Charles Fischer

Canzano: Pac-12 Conference is Fighting More Effectively Under George Kliavkoff

Do you agree with John on this?

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Laughter at conference has stopped.

Mr. FishDuck

The PAC is heading in the right direction. 

I think Oregon would have managed to hire Lanning and company regardless of the rest of the pac-12, as Oregon just had that sort of brand. Lanning was fairly under the radar and was not a splashy hire but so far looks like a perfect hire ... But that's Oregon. 

Now... I think new Pac-12 leadership.has probably helped USC greatly and indirectly helped play a role in the hiring of Riley. USC needs splashy hires and even though USC is a traditional power house it has been a very long time since they have actually been a power house. 

Upping the conference brand and making football more of a priority has probably helped USC and help bring in Riley, at least indirectly and subconsciously. 

This last off-season has probably seen the the PAC make some of the biggest gains out of any of the power five conferences. Still have quite a ways to go ... We only haven't been to the playoff in a while even though Oregon has more playoff wins than the big-12 and Notre Dame combined. 

Additionally, the last time the PAC won a ny6 bowl game was the 2020 Rose Bowl and that was only by one point against the No. 2 B1G team so that isn't great. 

I do think the 2022 season is going to be bigger for the PAC. 

So far, a two-run home run hire with the potential for a grand slam (have to wait for the new media rights contract, hopefully we'll have a new analogy, a five-run homer).

We have to remember, Larry was fast out of the gate with a record breaking media deal.  Unfortunately, it was all down hill from there.

I am in favor of the Alliance vs immediate expanded playoffs since that would have given ESPN too much power, which in turn would further empower the SEC at this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Canzano has a bad habit of building a whole column around a compelling idea that he doesn't then dive deeper into --- in this case the notion that people aren't snickering at the conference anymore. OK, John, but why? ...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

RichardDuck perfectly summed up my thoughts on the article....this is a de rigeur Canzano fluff piece, but there are some interesting thoughts it sparks.  Naturally, he pursues none of them.

It seems the mood/culture has changed under George.  That's good. If Ted Kaczynski had shown up, he may well have done that much. The key as Steven A mentioned is the media rights deal.  And here is where I am glad we have someone like George K. with a media background.

Right, so he may not have collegiate administration experience.  In my humble opinion, leadership in today's NCAA requires expertise like navigating the world of broadcast media, evaluating streaming modalities, and strategic sports marketing (including NIL) to make the best deals for the PAC12 in the next half decade.

OK George is saying a lot of the right things and I'm cautiously optimistic he's got this thing headed in the right direction.  That said, he's got no real successes at this point.  The so-called "Alliance" doesn't have any scheduling agreement and can't agree on  CFP expansion, so it's pretty hard to call that much of a positive.

GK's success (or failure) will be judged by the new TV deal, playoff expansion and in the meantime getting P12 teams into the existing CFP.  Everything else is indeed "fluff".

I am optimistic.  However, anyone would be an upgrade over Tennis Larry.  

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2022 at 1:30 PM, RichardDuck said:

Canzano has a bad habit of building a whole column around a compelling idea that he doesn't then dive deeper into --- in this case the notion that people aren't snickering at the conference anymore. OK, John, but why? ...

If it's against the Ducks, then you're spot on. However, JC has been unrelenting in his criticism of Larry Scott - all deserved. I used to be a Clownzano parroter, meaning hating the man and his crap, and since the whole Pac-12 mess...which I think JC shined a huge magnifying glass on...I'll call Canzano by his last name. For now.

On 5/15/2022 at 6:36 PM, TexasDuck said:

I am optimistic.  However, anyone would be an upgrade over Tennis Larry.  

Now, that’s setting the bar Chubby Checker low!

• Haha 1

This is great news. The pac 12 needs to get back into the national spot light. It will help all the teams.....but especially the leaders.