Charles Fischer

Signs Pointing to a Brandon Baker Oregon Verbal...

National writer for On3, Josh Newman gave his prediction, as did a Georgia On3 mod after Baker's visit recently to Athens.  A big 5-Star that could boost the class!

Baker status.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

To keep the 2024 recruiting class in the Top 10, DL and staff may need a few 5☆ players to committ.

Brandon Baker would make a great start............

Hopefully the first of a handful of 5☆ in the 2024 class. At some point, DL and staff will have assembled the talent and depth to finish a season with a Natty.

GO DUCKS.......

On 6/26/2023 at 8:18 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

To keep the 2024 recruiting class in the Top 10, DL and staff may need a few 5☆ players to committ.

IMO, Oregon needs 2-5* kids and the rest be 4*and they will be top 7/8.

But, wait!!! There's More!

(Wishful thinking) 

If Oregon lands three 5* recruits and the remains recruits are 4* then they are a powerful top 3 contender. Get 4 of those top kids and the remains be 4* and its a solid top 3. 

But, just any high caliber kid isn't a needle mover in my view. If you can't blow up the line, the top CB's can't hang for 4-5 seconds play in and play out. Top of the 'Line' (hehe see what I did there?) recruits from inside out will cover 3 star Corner Backs trailing skills all day long. 3* lineman will struggle more and it will show in a team defense and getting the opponent off the field.

Lanning is bringing the Cattle Car for the linemen.

I believe we end up ranked around 4/5 in recruiting with a jaw dropping list of linemen suiting up.

The PAC should be very concerned.....period.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/26/2023 at 8:57 AM, 1Funduck said:

Lanning is bringing the Cattle Car for the linemen.

Lanning is recruiting WAY MORE Edge rushers than needed--by design; he is finding out who is best and the others can move on....

He knows that if he has a number of elite rushers, than he blitz at times, but also only rush four other times and create havoc with the various "simulated pressures" where the offensive line does not know where the pressure is going to come from.  Overload a side with a couple of skilled pass-rushers, and someone can get through.

Meanwhile, you have seven in the secondary--which makes it harder for the QB to squeeze passes into tight windows....especially if he is running for his life!

On 6/26/2023 at 8:57 AM, 1Funduck said:

The PAC should be very concerned.....period.

Amen Duck-Brother!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Some wonder why we didn't have much havoc with our defense, we didn't have havoc makers. Coach Lanning is making sure that isn't a long-term problem.

Lanning wants havoc, and will get it. Agree he is bringing in the talent and will see who has the talent, and the will power to win the job.

I just hope he brought somebody in this season who can make a difference.

I want to see Penix and Williams on their backs in the first quarter of our games. That will be game changers. Seeing a qb watch the lineman as much as his receivers, changes everything.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 6/26/2023 at 12:53 PM, Haywarduck said:

Some wonder why we didn't have much havoc with our defense, we didn't have havoc makers. Coach Lanning is making sure that isn't a long-term problem.

Lanning wants havoc, and will get it. Agree he is bringing in the talent and will see who has the talent, and the will power to win the job.

Lanning in year one really made an effort to take the roster he was given and bring in some transfers to help bloster it but he didn't gut the roster, like what we have seen in Colorado or USC. 

He took the year to figure out what he had and to go with it. Obviously he didn't have the right players so it didn't work great. 

And a big reason for failed pass rush last year was Oregon had a soft underbelly where qbs could almost always just dump the ball off for some quick yards and avoid the rush. 

Getting that secondary set up and more importantly the linebackers to cover those underneath routes will help the pass rush immensely. 

It also doesn't hurt if there are some moster pass rushers as well. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Baker would be huge for the class and to solidify A'lique Terry as an elite recruiter

• Go Ducks! 1

Some wonder why we didn't have much havoc with our defense, we didn't have havoc makers.

To me, that is precisely right.  When you are blitzing six against Eastern Washington with no results--yikes.  It is then the coaches went to a safer defensive philosophy that matched up with what we were doing with burning clock on offense.  I suspect we also did not have the pieces in place in the secondary as I believe we will this year, (in particular at the STAR spot) and we did not have any star edge rushers.

I just hope he brought somebody in this season who can make a difference.

I believe Jordan Burch and Matayo Uiagalelei fit that bill, and the attention given to them will free-up Brandon Dorlus and Casey Rogers, I believe.

I also think there will be another new edge rusher or two who will emerge over the season....Blake Purchase? Johnny Bowen?

Greg Biggins on Twitter: "BREAKING: Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco ATH Matayo  Uiagalelei has committed to #Oregon and breaks down why he chose the #Ducks  https://t.co/qNtV4yMZ4q https://t.co/kyo0k8N0Qp" / Twitter

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I would like to propose a new nickname for the improved edge rushers:

The Bruise Brothers. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2

What I want to see is wide spread panic, not just havoc. I would say in the good old days that is what Oregon caused. We didn't just cause havoc, we caused wide spread panic, a pretty good band too.

• Go Ducks! 1

Dr. Hilarius and Haywardduck,

You fellows are on the right track: Bruise Brothers - love it. Creating widespread panic AND havoc describes the desired effect perfectly! Still, we have not yet accomplished that, so don't get too far ahead of yourself and the desired conditions we want our Ducks defense to create.

Great creativity and imagination! Now, our Ducks must do it on the field, OR, we will resemble a burned-out sparkler on the 4th of July. I believe this is all about 

our coaches (and players) figuring out how to set up drills by which our talented D-linemen work against and practice how to beat our talented O-linemen. For a linebacker, handball drills and playing that game facilitate lateral explosion and requisite quickness. So, just as with LBs, there must be drills (or thos drills can be created) that accentuate [the positive] the recognition of angles and the use and leverage of hands, arms and hips; and how to keep those feet moving in the direction the D-lineman wants to go. Now, we must use our Duck imagination to crush the initial attack, and to rapidly counter-attack (and create widespread panic)!

Love that verbiage and the titles. Now, our D-Linemen have to earn those tactical victories on the line to receive the award of those titles.

Coaches, Assts, and players, better get back to work; TT will be a handful, and then comes the PAC.

Great work! I remain VR,

KCDuck1

The appellation, Bruise Brothers has been used in a number of sports (wrestling, NBA, etc.)  The original name was applied to the defensive line of the San Diego Chargers (my much loved hometown team), ca 1980.  They were Fred Dean, Gary Johnson, Louie Kelcher, and Leroy Jones and were among the most dominant, fearsome lines in football.

Perhaps we can find something original like the Crush Crew, Havoc Homies, Green Meanies (😁) or ...   What can you come up with?

On 6/27/2023 at 7:37 AM, Mudslide said:

Perhaps we can find something original like the Crush Crew, Havoc Homies, Green Meanies (😁) or ...   What can you come up with?

China has the "Great Wall" and perhaps Oregon can build the "Green Wall?"

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Autzen Blitz'ems?

Thundering Earth-Quackers?

• Haha 2

The appellation, Bruise Brothers has been used in a number of sports (wrestling, NBA, etc.)  The original name was applied to the defensive line of the San Diego Chargers (my much loved hometown team), ca 1980.  They were Fred Dean, Gary Johnson, Louie Kelcher, and Leroy Jones and were among the most dominant, fearsome lines in football.

Duck Cover and Roll Defense

• Applause 1

QB Career Destroyers.

A bit OT but in regards to recruiting and NIL the NCAA is a toothless tiger.

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

The latest memo from the NCAA makes you wonder why it even tries to act like it has any enforcement power whatsoever.  As we...

Duck Trucked, Webbed Wall, Puddles of confusion, Ooooorion Belted.

Well this is fun!

On 6/28/2023 at 4:38 PM, Log Haulin said:

Webbed Wall

I like that....

Mr. FishDuck

I think the new transfers in, plus the talented '23 class and what we are likely to recruit going forward...we'll be really good this year and even better down the road.  Only concern is QB next year, although year 2 for Novasad and anther 20 lbs,..could be ok, and probably another 20 in year 3...or TT breaks out of the shell?