Charles Fischer

Huskies Cannot BELIEVE Their New Staff is Ranked Below Oregon!

Washington fans did NOT like this 247 review that placed the new coaching staff of the Huskies below Washington State and Miami...and WAY below Oregon's ranking.  We had this link up before, but I had to share a few Husky reactions to it, and note some of the consistent themes...

"Oregon has flashier uniforms, it's a new criteria used by 247 in evaluating the pecking order..."

"Referring to Oregon Uni's; you catch fish on brighter lures or more visual bait. A lot of todays players are more impressed with flashy and show me the $, than a program that will develop character. Interesting that more and more NFL teams are looking for character."

"I’m not shocked. DeBoer is a brand new name nationally. Don't know about everyone else but I’m perfectly fine with being under the radar."

"The reference that "DeBoer doesn't have much experience as a head coach" is misleading. Including his time at Sioux Falls, this will be his 8th year as a HC. No mention that Lanning has never been a HC anywhere."

"Probably because too many major college programs do not seem to consider character and integrity relevant. It’s all about the green and gold (or yellow)."

"No surprise Oregon was over hyped. We are going to have to get used to Nike influence; exerting influence actively or passively.

However, would you prefer being massively over hyped and not even coming close to living up to the expectations, or flying under the radar and surprising people? I choose the later every time."

Jake Browning sacked by Jelks and Hollins_KC_FP.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

What's with Husky fans and this obsessive notion that the Washington program develops "character"? I mean, where's the evidence for that notion?

I think it's a claim that really can't be refuted and wouldn't be mentioned at all if the program developed a thing called "winning".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

jrw...that is an ongoing theme over the last 20 years, that Oregon does not develop character and Washington does...and it still continues.  What a self delusion...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Instead of having confidence that they are a strong, solid program with a good history, they prefer to act and think like the little engine that could. They're thinking more like OSU or WSU fans. They're afraid to exude too much confidence: I’m perfectly fine with being under the radar."            

Weak sauce. 

On 1/27/2022 at 11:20 AM, jrw said:

What's with Husky fans and this obsessive notion that the Washington program develops "character"? I mean, where's the evidence for that notion?

I think it's a claim that really can't be refuted and wouldn't be mentioned at all if the program developed a thing called "winning".

I had a girlfriend many years ago. I ultimately dumped her, but she DID have a good personality.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/27/2022 at 11:21 AM, Charles Fischer said:

jrw...that is an ongoing theme over the last 20 years, that Oregon does not develop character and Washington does...and it still continues.  What a self delusion...

Their poster child is Jeremy Stevens.  From his Wiki page

Criminal allegations
Violent crime
In spring 1998, Stevens—a high school senior—was charged with felony assault, which led to three weeks in the Thurston County jail after testing positive for marijuana, which violated the terms of his home confinement. "The felony charge appeared to place his [University of Washington football] scholarship in jeopardy—but three UW coaches wrote the judge, saying the UW's offer was still good."[37]

In July 2000, Stevens was arrested and charged with rape. UW athletic director Barbara Hedges told news media that UW would investigate sexual battery charges; but the University did not. King County Prosecutor Norm Maleng's office "agreed to give crucial police evidence—the victim and witness statements—to Stevens's lawyers before the interview." This was directly contrary to standard police procedure, and the Seattle Police did not agree to release those statements. Despite DNA evidence, Maleng's office declined to prosecute.[37]

On March 3, 2011, Stevens was arrested and charged with felony battery for punching two bouncers in a Tampa, Florida bar. According to his attorney, who denied the charges, after Stevens was released from jail, he was treated for "multiple broken ribs and extensive bruising to his body and face."[38]
On November 12, 2012, Stevens was arrested on investigation of assault following an altercation that left his fiancée, soccer star Hope Solo, injured, but a Kirkland, Washington judge dropped the case the following day for lack of evidence.[39] The pair were wed November 13, 2012, the day after the arrest.[35]

Traffic violations

On October 19, 2000, Stevens sideswiped Donald Preston's Dodge Daytona on I-5 after "driving like a maniac" and "using the HOV lane as a passing lane." He fled the scene without giving any information to Preston. The State Trooper who tracked him via the license plate on his red truck did not charge him with hit-and-run but instead cited him for "driving too fast for conditions."[37]

On May 4, 2001, Stevens was cited for reckless driving and hit and run after crashing his pickup truck into a retirement home. The crash knocked a dresser onto a bed where a 92-year-old woman was sleeping.[40] Stevens first lied, saying he did not know who was driving his truck; he later pleaded guilty to hit-and-run and causing property damage and was given a suspended 90-day jail sentence, 240 hours of community service, and probation.[37][3][41]
In 2002, after signing with the Seattle Seahawks, Stevens was ticketed for going 98 mph in his new Range Rover. Three months later, he was cited for negligent driving and paid a $490 fine.[37]

On April 3, 2003, Stevens was stopped by Medina, Washington police and was charged with reckless driving and driving while intoxicated. He pleaded guilty to reckless driving. For violating probation from the May 2001 incident, Stevens served five days in jail effective June 12, 2003 and was ordered to do 40 hours of community service.[41] For the reckless driving charge, Stevens was sentenced to two days in jail, 25 hours of community service, and a $1,000 fine on June 23.[42] The sentencing judge compared Stevens to Reggie Rogers, another star University of Washington football player who was convicted of DUI.[42]

On March 13, 2007, eleven days after he became a free agent, Stevens was arrested in Scottsdale, Arizona for suspicion of DUI after his blood alcohol content was measured at 0.204, more than twice the legal limit of .08 and considered "extreme DUI" in Arizona. On September 7, a jury found Stevens guilty.[43]

Although the crime carries a mandatory minimum of 30 days in jail, the judge gave Stevens 12 days, "suspending the other 18 because he was enrolled in the NFL's substance-abuse program, the same program Stevens entered in 2003, after being stopped with two open champagne bottles in his car." The NFL suspended him for one game.[37][44]

On January 19, 2015, Stevens, then 35, was arrested in Manhattan Beach, California for suspicion of DUI.[45] As a result of this incident, Steven's wife Hope Solo was suspended for thirty days from the U.S. Soccer team for showing poor judgement in entering the car and arguing with the police.[46]

In May, Stevens was sentenced to 30 days in jail and four years' probation for driving a U.S. soccer team van while drunk. The judge also mandated a two-year outpatient alcohol program. Stevens had refused a blood or breathalyzer test; officers had to obtain a search warrant to draw a blood sample; his blood-alcohol concentration was at least 0.15%.[47

]
Other issues

On March 16, 2007, The Seattle Times reported that multiple complaints were raised against Stevens by other residents in his condominium complex. The complaints included vomit on their doors, used condoms on the back porch, loud parties at all hours of the night, and various noise complaints.[48]

On October 23, 2010, Stevens was arrested and charged in Tampa with possession of marijuana. Stevens had been pulled over for playing loud music, when the officer smelled marijuana, and discovered 38 grams of it in his car.[30] Stevens was sentenced to probation until October 2013 for the incident but returned to Hillsborough County, Florida jail on November 28, 2012, for violating probation.[49]

Under the radar? Are these folks completely clueless? 

Jeremy Stevens should be playing football in The Longest Yard.

What else can the butt lickers say. Cognitive dissonance is their mantra and has been for longer than their players have been alive.

Edited by Duck 1972
Didn't finish accidentally posted.

They are touting a coach that was great at a small college in South Dakota, when they ridiculed Oregon when Chip Kelly was brought in?  His biggest reason for being hired at Washington is doing well in the Mountain West?

I know a coach who won the Mountain West twice, and he was a coach for Oregon and is now at Texas Tech.  GREAT credentials...

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/27/2022 at 11:12 AM, Charles Fischer said:

However, would you prefer being massively over hyped and not even coming close to living up to the expectations, or flying under the radar and surprising people? I choose the later every time."

You may chose the later, but your team seems to be "flying under the radar" and then "not even coming close to living up to the expectations".

Plus, $C has "fight on", uw seems to have "lick on". 

• Haha 3

The fuskies have no problem believing the recent rivalry stands at 15-2. But they are completely delusional as to who has the fifteen and who has the two.

• Haha 2

I choose the later every time."

Okay, "academic prowess" Husky, that should be "choose the latter every time." But you were close. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/27/2022 at 11:43 AM, McDuck said:

Criminal allegations
Violent crime
In spring 1998, Stevens—a high school senior—was charged with felony assault, which led to three weeks in the Thurston County jail after testing positive for marijuana, which violated the terms of his home confinement. "The felony charge appeared to place his [University of Washington football] scholarship in jeopardy—but three UW coaches wrote the judge, saying the UW's offer was still good."[37]

In July 2000, Stevens was arrested and charged with rape. UW athletic director Barbara Hedges told news media that UW would investigate sexual battery charges; but the University did not. King County Prosecutor Norm Maleng's office "agreed to give crucial police evidence—the victim and witness statements—to Stevens's lawyers before the interview." This was directly contrary to standard police procedure, and the Seattle Police did not agree to release those statements. Despite DNA evidence, Maleng's office declined to prosecute.[37]

On March 3, 2011, Stevens was arrested and charged with felony battery for punching two bouncers in a Tampa, Florida bar. According to his attorney, who denied the charges, after Stevens was released from jail, he was treated for "multiple broken ribs and extensive bruising to his body and face."[38]
On November 12, 2012, Stevens was arrested on investigation of assault following an altercation that left his fiancée, soccer star Hope Solo, injured, but a Kirkland, Washington judge dropped the case the following day for lack of evidence.[39] The pair were wed November 13, 2012, the day after the arrest.[35]

Traffic violations

On October 19, 2000, Stevens sideswiped Donald Preston's Dodge Daytona on I-5 after "driving like a maniac" and "using the HOV lane as a passing lane." He fled the scene without giving any information to Preston. The State Trooper who tracked him via the license plate on his red truck did not charge him with hit-and-run but instead cited him for "driving too fast for conditions."[37]

On May 4, 2001, Stevens was cited for reckless driving and hit and run after crashing his pickup truck into a retirement home. The crash knocked a dresser onto a bed where a 92-year-old woman was sleeping.[40] Stevens first lied, saying he did not know who was driving his truck; he later pleaded guilty to hit-and-run and causing property damage and was given a suspended 90-day jail sentence, 240 hours of community service, and probation.[37][3][41]
In 2002, after signing with the Seattle Seahawks, Stevens was ticketed for going 98 mph in his new Range Rover. Three months later, he was cited for negligent driving and paid a $490 fine.[37]

On April 3, 2003, Stevens was stopped by Medina, Washington police and was charged with reckless driving and driving while intoxicated. He pleaded guilty to reckless driving. For violating probation from the May 2001 incident, Stevens served five days in jail effective June 12, 2003 and was ordered to do 40 hours of community service.[41] For the reckless driving charge, Stevens was sentenced to two days in jail, 25 hours of community service, and a $1,000 fine on June 23.[42] The sentencing judge compared Stevens to Reggie Rogers, another star University of Washington football player who was convicted of DUI.[42]

On March 13, 2007, eleven days after he became a free agent, Stevens was arrested in Scottsdale, Arizona for suspicion of DUI after his blood alcohol content was measured at 0.204, more than twice the legal limit of .08 and considered "extreme DUI" in Arizona. On September 7, a jury found Stevens guilty.[43]

Although the crime carries a mandatory minimum of 30 days in jail, the judge gave Stevens 12 days, "suspending the other 18 because he was enrolled in the NFL's substance-abuse program, the same program Stevens entered in 2003, after being stopped with two open champagne bottles in his car." The NFL suspended him for one game.[37][44]

On January 19, 2015, Stevens, then 35, was arrested in Manhattan Beach, California for suspicion of DUI.[45] As a result of this incident, Steven's wife Hope Solo was suspended for thirty days from the U.S. Soccer team for showing poor judgement in entering the car and arguing with the police.[46]

In May, Stevens was sentenced to 30 days in jail and four years' probation for driving a U.S. soccer team van while drunk. The judge also mandated a two-year outpatient alcohol program. Stevens had refused a blood or breathalyzer test; officers had to obtain a search warrant to draw a blood sample; his blood-alcohol concentration was at least 0.15%.[47

]
Other issues

On March 16, 2007, The Seattle Times reported that multiple complaints were raised against Stevens by other residents in his condominium complex. The complaints included vomit on their doors, used condoms on the back porch, loud parties at all hours of the night, and various noise complaints.[48]

On October 23, 2010, Stevens was arrested and charged in Tampa with possession of marijuana. Stevens had been pulled over for playing loud music, when the officer smelled marijuana, and discovered 38 grams of it in his car.[30] Stevens was sentenced to probation until October 2013 for the incident but returned to Hillsborough County, Florida jail on November 28, 2012, for violating probation.[49]

To be fair, that did take time to develop. 

Kind of fun to listen to the dawg homers predict last season. 

"No surprise Oregon was over hyped. We are going to have to get used to Nike influence; exerting influence actively or passively.

Jake Browning sacked by Jelks and Hollins_KC_FP.jpg

I would use the Willy Wonka meme on this one, but have used it too many times. The dawgs like to fly under the radar, right.........! Listen to the dawg homer below predict last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZn2pc7Lhow

Is it possible for fuskies to be "fixed"... ?

Sounds like an oxymoron.

Edited by woundedknees

Last year the puppy fans projected that they would have a shot at the conference title before any games were played. This year they have a program that will build character. 

At least they are starting to set achievable goals. Building character is much easier than winning games. The Montana game at least knocked some sense into some of them. 

On 1/27/2022 at 4:09 PM, Drake said:

Last year the puppy fans projected that they would have a shot at the conference title before any games were played.

That's the rub. It's always after the games are played that Washington has problems. 

• Haha 2

When I visit Seattle folks I always ask them--"have you guys seen Joe lately?" they say Joe who? I say "MONTANA"

• Haha 4

On 1/27/2022 at 5:39 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

When I visit Seattle folks I always ask them--"have you guys seen Joe lately?" they say Joe who? I say "MONTANA"

OK....now THAT is funny!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/27/2022 at 11:20 AM, jrw said:

They develop more academically prowessessnesserer

On 1/27/2022 at 11:43 AM, McDuck said:

Criminal allegations
Violent crime

Traffic violations

]
Other issues

Stevens team mate, takes a long time to read lots of Husky "character"