Charles Fischer

Did You Hear All the SLAPS Out There After the Game?

That was the million pundits who don't know much about Oregon slapping their forehead.  How many are eating crow right now?  Can I cook that egg on your face for you?

giphy.gif

• Haha 4
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

It's really nice, since the pundits are often looking for everything they possibly can to doubt the Ducks.

But there were also a lot of people here that were picking BYU. 

I picked the Ducks, but thought it would be close. Who really expected this? 

I think what we and the pundits learned today is that this can be a very good football team and shouldn't be judged by the Georgia game alone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Luke Combs ain’t slappin’ his head. He’s the only picker on Gameday to pick the Ducks and he didn’t hesitate. I’m glad the Gods gifted his good faith with a last second win for App State.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe Our Oregon coaches are doing a fantastic job of teaching!  Coach Lanning emphasis on  getting better 1% every play in practice and during games is becoming part of this team's DNA!

That's good teaching!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Blessed to watch this game from about the 50 yd line 20 rows up. Oregon outschemed and out toughed BYU. A lot more misdirection on offense, and use of Herbert as an H back worked almost every time it was used. Bo played a great game. Good touch on the ball, no bad decisions, ran the offense well, and he was a leader. I think it also put to rest some of the 'play Ty Thompson' shouting. It was a real disservice to have him try that lateral pass on his 1st down from scrimmage. They should have let him run the offense. He seemed uncertain after that.

Defense played great. I counted one missed tackle. They threw it at Gonzales once and then hardly ever came his way after that. Bridges  had a rough game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Manning play more in the future.  No Justin Flowe even though he was suited up, and even Sewell was used sparingly given all the nickel and dime packages. Not many sacks, but a lot of BYU's failures on 3rd and 4th downs were coverage victories for the D. Bassa had a game and I'm looking forward to watching the replay to see who else stood out.

DL will say that the team will 'go to the doctor' to fix what went wrong, but this win was one of the most enjoyable I've seen at Autzen in years and it was just what the doctor ordered 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Everyone is still judging Oregon on that week one game. It was a very bad get for Oregon. 

But this team is far more than that. If Oregon were to play Georgia next week it would still be a loss but Oregon would look a whole lot better. 

Who knows ... There is the possibility we play Georgia again this year. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/17/2022 at 5:07 PM, David Marsh said:

Everyone is still judging Oregon on that week one game. It was a very bad get for Oregon. 

But this team is far more than that. If Oregon were to play Georgia next week it would still be a loss but Oregon would look a whole lot better. 

If Oregon dominates like today, beat Utes then SC in Pac champ game? A rematch with Dawgs is a very real possibility. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/17/2022 at 5:02 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Blessed to watch this game from about the 50 yd line 20 rows up. Oregon outschemed and out toughed BYU. A lot more misdirection on offense, and use of Herbert as an H back worked almost every time it was used. Bo played a great game. Good touch on the ball, no bad decisions, ran the offense well, and he was a leader. I think it also put to rest some of the 'play Ty Thompson' shouting. It was a real disservice to have him try that lateral pass on his 1st down from scrimmage. They should have let him run the offense. He seemed uncertain after that.

Defense played great. I counted one missed tackle. They threw it at Gonzales once and then hardly ever came his way after that. Bridges  had a rough game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Manning play more in the future.  No Justin Flowe even though he was suited up, and even Sewell was used sparingly given all the nickel and dime packages. Not many sacks, but a lot of BYU's failures on 3rd and 4th downs were coverage victories for the D. Bassa had a game and I'm looking forward to watching the replay to see who else stood out.

DL will say that the team will 'go to the doctor' to fix what went wrong, but this win was one of the most enjoyable I've seen at Autzen in years and it was just what the doctor ordered 

I was impressed with Manning. He earned minutes today.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:14 PM, Log Haulin said:

I was impressed with Manning. He earned minutes today.

Secondary still has a long way to go on the whole. But that secondary has made some serious improvements over the course of the last few games. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/17/2022 at 8:12 PM, Log Haulin said:

If Oregon dominates like today, beat Utes then SC in Pac champ game? A rematch with Dawgs is a very real possibility. 

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. UGA might actually try bury the Ducks the next time they play.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 9/17/2022 at 5:39 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. UGA might actually try bury the Ducks the next time they play.

It will be a blast finding out. I feel pretty good about next week. Cougs are a good football team. Grab another 1%.

If Ducks play better than they did today, Cougs don't stand a chance. Duck football is fun again. It's good to be a Duck fan.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 4:43 PM, Smith72 said:

I believe Our Oregon coaches are doing a fantastic job of teaching!

I agree 100%.  You can hear that theme in the pre and post game interviews.  The players and coaches are focused on practicing hard and focusing on clean fundamentals.  The scheme was good today but the players were just executing really well.  Some of today was skills advantage from Oregon's recruiting but the fundamentals were there and that allows the talent to shine through.

The danger is going into Pullman next Saturday.  The Cougs are playing some ball and Pullman is an atmosphere.  If the maturity is there the players will take what the coaches are teaching about playing 1 down football and keep focusing on execution.  If they do, Oregon will handle the Cougs.  If they don't...  

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Thanks East Bay Duckdad for a great post.

How long has it been since we were able to say this:

Oregon out schemed and  out toughed BYU.

•  
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, Charles Fischer said:

That was the million pundits who don't know much about Oregon slapping their forehead.  How many are eating crow right now?  Can I cook that egg on your face for you?

giphy.gif

I'm certainly one of them

On 9/17/2022 at 7:49 PM, Mike West said:

I'm certainly one of them

That was not directed at you or any OBD members, but the media who were not always kind to Oregon in their analysis.  

In terms of predictions, I've been humbled so many times that I'm just trying to hit 50% where I can. 

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/17/2022 at 7:54 PM, Charles Fischer said:

That was not directed at you or any OBD members, but the media who were not always kind to Oregon in their analysis.  

In terms of predictions, I've been humbled so many times that I'm just trying to hit 50% where I can. 

Oh I know.  I got a good look at OBD last week and they looked out of sync.  It bothered me so much I expected a loss.

One big factor is home field advantage . If we can show up in the road, and play better than this week ( rinse and repeat), this team will be pretty good.

Out of nowhere, the conference is playing well against stiff competition.  Means we have to up our game.

Very good showing today.  Can't wait to see the tape.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 7:07 PM, David Marsh said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479bvzc0dq46jqznzms6

On 9/17/2022 at 8:00 PM, Mike West said:

Oh I know.  I got a good look at OBD last week and they looked out of sync.  It bothered me so much I expected a loss.

One big factor is home field advantage . If we can show up in the road, and play better than this week ( rinse and repeat), this team will be pretty good.

Out of nowhere, the conference is playing well against stiff competition.  Means we have to up our game.

Very good showing today.  Can't wait to see the tape.

My concern also. Gonzalez looks to be lockdown. Bridges got exposed. LB? names heard in game play were Funa and Brown. Not the names we have been expecting. Maybe there is an answer there. 

Only two areas of concern for the Ducks. LB and secondary. O line played brilliant, game ball performance for sure. 

On 9/17/2022 at 8:35 PM, Log Haulin said:

My concern also. Gonzalez looks to be lockdown. Bridges got exposed. LB? names heard in game play were Funa and Brown. Not the names we have been expecting. Maybe there is an answer there. 

Only two areas of concern for the Ducks. LB and secondary. O line played brilliant, game ball performance for sure. 

LaDuke made some plays early on and I heard his name. Haven't heard Sewell too often. Granted BYU really focused on trying to attack the edges. Sewell anchors the middle more and I get the feeling a lot of teams are trying to run away from Sewell. 

The secondary had some good moments but was inconsistent over the course of the entire game. 

The center of the Oregon defense has been getting good push for the past few weeks, even against Georgia the center of their offensive line was pushed backwards. 

The next step for the front seven is getting pressure on the quarterback himself and getting him on the ground. 

That will take the secondary holding their coverage longer and more consistently. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

On 9/17/2022 at 9:35 PM, Log Haulin said:

Bridges got exposed. LB? names heard in game play were Funa and Brown. Not the names we have been expecting. Maybe there is an answer there. 

Brown looked good in coverage and Funa is getting better at it. Bassa is by far the best in pass coverage and I love the way he is being used to cover RB's any TE's. as a former safety he has the speed and discipline to be in the right place at the right time. Just neededs to make the tackle which he did well tonight.

Bridges is just to a little too slow to stop the curl route and doesn't seam to change direction well. He is 6'4" and seems more like a natural safety as he's better coming down hill and zone.

• Go Ducks! 1

Credit the O-Line for excellent play most of the game. We witnessed new combinations of players, different roles for Tight Ends, and other combinations. The OL has been formerly somewhat disappointing, but showed pomise and dominance against a physical BYU.

Additionally, the big boys inside on defense showed up and excelled at times. 

Both lines did their jobs against BYU.

The running backs are running smarter under Locklyn than over the past 3 years. They look where they are running, follow blockers, and find daylight. No more blindly running to the called gap.

Edited by Notalot
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/18/2022 at 5:59 AM, Notalot said:

The running backs are running smarter under Locklyn than over the past 3 years. They look where they are running, follow blockers, and find daylight. No more blindly running to the called gap.

Night and day--such a good point!

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/17/2022 at 5:07 PM, David Marsh said:

LOL.  Let's hope not!

Next year, maybe ...

On 9/18/2022 at 9:38 AM, Mic said:

LOL.  Let's hope not!

Next year, maybe ...

I'm not saying it is desirable... 

Though if we do then we have had a very good season. It would be really tough to end the season with another butt kicking though. 

On 9/18/2022 at 9:41 AM, David Marsh said:

I'm not saying it is desirable... 

Though if we do then we have had a very good season. It would be really tough to end the season with another butt kicking though. 

I'm thinking, right about now after watching Georgia play three games, NO ONE is gonna beat this team, sans a few key injuries and a bolt of lightening. Maybe Alabama?  Maybe Ohio State?  Naw, not tOSU.  Of course, matchups bing what they are, the right matchup could prove me wrong.

But I get your gist.  Oregon could be in for a pretty successful season.  To be playing this well with 53 Freshmen and 43 Sophomores, a transfer QB and an entirely new coaching staff is pretty impressive.  We'll know even more after they fly home from Spokane next weekend. Or whether BYU was over-rated or not.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:12 PM, Log Haulin said:

Woof, careful what you wish for. For Lanning's first year I'd be thrilled with a Pac12 championship win over an entitled, sniveling, transfer portal dependent U$C, then a Rose Bowl win over another overrated BIG team like Penn St. or Michigan. Let tOSU get eviscerated by Georgia in the CFP as a prelude to burying whatever SEC team is anointed by Paul Finebaum to challenge them in the Natty. Not that Oregon should shy away from another shot at the Dawgs, but I don't see that Georgia freight train being derailed by anyone this year. Oregon's time will come. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2