DuckPhan19

DAT v Devon: Who Runs a Faster 40?

I’ve got DAT running a 4.37 and Devon at 4.41. Who ya got?

All I know is both are way faster than I've ever been!

• Haha 1

We got Dont'e Thorton at 6' 5" 205 lbs. with a 4.43, and finally a coaching staff who will know how to use him. Back in the day the coaching staff knew how to use Devon and DAT. We now have a legit speedster with height. If I was a coach, qb or fan I would be very excited. Last season I also saw him move after the catch like a defensive nightmare. He is the most exciting player on the roster in my opinion.

I wouldn't ever pick anyone who has played at Oregon over DAT. His football speed was worth the price of admission. That was also back when Oregon Football was fun, hopefully we can bring that back!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Both were- “Beep-Beep” fast...

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved watching Devon play with fire, but DAT in pads was a level we may never see repeated (Hope I'm wrong!).

The memory of DAT making a defender's heads spin trying to track him on the way to the end zone is something I will be seeing in my mind for a long time!

• Thumbs Up 1

DeVon clocked an unofficial 4.35 at Oregon's Pro Day on Friday.  Reality is the time differences are negligible, it would be difficult to decide the winner in a head to head race. 

Man, thanks so much for that highlite film. DAT was so fun to watch. The head and shoulder fakes, and the bursts of un-catchable speed were just beautiful.

Notice all the great down field blocking (and his ability to take advantage of them) as well, making a lot of those runs possible. What fun times those were to be a Duck fan!

Edited by Wood Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

DAT had the ability to change direction without losing speed (se WSU TD in 2011). That’s what made him so difficult to defend. However, his burst from standing still to full speed was something to behold. His 91 yard TD against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl is still a thing of beauty.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 2

What a fun video! At least twice a year, i tee up the Fiesta Bowl kickoff and DAT return just for inspiration.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/2/2022 at 6:05 AM, McDuck said:

DeVon clocked an unofficial 4.35 at Oregon's Pro Day on Friday.  Reality is the time differences are negligible, it would be difficult to decide the winner in a head to head race. 

I saw that and was amazed.  I don't know what his 40 times were when he was actively playing for Oregon but it feels like he's even faster than before despite the injuries he's had.  Extremely impressive, I hope he at least signs as a free agent somewhere...I'd love to see him get onto special teams as a punt returner and take one to the house!

On 4/4/2022 at 10:53 AM, kirklandduck said:

I'd love to see him get onto special teams as a punt returner and take one to the house!

Chargers please!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't have his time, but I know that Tyner was very fast as well, and bigger than both Dat and Devon. 

• Like 1

Just watching the opponents fans mouths drop when he had one of those returns or runs just tickle my heart and bring a smile to my face.  Special Player DAT!

Fast in a football uniform is different than fast in shorts and t shirt. Dat was a blur in full gear like no one else and could make cuts at full speed. Fastest man I have seen at Oregon. He ran past Mariota at Stanford like he was standing still.

On 4/4/2022 at 4:19 PM, Just Ducky said:

Fast in a football uniform is different than fast in shorts and t shirt. Dat was a blur in full gear like no one else and could make cuts at full speed. Fastest man I have seen at Oregon. He ran past Mariota at Stanford like he was standing still.

By contrast....Tyner was supposed be a sub-10.00 guy and we did not see that kind of football speed.  Good speed, yes, but not like DAT or Devon Allen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I played football and track in my high school days, but was definitely better at track. I enjoyed the little story arc with D.K. Metcalf a few years ago, when he tried to qualify for the 100m dash for the Olympics.

Here is a link to a video of his heat, the race starting about 2:45

Metcalf had an official 4.33 40m going into the draft, and it's easy to see how much more powerfully built he is than the full time sprinters in the race.

He kept up well with them for about half the race but faded in the end. I think that's the real take away, as @Just Ducky said.

Fast in a football game does not always translate to being fast on the track, or the reverse. DAT had that elusiveness and the ability to do the other skills that are required in football, such as catching and blocking. Devon has the speed and amazing body control to run that fast while leaping over hurdles.

However, Devon has focused on that one event for years, rising to the level of being one of the top ten in the world for multiple years. Whether that will translate into an NFL career remains to be determined I'd say.

My final thought is that if it were the 40 meter High Hurdles, it would be no contest 😄

Edited by Viking Duck