Haywarduck

Another 5* Enters Portal, Has Lanning Connection

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Former 5-star Georgia CB Jaheim Singletary is headed to the transfer portal. He committed to the Bulldogs when Lanning was the DC. Might the Ducks reach out?

• Applause 1

Git 'im! He just finished his freshman year.

But, maybe Georgia (and the Ducks?) are too hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is getting pretty crazy. How am I supposed to keep up with all this madness? 

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If they reach out and snag him from the portal do we have enough food to feed all these guys? Could be a race from a workout just to get a chair for a meal. 

Be a nice catch though. 

But is he part of the filtering process that Georgia does? If so...

FISHDUCK.COM

I read the posts on the Our Beloved Ducks forum where the question often was, "we are way over our 85 scholarship limit–how are we going to trim anywhere from...

A five star leaving Texas ATM is different than this...why leave the two-time national champion?

Something smells fishy here...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/12/2023 at 6:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

But is he part of the filtering process that Georgia does? If so...

FISHDUCK.COM

I read the posts on the Our Beloved Ducks forum where the question often was, "we are way over our 85 scholarship limit–how are we going to trim anywhere from...

A five star leaving Texas ATM is different than this...why leave the two-time national champion?

Something smells fishy here...

giphy.gif

You might be right, we don't want to be like,

77b4fa.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

We have zero information of why this guy is wanting to leave.  I'm not going assume he can't hack it at UGA.  Maybe, he was told he wasn't going to any playing time next year.  Hundreds of reasons for a change of scenery. 

I'm going with the glass is half full.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/12/2023 at 8:22 PM, Tandaian said:

We have zero information of why this guy is wanting to leave.  I'm not going assume he can't hack it at UGA.  Maybe, he was told he wasn't going to any playing time next year.  Hundreds of reasons for a change of scenery. 

I'm going with the glass is half full.

Agree, trust the coaches on this one.

Some comments on Georgia boards that he reportedly almost left mid-season due to home sickness. Seems several posters expect him to end up at one of his home state Florida schools.

Committed to Ohio State then changed his mind a few months later.  Enrolled at Georgia and changed his mind a few months later.  A true freshman is just a kid so not surprising.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or maybe he wants to fast track his chance to the League? Playing back up might not be enough for these kids. We simply don't know the reasons for Portal. It could simply he the kid's idea of wanting 'Starter' exposure.

• Great post! 1

Georgia had an awesome 22 recruiting class at DB and the  other guys were early entries where Singletary was not and fell hopelessly behind. I'm told he has excellent coverage and ball skills but is slight of build and was having problems reaching a weight at which Georgia wants their DBs to be. Plus, I'll say again that the DB room at Georgia is stacked with more experienced guys.

I have no idea what Lanning knows about the kid, but I am sure that Kirby would play straight with him were Lanning to ask. Personally, I think Singletary is worth the risk and he could confer significant benefits a year or two down the road. I'm guessing that the hill to climb at Georgia was simply too steep given the talent, much of it as young as Singletary is, present in Athens.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

MJ Sherman I am told is a great guy and teammate who contributed regularly on special teams. He was injured late in his high school career and simply was not the athlete Georgia thought it was getting. the Dawgs even passed on future Alabama All-American Will Anderson to take him.

I am pretty sure Lanning knows Sherman well as he coached OLBs as a position coach at Georgia. We'll see if the Ducks pursue Sherman who deserves the opportunity to show what he has somewhere over the next couple years. Most Georgia fans would classify MJ as a DGD (Damn good Dawg).

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Interesting development, talk about a 24/7 job keeping track of all the players available and the program needs ability to take on players.

I read this morning that MJ Sherman has found a new home at Nebraska and was surprised that he still had three years of eligibility remaining. My prediction is that he will become a meaningful contributor to that defense.

Correction: It was late when I typed my response to the death of the Georgia football player yesterday. His name was Willock not Wilcock.

On 1/16/2023 at 1:46 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I read this morning that MJ Sherman has found a new home at Nebraska and was surprised that he still had three years of eligibility remaining. My prediction is that he will become a meaningful contributor to that defense.

Correction: It was late when I typed my response to the death of the Georgia football player yesterday. His name was Willock not Wilcock.

I was sorry to hear of the tragic incident, Nevada Dawg, my condolences to the Georgia football family. 

• Thumbs Up 1