Log Haulin

Should USC Football Fear Oregon?

"Nothing to fear but fear itself".

Right now, I don't see either program running scared, neither team would trade its coach for the other. But I like Lanning more, right now and in the future. USC needed to get Riley, a "Superstar". That's what works in LA. if Riley doesn't produce a sequel to Pete Carroll Snoop Dogg will be spending his fall in SoFi with the Rams and Chargers. Riley got OU to the Playoffs, 2 Heisman Trophy winners, and his QB this season is one of the favorites. It's win or bust for USC now.

Lanning hasn't missed a step yet. Hiring coaches, installing a new culture, recruiting. As far as I know, Lanning and the other coaches have rooms at a Motel 6. They're working to have Oregon ready for the season. Nobody is expecting the Ducks to win the Natty. But they'll be ready for every game and leave it all on the field.

• Thumbs Up 5

Considering that neither team has made the national stage in a long time........please don't settle on beating USC.......focus on beating Georgia/Alabama. 

If you focus on USC you'll be settling for what it takes to beat a program that has not been to the playoffs........ever....... and last won a NC in 2004. 

I have grandchildren in college that were born the year the last time SC won the big time. 

• Thanks 1

If Lanning/Lupoi/Powledge can produce the defense that everyone expects they can, and Dillingham brings the bang back to the offense, I believe we will certainly cause more frowns than smiles in southern California.

On that same note, we need USC to be as good as Riley is advertising. The playoff committee needs BOTH teams to be. We need west coast recruits to have more reasons to stay on the left side of the country. If both teams do what both teams are claiming then we could see an arms race of Cold War proportions. As we continue to consistently win and contend for championships and beyond (assuming SC can as well); we could begin stockpiling talent on top of talent. Riley and friends will attempt to do the same down south. 

As both teams trend upward, not only do recruits from the west coast stay home, but kids from elsewhere in the country start feeling the pull to play over here. Naturally, I am assuming we will succeed far better at this than USC (the Soviets, if I'm going all in on Cold War euphemisms ) so we manage to stay ahead of the talent curve. But having both brands in the national spotlight every single season will only help our chances with the committee!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Fear probably not; angry and frustrated yes!

On 4/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, fred flintstone said:

Considering that neither team has made the national stage in a long time........please don't settle on beating USC.......focus on beating Georgia/Alabama.

My friend, I would love to have the 'Natty between Oregon and USC....if Georgia and Alabama can do it...so can we!  

It will require extraordinary recruiting and coaching, and it is quite possible that both staffs are up to the task.  If both schools stem the tide of recruits in the west from leaving the west...to staying home at one of the two schools, then the conference and the schools win.

A pipe dream for now, sure. But it is possible...

We gotta do something

about the SEC!

giphy.gif

• Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, fred flintstone said:

f you focus on USC you'll be settling for what it takes to beat a program that has not been to the playoffs........ever.......

The humility here is how a USC fan differs from  a Husky Honk who has never shown up. Ther is an open invitation to Softy. There's no setting our sights on USC. Respect yes. But it's been a long time since a W over the Trojans meant more than any other win. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just don't see in Riley what everyone claims him to be. Okie was loaded when LR took control. From his first year to his fourth, Okie trended down. They were about to inplode and Riley knew it. Just one mans opinion.  

The amount of Duck media coverage in LA, one could argue, rivals Trojan media coverage. Trojan Man won't admit it but I believe the Lanning hire took the wind out of their sails. Secretly they are nervous. 

Ducks are in USC's head and throwing a party on their dime. SC will be good perhaps. My bet is in three years Riley will be begging Lanning for the OC job, yea, kinda like Kiffin did with Sabin.

• Haha 2

What USC should fear is Lincoln Riley being another Chip Kelly, wildly successful taking over an established program with systems and personnel in place but lacking the drive and insight to rebuild a damaged one.  

If Lanning doesn't succeed Oregon is out $20 million and a few years.  Took a chance on a rookie coach and it didn't work, time to move on.

If Riley fails the Trojans are out over $100 million and known as a place coaches fail.  Who would follow him?  Could they ever recover? 

• Thumbs Up 7

Fear is what Cristobal seemed to want to instill into other programs, but it never happened. Unless you are New Mexico State, playing the SEC then I doubt fear is too big of a factor. This was especially true because we didn't dominate inferior teams.

Now dominance and just giving up then that happens. This didn't really happen under Mario either. 

I don't think fear has much to do with football, unless you are crossing the middle of our defense trying to catch a pass and one of our LB's is closing on you. I would like to see dominance begin to happen under Lanning and teams just give up. That is the type of havoc I want to see.

I also don't think fear played a role against sc, they just didn't care as much. The fans they may have feared going to games, and watching the team never materialize, but I don't see the players getting into a fear thing. Maybe I am off base, but I don't see fear playing too much of a role in most football games. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 4:19 PM, McDuck said:

What USC should fear is Lincoln Riley being another Chip Kelly, wildly successful taking over an established program with systems and personnel in place but lacking the drive and insight to rebuild a damaged one.  

If Lanning doesn't succeed Oregon is out $20 million and a few years.  Took a chance on a rookie coach and it didn't work, time to move on.

If Riley fails the Trojans are out over $100 million and known as a place coaches fail.  Who would follow him?  Could they ever recover? 

Wow, great observation, Riley and CK, will that be the comparison? That is very insightful, as few coaches really have what it takes to turn a team around.

It is like taking over a restaurant location which has failed over and over. It is best to just turn it into a hearing aid center than trying to revive it as a restaurant most of the time. Maybe sc should just take their club soccer team, and start competing at the NCAA level, drop football if this doesn't work? I am sure these guys would love a little more love from the sc alumni.

68806155_2683540161670500_686661083313733632_n-5.jpg.webp

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/18/2022 at 7:38 PM, Haywarduck said:

Wow, great observation, Riley and CK, will that be the comparison? That is very insightful, as few coaches really have what it takes to turn a team around.

It is like taking over a restaurant location which has failed over and over. It is best to just turn it into a hearing aid center than trying to revive it as a restaurant most of the time. Maybe sc should just take their club soccer team, and start competing at the NCAA level, drop football if this doesn't work? I am sure these guys would love a little more love from the sc alumni.

68806155_2683540161670500_686661083313733632_n-5.jpg.webp

1 difference. CK's job came with a group of quality, assistant coaches who had been in Eugene for many a moon and had coached with Chip.. The team he took over was already running CK's O. And Nick A was the perfect DC for the offense Chip ran.

Riley is bringing his own guys with him to SC. But he knows most of the guys; he worked with most of them at OK. 

I think bringing Caleb Williams along for the ride is simply huge; especially, in year 1. Williams knows the OK/Riley O. RBs usually do very well in Riley's O and bringing vets in like Dye and Jones from Stanford is also a big help. As is Caleb Williams being familiar with WR Williams who also transferred in from OK.

This SC team in 2022 is going to be hard for many the Pac-12 team to out-score. And while it certainly will not be great, I do expect the D to improve under Grinch.

If SC was to win the south in 2022 it would not shock me in the least. Missing Oregon is very good break. And having your 2 top competitors for the S title playing at Oregon, UCLA and Utah, is also a favorable scheduling break for the Trojans.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2022 at 5:01 PM, Jon Joseph said:

1 difference. CK's job came with a group of quality, assistant coaches who had been in Eugene for many a moon and had coached with Chip.. The team he took over was already running CK's O. And Nick A was the perfect DC for the offense Chip ran.

Riley is bringing his own guys with him to SC. But he knows most of the guys; he worked with most of them at OK. 

I think bringing Caleb Williams along for the ride is simply huge; especially, in year 1. Williams knows the OK/Riley O. RBs usually do very well in Riley's O and bringing vets in like Dye and Jones from Stanford is also a big help. As is Caleb Williams being familiar with WR Williams who also transferred in from OK.

This SC team in 2022 is going to be hard for many the Pac-12 team to out-score. And while it certainly will not be great, I do expect the D to improve under Grinch.

If SC was to win the south in 2022 it would not shock me in the least. Missing Oregon is very good break. And having your 2 top competitors for the S title playing at Oregon, UCLA and Utah, is also a favorable scheduling break for the Trojans.

Good points, but I am sticking to my scenario!

6d0uml.jpg

• Haha 2

Riley is a really good coach, he's proved it as an offensive coordinator and taking over the Sooner job.  He took them up a level from where Bob Stoops was and if he had stayed at Oklahoma and they had stayed in the Big 12 they would have continued to challenge for the conference title every year and for the playoff.   

He is a huge improvement over Helton and they will be competing for the south title sooner rather than later.  Do you remember the epic games we had with USC a few years back?  The entire country tuned into those games because they meant something.   Those games are coming back.  The interest is already building.  People expect USC to be good and Oregon to be good and they want to see the clash of titans again. 

It's coming, it might start this year or it may begin next year but its definitely coming.  This is going to bring alot eyeballs to the Pac-12 at least for one game.  That's a good thing.  

• Thumbs Up 3

I’m sure we will get the trojans best game every time we play them from here on. Since the University of spoiled children will maybe play us in Vegas, I still think we’ll coached Utah and Stanford will be tough outs, Could be interesting. We may see who is more focused. 

social
API.CXENSE.COM

The Hidden Hills mansion was designed by Jae Omar and first listed for $15.5 million

So Riley gets a nicer $17.5M LA crib than the Super Bowl winning coach? Sets a pretty high bar for expectations from the USC fan base, I'll bet. Lot's of pressure to live up to them, and fast.