McDuck

Canzano Leaves Oregonian

I wonder if he's moving onto a bigger paper or maybe run his podcast full time?

John likes to do opinion articles, and perhaps he wants even more latitude in what he writes and is joining an independent site?  Just guessing, and I wish him well.

Mr. FishDuck

I wonder what happened behind the scenes.  A remarkably terse statement that a nationally known twenty year employee has already left implies friction somewhere.  Inquiring minds want to know.

• Thumbs Up 1

He has his own radio show, and I don't know the status of that either.

Mr. FishDuck

I enjoyed his work though he could be polarizing. He sometimes blew smoke and distorted opinion out of his northbound south end. And. I. Wasn't. Always. A. Fan. Of. His. Staccato. Sentence. Structure. He did gore the occasional ox that needed it (Larry Scott), though he went after the Chipster with a bit too much enthusiasm at times. Some Duck fans will cheer this. I'll kinda miss him.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I view him like I do Bill Walton; some love them, some hate them and I feel both emotions toward them!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hopefully they dont replace him with Fentress.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sadly real news and newspapers are becoming dinosaurs. I am surprised he lasted this long at the sinking ship named The Oregonian. If he can figure out how to stay alive in the new world of supposed news and newsmakers, good for him. Not a world for the faint of heart, nor one I follow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Saw this on Twitter but haven’t read it yet.

Canzano wrote more about himself than he did sports.  My feelings about him departing the Oregonian?  YEA!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 3/8/2022 at 12:20 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I view him like I do Bill Walton; some love them, some hate them and I feel both emotions toward them!

Excellent point. Funny, too, he just wrote about Walton.

Since the arrival of Cristobal he was less caustic, to me he seemed to have a real agenda against the Belotti's.

And Chip never endeared any reporter.

Guess he is branching out on his own and keeping the radio show, now moved to prime time 3-6.

I will admit that if I ever agreed with him, I would reread the article, and rethink my opinion, just to be sure.

I do think his stories about people were great, not so much about our Ducks.

Canzano, clearly a smart guy and a quite good writer, was never in the news business. He was an opinion columnist. As such, he had no real allegiance to the facts, but just to his own opinion.

I think he early on figured out the click-bait nature of modern "journalism" and played to maximizing the eyeballs.

There are a million people offering their opinions on sports; he was one of the better ones, but I won't miss him. I can hear opinions on sports from any barstool.

• Haha 1

Not that Bill Simmons isn't laughing all the way to the bank after selling The Ringer for 200 mil, but after he left ESPN, he fell off my radar.

Canzano is no where near as popular as Bill Simmons was at ESPN.  It will be easy to be independent, but I have a feeling his article views is going to go way down.

I decided to sign up for his free newsletter.  For what it is worth the excerpt below relates to OBD's

I'm buying what Jonathan Smith is selling at OSU. Also, I disagree with those who think Lanning is a hired gun who might ditch Eugene at the first sign of an SEC job. After talking with him recently I believe we may get to watch Lanning's three young sons grow up in Oregon.

https://baldfacedtruth.com/

"I'm not leaving you behind, though. I'm going to continue to work hard, write columns, break news and host a daily statewide radio show (3-6p) in Oregon. I'll post my columns here from now on. The sourcing I've developed over the years won't be wasted. I have so much left to say and I will say it unencumbered now."

On 3/8/2022 at 1:50 PM, Mudslide said:

Canzano wrote more about himself than he did sports.  My feelings about him departing the Oregonian?  YEA!

I'm with you....and this was the O's decision, according to Ken Goe.  

I might just renew my Oregonian subscription now.  Unless Fentress is promoted.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 6:44 PM, Tandaian said:

Not that Bill Simmons isn't laughing all the way to the bank after selling The Ringer for 200 mil, but after he left ESPN, he fell off my radar.

Canzano is no where near as popular as Bill Simmons was at ESPN.  It will be easy to be independent, but I have a feeling his article views is going to go way down.

Bill who???

Www.baldfacedtruth.com

Says he will continue to write on his own, with particular focus on the Pac-12. He is now "unencumbered." Watch out!

I'm sure a pay wall looms. 

Edited by Darren Perkins

Good luck to John Canzano.  I don't always agree with him, but he is entertaining.  Plus he seems to do a lot of good things in the community.

Not sure I will pay for access to his site if it comes to that.

found his interviews usually interesting.....probing even.  Signed up for the newsletter.  Don't always agree with him but he does writes well and interviews well.