Charles Fischer

Anyone Else Have "Doubts About Deion?"

I am not going to dig up all the dirt, but the more I read about him--I cannot imagine this will go well for Colorado.  Opposing coaches were not wild about him...

To summarize?  (This might be the only time I do that!)

"It is all about ME."

On the other hand...he might just fit in just fine!

Why Deion Sanders and Tracey Edmonds Still Aren't Married After 10 Years of  Dating

Mr. FishDuck

I have no doubt that it will take at least 2 plus years for the Buffs to have a winning season

Edited by 1Ducker1

It's nice to know I'm not the only one thinking the same thing. Even when he was with the 49ers I was never a fan of his. I don't see this ending well for Colorado. If he flames out it will be Boulders fault, if he succeds he takes his tired act to some place else for a bigger bag.

To me this dude is all about himself all the time. It's gotten to an almost cult like status. Some may like the flash but for me no thanks.  I'll take a guy like Dan Lanning or Johnathan Smith every day of the week. 

• Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Deion has always been in the "look at ME" class, IMO.

Given his abilities, it shouldn't have been surprising in his youth, but most of us choose to grow beyond that at some point.

Not sure Neon will ever arrive at that juncture.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

There is a lot of dislike for Deion out there in the Jackson State realm.  Much of it come from his statements about "this is where God wants me to be" when he took the HC job.

No matter how you slice it, you can't spell "Prime" with it being about the "me" at the end.

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Good gosh, that is the epic line that has to be attached to him in this forum always.

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

To me, Deion is Slick Willie on steroids!!! Only time will tell though!

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 12/10/2022 at 6:47 AM, Chuck Duck said:

To me, Deion is Slick Willie on steroids!!! Only time will tell though!

And he hired Willie! 

But in truth I give him one or two years at Colorado until he moves on for another job back east. 

Colorado gets him in the power five and is a stepping stone to the next location. 

• Mic drop 1

"the NFL legend always finds a way to keep his face in the spotlight"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I always thought the above about Tonya Harding.

They can't seem to get enough of themselves and want attention at any cost.

I do hope the Buffs can improve so the conference is stronger as long as they always lose to the Ducks.

I can't envision Sanders living in Boulder very long. Too small and isolated for his ego. And it's a long-backside drive to the Denver airport!

I think Deion is going to enhance recruiting and portal attraction for CU.  He's pulling in coaches that have a proven track record of results and that combination is going to put CU on a positive bubble for more wins than 1.  Of course it would be pretty hard to do worse at CU than the 2022 season.

The effect of Deion at CU is going to be lots of national media coverage and multiple opposing views on Deion as a coach... so, ratings.  Media loves drama and Deion IS drama so he's going to be in the CFB conversation way more than his programs win count would normally justify.  Mo drama = mo buzz = mo money...

This has a positive benefit for the remaining PAC teams as we're currently in media contract negotiations.  Don't think Kliavkoff isn't loving Deion's media blitz and factoring that into his national viewership estimates for negotiations.  Deion plus the competitive PAC play this year should give us a slight bump in the contract price I'm sure.

In the end I think Deion is going to be really bad for CU football as he's not focused on the longer term program as much as the short term gains (Pete Carroll anyone?).  He's going to probably leave the program in shambles and the next hire is going to have some real challenges righting that ship.  I mean who really thinks Deion is going to stay in Boulder Colorado? 

He's driving his stock price up and my bet is he's aiming at FSU for his next stop on Deion's march to the sea.  He will probably do the same thing to FSU in the end and end up getting a fat salary contract for the NFL.  In my opinion he's the Carly Fiorina of CFB coaches.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Colorado can't be much worse with him than they were without him, so who knows.

It looks like they felt the need to fix things quickly. He has proved he can recruit highly rated players to a small stage. He's brought in some good assistants.

Add in the portal and they could be a lot better in spite of Sanders, or maybe even because of him.

At the very least, it will be a good show in the post game interviews.

Deion is a fantastic recruiter who went toe to toe with the blue bloods. I’m sure that he’ll upgrade the talent in Boulder in short order.  

I don’t know much about the league he was coaching in but I wonder if his team won because they had superior athletes vs. Deion‘s coaching. It sounds like he is also very hard on his assistant coaches. 

In summary, I have no idea what to think about Coach Sanders. If I’m Colorado’s AD, why not take a flier on “Coach Prime”? What do you have to lose, at this point?

Full disclosure, although I can see how some would be turned off by Deion‘s persona, I am a huge Prime Time fan. He is one of the best athletes and the best cornerback I have ever seen (every Sunday he went one on one against the other team’s best receiver with little or no help and took one side of the field away from the offense). If I were a top CB, I would want to play for “Coach Prime.”

Programs that are beginning to feel desperate take risks. Feels a bit like Arizona State rolling the dice on Herm Edwards, or Washington spinning the wheel on Rick Neuheisel. Might work; might not.

Like Edwards, Sanders has a self-serving mouth; like Neuweasel, he appears to be a narcissist who respects only what serves his own interests.

A bit of advice to him as he enters the P5 picture: don’t try to play the game beforehand in the media. No one in the PAC 12 is going to be the slightest bit intimidated. You’re going to be just another celeb among many: get in line.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling

This is one time I wish Mike Leach was still in the Pac-12.  Imagine the trash-talking taking place between he and Deion before and after their game?

Who else wants that entertainment?

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

It will be interesting to say the least.

And yes, the moniker coach priME probably fits.

On 12/10/2022 at 10:43 AM, OregonDucks said:

Deion is a fantastic recruiter who went toe to toe with the blue bloods. I’m sure that he’ll upgrade the talent in Boulder in short order.  

I don’t know much about the league he was coaching in but I wonder if his team won because they had superior athletes vs. Deion‘s coaching. It sounds like he is also very hard on his assistant coaches. 

In summary, I have no idea what to think about Coach Sanders. If I’m Colorado’s AD, why not take a flier on “Coach Prime”? What do you have to lose, at this point?

Full disclosure, although I can see how some would be turned off by Deion‘s persona, I am a huge Prime Time fan. He is one of the best athletes and the best cornerback I have ever seen (every Sunday he went one on one against the other team’s best receiver with little or no help and took one side of the field away from the offense). If I were a top CB, I would want to play for “Coach Prime.”

Nothing wrong with being a priME fan at all. To each his own. I agree with you he was an absolute HOFamer when he played and helped my 49ers win a title. 

For a lot us that's not the issue. It's the look at me, big ego and lack of humility that is a turn off. There's a lot coming out from JSU about this guy which will probably repeat its self when he leaves Boulder. 

To his credit though, he owns it and says he understands that some people may not like him for his personality. Fair enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

The question will be is he MariØ PriME, or can he coach too? If he can coach he still is a guy who will reach the Peter principle sooner than most. Colorado may just be that stop, but he won't stop moving until he reaches his level of incompetence.

Deion is a coach just looking to fail. There are very few Morgan Scalley's who reach a spot where they know they are very good and stay there. After 15 years he is one of the best.

If history is any guide he should last about 3 years before he moves on. He did this at the high school level and also at Jackson State. 

Mario and slick are the latest coaches to leave Oregon and reach their PP level.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2022 at 11:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This is one time I wish Mike Leach was still in the Pac-12.  Imagine the trash-talking taking place between he and Deion before and after their game?

Who else wants that entertainment?

giphy.gif

No thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jackson St. was in a bad conference.  They could have played in the FCS playoffs, but they chose to play in the Celebration Bowl, because it was more money than playing in the playoffs.  I read another article where they were saying Jackson St. wouldn't have been a high seed, even though they were undefeated.  They played one of the easiest FCS schedules and that is why they ended up undefeated.  

Jackson St. had seven 4 or 5 star athletes.  That is more than enough to win a lot of games in the FCS league.  We shall see if Deion can win when he doesn't have better talent than the other team.