Ktmguy2018

*GASP* Sour Grapes From Husky Fans?

There is more where this came from, but I found this one to be rather humorous. 

Screenshot_20221221-234359.thumb.png.8bcb7f8f9e2dcd5aa707a59ff3d02d0a.png 

I'm sure Oregon fans say equally dumb things on hivemind threads. If everybody agrees on a conspiracy it never ends well. I'll be the first to admit that the University of Washington is a much better school for academics in general.

Frankly, I think Oregon needs to work in concert with UW to get an expedited invitation to the BIG-10, or concessions for higher payouts from the PAC. Once the dust settles, the hate can continue.

On 12/22/2022 at 1:38 AM, 2002duck said:

I'll be the first to admit that the University of Washington is a much better school for academics in general.

Frankly, I think Oregon needs to work in concert with UW to get an expedited invitation to the BIG-10, or concessions for higher payouts from the PAC. Once the dust settles, the hate can continue.

How many of these high-star recruits are really interested in academics?  It's football their immersed in.

And work with UW to expedite an invite to the B1G?  Oregon has just been given an opportunity to become THE marquee program of a major Power 5 Conference that still owns the Rose Bowl.  Many think O already is (and they may be right).  

If UW wants to take their ball and go to the B1G let them.  I hope cooler heads will prevail here at Oregon and keep the Ducks right where they are - all the way to a National Championship and beyond.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

I respectfully disagree with 2002Duck that the school on the Montlake is a “much better” school than Oregon… the comparison is apples to oranges…

I personally call the Seattle school the U”fricken”W for a number of reasons… one of which is that the focus of the UFW is Engineering and Computer Science… similar to ORYGUN State… where Oregon is focused on the pure Sciences, Business, Education, etc… so there’s a minimum of comparisons…

Statistically graduates of State funded Universities tend to stay and live in the area… Seattle has Boeing, Microsoft, and now Amazon where Eugene has some industry but most graduates move on to Portland and the world…  

But most who attended Oregon have a well rounded education of school classes and a collective experience where we gan go anywhere in the world and when we meet a fellow duck (younger or older), we can exchange a GO Ducks O, and we have a friend…

The UFW students can only share living in a big city on a campus with a huge population of commuters… I could go on, but you already understand where I’m going… if you went to school on the Montlake, I would have to further explain…

Oregon is a great University… period.

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Wow 2
  • Great post! 1

If a student athlete goes to UW for their highly ranked nursing program then I say well done, we can't compete. If they want to play football, then they might want to look at the records over the last couple decades, and it seems many have.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 6:30 AM, Haywarduck said:

If a student athlete goes to UW for their highly ranked nursing program then I say well done, we can't compete. If they want to play football, then they might want to look at the records over the last couple decades, and it seems many have.

Losing Caleb Presley to UW kinda hurts but mostly because UW and Utah are Oregon's biggest rivals now, outside of the resurgent OSU Beavers.  UW has a pretty formidable coach installed as does Utah and OSU.  In fact, the competition here more than makes up for UCLA and USC absconding to the B1G.  

The Pac-12 right now has 4 (minimum) winning programs that'll be a force to reckon with by any program in the country.  Just ask Florida.  That's a full 1/3 of the Conference.  A Power 5 Conference.  The Huskies have no reason for sour grapes and instead had better concentrate on Football because OSU and Utah aren't going away.  And neither is Oregon.

Edited by Mic
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

“We didn’t want him anyway...”

On 12/22/2022 at 3:32 AM, Mic said:

THE marquee program of a major Power 5 Conference that still owns the Rose Bowl.  

What's "major" about the Rose Bowl these days? Unless it's a year when they're part of the College Football Playoffs, I'm sad to say that today, it's pretty much just another one of 41 bowl games.

On 12/22/2022 at 4:19 AM, CVDuck said:

Oregon is a great University… period.

I'm a Duck alum and I cant stand the Huskies as much as the next guy. But academically, Oregon does not compete with UW.

But as far as a classic "College Town," Eugene and "Faber University" absolutely win. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, Desert Duck said:

I'm a Duck alum and I cant stand the Huskies as much as the next guy. But academically, Oregon does not compete with UW.

But as far as a classic "College Town," Eugene and "Faber University" absolutely win. 

I'm not sure I completely agree about Oregon not measuring up acedemically.  UW is much larger with a bigger diversity of programs, but for the programs we have in common, Oregon certainly measures up.  I've got four years at Oregon and another four at UW for grad school.  The education I got at Oregon was every bit as good, and at least as difficult as it was at UW.

For sure though, you are right.  Oregon has a true college town feel, unlike UW in Seattle, which felt large and cold.

• Go Ducks! 4

On 12/22/2022 at 2:31 PM, 47sgs said:

I'm not sure I completely agree about Oregon not measuring up acedemically.  UW is much larger with a bigger diversity of programs, but for the programs we have in common, Oregon certainly measures up.  I've got four years at Oregon and another four at UW for grad school.  The education I got at Oregon was every bit as good, and at least as difficult as it was at UW.

For sure though, you are right.  Oregon has a true college town feel, unlike UW in Seattle, which felt large and cold.

too wet, miserably grey, all around depressing, and full of pompous schmucks, fixed it.

• Mic drop 1

On 12/22/2022 at 1:44 PM, Desert Duck said:

What's "major" about the Rose Bowl these days? Unless it's a year when they're part of the College Football Playoffs, I'm sad to say that today, it's pretty much just another one of 41 bowl games.

New Years Day bowl.  A matchup of two major Conference Champions (if not in the playoffs). The 1st and oldest bowl. The  Los Angeles venue and all the TV market that entails. I admit, the CFB Playoffs have dented Bowl game values, but the really big ones, like the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl will survive.  The NCAA has every reason to want to see that happen.

But regardless of how one feels about bowl games, the Pac-12 has every reason why it should survive as a Power 5 Conference and just because USC and UCLA bolted for the Midwest conference that doesn't mean the Pa-12c has to fold - unless the Conference itself decides to fold and I can't see any reason on Earth why they'ed want that.  

Now we need our commissioner to pull a rabbit 🐰 out of his hat and provide us a TV financial deal that keeps us in the ballpark of the other conference's.

So we can keep dominating the butt sniffers up north. 

On 12/22/2022 at 3:43 PM, Haywarduck said:

too wet, miserably grey, all around depressing, and full of pompous schmucks, fixed it.

- Eugene average annual rainfall 46 inches

- Seattle average annual rainfall 37 inches

- Eugene average annual number of days with precipitation 151

- Seattle average annual number of days with precipitation 152

Seattle sucks, but from a weather standpoint, both are wet & gray.

Per capita number of pompous schmucks: Unknown. But anecdotally, I'd have to agree that Seattle wins this category by a seemingly wide margin. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 12/22/2022 at 3:52 PM, Mic said:

New Years Day bowl.  

It's a weekday, January 2nd, bowl this year. 

As long as the Rose & Orange Bowl are part of the CFP, they'll be a big deal in those years. 

Otherwise, they'll primarily just have a nice history. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:45 PM, Desert Duck said:

- Eugene average annual rainfall 46 inches

- Seattle average annual rainfall 37 inches

- Eugene average annual number of days with precipitation 151

- Seattle average annual number of days with precipitation 152

Seattle sucks, but from a weather standpoint, both are wet & gray.

Per capita number of pompous schmucks: Unknown. But anecdotally, I'd have to agree that Seattle wins this category by a seemingly wide margin. 

Makes sense, just like most things, Oregon gets more out of their clouds than Seattle. Just like we get more out of our student athletes. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, 47sgs said:

As far as academic rankings go, yes, UW is ahead of the U of O in regard to the metrics used by US News and other college ranking organizations. However, I feel like I had received a good education at the U of O overall and where I live, U of O alums have actually done quite well holding prestigious positions in business, government and education. A big difference I had also observed in my experience is it seems the U of O alums seemed to value social responsibility more than graduates of other prestigious institutions who seemed to have a more corporate mindset.

I guess while name recognition does indeed open a lot of doors - how you apply the education you're given matters far more. As long as you graduate from a university that is accredited by a legitimate organization, adopt a lifelong learning attitude and be practical and socially responsible in your daily applications, those would get you far IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:52 PM, Mic said:

New Years Day bowl.  A matchup of two major Conference Champions (if not in the playoffs). The 1st and oldest bowl. The  Los Angeles venue and all the TV market that entails. I admit, the CFB Playoffs have dented Bowl game values, but the really big ones, like the Rose Bowl and Orange Bowl will survive.  The NCAA has every reason to want to see that happen.

But regardless of how one feels about bowl games, the Pac-12 has every reason why it should survive as a Power 5 Conference and just because USC and UCLA bolted for the Midwest conference that doesn't mean the Pa-12c has to fold - unless the Conference itself decides to fold and I can't see any reason on Earth why they'ed want that.  

Furthermore, EVERYONE watches the Rose Bowl.

• Applause 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:32 AM, Mic said:

How many of these high-star recruits are really interested in academics?  It's football their immersed in.

Very few. High school seniors committing to perennial Top-25 programs 100% better have "making the NFL" on their minds, and I hope that should be realistic for every player we sign. I would sometimes sit next to a Duck football player in a business class in my freshman or sophomore year. After the application and acceptance into the official junior/senior College of Business happened, the scholarship athletes were hard to find. No big deal.

I suppose my point was less on UW recruits being interested in academics, and more of me finally giving UW credit for something- academics. And, I don't think it's really very debatable. I've seen alumni donation letters sent to me explaining how a certain specific program (like some facet of Biology) is ranked higher than the same program at Ivy League schools. That's kind of reaching. But why would I give props to UW for anything? Because unlike those that had funny reactions to my comment (I understand!), I do believe 100% that the Pac is on thin ice. I would prefer that UO goes to the B1G, and I think we need to team up with UW to get that done. 

Trust me, I despise Husky football fans. Sometime around 2010 or so I "bought" two tickets on Craigslist for a Ducks/Husky game for about $150 each. When I went to pick the tickets up near my condo in the Pearl District in Portland, I knew something had gone wrong when the address was some random building, and not an accounting office where the guy on Craigslist said he worked. I called his number, and it was a bunch of bro's laughing and playing the Husky fight song in the background on an mp3 player or something. I was actually sad about humanity rather than mad!

Edited by 2002duck
  • Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This has no bearing on the matter, but I was just looking at the major figures in those big Seattle companies, and came across an interesting tidbit:

Microsoft: 

• Bill Gates - Harvard
  • Paul Allen - Washington State

Amazon:

• Jeff Bezos - Princeton
  • Andy Jassy - Harvard

Boeing:

• William E. Boeing - Yale
  • Dave Calhoun - Virginia Tech
  • Larry Kellner - USC (er, that's University of South Carolina 😆

On the other hand, ...

Nike:

• Bill Bowerman - University of Oregon
  • Phil Knight - University of Oregon 

Just sayin'...

*Use this information how you like. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Surprised no one had posted this quote from the QB who decommitted from Washington for Ohio State:

"I think I can go to Washington and get money, or I can go to Ohio State and be developed and then potentially reach my goal of going to the NFL.”

Ouch. They can’t even buy players up in Seattle...

• Wow 1
  • Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:31 PM, 47sgs said:

Went to both schools as an undergrad.  Oregon was more cozy, but UW wasn't as cold and uninviting as people say.

Academically, I got challenged as an undergrad day one at UW.  You had to be excellent to advance to your school of choice.  They fostered chilling competition ( maybe that's where the large and cold reputation comes from). 

I didn't get pushed like that at Oregon until I was a Junior.  But I did get pressed from that point on. 

I enjoyed both schools and met very excellent people at both Universities.  I do believe you had to be serious at UW immediately, unlike the fun atmosphere in Eugene, or you wouldn't graduate in Seattle.