Charles Fischer

A Reason for All the Secret Treatment of Scrimmages?

Coach Lanning ran the Mint defense at Georgia, and I will be explaining and breaking it down just before the opener.  But during the Spring Game...he did not show any of the usual alignment that comes with the defense, such as the 4i-0-4i techniques of the three down defensive linemen.

He might be keeping Kirby in doubt as to whether he is going to duplicate the same defense at Oregon?

Kirby Smart and Dan Lanning2_Jeff Sentel of DawgNation.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I give a first year head coach a bye on the level of secrecy. As a first year head coach there is actually stuff that could be hidden and saved for the first few games. 

Same goes for Dillingham. 

Both Lanning and Dillingham have expirence as coordinators but both were heavily inflicted by their head coaches. 

So now that they have a chance to create something more in their own image why wouldn't they want to hide it from the world until game one against Georgia? 

After this off season it is silly to hide anything that will be on film from actual games. That is what I feel is the most annoying thing about coaches being overly secretive is when they are hiding stuff we already know about. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Great info,  Charles and I look forward to your breakdown.  

I heard on the 247 podcast after the Oregon Media Day that at Georgia they are much less cooperative with the media.  I remember that post-Chip, the fanbase was starved for more program access because they were used to the Bellotti era.  During subsequent coaching searches, the AD put an emphasis on media relations to appease the fanbase.  

In addition to your astute thought, it could be that DL's general approach with the media is tight-lipped.  In today's environment, I think even Mike Bellotti would handle media relations differently.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not complaining about it, but observing and trying to explain it. I agree with David Marsh that it hardly makes sense when you’ve been running the same offense and defense for years and it is all on film..,

But this is different.  Big opener against a former colleague, and it makes sense to make the Bulldogs prepare for several scenarios.  The only time Lanning’s offense and defense is truly unknown is right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Great comments, so far, on this topic. Charles looking forward to your upcoming breakdown and analysis.

Kirby and his staff should have a good understanding of DL's defense and what to expect. Any suprises the Ducks D can bring will be a plus. Having 2-5☆ linebackers in middle is a good start.

Also, I imagine that Kirby and his D staff will be looking at any previous KD game film they can get their hands on. DL, KD and the Ducks offense will need to keep the Georgia D off balance and guessing, if they want to win this game.

GO DUCKS.........

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thanks 1

I like the approach of general disclosure. If I were the hc I would give very limited information on injuries, upcoming contest, QB battles and the such.

After official depth chart, past contest played or full diagnosis of injuries, I don't see a problem with more in depth discussion and disclosure from DL.

As each contest is played, we as fans will discuss what we see. No rock will go unturned. It's part of the fun of being a fan and OBDF is a great place (the best)  to do that.

I would like to see a little more media access to practice as we get deeper into fall camp. We probably won't. 

Duck fans have a very high football IQ. Many of us had MC pegged after that first game in Vegas. Wasn't a good look. What I hoped wasn't true ended up to be accurate about MC coaching chops.

So general disclosure I am fine with, I get it. Won't take us long to figure out who the Ducks and Dan Lanning will be. Probably by the conference opener. 

It's going to be a blast discussing it on OBDF. Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

I'll show my hole card just as soon as you call !

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/14/2022 at 8:39 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Great info,  Charles and I look forward to your breakdown.  

I heard on the 247 podcast after the Oregon Media Day that at Georgia they are much less cooperative with the media.  I remember that post-Chip, the fanbase was starved for more program access because they were used to the Bellotti era.  During subsequent coaching searches, the AD put an emphasis on media relations to appease the fanbase.  

In addition to your astute thought, it could be that DL's general approach with the media is tight-lipped.  In today's environment, I think even Mike Bellotti would handle media relations differently.

I found Cristobal to be much more open in the first couple of years at Oregon than the last two. I remember him more openly talking about injuries and that sort of thing. His last two years you couldn't get anything out of him and he was pure coach speak.

Coaches can get away with not being open to the fan base when they are winning... which was why fans tolerated the Kelly era and Kelly not talking to the media at all and fans even tolerated it for the first 2-3 years of the Helfrich era because Oregon was still winning. But come 2016 and that disaster of a year fans and boosters wanted answers and not just coach speak.

We'll see where Lanning falls in all of this. I think he has a personality that is much more open than previous head coaches and that gives him more likability, but that doesn't mean he'll answer questions.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2022 at 10:16 AM, LuckeyDuck said:

I'll show my hole card just as soon as you call !

Here is to hopping DL can push KS off his pocket Aces. Kirby has the stronger hand and It will be something to see if DL  can draw his K on the turn and come out with a W. 

I would expect a coach to disseminate what happened in the film room first, and then discuss it with the players and staff. The last thing I would do is speak to the press and fans about what I saw.

I don't expect to see Dan Lanning dress down a player on the sideline, either. I expect him to take care of that kind of stuff in practice, create expectations, and then deal with anything in private. I think this kind of communication trickles up to how he deals with the press.

You don't want a qb reading, or hearing about how he did from a news conference. We may want to hear about it, but that isn't the smart way for a coach to deal with how a player performs. 

I am sure he is straight up to the players and coaches first, and then we will hear about it. That is the right way to deal with what is going on in building a program from the ground up.

I just think we are seeing who Dan Lanning is as a coach, and I like it! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Its pretty early in the practice season so consistency or the lack of may be an issue. 

Hopefully in time it will work its self out. I wouldn't be make any decisions now if I was DL.

As you pointed out FD, this is the only opportunity given DL and his OC to remain unknown prior to games putting them on display, so don’t look a gift horse in the mouth!

Usually, withholding information earns better results than blowing too much smoke. Leave that for game time.

At this time of year - as always - it helps to remember that every head coach standing before a microphone has numerous audiences in mind every time he answers a question; and, each one of those audiences imagines themselves to be the apple of his eye, and the most important.

Edited by Washington Waddler
grammar

On 8/14/2022 at 10:49 AM, Haywarduck said:

would expect a coach to disseminate what happened in the film room first, and then discuss it with the players and staff. The last thing I would do is speak to the press and fans about what I saw.

I think this is a good point as well. 

So much happens during practice and they have to evaluate plays from both sides of the ball that I don't think there is much that can be reported on by the head coach especially directly after a scrimmage.

Sure he probably has a few highlights in his head and those are the things that are usually mentioned along with the overall tone of the day. But individual players and plays ... Not so much. 

It would be interesting to have some questions asking about the scrimmage a day or two after the scrimmage itself. But usually reporters just move on to the next story. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like to preface my comment with I am very aware of Georgia's NC title and NFL laden roster. However, Oregon went to the Natty twice with less star power than the SEC and nearly brought home a trophy. Why is this important you ask? I believe Oregon has enough Dudes to hang with Georgia just fine. 17 points is ridiculous. 

I believe this is a slight roster advantage to Georgia but can be overcome by Coaching, just fine. Therefore, Lanning should be given as long of a leash when it comes to privacy for the entire year. Next year, I'm hoping that Coach opens up practices to the public for the first half and then closes it for second half. I used to love being able to go to the field and watch the guys scrimmage. What a great way to spend a few minutes of my afternoon.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:56 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am not complaining about it, but observing and trying to explain it. I agree with David Marsh that it hardly makes sense when you’ve been running the same offense and defense for years and it is all on film..,

But this is different.  Big opener against a former colleague, and it makes sense to make the Bulldogs prepare for several scenarios.  The only time Lanning’s offense and defense is truly unknown is right now.

I will add that it is a little strange that DL's defence is what made him famous.... so keeping a "new format" or "scheme" will actually take him away from what made him successful....

Or will it ADD to the success??? 🤔 

On 8/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, Quackanadian said:

I will add that it is a little strange that DL's defence is what made him famous.... so keeping a "new format" or "scheme" will actually take him away from what made him successful....

Or will it ADD to the success??? 🤔 

Vanilla defense during the spring game is pretty standard... not a ton of time for the install and all spring is about anyways is just making sure that everyone has the basics down and maybe a few extra things for some flare.

I'm also sure that Lanning has dreamed up some schematic ideas that he never used at Georgia just for the time when he is the head coach somewhere.

Georgia is a big week one opponent and quite possibly the biggest opponent they will face all year. So that is the game I fully expect Lanning to throw out some weird and wild stuff. Something that would give Oregon an advantage. Considering Oregon is going to need some added luck to stand a chance at beating Georgia something new and crazy is just what we need as well.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2022 at 5:28 PM, David Marsh said:

Vanilla defense during the spring game is pretty standard... not a ton of time for the install and all spring is about anyways is just making sure that everyone has the basics down and maybe a few extra things for some flare.

I'm also sure that Lanning has dreamed up some schematic ideas that he never used at Georgia just for the time when he is the head coach somewhere.

Georgia is a big week one opponent and quite possibly the biggest opponent they will face all year. So that is the game I fully expect Lanning to throw out some weird and wild stuff. Something that would give Oregon an advantage. Considering Oregon is going to need some added luck to stand a chance at beating Georgia something new and crazy is just what we need as well.

Most of the roster has played a lot of football. A ton of guys saw the field last year due to injury. MC loaded this team with top 10 talent and DL picked up some dudes in the portal.

I doubt it will take much to get the foundation set. Agree they had most of it done by the end of spring. Oregon will be ready defensively come Sept 3. 

Between Lanning and Lupoi,  I am sure there will be some twists but close to UGA as far as scheme. Looking for outside the box, "Why didn't I think of that", stuff from these two. 

• Go Ducks! 1