Pennsylvania Duck

THE TOP 25 CFP RANKINGS HAVE ARRIVED‼️

UGA at #3?!?! UGA is the undefeated national champs. Put them at #1 until they get beat.

Why is 2 loss LSU at 10? 

• Like 1

DUCKS OPEN AT NO. 8 IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF RANKINGS

GODUCKS.COM

The Ducks are No. 8 in the first College Football Playoff rankings, the highest ranked Pac-12 team and the second-highest ranked...

PODCAST: Reacting to Oregon's placement in the first CFP rankings and much more

247SPORTS.COM

The College Football Playoff Rankings are out for the first week of November and we've got a reaction to the Ducks being included...

Agree LSU way too high. No way they should be ranked over UCLA.

Tennessee/Georgia huge this week, but I doubt we move up either way especially if Georgia loses there's no way we leap frog them after our ugly loss.

#8 is about as good as a scenario as could have been hoped for.  Gives plenty of time to rise 4 spots should things shake up enough in the coming weeks.  

Edited by BYUTexan
  • Thumbs Up 1

We need to win out and a few teams need to lose. Here's hoping!!

On 11/1/2022 at 4:19 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

What? 12, 13 & 25 get no luv?  lol😆

5 takeaways from the first Playoff poll of 2022

1. 1. The contender with the biggest gripe
  2. 2. The contender who got the most fortunate ranking
  3. 3. The SEC makes history with Tennessee at No. 1
  4. 4. Ohio State getting the No. 2 spot instead of Georgia
  5. 5. How many teams can actually make the Playoff?

Now let's discuss these 5 points...

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

What did Tuesday night's ranking show reveal?

• Haha 1

College Football Playoff ranking: Winners, losers and a 12-team bracket

Lots of different topics covered...Interesting read

WWW.ESPN.COM

Tennessee tops the first of six rankings that will determine the participants of this year's college football playoff. Here's what we...

Jon Wilner: Pac-12 places five teams in initial CFP rankings (and it has been years since we could say that)

Oregon led the group and was joined in the top 10 by USC

It’s the first time the conference has placed five teams in the selection committee’s initial rankings

since the 2017 season, which was the last year the Pac-12 received an at-large berth in the New Year’s Six bowl games.

WWW.EASTBAYTIMES.COM

Oregon led the Pac-12 group with a No. 8 ranking, followed by USC, UCLA, Utah and Oregon State.

Please don’t hate me, but I am thrilled to see the Beavs on the CFP rankings. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 6:33 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

College Football Playoff ranking: Winners, losers and a 12-team bracket

Lots of different topics covered...Interesting read

WWW.ESPN.COM

Tennessee tops the first of six rankings that will determine the participants of this year's college football playoff. Here's what we...

Just one, tiny snippet of the larger article above (which is pretty interesting, esp where it discusses Oregon's chances) to show us why "ranking" teams to set up playoff berths instead of setting them by wins in their respective conferences is so dicey and frivolous:

"3. Tulane (7-1), ranked 19th: The good news is Tulane is the top-ranked Group of 5 team. The bad news is the Green Wave are ranked six spots behind Kansas State, which has two losses, including one to ... Tulane!

It's stuff like this that shows the bias that exists in college football and those who do the choosing.  Not that Kansas St. is one of the darlings, 'cause they're certainly not!

On 11/1/2022 at 8:58 PM, noDucknewby said:

Agree LSU way too high. No way they should be ranked over UCLA.

Tennessee/Georgia huge this week, but I doubt we move up either way especially if Georgia loses there's no way we leap frog them after our ugly loss.

Well, Bama needs a top 10 win to stay within reach of the final 4. That’s how the SEC works. They get favorable rankings for their middle and top tier teams, so that wins look great and losses don’t look as bad. In my line of work, we call that a “self-licking ice cream cone”.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 3

To have a chance Oregon has to win out and be impressive in doing so. 

Tennessee - Georgia will mean one of them becomes a one loss team, Michigan - Ohio St. will mean one of them is a one loss team.

Alabama still has at LSU, at Ol Miss and Auburn. I wouldn't be greatly surprised to see them come out of that with an L, but also wouldn't count on it.

TCU has won several games by a shoe string. Could take a L. 

Best thing for Oregon, Georgia butt stomps Tennessee, the OSU team up north game is not close (go Buckeyes), Alabama loses again and Georgia beats a one loss team in the SEC championship, TCU loses twice and of course Oregon wins out including an impressive win in the PAC championship. 

Then there is a chance.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

BUCKEYESWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Here is everything the CFP committee said about Ohio State after revealing the first release of the 2022 CFP rankings. #GoBucks

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“What they’ve been able to do since that (Georgia loss) I think has really turned the committee’s heads.”

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Joel Klatt discusses the Pac-12 conference in the CFP rankings, and discusses the highly ranked Oregon Ducks, USC Trojans, UCLA Bruins and Utah Utes. Klatt talked different scenarios that could...

AUTZENZOO.COM

Oregon football could have landed anywhere in the first College Football Playoff rankings of the year but found a good place at No. 8 with four games to go...

WWW.USATODAY.COM

November features four Saturdays of matchups that will impact the College Football Playoff. Here's the nine biggest games that will decide the race.

Winning a game does need to mean something, but Tulane's win over KSU doesn't mean Tulane has to be ranked over KSU.  Final score was 17-10.  Especially, in a 1 score game.  That is Tulane's only win over a P5 team.  KSU has 5 wins over P5 teams.  Tulane lost to Southern Miss.  Head to head really only works when both teams are in the same conference and even then, the winner isn't always considered the better team.

Did Stanford deserve to be ranked over Oregon last year?  Did Oregon deserve to be ranked ahead of tOSU at the end of the season?  It isn't always easy to say if team A beat team B, then team A has to be ranked higher.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The Pac-12 has a narrow path toward a College Football Playoffs berth, but about 10 things would have to break its way. Don't count on it.

On 11/2/2022 at 5:40 AM, OhioDuck said:

Then there is a chance.

It's going to come down to the "four best no-loss & 1-loss teams" ... unless the powers to be want to let TCU into the hallowed club of Playoff Teams.  I'm not sure they're ready to do that.  How they determine (select) the best 1-loss teams is anyones wild guess.  Branding, I suspect.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:01 AM, Mic said:

It's going to come down to the "four best no-loss & 1-loss teams" ... unless the powers to be want to let TCU into the hallowed club of Playoff Teams.  I'm not sure they're ready to do that.  How they determine (select) the best 1-loss teams is anyones wild guess.  Branding, I suspect.

Yep the old "eye test" which is code for whomever the powers that be want.  

I hope I'm wrong, but the Pac-12 is screwed unless TCU loses.  Let's assume Clemson wins out, they aren't playing a ranked team the rest of the year.  Either tOSU or Michigan goes undefeated, there's no real serious challenger outside of those two (yeah maybe Illinois, but not likely IMHO).   If we have three undefeated conference champs (B12, ACC and B1G) they have to go and you know damn well the SEC champ is going unless maybe they have two losses (which I also think is unlikely).

On our end we have to have a 12-1 champ that wins in impressive fashion.  Sure there's a chance, but it's unlikely we control our own destiny.  

Edited by noDucknewby

Washington would likely be ranked if they beat the Beavers, but with both teams at 6-2 and the Beavers already ranked, it would be a better eye test win for the Beavers to keep winning.

No P5 undefeated conference champion better be left out.  Only 2 maybe 3 more years at 4 teams.  I doubt there will be 5 undefeated teams at the end of the season in the next 2 or 3 years.

On 11/2/2022 at 8:40 AM, OhioDuck said:

Tennessee - Georgia will mean one of them becomes a one loss team, Michigan - Ohio St. will mean one of them is a one loss team.

Alabama still has at LSU, at Ol Miss and Auburn. I wouldn't be greatly surprised to see them come out of that with an L, but also wouldn't count on it.

TCU has won several games by a shoe string. Could take a L. 

Best thing for Oregon, Georgia butt stomps Tennessee, the OSU team up north game is not close (go Buckeyes), Alabama loses again and Georgia beats a one loss team in the SEC championship, TCU loses twice and of course Oregon wins out including an impressive win in the PAC championship. 

Then there is a chance.

lol...

I want my Ducks to do all that.  I just dont think the committee will get over the Ga loss.  It was just the wrong game to play in a transition year. 

I think I really need to see how the Ducks finish before I can fully evaluate if we belong in the playoffs.   Its weird because, I know we can beat OSU, Mich, and Clemson.  I really feel that. 

I just dont want to go and end up like how Notre Dame does...lol

On 11/2/2022 at 12:43 PM, Lrod said:

I just dont want to go and end up like how Notre Dame does...lol

Or Oklahoma...

Speaking of ND, at least they are no longer overrated this year.  But how the heck does Syracuse make No. 20 after being beat by a 3-loss ND team that had lost to Marshall and Stanford?  Stupid rankings.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, noDucknewby said:

On our end we have to have a 12-1 champ that wins in impressive fashion.  Sure there's a chance, but it's unlikely we control our own destiny.  

For those who like conspiracies, here's one:

A 1-loss Oregon winning the Pac-12 Championship and finishing 12-1 gets left out (they'll use that 1st game against us).

A 1-loss USC winning the Pac-12 Championship and finishing 12-1 gets put in IF there are 2 other 1-loss teams.  

In fact, I'd be willing to bet a dollar-to-a-donut a 12-1 USC would trump TCU, maybe even Clemson simply because the CFB has been wanting to get USC back in the picture for a long time now.  They'd really love to have USC and/or ND in it together, but ND didn't cooperate with the program this year.

How's that for conspiracies?

If there are 4 P5 undefeated champs, I don't see any reason to put in a 12-1 Pac 12 team.  A 12-1 USC lost on the road by a single point to a very good Utah team, is much easier to talk away than a 49-3 loss.

My personal preference is to go 13-1 and winning the Rose Bowl.  Likely finishing #3 or 4 in the final poll.  Although that reduces the conference payout by 2 mil.  

Each conference receives $6 million from the College Football Playoff for each team selected for a semifinal game and $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the College Football Playoff. There is no additional payout for the National Championship Game, only additional expenses covered.

AUTZENZOO.COM

Oregon football is in a prime position to finish the season within the top four of the College Football Playoff rankings, and this week's games can impact ...

On 11/2/2022 at 9:35 PM, Mic said:

For those who like conspiracies, here's one:

A 1-loss Oregon winning the Pac-12 Championship and finishing 12-1 gets left out (they'll use that 1st game against us).

A 1-loss USC winning the Pac-12 Championship and finishing 12-1 gets put in IF there are 2 other 1-loss teams.  

In fact, I'd be willing to bet a dollar-to-a-donut a 12-1 USC would trump TCU, maybe even Clemson simply because the CFB has been wanting to get USC back in the picture for a long time now.  They'd really love to have USC and/or ND in it together, but ND didn't cooperate with the program this year.

How's that for conspiracies?

Not all that far-fetched IMHO.  The networks love blue bloods and to think they don't have a huge influence is just naive.

On 11/3/2022 at 8:41 AM, Tandaian said:
AUTZENZOO.COM

Oregon football is in a prime position to finish the season within the top four of the College Football Playoff rankings, and this week's games can impact ...

Lame article.  He states the obvious...."UCLA vs USC is a big game....as is Oregon vs. Utah."  It is amazing what people get paid for writing crap...

Mr. FishDuck