Charles Fischer

How Loyal Will Dan Lanning Be to Oregon? (Here is the Answer)

This is an outstanding article that will tell you a TON about Dan Lanning.  This writer is killing-it...  (From the FishDuck Feed!)

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Ducks coach stakes a claim in Eugene.

In so many respects...he seems to be "too-good-to-be-true!"  We should cherish the time he is here...and after reading this--I think it may be longer than most might think.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I already think Lanning's a great coach and he hasn't even coached a game yet, and his first game is only against his old team, the defending champion. This is the story I'd have written in the sixth grade. Chances are he could make a mistake. He hasn't yet, and I don't feel like losing to Georgia would be one. But sometime Coach Lanning might make a mistake.

As Canzano mentioned, the other coaches all had specific characteristics, haven't picked that up in Lanning yet. But I feel safe in thinking that he'll have the Ducks ready ay kickoff and whether the game starts great or goes off track, he'll deal with it. I hope he's the last Oregon football coach I'll see. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Coach, you might hate being talked about, but it's what helps us understand how you think and what you value. 

Don't worry, the really hard questions will come after a loss or two and possibly a head scratching decision that costs Oregon a game. Take the sift balls while you can.

I hope that this quote from Don Lanning (Dan's dad) is indicative of the family values that guide our coach. 20 years, outpacing Casanova, would be great.

“We made a promise to the Lord and to ourselves and to our children,” Don explained. “We would not move them around once they started school. Wherever they started kindergarten, we would make sure they stayed and graduated high school.” - Canzano from the Bald Faced Truth

• Thumbs Up 1

This confirms what I felt intuitively about Coach Lanning from day one. He at least partly came to Oregon because he thought Eugene would be a great place to raise his family. 

Who can blame him!

• Like 2

I will say John Canzano's articles of late have been great. O-Live must have really had him on a tight leash. He has really been showing the human side of sports. Now I actually look forward to his emails.

I really hope Dan and Sauphia learn to love Eugene and raise their children all through their school years here. It would be great for their kids and incredible for Duck fans.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Great article, and an even better subject to write on. 

The only question, is head coach of a D1 program his dream job? Does he have dreams of coaching in the NFL?

If he becomes extremely successful at Oregon the next challenge may rise up. I doubt it would be at another college, but will the next level challenge ever make Coach Lanning wonder?

For now we have an amazing coach, and one we need to remember lost to Alabama in the SEC championship game. We also need to remember he came back and shut down Alabama when it counted.

The game next Saturday is important, but someday when it really matters he knows how to rise up and win. That is what I will keep my eyes on!

• Go Ducks! 1

Boy...this is a honeymoon period for a coach like NONE I've ever seen.  We all so love him....until he blows a game.  But it is fun for now!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/24/2022 at 2:35 PM, cartm25 said:

Great article! Dan Lanning seems like a down-to-earth, good guy.

However, my heart has been turned to stone over the "coaching carousel" years. I can't, and won't, trust any coach that isn't Oregon-raised or an alumni of Oregon to stick around.

Too many unfulfilled promises, and early departures after promising starts from recent coaches not originally from the PNW.

"Loyal to a fault":

- Pittsburg (1 year)

- ASU (2 years)

- Sam Houston State (1 year)

- Alabama (1 year)

- Memphis (2 years)

- Georgia (3 years)

I understand that finally reaching the HC position should settle the movement down. To be clear, I am rooting for his success because I want the Ducks to succeed. But, since he has never been an HC before, there's no way -- at least RIGHT NOW -- I'm hoping he never leaves. We know very little about him as an HC. What if he's an amazing DC, but a horrible HC (obviously not hoping for this).

If DL is the next reincarnation of Saban, then of course we all hope he stays forever. When we're excited about a coach, we'll search for anything to convince us that he'll never leave.

It's true, he did not play college ball for some big, blue-blood traditional program, but we cannot forget that DL is born and raised in the South.

I cannot think of two areas of the country with more divergent cultures than the PNW and the South . . . From one of Zac Brown's best:

"Well I was raised up beneath the shade of a Georgia pine
   And that's home you know
   Sweet tea pecan pie and homemade wine
   Where the peaches grow
   And my house it's not much to talk about

But it's filled with love that's grown in southern ground"

I wrote a lot more than I intended, but here's what I hope happens: 1) DL is a great HC, 2) the Ducks find their way into the B1G or SEC, and 3) DL sticks around for a long time. If he wants to return to the South I'll understand, even expect it. But I won't convince myself he's staying forever if steps #1 and #2 are met. My stone heart won't let me. 

Also to your point. If anyone here has never heard this, put on some earbuds and enjoy. One of my all-time favorites 

On 8/24/2022 at 2:35 PM, cartm25 said:

but we cannot forget that DL is born and raised in the South.

I cannot think of two areas of the country with more divergent cultures than the PNW and the South

I agree with many of your opinions. But, I must point out that Missouri is in the Midwest... not The South.

Granted the Midwest is not the same as PNW... it is far more similar than The South.

Well, if home is where all of us want to go back to eventually, Lanning included, maybe Missou will be getting a great coach someday.  Just as soon as Oregon delivers him a National Championship.  Or, it it the other way around: He divers Oregon a National Championship?  

All this speculation and Oregon hasn't played its 1st game yet under the new coach.  LOL  (I know, I started it on this thread....)

Well I feel certain he will stay here at least until he gets a better offer. 

Edited by Pac10again

As with most things in life, time will tell.  DL is doing and saying all the right things so far but so did Mario and Slick Willie in their first years.  I'll return to this particular topic once DL stays beyond 4 years...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

On 8/24/2022 at 2:47 PM, Log Haulin said:

Also to your point. If anyone here has never heard this, put on some earbuds and enjoy. One of my all-time favorites 

Thanks Log Haulin for sharing, awesome tune!  I'll be checking out more of his music!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, olcodgerduck said:

Thanks Log Haulin for sharing, awesome tune!  I'll be checking out more of his music!

Glad you liked that. Definitely a hidden gem! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Loyalty cuts both ways. How loyal and supportive will the Ducks fans be to Lanning? Reciprocation.

Yep, JJ is a gem. He has got some soul.

• Thumbs Up 1