Charles Fischer

Unbelievable: Kel'el Ware Forgoes NBA Draft, but Leaves Oregon

Speechless.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon freshman Kel'el Ware, the No. 7 overall prospect out of the 2022 class, will enter the transfer portal and has no intention of entering the 2023 NBA Draft, he tells

Worst-thing-possible.  Unbelievable.  So Duck fans...how does this feel to you?

giphy.gif

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

Feels fine. These current Duck BB clowns pretty much all (except maybe keep Dante and Bittle) suck. I'd be ok if they all left. Sorry (not sorry), but Duck BB needs a 100% rebuild!

• Oh no! 1
  • Applause 1

Frankly, I'm not terribly surprised. I don't really know how things go behind the scenes (off season workouts, practices, etc.), but I've heard the rumblings that Altman wasn't pleased with this guy's work ethic. Certainly, on the court Ware was a mixture of the spectacular and the really bad. You could see his potential, but he took way too many ill-advised shots, and he constantly tried for the spectacular block instead of just playing solid defense on his man. 

If a guy doesn't fit--particularly, with a good attitude about earning his spot in the lineup through his work during practices--then I think the team is better off without him.

Frankly, by comparison, I also worried about Bittle as a highly-touted freshman when he played only sparingly in his first year as a Duck. He seems to have accepted the fact that he had to grow into a bigger role on the team and showed much improvement during the NIT when he got starter's minutes. 

Thus, I trust Altman. (Frankly, I liked his post-season rant. I like the fact that he is very dissatisfied with his team's performance the past two years. And, I think next year will be much improved.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Social Media Buzz: Oregon fans react to Kel'el Ware entering the transfer portal

After coming to Eugene as a 5-star prospect, rated No. 7 in the 2022 class, It’s fair to say that Ware’s season with the Ducks was not as prolific as some expected. Ware played just 15.8 minutes a game, averaging 6.6 points and 4.1 rebounds per game.

He was projected to be an NBA Lottery pick early on in the year, but as the season went on, his draft stock fell with the lack of production. Part of that was because of the personnel on the team — N’Faly Dante and Nate Bittle also compete for those minutes on the post, and both had more production than Ware.

I wonder if this could mean that N'Faly Dante is returning?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Social Media Buzz: Oregon fans react to Kel’el Ware entering the transfer portal

How do I feel? I feel like this is college basketball anymore. There is about as much allegiance to a team as it takes for a guy to build draft stock/NIL money/court minutes. Dana Altman needs to go back to recruiting coachable talent rather than chasing high school star ratings.

There is absolutely a rising correlation of star ranking to the likelihood a guy transfers; or is a one-and-done to the NBA.

Unfortunately this has become the expectation rather than exception in today's college basketball. Still, I agree that this is a low-brow move.

• Thumbs Up 1

From Altman's post NIT comments, I'd say he is done with 5 star one and dones. Personally, I'd way rather cheer on a scrappy group of under dogs win or lose than guys just putting in their obligatory one year of semi pro ball before joining the NBA.

Does anybody remember freshman Freddie Jones missing two end of game free throws his freshman year? The Ducks ended up losing to the mighty Arizona by one point and Freddie took it real hard. Flash forward three years and Senior Freddie Jones destroys Arizona by 30 in route to winning the Pac and making it to the elite eight. Jones also one Pac Player of the year and became the #10 player selected in the draft.

Watching the journey of a gifted freshman become a senior team leader is half the fun of rooting for a college team. I really hope Altman shifts his recruiting strategy back in that direction.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 3/27/2023 at 11:08 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Thus, I trust Altman. (Frankly, I liked his post-season rant. I like the fact that he is very dissatisfied with his team's performance the past two years.

Interesting point.  Maybe Dana laid down the gauntlet of what is expected, and Ware opted out of the work required?

Mr. FishDuck

From what I have seen the kid definitely does not have the it factor. Looks like he might have talent but he lacks hustle and attitude which he needs at this level. Hope he ends up in the pack so that Bittle will have someone to pulverize.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:58 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Speechless.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon freshman Kel'el Ware, the No. 7 overall prospect out of the 2022 class, will enter the transfer portal and has no intention of entering the 2023 NBA Draft, he tells

giphy.gif

Well, last week, Altman said he wants guys who are dedicated and hard-working. Clearly, this past year's team did not have enough of those guys, if any. And, based on Altman's comments about Ware in mid-season, about his lack of effort and focus, he might have been the poster child for this. 

It's possible Altman had a talk with Ware in which they both agreed he should move on. This sucks on the surface, but it could be the best thing. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/27/2023 at 11:11 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

Dana Altman needs to go back to recruiting coachable talent rather than chasing high school star ratings.

Agree, but the conundrum is he still need top players. Reaching for the stars (literally) is what any good coach should do; hence, Dana’s move to Oregon. But, the learning curve on who to select and how to coach-up these star piles that moving here has given him access to has been a real challenge. 

Before Oregon, you could say his recruits were like him: blue collar, motivated coachable kids who wanted both individual and team success. Now, he has to deal with talent that is often motivated by something other than love of the game. There are times I’m not sure that registers with him.

Perhaps Dana needs to take a piece out of the Dan Lanning recruiting book and apply the de-recruitment theory to his new charges. Not sure that would translate well from the field to the court, but he does need to try something new.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Speechless.

247SPORTS.COM

giphy.gif

Jordan drops back, kicks and that's the ball game folks.

He did this portal maneuver much faster than anything he has done on court.  His attitude has been clear in every game I've watched.  His leaving is both believable and welcomed.

Buh-bye, hirsute OaD.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/27/2023 at 11:22 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Interesting point.  Maybe Dana laid down the gauntlet of what is expected, and Ware opted out of the work required?

I wouldn't have been surprised if Altman pushed Ware out the door. 

Altman basically said at the end of the season that there needs to be a culture shift in the program and he might be giving a nudge or a push out for some who don't match the culture he wants to rebuild at Oregon. 

On 3/12/2023 at 8:42 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Dante’ is ready for the next level, and Ware is not.

2002duck:

"I check pretty frequently, and I've never seen Dante on a mock draft for this year's draft. I saw he was projected to go in the second round next year on nbadraft.net a few weeks ago, but now he's completely gone. It makes no sense."

"If the Blazers got Dante in the second round in this year's draft I would be happy about that. I don't understand why he's getting no love."

"As for Ware, I've always assumed he would transfer. I still expect that to happen, and especially so if Dante is told by NBA insiders that he's not going to get picked." 

Well, there is my commentary from March 12th. I am 0.001% surprised Ware is transferring. I still have the same basic beliefs: he is projected to be a mid to late 2nd round pick at best this year, and mocks have him going in the first round next year.

From what you saw with his chemistry and role with Dana Altman, did you see Ware being put in a position to be a 1st round pick next year? Because I didn't. It was not a good fit. Ware seems to want to develop on the court after tipoff, and not after earning it.

I still hope it means Dante might come back. But, no, I am not surprised Ware entered the portal. In fact, I think it was an excellent decision for him regarding his financial future. Why on earth would you stay at Oregon when the coach is not going to start you or use you a lot? 

Also, leaving for the NBA now would be a terrible idea. He'd be throwing away 1st round money. Worse case scenario is he gets drafted in the second round next year in the same spot he would have been picked this season.  

Edited by 2002duck
  • Great post! 1

Frankly, this is the best news I've heard so far this week.  Especially after his last public statements, it truly does feel as if Coach Altman is ready to move on from the John Calapari model of running a basketball program. He seems eager to go out and find some of his "dogs". This makes me hopeful. I did become a big N'faly Dante fan this season. He was the bright spot.

Edited by SmithRiverDuck
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 3/27/2023 at 1:08 PM, 2002duck said:

I still hope it means Dante might come back.

Great post 2002duck, and on the other sites--they think this might tip things to Dante coming back.  Most on other sites do not think Dante is ready for the NBA, contrary to my thoughts on the 12th and now.

I would be wary of quoting me when it comes to basketball; with my football thoughts, those are usually reasoned--backed by hundreds of hours of study.  Even then, I am wrong half the time!

But my Basketball thoughts are just WAGs. Like Oregon Baseball, I enjoy watching the sport, but do not know much in-depth about it.

Mr. FishDuck

Not much surprise here as I always had the impression that Ware came in thinking he'd be one-and-done. That turned out to be true, just not the way anyone wanted. He seemed to lack the court smarts and work ethic to go along with his size and talent.

Once Altman called him out mid season for effort, the handwriting seemed to be on the wall. He'll have a lot of interest in the portal and perhaps some other coach will be able to develop him. For Oregon the development came too little and too late. It would be nice if he left the PAC altogether but he could land with a rebuilding team as a kind of worse case scenario. Other than that, Ware leaving just isn't that big of a negative

Personally I like Bittle's upside a lot more. Altman can build around him at the post. Maybe Dante will return and develop a nice 10-12 ft jumper that gets him into the 2024 NBA first round draft. There will be some quaity big men in the portal willing to come to Eugene and put in the work.

As this year's NCAA tournament shows, experience and a sense of team still matters in MBB. It sounds like DA wants to get back to that style of Oregon basketball. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

College basketball transfer portal: Best potential fits for Oregon five-star transfer Kel'el Ware

Former five-star prospect Kel'el Ware shook up the college basketball world Monday when he told 247Sports’ Travis Branham that he entered the transfer portal and will leave Oregon.

The 7-foot big man will not enter the 2023 NBA Draft and instead tries to parlay himself into the lottery conversation in the wide-open 2024 NBA Draft. Ware is the No. 1-ranked player in the transfer portal as of Monday, and he will demand a boatload of interest.

247SPORTS.COM

The five-star recruit is now the No. 1 player in the transfer portal.

Not surprised in the slightest, not really worried either, he's a talent, but I don't think it will turn into anything if he remained here.  We need some more versatile stretch 4s instead.  What I would do for an Arslan Kazemi or a Eugene Oworuyi, we need guys like that.  I'm worried that Evans and Cook will be like the past few top 15 recruits we've had, and not do much.  Really need to attract the right guys in the portal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Altman should just go after his type of guys and forget about star power. I am convinced that a junior/ senior lead team of scrappy gym rats that buy in to his vision would compete for Pac championships and be threats to make the sweet sixteen and beyond some years.. Throw in a few upper four stars that want to really get better at the game for a few years instead of being a late second round one and done.They could still be a deep tourney run threat most years and we'd actually get to care about the guys that make up the team and watch them grow and develop their game year after year.

• Applause 1

There is plenty of amazing talent which never makes it past AAU ball. Just like there are brilliant people living on the street.

Aptitude doesn't convert into what someone is capable of without the right attitude. We need attitude, not just aptitude. 

Agree I do think Altman is over trying to convert attitudes and look for more scrappy talent going forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

These are the schools reaching out to former Oregon C Kel'el Ware

The news broke on Monday morning that Oregon Ducks freshman center Kel’el Ware would be entering the transfer portal and leaving Eugene after one season. This was relatively expected, and be it through the portal or via the NBA Draft, not many people would have confidently told you that Ware would be in Eugene again for a second season in 2023.

However, because of his high profile — Ware was a 5-star recruit and the No. 7 overall player in the 2022 recruiting class — the move has made some waves in the college basketball world. Ware is now one of the most coveted players available in the transfer portal, and there are already a number of top-end teams making contact and trying to get the 7-foot center to join their team.

According to On3’s Joe Tipton, these are the schools that have reached out so far:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Kel’el Ware is a popular name in the transfer portal, with a number of high-profile teams already reaching out.

I regret seeing Ware leave. He demonstrated enormous talent during infrequent appearances and had the potential to be a huge asset for our Ducks. I have no clue about his off court attitude and that may have propelled him to depart. I believe that this under-performing and extraordinarily inconsistent team suggests Altman and his assistants had a sub-par year. Altman is a great Coach, but this year was very disappointing.