Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FishDuck Article

What If Vernon Adams Didn’t Break His Finger in 2015?

Let’s say Oregon wins the Rose Bowl or loses in the playoffs if VA isn’t injured. My guess is 2016 would’ve been a little better. Even with Pellum still coaching the defense. However, I think Pellum would’ve been the sacrificial lamb and Helfrich would’ve stayed around to coach in 2017. 

Pellum’s defense would’ve still been familiar to the team. Even though the defense would’ve still been pretty bad, I think they might have squeaked out a win over Nebraska, Colorado or beavis. Maybe all three. The loss to the fuskies may have also not been as brutal. However, 6-6 or 7-5 would’ve still gotten him fired, but Helfrich would’ve survived.

As it was, Hoke’s new 4-3 scheme was horrific and ultimately led to the 70-21 debacle in Autzen. That game alone was the nail in Helfrich’s coffin. It was an unforgivable result. He was a lame Duck (pun intended) coach after that game. 

Now, had Helfrich ultimately coached in 2017, we may have never seen the likes of Taggart or Cristobal. However, Oregon would’ve had a new head coach in 2018. I always wonder who it might have been.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

Love the what if’s........this ones on the officials......

Auburn, NC game, near end of game. Auburn’s running backs knee hit the turf. He was down, no long gain, no field goal. Biggest non call in Oregon football.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:02 AM, Gizmoduck said:

My biggest what if is what if Helfrich plays Justin Herbert starting game 1? Is he still the coach? I wonder how things would've changed.

I have thought about this and I think that he might have gotten an additional season but on a very short leash. 

It would have shown that, yes, Oregon can recruit a quarterback and get results on the field. 

If Helfrich were to get another year then it would have come with the firing of Hoke and some oversight in the DC hiring process. Probably get Wilcox at that point or something like that. 

I'll have to think some more on this and maybe write an article on it later. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vernon Adams was an amazing football player. He was a magician with the ball in his hands and always, always a threat. In my mind he personified the heart and soul of a leader.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/24/2022 at 4:02 PM, David Marsh said:

Or Dyer was down... Or any of the other messed up calls in the 2010-11 championship game against Auburn. But those weren't Pac-12 refs. 

Found this video. Sorry to open old wounds. 

2010: The season that should've been. 

On 5/26/2022 at 4:47 PM, tee duke said:

Vernon Adams was an amazing football player. He was a magician with the ball in his hands and always, always a threat. In my mind he personified the heart and soul of a leader.

Agree. There was no quit in him - he never gave up on a play.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:40 AM, Krsmqn said:

Found this video. Sorry to open old wounds. 

2010: The season that should've been. 

I remember seeing this video at some point. That second play covered would have been an easy scoop and score for Oregon.