30Duck

USC Hyperbole on Overload?

Yes, since Riley took over, USC's future looked brighter, and, Caleb Williams Gives USC its Best Heisman Trophy Contender since Reggie Bush is true. But, if Williams does win the Heisman, that will be three Heisman winning QB's for Riley, but 0 wins in the Playoffs. 

Matt Wadleigh Trojanswire

image.jpeg.d086ebb900850eaaa2deb5746899d1ac.jpeg

• Like 1

Barrett Sallee over at CBS Sports has the Trojans making the final 4, IN 2022! Williams is the Heisman leader in the club house at -500. 2nd is Stroud at -250. Whole lot of love for QB that did beat an undermanned, disorganized Ducks team but lost to Baylor and OK ST. 

I did not watch the Alamo Bowl.   How difficult was Williams to deal with for the Ducks?

Do you look forward to playing against him in the future or are you wary?

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2022 at 1:20 PM, savagefund said:

I did not watch the Alamo Bowl.   How difficult was Williams to deal with for the Ducks?

Do you look forward to playing against him in the future or are you wary?

After watching Williams come in off the bench against Texas, i wanted him to get the Heisman. He can throw the deep ball, lead the receiver open, through tight windows, and he can run. But, he wasn't great in the Alamo Bowl.

I believe he is a Heisman front runner in '22, and the Trojans are a lot scarier than they would be if Helton was still there. Oklahoma had a lot of talent, had more depth than USC has now for'22. Oregon, USC and Utah will battle it out for the conference. 

Oklahoma promoted offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley when Bob Stoops retired.  He inherited an established system and assistant coaches who worked together and already knew the players.  The players all knew the HC and his staff.

Change OU to UO, change Lincoln to Chip.  The immediate results are the same but, when Chip didn't inherit an established system and staff, disappointing results are the norm.  Way too early to anoint Lincoln Riley as the second coming of Pete Carroll.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Omigosh, on the Damon Amandolara radio program this morning they were getting positively orgasmic over the Trojans, also predicting that they would be in the playoffs next year, and on and on and on....

• Haha 2

On 2/2/2022 at 2:00 PM, Annie said:

Omigosh, on the Damon Amandolara radio program this morning they were getting positively orgasmic over the Trojans, also predicting that they would be in the playoffs next year, and on and on and on....

Love it.  Let them set the bar real high right off the bat...

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Always the same bull. Just because they are LA and even Seattle. Prove it on the field boys until then it's nothing but pap.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another thought to ponder? Do you hurt your team cohesion and culture by overusing the portal.

It sure seems to me that it would cause more problems than what it helps especially if u use it instead of recruiting HS kids

Like USC LSU and FSU this year. Guess we shall see.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:20 PM, savagefund said:

This feels like a difficult question to answer... Oklahoma ripped up Oregon's defense but Oregon's defense was also playing third and fourth string walk-on players. Oregon's defense struggled with injuries all year long as it was but by the Alamo Bowl it was an empty husk of the defense that played against Oklahoma. There were some series that Williams' was contained by Oregon and overall it really wasn't the passing game that beat Oregon as much as the run game as Oregon's run defense couldn't stop the run. 

Williams' did have some passes that burned Oregon through the air but I think with a Dan Lanning revamped defense will probably make Williams' a whole lot more difficult. 

Just like Baylor and Okst shut him down.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Barrett Sallee over at CBS Sports has the Trojans making the final 4, IN 2022! Williams is the Heisman leader in the club house at -500. 2nd is Stroud at -250. Whole lot of love for QB that did beat an undermanned, disorganized Ducks team but lost to Baylor and OK ST. 

“I’ll see it when I believe it!”

• Haha 1

Always, always, so much talk about USC. So much potential, so much hype. So little achievement. They're like the Notre Dame of the West Coast.

I wonder if people under 40 are puzzled about what all the eternal USC chatter is about. They haven't seen much actually happen while they've been old enough to pay attention.

I'm not saying USC can't be good, but just wake me up when it actually happens.

Edited by jrw
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Having two teams that have potential to make it to the CFP is great for the PAC12. It makes winning the PAC 12 more meaningful and a game against USC becomes a must watch event. 

Strong competition is what great sporting events are all about. 

Lincoln Riley is a good coach, but hasn’t shown well on College football’s biggest stage. Let’s keep that streak going.

Go Ducks!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/2/2022 at 5:38 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Another thought to ponder? Do you hurt your team cohesion and culture by overusing the portal.

It sure seems to me that it would cause more problems than what it helps especially if u use it instead of recruiting HS kids

Like USC LSU and FSU this year. Guess we shall see.

It certainly did not hurt MI ST or Baylor last season. I think it all depends on the leadership qualities of the person at the top?

• Thanks 1

Did those teams portal in 15+ players last year?

On 2/2/2022 at 4:06 PM, Jon Joseph said:

It certainly did not hurt MI ST or Baylor last season. I think it all depends on the leadership qualities of the person at the top?

On 2/2/2022 at 7:10 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Did those teams portal in 15+ players last year?

Michigan State 'portaled in' over 30 players last season. One, an obscure RB from Wake Forest,  won the Doak Walker award.

On 2/2/2022 at 2:14 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Always the same bull. Just because they are LA and even Seattle. Prove it on the field boys until then it's nothing but pap.

I hope the spoiled children get schmeared! (At least, by the DUCKS!)

Edited by woundedknees

The last time the Troylets were flushed with success, Pete Carroll didn’t have to compete with the NFL for media attention or fans in the stands. Now LA’s pro teams have a Super Bowl contender, and the most popular young QB in town.  Don’t disappoint too much or too often Riley, or you’ll find that gushing press cadre eating you for lunch, and nobody but faithful frat boys in the stands.

How many 4 win teams have made the playoffs the next year? Just a winning record will be difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1