Charles Fischer

Lanning About Tempo on Offense: "It Has to be a Weapon For Us"

I am pretty stoked to have heard this in the interview on Wednesday, and fun to read about it and more.  It is a deceptive title, but there are good points to consider.

Dan Lanning Fully Expects to Continue Oregon's History of Offensive Innovations by Don Smalley of Ducks Wire

OregonST_12922-0388.jpg?w=1000&h=600&cro

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm still trying to process what we actually have in coach Lanning. So far it looks like we may have the best of the recent coaches strengths.

So far I'm seeing the defensive strength of Brooks ( those early 80's teams kept games close even with an awful offense), the organizational skills of Bellotti, the innovation of Kelly and the toughness of Cristibol.

I can't wait till we get to see what it all looks like on the field. And remember kids, the guy hasn't even been the full time coach for a month yet and look at all that he's done.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:25 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

So far it looks like we may have the best of the recent coaches strengths.

I am in agreement except for offensive innovation; we don't have to create something, but return to what we once owned...

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am in agreement except for offensive innovation; we don't have to create something, but return to what we once owned...

I'm referring to his innovation on defense. He seems to have revolutionized a few attacking concepts with blitzing mutations. It sounds like both Lanning and Dillingham have embraced Chip's concepts of full speed creative offense as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

100 on all of the above.

When I heard the 80 play aspirational target for the offense, my immediate question was how the D would hold up.  Chip pretty much sacrificed that side of the ball.  There is simply no scenario I can imagine a coach coming from the defensive side of the ball doing the same.

So really curious how you get big and nasty on D and yet run tempo.

My initial take/guess is this is what he meant by 'efficient.'  Long drives with tempo yet always happy to take the big play.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Yeah, Cristobal reverse mortgaged that history and I'm glad to see we are buying back the deed to that IP.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:46 AM, CalBear95 said:

My initial take/guess is this is what he meant by 'efficient.'  Long drives with tempo yet always happy to take the big play.

This is how the championships are won now. 

On 2/4/2022 at 12:55 PM, 30Duck said:

This is how the championships are won now. 

I heard Mario talk the talk. I sure hope Lanning walks the walk?

• Thumbs Up 2

100 on all of the above.

When I heard the 80 play aspirational target for the offense, my immediate question was how the D would hold up.  Chip pretty much sacrificed that side of the ball.  There is simply no scenario I can imagine a coach coming from the defensive side of the ball doing the same.

3 and out, with guys waiting on the sideline to fill in for anyone too gassed to play.

pushing-throttle-pedal-driver-presses-accelerator-suddenly-to-floor-as-situation-demands-to-leave-abruptly-passes-another-49524577.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I heard Mario talk the talk. I sure hope Lanning walks the walk?

Mario usually talked road grading the line of scrimmage. Lanning and Dillingham start there, but want to put players where the player can be most effective given the skill set, then play fast and explosive with tempo. BOOM!

Let's check verify "the walk" in M-B in September?

• Thumbs Up 1

100 on all of the above.

Seems to me Georgia did wholesale substitutions for the D line, like we did sometimes for the O line.

This means more bodies are needed but it also seems they are working on that.

I see DJ Johnson is back listed on defense. I thought his move to TE would make him a more desirable NFL product. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The ducks averaged ~72 offensive (some more than others😃) plays a game for 2021. 

Edited by Flyin Vee

On 2/4/2022 at 6:00 PM, Flyin Vee said:

The ducks averaged ~72 offensive (some more than others😃) plays a game for 2021. 

Under Cristobal the team seemed to plod along with 4 yard gains --that doesn't excite most fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

He won 10 games but 3 of last 4 were ridiculous.  With that talent on the field? HUGE thanks to Miami. 

• Thumbs Up 2

When the defense is sitting on the bench watching an offense take the pressure off they can lower their ears and go after the opposing offense. The key to this is can the D can stop long time consuming drives by the opponent and get the offense back on the field to help the O reach the goal of 80 plays.The backups get playing time, injures go down, players are yelling shout on the sidelines. Everyone is happy. Including us fans. MCs offense was like watching slugs making a run for the salt bowl.

• Thumbs Up 4

The bottom line is that if the other team can't score or score as much as you do; you win, they lose. Can't peel the onion any further.

I don't know if DL and staff can replicate the Kelly years but if they can and we play defense like DL has shown he can, but without all the talent at UGA we are going to have a lot of fun!!!!!!!

The Sun is so bright we gotta wear shades in Autzen.

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Thumbs Up 2