Ktmguy2018

Miami or Oregon: Would You Rather...

Rules are simple: 

Take into consideration coaching, play calling, and tendencies.  Assume that the recruit class has 11 offensive and 11 defensive players that with a talent level equating to their national class ranking.

Currently, 24/7 has Miami's recruiting class ranked #3 and Oregon's is ranked #14.

Who wins the matchup on the field? 

My pick:

Oregon 49 - Miami 17

Reason: DL pushes the envelope with play calling and creativity resulting in mismatches against Miami's defense. 

MC plays it safe on offense, easier for Oregon to defend and contain.

• Applause 1

I’m flabbergasted that Mario is still able to recruit at such a high level.  How long does it take before recruits and families realize that he is not a good coach and is full of hot air? Just look at the regression of the offense and Miami’s rising QB this year.  

I don’t know how he would ever find a reputable, experienced OC or DC with other options. The word has to be out among assistant coaches.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/20/2022 at 3:05 PM, OregonDucks said:

I’m flabbergasted that Mario is still able to recruit at such a high level.

It's the $$$. He has some pretty wealthy boosters behind him right now.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/20/2022 at 12:28 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

It's not just money, Mario in front of Mom & Dad is very compelling. He has been known as a top notch recruiter for years now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/20/2022 at 12:28 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

The recruiting class of 2022 for Miami = 2021 for Texas ATM. 

Just like in love, money can't buy love, but it can buy talent.

If you mean the current Oregon v Miami, I would predict:

Oregon 45

Miami  24

As to why MC recruits so well, it's in part the Florida connections and his selling power to parents. It's also like the intro to the old Jackie Gleason show:

"From the sun and fun capitol of the world, Miami Beach!"

In about two to three years it will be interesting to watch the Miami transfer portal. Oregon may have had a mass exodus of offensive players from the program if he had not jumped on the Miami opportunity.

The talent he brings in will make his team competitive, but how long his offensive players stay to play with “physicality”  in his offensive scheme will be interesting to watch. 

So far the only thing Miami fans have to be excited about is his ability to recruit. However, it is a tough sell to pack a stadium with a boring offense to watch at every home game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

From what little I can gather, Mario seems to have at least one, if not a few, wealthy boosters who pushed very hard to get Mario to Miami.

After that first season, it appears they don't want to look bad and are willing to throw more $ at it -- rather than see it fail.

Guys who have 5, 10, 15 million lying around willing to throw it into Miami football each year. Funny thing is Phil probably has  5, 10, 15 billion in his couch cushions -- I just don't think he is too crazy handing it over to 17 year old high school kids -- and I don't really blame him if that happens to be his stance.

Throw some $ into the Duck collective? Sure as that is how the game is being played. $30-$40 million dollar Duck football recruiting classes? I could be completely wrong -- but I will be surprised. My guess is a decent portion of the NIL $ is being focused on key portal guys rather than being the highest bidder for top 20 high school kids. Just a hunch (and if so it seems a solid strategy).

I cant imagine football practice in the Fla humidity in the summer.

• Thumbs Up 1

MC should just concentrate on the recruiting which is definitely what he's good at and let the OC and DC do their jobs. Of course, MC's other major responsibility will be giving his "blessing" as the HC to whatever calls the OC or DC suggest at critical junctures in the game. Other than that, he should just delegate responsibilities to appropriate staff.

Otherwise, he will be driving both players and assistant coaches away, which has happened to some extent already...

Edited by OceaniaDuck

I think that was the consensus among Oregon fans as well.

However I think many Duck fans also came to the conclusion Mario may be incapable of doing so, that he is head coach and needs to have his fingerprints all over everything (maybe to the thought he really needs to be heavily involved in order to feel he really is part of the success?).

If you check in on a couple of the Miami boards, it is also sort of interesting. They really were all over Mario nearly the whole season.

Now, with Miami sitting at #3 in the recruiting rankings, it seems like a large portion of them are already back on board. Something about the magic of those recruiting stars.

On 12/20/2022 at 12:05 PM, OregonDucks said:

I’m flabbergasted that Mario is still able to recruit at such a high level.   

It's Miami.  There are a lot of reasons kids from around the country want to play in the Mecca of College football, Florida.  California had it once. So did Texas.  Right now, it's Florida and even a moderately good recruiter has half the work done for him.  Mario's good enough to be above Moderate.

Doesn't mean he will be able to keep them on the team if they continue does the usual path of Cristobal ball.  There's this thing called Transfer Portal.

Got to admit Mario is one hell of a recruiter. #5 for 2023

There seems to be no solid  team "culture" at UM at the moment. If this class is mainly NIL driven and does not gel into some form of team identity, my expectation is that it will underperform on the field much as we have seen with A$M this year.  Older players who have busted their tails for years often resent the big bucks flaunted by incoming and unproven high school talent--another problem plaguing the A$M team. I predict these problems will continue for schools that recruit heavily through NIL.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Miami has always had the natural recruiting advantages of Florida.  FSU and UF as well of course.  Between them in 20 years they have 4 championships.   Impressive.

But, those teams had Bowden, Meyer and Coker as coaches.  Is Mariø a better overall coach than any of those guys?  Sure, he can recruit, especially with NIL money, but can he coach at the highest level.....color me skeptical.