FamilyofDucks

Another Oregon Kid as a Preferred Walk-On Joins the Ducks

Ellis Bynum 3⭐️
@EllisBynum
Central Catholic HS (Portland, OR)| |3⭐️RB| |Class of 2022| |RB/ATH| |5'10” 195 | |3.7 GPA|

• Thumbs Up 1

Class of 2022 Preferred Walk On (PWO)

Last years HS season stats:

1011 Yards, 100 Carries (10.1 Yards Per Carry),18 TD's.

17 catches, 215 Yards, 4 TD's.

1216 Total Yards, 22 TD's.

I love all these solid 3☆ PWO the Ducks are bringing in. That's like 6 or 7 now.

These guys have the desire and can be counted on to really work hard in practice, which will push others to keep working hard.

We got us some smart coaches.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/12/2022 at 4:21 PM, ICamel said:

1011 Yards, 100 Carries (10.1

Woah! There is some real talent there, and almost shouts the type of combo RB that runs and catches.

A future Josh Huff?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

3* Cooper Kupp, nobody wanted him and he torched us, right!

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, Haywarduck said:

It wasn't just us! He has been taking advantage of NFL defenses for multiple years.

On 4/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, Haywarduck said:

CK worked his tail off to improve and is still doing that. He worked in Oregon last off season.

I'm hoping these PWO do the same, work their buttons off and make not just themselves, but the whole team better!

• Thumbs Up 3

Locklyn is creating depth at a position that was much needed. He has been successful everywhere he has worked, and I believe he will continue along that path at Oregon. 

I get the feeling that his RB’s will help him earn a nice raise for the type of production they generate on game day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Do walkons count against the 86 player roster?

On 4/13/2022 at 1:53 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Do walkons count against the 86 player roster?

I believe the current roster limit is 105 of which 85 can be on scholarship.

• Thanks 1

Did anyone remember this many and 3* to boot. I sure don't. Quite impressive if I don't say so myself.

Checking the roster from 10 and 15 years ago they ended with nearly 100 listed players.  Some kids leave during the year, some are dismissed so it is reasonable they started with about the maximum allowed.  Can't speak to the quality but not nearly as many high school players were rated back then.

• Thanks 1

There's another RB that also signed. I believe he's out of Cali.

Consider that the Ducks have 6-year seniors on the club. In a normal year they would be gone and their slots available. The result of 5 year and 6 year players is smaller class size from HS coming in. This is impacting all of college and high school football. The transfer portal will also reflect this as players who “settled” on a school move.

This new flock of Ducks put up their own coin to be Ducks, you gotta love that.

3* PWO, is this normal for Oregon?  A 3* can start and get a free education at dozens of schools across the country. I guess this is a reflection of the respect for this program and staff. Maybe this is normal, I just don't know.

Log Haulin, I was wondering the same thing. It's nice that we are getting these 3* PWOs and it appears that these guys are getting recruited by schools that they may be able to play at right away.

For us, they are an insurance policy in case of injuries. I am also in agreement that many of these 3* PWOs will work hard to improve their status.

I am not real familiar with the rules for PWOs. Is there a time limit for being a PWO or can the status be renewed each year if the player doesn't make scholarship status? I hate to think that we spend time and energy coaching these kids up and then have them leave for better opportunities to start elsewhere in a short time. I think being coached by this staff of coaches is a great resume builder.

And another one.  I love that the Duck WOs are 3 stars.  Many of our peers would be happy to sign that many 3s on scholarship.    haha.

A preferred walk-on is a high school recruit who is guaranteed a spot on the 105 man roster; a walk-on normally goes through a tryout process.  The PWO status only applies to the first year, after that a roster spot is contingent on practice performance.  Walk-ons can be on the team for five years just like a scholarship athlete.  On some occasions a walk-on will earn a scholarship but rarely before their final year.  The granting of a scholarship normally happens in the fall when a team hasn't used the full allotment of 85 full rides due to some type of attrition. 

As a general rule a three star athlete would be considered as a top 800 type player.  Each recruiting service uses their own numbers but generally a five star is roughly top 30, a four star is top 300.  Simple math leaves 400-500 three stars. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

While PWO athletes don't receive scholarship money, they do have access to the nutrition program, Jacqua Center, and other benefits regular students don't have. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It did seem like Mario wasn't too focused on the walk-ons and PWO's, and it is nice to see the regained focus on this critical part of the program. Every team needs the Rudy type players to push the elite athletes to perform.

Every once in a while you get a diamond in the rough who the recruiting services didn't properly evaluate. I love the seemingly renewed focus on the PWO and walk-ons. I also give Mario Kudos for this move.

Weren't Ryan Walk and Nate Heaukulani PWOs? I know the best of these kids get offered a scholarship when available and they are always favorites with their teammates. It also strikes me that 3☆ kids that used to be primary recruiting targets in the Bellotti and early Kelly eras are now willing to be PWOs at Oregon. Quite a change.

• Thumbs Up 3