Charles Fischer

Jon Wilner, Mercury News: Washington will win the Pac-12 North

My apologies as I cannot link the article, because it requires a subscription.  But I wanted you to know what others are discussing from the article, and this was the big news. I would love someone to have subscription there and give us a summary when he writes, as some of his stuff is pretty good, but you have to put up with the "click-bait" like this article.

There is a pattern as I think he is trying to tweak Oregon fans and USC fans by predicting the Huskies to take the North Division, and the Sun Devils to take the South Division.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Well, Wilner thinks that Washington WON the North last season,, and I guess, certainly in Washington, and Wilner's World, they did, so he's just keeping that thinking going.

Yeah... we can say Washington won the North by the dumb rules of 2020.

By the same dumb rules Oregon won the Pac-12 Championship. So I'm ok with that.

Washington is back sliding... their offense was non existent last year ... doubtful it is going to improve too much. They have lost their best defensive coordinator and have gone with replacing their coaching staff with purely internal hires.

Washington has also lost a lot of talent on the field and with a recruiting class in the 30's that doesn't set them up to reload.

No... Washington will not win the North next year.

1 minute ago, David Marsh said:

Washington is back sliding... their offense was non existent last year ... doubtful it is going to improve too much. They have lost their best defensive coordinator and have gone with replacing their coaching staff with purely internal hires.

There is an article in that topic David....because I regard the Gregory hire at Washington the same as if Oregon hired Heyward for the DC job here.  Nope....MC was able to upgrade!

Mr. FishDuck

WA may have won the north, but OR won the PAC!

Now we are beginning on the road to the three-peat.  Go Ducks!

10 minutes ago, PittDuck said:

WA may have won the north, but OR won the PAC!

Now we are beginning on the road to the three-peat.  Go Ducks!

Amen Duck-Brother, because given a choice?  Both Huskies and Ducks would take the conference championship over the division any day!

Mr. FishDuck

Yuck! I seem to remember a guy by the name of Neiheisel make the statement that he was going to win the PNW. He tried to create some extra rivalry with that stunt. It didn't work. Now, Washington is squawking about winning the north. My take is that you have to play to be given the title. They forfeited their last game and then their ticket to the Championship. Nobody's fault. Washington had the best percentage, but couldn't play. Oregon could and then they did. They played then they won. ScoreBoard!

54 minutes ago, 1Funduck said:

Now, Washington is squawking about winning the north. My take is that you have to play to be given the title. They forfeited their last game and then their ticket to the Championship. Nobody's fault. Washington had the best percentage, but couldn't play. Oregon could and then they did. They played then they won. ScoreBoard!

We understand this, unfortunately, this series of logical progression you posted won't register with Washington fans who believe that a mythical half championship from 1991makes them a storied program. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 30Duck said:

unfortunately, this series of logical progression you posted won't register with Washington fans who believe that a mythical half championship from 1991makes them a storied program. 

And when did they get busted by the conference and NCAA for widespread cheating?  1992...which means they achieved their "half" illegally.  But that does not matter to them!

Mr. FishDuck

Grandma used to wash my mouth out with soap, when I told those sort of 'stories'!

• Haha 1

Perennial preseason champs, much like ND, even though ND use to win some. Must be the gold color which makes them think they are flawless.

The nice thing about being preseason champs is you rule for months on end without losing your place, or doing anything, the husky way!

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here. If I remember right the Pac-12 doesn't give out trophies for "winner of the North" or South. Only for the Pac-12 Champion. 

Guess who has that Trophy for last season ??  (Hint) It's not Washington. 

And next season, Oregon does a Three-Peat

As an FYI, Wilner’s pick to win the North in 2020 was Cal. 

Wilner went through a brief stretch where he didn’t hate on Oregon, but it’s back to the same routine. His AP top-25 is usually a comedic performance. For a while this past year he had 0-1 Arizona State ranked ahead of 2-0 Oregon. 

5 hours ago, 30Duck said:

Well, Wilner thinks that Washington WON the North last season,, and I guess, certainly in Washington, and Wilner's World, they did, so he's just keeping that thinking going.

In what kind of world does a team win a conference by not showing up for the deciding game - the only away game of the season??????

They probably also thought that they won the PAC 12 championship game by not showing up for it.

5 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

They probably also thought that they won the PAC 12 championship game by not showing up for it.

Considering how much they treasure their Mythy half a championship from '91, I'm sure they do. They're quite adept at winning when playing isn't involved. . 

• Like 1

Wilner is a hater of the Ducks.  Always has, always will.  Hacks gonna hack.

GO DUCKS!!!

• Like 1

Not to jump into the "hot take" category, I'd pick Oregon too, but, I could see an argument.

Regardless of future trajectory, Washington should be decent next year, solid on defense, safe on offense.

As for Oregon, I could see the argument, "until you have a QB, you don't have a QB". A QB at least that's going to lead the team through a 12 game schedule. From the outside, I could see the argument depending on a freshman QB is a lower percentage choice, and on paper it is set up for another Brown/Shough dance. 

Also, at least according to FBSchedules, Washington has a more favorable 5 game home schedule, with a number of their tougher games at home (Oregon, ASU, UCLA, Cal who they recently have struggled with). They also miss USC and Utah.

Oregon has the 4 home game schedule and appears to have more difficult road games (at Utah, at UW, at Stanford, at UCLA). They do miss USC and ASU though.

Edited by AnotherOD

When Wilner wants to lay money on the Pups I will gladly take his bet. The puppy fans are hopeful, but they will be paddling against the tide trying to win the north. 

3 hours ago, 30Duck said:

Considering how much they treasure their Mythy half a championship from '91, I'm sure they do. They're quite adept at winning when playing isn't involved. . 

Well, I guess they can claim a "Mythy" half championship... for not showing up at the deciding North game and not showing up at the championship game... But if they coulda, they woulda; and if they woulda... they shoulda, woulda, coulda won the championship.

49 minutes ago, Jon Sousa said:

But if they coulda, they woulda; and if they woulda... they shoulda, woulda, coulda won the championship.

You speak fluent Husky.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, AnotherOD said:

Not to jump into the "hot take" category, I'd pick Oregon too, but, I could see an argument.

Regardless of future trajectory, Washington should be decent next year, solid on defense, safe on offense.

As for Oregon, I could see the argument, "until you have a QB, you don't have a QB". A QB at least that's going to lead the team through a 12 game schedule.

I know a lot of us don't like how shough performed in 2020... I didn't especially as the season progressed, but I definitely wouldn't argue that Washington has a qb either. Morris through 4TD's-3 INTS. of which 2 of his TD's came against the worst defense in the pac12(AZ). He was 9th in completion %, and 7th in passer rating(every system is slightly different. I would not be surprised if Huard passed him in fall. Although if Lake is anything like peterson, he will probably keep Morris because he is the veteran. 

This doesn't even factor in that I think Moorhead will actually improve our offense next year as he has more time to instill his vision where I don't think Donovan will improve washington.

Omigosh!  The superb writing and research of UtahDuck is back!  How we have missed you our Duck-Brother, and WELCOME to the new forum!

It makes me want to celebrate your return!

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, UtahDuck said:

This doesn't even factor in that I think Moorhead will actually improve our offense next year as he has more time to instill his vision where I don't think Donovan will improve washington

I would tend to agree, only trying to take off my "duck colored glasses" and look at it from an outsiders perspective. QB, schedule, and, well, losing to OSU, Cal, and a dud of a bowl effort ... I guess I could see someone making the argument.

Not agreeing, just throwing it out there. Of the three points, the schedule would seem the strongest (if FBSchedules has it right, the Duck schedule isn't especially favorable).

• Thumbs Up 1