Pennsylvania Duck

Oregon House Bill: College Coaches, ADs Could Be Suspended for Bad Fan Behavior

A bill proposed in the Oregon state House is targeting fan behavior at college sporting events and would hold coaches and athletic directors accountable if fans act out.

Under the proposed bill, coaches such as Dan Lanning, Jonathan Smith, Dana Altman and Scott Rueck and athletic directors such as Rob Mullens and Scott Barnes could face one-week suspensions if fans at Oregon or Oregon State games “engage in the use of derogatory or inappropriate names, insults, verbal assaults, profanity or ridicule in violation of equity focused policies.”

Public universities in Oregon could also lose state grants, state scholarship money and support from the Oregon State Police if they fail to enact and enforce policies that address such language that occurs at school events, including sporting events, under House bill 2472.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Public universities in Oregon could also lose state grants, state scholarship money and support from the Oregon State Police if...

Great. Let's put on black and orange and go misbehave in Corvallis. 

I can see this being a weekly fraternity prank, get the other coach suspended.

Oye vay.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry but this goes too far. Just hold the actual perpetrators accountable. Why should the coaches and AD's be held accountable for the actions of others that they had absolutely nothing to do with?

Just install more surveillance cameras or whatever else it takes to help identify any misbehaving fans should an unfortunate incident like that occur.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Because Coaches are responsible for THE WHOLE WORLD 🌍🌍🌍🌍

Dan Altman: "I've got 9 billion kids to feed".  At least one of them is going to get mad before I get them  a meal...sheesh.

Autzen stadium has a number for fans to call if they see or hear poor behavior.  I guess the thought is to get the stadium announcers to call it out?  I was at the BYU game and I didn't hear the chant.  I saw a video, so I know it happened, but not everything that happens in the stands is heard by everyone.  I'm guessing if Lanning heard it, he would have talked to his guys in the booth to have Don Essig to tell them to stop. 

Some fan behavior is terrible and it needs to be called out, but if people don't know about it at the time, how are they to fix it?

The lunatics most definitely are running the asylum.  Perhaps the legislature would like to regulate my taco intake.

• Haha 1

Guess these people were late when common sense was being handed out. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Asinine.  Not only holds coaches and ADs responsible for fan behavior, but who is going to determine what is derogatory or insulting speech?  So someone yells out, "Are you blind, ref?" and the coach gets suspended?

Whomever sponsored this bill deserves some derogatory and insulting speech.  The 1st Amendment clearly says government shall not abridge the right to free speech.  The Supreme Court has already declared that a t-shirt with an fricken-bomb on it is protected speech, as is burning the American flag in protest, no matter how offensive I find both of them.  

Does the state really have legislators who are that stupid that they don't even know what the Constitution says?

Never mind - the introduction of this bill clearly answers that.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 4

Reading a bit about the background of the legislator that introduced it reveals they are the parent of a walk on UO football player. The abusive behavior it is meant to curb includes boorish comments hurled at players and coaches of the home team. So maybe the heart is in the right place even if the execution is badly flawed.

As a general rule:

One thousand 18-21 year olds + Sunny September Saturday + five Jagerbombs apiece  =

Stupid behavior

If by some wild stretch of misguided legislative fancy this bill moves forward and passes (hey, it's Oregon, it could happen), it almost certainly would not withstand judicial scrutiny. 1st amendment, free speech and all (then again, Oregon, so who knows).

Punishing the head coach for crowd misbehavior does have one amusing recent historical context. Could Mario have been suspended for a game, along with his offense, when the crowd booed him so vociferously?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow! What a super idea. ..

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1

THIS is even worse than the legislature attempting to dictate the right to decide whether Oregon/Oregon State can leave for a new conference.

What are the Oregon schools and their respective AD supposed to do if this excrement was to pass? Surround the field with police officers? Frisk all patrons on their way into the stadium.

'Nothing is more dangerous than a legislative body in session.' - Mark Twain

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:52 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Asinine.  Not only holds coaches and ADs responsible for fan behavior, but who is going to determine what is derogatory or insulting speech?  So someone yells out, "Are you blind, ref?" and the coach gets suspended?

Whomever sponsored this bill deserves some derogatory and insulting speech.  The 1st Amendment clearly says government shall not abridge the right to free speech.  The Supreme Court has already declared that a t-shirt with an fricken-bomb on it is protected speech, as is burning the American flag in protest, no matter how offensive I find both of them.  

Does the state really have legislators who are that stupid that they don't even know what the Constitution says?

Never mind - the introduction of this bill clearly answers that.

Kurt, excellent take. The answer to your question regarding the stupidity of salons is a resounding "YES!"

On 3/16/2023 at 10:55 AM, Mudslide said:

The lunatics most definitely are running the asylum.  Perhaps the legislature would like to regulate my taco intake.

So long as you are eating all veggie tacos you are probably safe?

"Look out kid it's something you did'

God knows when but your doing it again!' - Bob Dylan

I watched the NIT game last night against UC Irvine.  The arena was mostly empty and you could hear everything a small, immature, section of students decided to yell and chant throughout the broadcast.  It was embarrassing, childish behavior, but it's also not unusual for brains that haven't fully developed.

Cheer on your team, yell in frustration at the refs, and boo the opponent, but endlessly heckling and impugning opponents and officials in demeaning and personal ways shows poor character and sportsmanship.  Please put yourselves in your team's shoes if they were a visiting team in another arena.  I don't think legislation is the answer, but maybe ADs could be more proactive in fostering high expectations of sportsmanship.  I wish we had higher expectations of ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/16/2023 at 3:52 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

The Supreme Court has already declared that a t-shirt with an fricken-bomb on it is protected speech...

Self-serving to quote myself, but I had to laugh at this - an fricken-bomb?  My original post used a capital fricken combined with bomb (nothing more), but I guess that's somehow offensive to the algorithm?  🤣

Everyone has a different place for where the line is that shouldn't be crossed.  For some, even booing the refs or an opponent is poor sportsmanship.  On the other hand, I've been around fans who couldn't yell anything without heavy-duty profanity being part of the sentence.  And there's the infamous "Where's your daddy" chant at ASU when Steve Kerr was playing for Arizona (his dad was killed by terrorists).  Astonishes me that anyone actually thought that might be amusing or a good idea.

But the problem in policing behavior like this (no matter who does it) is where to draw the line.  I used to have season tickets to Pepperdine basketball, and I was regularly the loudest voice in the building (which would surprise no one who knows me).  I and a few other fans tried to get really creative, and we would sometimes go after certain players.  My rule was always no profanity and nothing really personal (like if a kid had a child out of wedlock or was rumored to use drugs), but yeah, we would go after opposing players and deserving refs.  I've had players respond to me from the court (which is when I knew I'd gotten into their heads), and I've cracked the whole bench up with a comment.  

One of the best lines I ever heard was when we were destroying St. Mary's, which always traveled with a priest at the end of their bench.  During the last TV timeout, St. Mary's emptied their bench, and someone yelled, "Put in the priest!"  (Even the priest started laughing.)

The best one I came up with was when we were beating a terrible Portland team, and they made a run to cut it to a 12-point deficit with about two minutes left.  We called timeout, and their bench was going absolutely nuts celebrating.  From across the court, I yelled, "What are you guys so happy about?  Your team is 2 and 22, and you're so bad you can't even get into the game!"  The whole crowd started laughing, and there was no question Portland's players heard me.

I have no doubt that some people on this board find both of those comments wrong and inappropriate.  And others probably find them funny and totally fine.  To me, as long as it's not in really bad taste, there's nothing wrong with riding an opponent.  Going after sexuality, race, religion, using profanity - IMHO that's in bad taste.

But who decides what's over the line?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, saying everyone has a different line doesn’t mean there isn’t a line. Given the broad spectrum of human behavior I can almost guarantee there are a handful of people in the stands who think it would be great to pull out a gun a shoot the opposing coach. 

This type of legislation is not the way to handle this issue. 

Filling the stadium/arena with surveillance AI, cameras, facial and voice recognition (etc.) has it own set of problems. Let’s not go there either. 

I'm not sure if the Babylon Bee could have come up with something as funny and ridiculous as this. 

"... in violation of equity focused policies.” Wow. That's amazing. But it would sure be fun to watch them enforce this. 

Oregon college coaches, athletic directors won’t be suspended for bad behavior of fans under amended House bill

Bynum told the committee she removed the penalties against college coaches and athletic directors for fan behavior, which would have been unprecedented, “based on feedback from the committee and from the public.”

I'm glad she finally realized how silly her bill was.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The rewritten bill would still require public universities to maintain a “transparent complaint process” with a reporting system for...

• Applause 2

You really need to listen to her interview with Canzano.  She took her bill from her football league while her son was in high school.  Coaches, AD and Principal were held responsible for poor fan behavior.   She never thought it would make it through without changes.  That isn't how bills work at city or state level.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:55 AM, Mudslide said:

Be very careful what you wish for, particularly with this wild-eyed group of legislators.🤪

Edited by Joe F
  • Like 1

Oregon bill addressing bad behavior of college sports fans headed back to House floor

The bill that would implement “equity-focused policies” addressing the behavior of college sports fans attending games at Oregon’s public universities by creating a formal complaint process and reporting system for instances of bad behavior and require schools to conduct an annual survey of students and athletes and annual report to the state Legislature is headed back to the House floor.

The rewritten bill would require public universities to maintain a “transparent complaint process” with a reporting system for participants or the public to submit complaints about the behavior of students, coaches or spectators. Schools would have to respond to those complaints within two business days and attempt to resolve them within 30 days and develop and implement a “system of sanctions against students, coaches and spectators” if a complaint is verified.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

House bill 2472-2 was moved to the House floor with a do-pass recommendation and subsequent referral to the Joint Committee...