FishDuck Article

Oregon Will Be Just Fine Without Dante Moore

Moore is no sure thing.  Nix is.

FISHDUCK.COM

Dante Moore flipping his commitment to UCLA at the eleventh hour stinks for Oregon fans. There's no sugarcoating it. Moore is an...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Sorta agree.  For 2023, Moore would only have helped if there were a serious injury to Nix.  And of course he may turn out to be nothing special.

But if he is special, it's 2024 and beyond where this sucks.  

Now, we have no idea who OBD may get for the future.  But chances are, having Moore would have been a lot better than not having Moore.  Whether this turns out to be a big deal or not entirely depends on how good Moore turns out to be, but also who we get for the future.  Oregon will be just fine without Moore for 2023.  The jury is very much still out regarding the longer-term future.

I will take “a Bo in hand” for a thousand Alex.

i couldn’t care less about UCLA, they’re dead to me. As a casual fan of every not the ducks team, UCLA is on par with Iowa on my give a crap meter.

Edited by Flyin Vee
  • Haha 1

Good article, Joshua. I totally agree with you. Nix is a proven winner and Moore, who knows at this point what he will become. With the transfer portal, there is no telling what college he may be at in another year or two. Nix has elevated the Duck program beyond what we thought it would be this year. Imagine if he hadn't transferred here! I read somewhere recently to remember that no one player is greater than the team. Nix is definitely a team player.

Chip Kelley = "Benedict Arnold".    

Remember this. The top 5 QB’s in the 2019 recruiting class have all transferred. The free agent game is probably going to become the norm. Just look at JT Daniels. He’s been on more rosters than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

• Haha 3

I'll take Ty Thompson with good qb development over Moore. The play calling for Ty was atrocious last year. If our new guy can guide Ty well we just might have a superior qb than Moore on the bench.

As I said in another thread DTR became a Pac-12 honorable mention player under Chip. He also still  has massive flaws which will keep him out of the NFL. I suppose UCLA is a great spot to hang out while getting ready to transfer?

With QB's I am not sure I would even be that excited if Arch Manning decided he wanted to come to Oregon. Give me a proven transfer qb, or somebody who is willing to work on his game as a back-up.

I still think Ty just might prove a diamond in the rough. I love how he has proven to be loyal and says all the right things. Also another year with Nix will be extremely valuable for our program and Ty.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/20/2022 at 7:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

I'll take Ty Thompson with good qb development over Moore. The play calling for Ty was atrocious last year. If our new guy can guide Ty well we just might have a superior qb than Moore on the bench.

I still think Ty just might prove a diamond in the rough. I love how he has proven to be loyal and says all the right things. Also another year with Nix will be extremely valuable for our program and Ty.

While TT has looked out of sync and uncertain in his limited playing time, part of this is on the coaches for the situations and play calling he's had to execute. His performance in the spring game running the offense has been ok and his arm strength is elite.

Nix applauded TT's preparation and assistance in the week running up to the Utah game when he couldn't take 1st team reps. It sounded like Bo had full confidence in Ty to run the offense if he couldn't. I think he is a high quality kid and maybe only needs one more year in the 'same' system, under Stein's and Bo's tutelage, to live up to his 5☆ potential.

With Moore going to UCLA I would think that TT stays put at Oregon. Hopefully the brouhaha surrounding Moore's recruitment didn't make him feel so marginalized that he wants a fresh start somewhere else.

Pretty good bet that if the offense clicks for him this year and it shows out on the field, he'll be next in line to take the wheel of the Ferrari and prove us doubters (myself included) premature in our assessment. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Like every jilted fan base, we're flipping from "he's the greatest recruit ever, gotta keep him" to "ahh, didn't need  him anyway".

I've seen this year after year, at school after school. It's human nature, and something I'm totally guilty of.

Wake me up when spring practice starts.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 2

I agree Joshua, because if I had to pick--I would take Bo in a heartbeat, and figure out the rest later.  (And the coaches are right now)  Oregon needs a back-up who can also be the future at Oregon--and I do not believe that TT is the guy, and I don't think the coaches do either.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/20/2022 at 10:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I agree Joshua, because if I had to pick--I would take Bo in a heartbeat, and figure out the rest later.  (And the coaches are right now)  Oregon needs a back-up who can also be the future at Oregon--and I do not believe that TT is the guy, and I don't the coaches do either.

I agree…..I would take Bo for 2023, no question about it. But the loss of Moore stings, no matter how we try to spin it. 

The question…..Will TT be ready if Bo gets hurt? I have serious doubts based on his limited and ineffective performances thus far.

I keep hearing about his physical skills, arm strength, etc. But I see TT’s issues as primarily mental. He just never looks comfortable and appears tentative. He’s got to get on the field. Maybe with a little more experience the 5* Ty will emerge.

Oregon will be fine as Oregon will worry about Oregon. Dante Moore was never a Duck. Closest he came to wearing Duck colors was in recruiting photos. 

Oregon has built a highly respected winning program. Dante Moore has never been a part of that tradition. He has never participated in a practice, let alone a game.

Dan Lanning focuses on Oregon. Dante Moore is not a part of that. I imagine Lanning is more focused on what Oregon is to become, not what Oregon could have been.

Go Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2022 at 8:58 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I think he is a high quality kid and maybe only needs one more year in the 'same' system, under Stein's and Bo's tutelage, to live up to his 5☆ potential.

Some people just need more time to develop.

TT has talent, otherwise he wouldn’t have been a 5 star recruit and on the roster of a top P5 program. Perhaps Will Stein, a former P5 college QB himself, will find a way to develop TT and get the most out of his abilities. I have been critical of TT’s play but respect that he is willing to stick around, get better and compete, especially in the era of the transfer portal. I’m rooting for the young man.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have been one very critical of TT and maybe impatient. I am sorry that Butters left instead of him. Yes, I do believe his problems are mental and those are harder to fix than technique. Because TT hasn't been able to show any ability in games beneficial to another team, entering the portal could be very difficult for him. The QBs who enter the portal successfully have something to show from the previous season, especially one who has been around a couple of years.

I expect the coaches to be looking past him for someone more qualified to start in 2024. TT is a nice and loyal team member, but we should've seen  progress by now. With recruiting and the portal, there are better options for the Ducks.

On 12/20/2022 at 7:07 AM, Haywarduck said:

As I said in another thread DTR became a Pac-12 honorable mention player under Chip. He also still  has massive flaws which will keep him out of the NFL. I suppose UCLA is a great spot to hang out while getting ready to transfer?

With QB's I am not sure I would even be that excited if Arch Manning decided he wanted to come to Oregon. Give me a proven transfer qb, or somebody who is willing to work on his game as a back-up.

Ya wasn't it 4 run-options in a row called when TT was in for Nix one series? 

Edited by VegasDuck