I'm very, very interested to see what happens in the Bama/UGA rematch this coming Monday?

Bill O'Brien schooled Smart and Lanning in the SEC champ game. Of course Bama did have more to play for but the Bama O exposed the UGA pass D. If UGA cannot get pressure on Young, zero sacks in the SEC champ game and very few hurried passes, Bama wins. I don't believe that Stetson Bennett has the 'moxie' to beat Bama. 

On 1/4/2022 at 12:55 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I don't believe that Stetson Bennett has the 'moxie' to beat Bama. 

Very true, a Game Manager isn't going to beat Alabama. But Kirby seems set with Stetson so the D is going to have to keep Alabama to 24 points? It's hard to see how -3 Georgia is happening.