Charles Fischer

Athlon Sports Says Utah Will Be 2022 Pac-12 Champions?

Duck fans...you like being the underdog?  I know I do, and Utah has no experience at being the "hunted," as it is quite a different mind-set.

cameronrising_2021_usatoday.jpg
ATHLONSPORTS.COM

Examining whether USC, Utah or Oregon should be the favorite to win the Pac-12 in the 2022 college football season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Well said Charles.  Whittingham has been a master of rallying the Utes around the underdog role.  Us against the world, no one respects us, the trojans didn’t even recruit you - all year every year.   This will be a big test being the favorite and getting everyone’s A game.  Not sure how the team will respond.  I think the talent is there, but it is tough to repeat.   Perfect position for Lanning in his first year - especially with Riley and the trojans getting all the love.  

This is going to be an exciting fall.  

• Thumbs Up 1

My Utah friend...I cannot tell you how many times that Oregon has been promoted as something great, the players get puffed up and then fall to an opponent they shouldn't.  (See Stanford game, 2021 for the most recent example)

It is really hard to not believe the press clippings, and thus not have the same determination that you had...such as when you faced Oregon the first time last year.  It can be the same team, the same coaches and the same talent as before, but a different effort given by the players.

So many times Oregon has tripped over their egos, and it is a BIG FACTOR for Utah, and not only do the players not have any experience with it--neither does your coach.  You could have your best team ever by the end of the season, but have two losses that shouldn't have happened.  It is human nature, and it is real.

If Utah can overcome that, then you ARE the champions and will deserve it.  (And I like the thought of Our Beloved Ducks being the underdog at Autzen when the Utes come to town)

Gaps Filled in Pac 12 Championship_Tom Corno.jpg

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

In addition to losing the edge of being underdogs, the Utes will also have to deal with the missing emotional commitment that grew out of playing for fallen comrades. To my mind, Whittingham is the type of coach who understands the best way to deal with such situations is to play through them, which is the right and only way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will be more intrigued by Phil Steele’s analysis.

Until USC and UO walk some walk on the field, you have to go with Utah as the favorites for now. I think the Utes will be even better next year but I also think the same for the Ducks. I have a believe it when I see it attitude with USC as it seems there has been way to much hype generated about them so far.

Whittingham is a great coach and out coaches most other teams, but he just doesn't have the talent to get to the next level.

Utah's best class was #33.  They have been between 33 and 50 since they have entered the Pac 12 in 2011.  He has been coaching in the Pac 12 for 11 season and has only won 10+ games 3 times. 

Mario was in the league for 4 seasons and had 10+ wins 3 times.  Chris Petersen was in the league for 6 seasons and had 10+ wins 3 times.

If you don't have the talent it is very hard to be elite.  Honestly, only Chip Kelly was able to be elite with less talent during his run at Oregon.  His offensive scheme made the difference.  Now, his scheme is old news and isn't enough to over come the talent gap.

Whittingham has never won back to back 10 win seasons.  He has been close with a string of 9+ wins, but maybe this will be the year. 

I have a feeling Utah is going to have banana peel games this year.  Losing to BYU and San Diego St. in games 2 and 3 really had them playing with no pressure for the rest of the season last year.  Starting ranked in the top 10-15 and the "lead" Pac 12 team is going to be a lot for the players and Whittingham.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/17/2022 at 6:27 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Until USC and UO walk some walk on the field, you have to go with Utah as the favorites for now. I think the Utes will be even better next year but I also think the same for the Ducks. I have a believe it when I see it attitude with USC as it seems there has been way to much hype generated about them so far.

I certainly hope the Ducks are better because it couldn’t have gotten much worse. Oregon was headed down a spiraling path the couldn’t stop. MC had already lost the team and I truly believe that the Ducks were going to have a mass exodus of players especially at WR and Probably a QB or two. I believe a healthy Duck team by the end of conference play will be the best team in the conference but I’m not 100% sure Utah will be the best in the south. We can bad mouth USC all we want but I wouldn’t count them out. They will be favored in most or all of their games and if they start winning games early then look out. Only time will give us the answers.

go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

So many times Oregon has tripped over their egos, and it is a BIG FACTOR for Utah, and not only do the players not have any experience with it--neither does your coach.  You could have your best team ever by the end of the season, but have two losses that shouldn't have happened.  It is human nature, and it is real.

Something tells me inflated egos will no longer be an issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, Tandaian said:

I have a feeling Utah is going to have banana peel games this year.  Losing to BYU and San Diego St. in games 2 and 3 really had them playing with no pressure for the rest of the season last year.  Starting ranked in the top 10-15 and the "lead" Pac 12 team is going to be a lot for the players and Whittingham.

Utah has a very talented QB that will keep them in position to win games.

I don't think they'll have as good a defense, but they are going to score times of points.

• Thumbs Up 1

I say CRY HAVOC, and LET SLIP THE DUCKS OF WAR !!!!!

• Mic drop 1

Utah is the kind of team that can beat USC and lose to Oregon St. I dont see them as a real contender but they can play tough.

At the moment I would say it is completely fair to say Utah is the team to beat. 

I'm usually wearing my green and yellow tinted glasses, especially this time of year and I think the reasonable prediction is for Utah to win it. 

I think Utah will beat USC this year and I think USC drops probably two games on conference play this year. One to Utah and one to someone else... My gut says UCLA or Oregon State (I'm not joking on OSU, this year's game is in Corvallis and those Beavers are hometown heroes under Smith).

I do think Oregon has a very good shot at the Pac-12 championship. I think Planning is going to have some strong schemes on both sides of the ball and Oregon is arguably the most talented team in the PAC.

If this coaching staff can get their players playing at a high level the PAC is theirs for the taking. Lanning is a first year head coach so if you're a national pundit then absolutely go with Utah, they have the continuity.

But... I think Oregon is going to beat Utah in Autzen and then turn around and beat them again in Vegas this year as payback for last year. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

we are rebuilding .  sigh again.  

USC. And it pains me to say that!   

As long as we stay relatively healthy I do see us winning the PAC. Last year we peaked to soon by beating tOSU. Then the injuries hit us harder than normal. Then the rest of the season was underwhelming and at times just disappointing.  That I believe left this team with a sour taste.

Then you add in better players then what left with better and more inspiring coaching and you have a decidedly better outcome predicted.

I believe to much is being made about the inexperience of the coaches. Bah humbug. I believe to much is being made about the new QB. He has 3 years experience in the toughest league. Our RB room is better with all types of runners. Our WR are taller and faster. Our OL will be one of the best the Ducks have ever seen. We will have a much better offensive scheme.

We have one of the best defensive minds to run our stacked defense with 5* talent everywhere. We are so deep and talented with experience in every position.

Our Special Teams will be measurably better. 

So where am I wrong in this analysis?

• Thumbs Up 2

I stand corrected,  But yes worried about the QB.  Go Dux!