Charles Fischer

Huskies React to Having Only ONE Verbal Left...

Pretty surprising to me, as it is nearly crickets from them!  The latest defection hardly created a ripple, and my assumption is that they already threw their tantrums in the last months with the low verbal commitment response to the new Washington staff.

They have done well with portal transfers, but you cannot live on that.  The Chris Peterson recruits will phase out at the end of this year, and then....

The real news is how Oregon has a 12 million dollar surplus with their athletic budget, while Washington is projecting a 5.8 million dollar shortfall in 2023 and 7.8 million in 2024.  Fans there are worried at how COVID wiped out reserves, and they are not sure how this will be made up.

It was also said that season tickets sold are still below 2021 levels...what?  With an eleven win year?

I'm sure they will navigate

through this just fine...

giphy.gif

• Wow 1
  • Haha 6
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

Bummer  . . . NOT

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure someone in that superior academic institution's braintrust will figure out a way to make those numbers work. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not sure why they didn't just charge some money for attending their spring game, could have balanced that shortfall quickly! 

Unknown.jpeg

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 8

Stunning, if true, that season ticket sales are down. 

With the Huskies' resurgence last season under a first year coach, and after years of mediocrity, you would think that enthusiasm would be near an all-time high.

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe their collective is looking for that special, big time donor to materialize and rescue the pack frome descent into the abyss... ?

That’s life in a sports top-heavy town like Seattle. That sucking sound the Washington Athletics Dept. never can keep from hearing? The finite wallet contents of average fans being magnetized by whoever the latest new kid in town happens to be; right now, probably the Kraken.

This is actually very interesting because they tout their love and passion as second to none.  Of course they will sell out when the DUCKS come to town.   Very interesting fan base.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:59 PM, Washington Waddler said:

That’s life in a sports top-heavy town like Seattle. That sucking sound the Washington Athletics Dept. never can keep from hearing? The finite wallet contents of average fans being magnetized by whoever the latest new kid in town happens to be; right now, probably the Kraken.

There be monsters out there in Seattle but CFB players are not among them. 

One more year of Michael Penix and a sterling WR room and then what? Lots of fun to dog the Dawgs but in the longer run Oregon vs UW has to be a big (not necessarily B1G) game of national interest. UW and the Pac-10 need UW to win at Michigan State in 2023, a game that will be available to 20M Peacock viewers and others willing to pay for view. Come 2024, the already comparatively ignored P5 conference will be even more ignored. 

Other than Oregon vs UW and the buzz around Prime Time and CU what Pac-10 (12 with G5 SDSU and SMU add-ons) games will be must-watch TV? Stanford versus Notre Dame? 

GK is doing his best I am sure to sell the Pac-10 diminished game inventory but obviously, this is not an easy task. And SDSU and SMU will not ipso facto raise interest in the conference. I continue to believe that a merger of some sort with the ACC is the Pac-10/12's best long-term play if it wants to keep the existing 10 teams together.

If UW is not nationally relevant Oregon will be the Pac-10's lone ranger.

• Applause 1

On 6/16/2023 at 9:59 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Seattle and UW have the same problem as the bay area and to a larger extent California college sports teams have... They have a very strong pro scene. 

Granted Seattle doesn't have am NBA team STILL considering it's been well over a decade since they lost the sonics. 

However, they do have the Seahawks which attracts a very strong fan base around football season. 

As a Portland resident I don't have an NFL team... I mean geographically I am nearest the Seahawks (blech!) And the 49ers (not feeling a connection) or Vegas (I wasn't a raiders fan to begin with).... I guess if I had to pick an NFL team I'm a chargers fan ONLY because of Herbert but I really couldn't be called a fan by a long shot. 

I'm an Oregon duck fan and a college football fan. Not all that interested in pro sports in larfe part because I don't have a team based close to me. 

The Huskies have to compete against the Seahawks and they are losing that fight. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It would be interesting to see some credible stats about the population growth in Seattle Area.  Where did the folks come from, as opposed to growth of "native born."

And, has fan interest in WSU also waned in the Seattle area?

Where has enrollment growth at UW and Stanford come from?

Has fan interest in Florida college teams waned as more "outsiders" arrive?

If TV programming which includes UW diminishes that will also affect fan interest, it would seem?

Wonder if metro based teams in the West...San Francisco, Seattle, Phoenix, Los Angeles....is a prominent factor in why the Pac12 has overall diminished interest in the last 15-20 years in comparison to more smaller city conferences?

Not picking on UW here, just contemplating how demographics affect these situations.

On 6/16/2023 at 10:35 AM, Jon Joseph said:

One more year of Michael Penix and a sterling WR room and then what?

Precisely what I am saying as well.  You cannot plug enough holes with transfers, as I believe that 2022 and 2023 will be peak years for the Huskies.  Funny how Cristobal's weakness was Xs and Os, while it is recruiting with DeBore.  It is really hard to find a coach who is skilled in all areas.

Thus, it makes Dan Lanning that

much more remarkable; soak this up,

as what is happening in Eugene...

...is unique.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/16/2023 at 10:35 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Sounds good!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

This just in, realignment rears its ugly head as Washington exploring a 7 on 7 league for 2024 and beyond to match their recruiting totals.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 6/16/2023 at 12:49 PM, Steven A said:

This just in, realignment rears its ugly head as Washington exploring a 7 on 7 league for 2024 and beyond to match their recruiting totals.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Not a time to panic, they have the 9th rated class, I mean the 109th rated class. Just a few programs behind Moorhead's Zips.

Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 11.26.41 AM.jpg

• Wow 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2023 at 4:03 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

I should have yelled TWO!

On 6/16/2023 at 1:43 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I should have yelled TWO!

Looks like minus TWO to me!

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

The PNW is decorated in green and yellow. 

20230616_092630.jpg.43ad248c622be05eb81f894d799bb4a3.jpg

Fusky will be a footnote come play off expansion.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Actually, I hope UW is the 2nd Pac team to make the expanded playoff every year behind conference champ Oregon.

We need the dues!

On 6/18/2023 at 8:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Actually, I hope UW is the 2nd Pac team to make the expanded playoff every year behind conference champ Oregon.

We need the dues!

I'd rather that be the Beavers instead... 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

fuskies public reaction: Great. One is all we need!

fuskies private reaction:

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 9:12 AM, David Marsh said:

I'd rather that be the Beavers instead... 

If SDSU and SMU join the pack, I would like those schools to be a legit power in the pack. Gets more eyeballs on the Ducks in those regions.

Hopefully the Ducks can win a NC game in the first couple years of an expanded play-off.  That would solidify the Pac as a power conference. Especially if Utah, SDSU and SMU are in the mix year in, year out 

On 6/18/2023 at 12:37 PM, Log Haulin said:

If SDSU and SMU join the pack, I would like those schools to be a legit power in the pack. Gets more eyeballs on the Ducks in those regions.

Hopefully the Ducks can win a NC game in the first couple years of an expanded play-off.  That would solidify the Pac as a power conference. Especially if Utah, SDSU and SMU are in the mix year in, year out 

Over the last decade, SDSU has had a very good CFB record against Pac-10 opponents and with UCLA and SC leaving town will be at the top of the conference in CBB.

SMU? Kind of off the west coast radar. Has been OK in the AAC in CFB. Has been up and down nationally in CBB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Playing in the Dallas area once in a while will really help the Ducks' Texas recruiting, and interest in the Mustang program will explode.  Good for all.

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

SMU interest in the Dallas market should pick up significantly when they join the Pac12. Having teams like Oregon visiting regularly should pack their stadium easily as well.

WWW.NBCDFW.COM

As college football season continues, Vivid Seats is looking at fandom across North Texas based on ticket sales.

Open link and scroll for map.  Royal Blue is SMU.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:35 PM, Jon Joseph said:

2010 - 2015 all over again.

On 6/18/2023 at 4:11 PM, kirklandduck said:

SMU interest in the Dallas market should pick up significantly when they join the Pac12. Having teams like Oregon visiting regularly should pack their stadium easily as well.

As a member of the Dallas market, I can confirm that I know I and several others will be there every opportunity to help pack their stadium 🙂  Don't mind me over here crossing my fingers!

• Go Ducks! 1