lownslowav8r

Kliavkoff Caught With His Pants Down, Twice.

THEATHLETIC.COM

Colorado is expected to vote to rejoin the Big 12 on Thursday, an embarrassing move for the Pac-12 that would destabilize its future.

Kliavkoff better have something to say today or very soon. His silence during this process over the last year has hurt the PAC as has his inability to "read the room" and sense danger signs. 

"Think about just how many things the Pac-12 had to get wrong over those 13 years to arrive at this precarious moment where it may soon be down to just nine members. Think about the fact that just two summers ago, after powers Oklahoma and Texas bolted the Big 12, new commissioner George Kliavkoff and his league presidents felt no need to grab a TCU or Houston when either would have come crawling in a nanosecond.

Former commissioner Larry Scott may have set the Pac-12’s tumble in motion with his combo of arrogance and aloofness, but Kliavkoff, his successor, has now rolled the boulder right up to the edge of the cliff with a unique cocktail of naivete and negligence.

It’s admittedly debatable whether Kliavkoff could have done anything to prevent USC and UCLA from leaving for the much-richer Big Ten. Some folks within the league say the warning signs were there that its golden ticket, USC, was getting antsy. Others say the L.A. schools’ defections last year came as a complete shock.

But Colorado? … He really can’t keep Colorado?

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Trying to keep my sense of humor...

• Haha 5
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

Is Colorado gonna poop or git off the pot, as Grandpa used to say in slightly more "colorful" terms?

• Thumbs Up 1

I have it on good authority George is looking into this, studying the situation, and everything will be under control. An announcement is imminent, I have also heard from those way up the food chain. 

Actually, for those of my era, I think Don Rickles said it best. The problem is when Rickles said the insults he was being funny, and it was a sign of endearing admiration, most of the time. He was the king of insults.

Unknown.jpeg

don-rickles.gif

Edited by Haywarduck
gif replacing pdf
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 7/27/2023 at 10:01 AM, lownslowav8r said:

Think about the fact that just two summers ago, after powers Oklahoma and Texas bolted the Big 12, new commissioner George Kliavkoff and his league presidents felt no need to grab a TCU or Houston when either would have come crawling in a nanosecond.

I still largely lay this whole fiasco at the feet of Leisure Suit Larry and his fiancé, Carol Folt. From what I understand she almost single-handedly shut down the prospect of expansion from her lofty throne in LA, all while knowing full well they were bolting for whiter, snowier pastures...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/27/2023 at 1:51 PM, Wrathis said:

still largely lay this whole fiasco at the feet of Leisure Suit Larry and his fiancé, Carol Folt.

Yup, I’ve felt that USC moving on was a net benefit to the conference. Folt is a sociopath with a big knife. 

I haven't boarded the train on firing George yet, but if he doesn't get at least 31.7 per school.  He has to go.  Big 12 got a deal early, but they also left money on the table.  If the PAC doesn't get at least equal to the Big 12, that 100% looks like the right call.  If the PAC exceeds the Big 12, then it looks like the Big 12 made the wrong move.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I might have been unfair to Kliavkof. He and the rest of the PAC knew Colorado was “wobbly.” Hopefully they have a plan in place. 

As a singular entity, Colorado’s departure will have little impact. The Buffaloes posted just one winning season in football and were a mid-level program in men’s basketball. Nor is their location viewed as a critical hub for recruiting.

But to what extent will the departure undermine collective faith in Kliavkoff’s leadership? How will the departure impact the Pac-12’s media rights negotiations? And most significantly, will Arizona, Arizona State or Utah follow the Buffaloes out the door? All three schools have drawn interest from the ultra-aggressive Big 12.

If the schools remain committed, the conference will move forward in its basic form and attempt to replace the Buffaloes by expansion.

Multiple industry sources who described Colorado as an ongoing flight risk told the Hotline that there is currently no indication Arizona, Arizona State and Utah are planning to depart.

Meanwhile, the Big Ten has shown no interest in adding Oregon or Washington, with commissioner Tony Petitti telling reporters on Wednesday that he hasn’t received “any direction” from his schools to pursue more members.

WWW.MERCURYNEWS.COM

The Buffaloes bolt for the Big 12, and the future of the Pac-12 depends on what happens next.

IMO, the Pac is done. Will Oregon survive? Probably. But they are going to be severely battered in the process. 

What does the 24' recruiting class look like after the smoke clears? Will/can DL crawfish on his contract extention? Would love to be a fly on the wall at dinner time in the lanning household. 

Oregon is on the outside looking in. I don't see any way Oregon gets out of this fully intact. 

Sorry for being a doomer but this is a nasty situation for the Ducks to find themselves in. 

• Wow 1

Although I wish this day would have never come and I was against it from the beginning, probably now time for Oregon to knock on the B1G's door and ask to be let in. The PAC, in my opinion, is done.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kliavkoff is caught in a vice, as you say, "with his pants down". Not a good look.

I retort that GK should bear only a small part of the blame. The Executive Committee is most to blame, with Larry Scott in a close second place.

Mr. Kliavkoff stepped onto a fast sinking ship with very bad timing. On these big issues Kliavkoff is merely an advisor as the votes and major decisions rest with the committee who made bad ones even before Kliavkoff arrived at the whipping post.

• Applause 1

Pac-12 fans deserve better from leadership

Unfortunately, the Pac-12 executive committee and two fumbling conference commissioners in a row, do not.

The proud Conference of Champions remains a college jewel, or does it?

And for how long?

When Colorado’s administration reportedly decided on Wednesday to pursue membership in the Big 12 and bolt the Pac-12, it signaled a puddle of chaos and fracture of unity for the league. The move became official on Thursday.

With USC and UCLA headed for the Big Ten after this coming season and Colorado reportedly returning to its roots in the Big 12, doors have been opened for other entities to become predators or members to shop around.

With no apparent Pac-12 offer to San Diego State or SMU at the moment, and putting SDSU in a real pickle with the Mountain West, this is a league that is showing little creativity, backbone or leadership.

WWW.DESERET.COM

Colorado’s reported departure from the Pac-12 Conference to the Big 12 is latest in a long string of fumbling from Pac-12 leaders.

Something smells off-shore, sorta.

BAMAHAMMER.COM

The college football conference still officially known as the Pac-12 now has just nine teams for the 2024 season. In short order this...

On 7/28/2023 at 12:02 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Pac-12 fans deserve better from leadership

Unfortunately, the Pac-12 executive committee and two fumbling conference commissioners in a row, do not.

The proud Conference of Champions remains a college jewel, or does it?

And for how long?

When Colorado’s administration reportedly decided on Wednesday to pursue membership in the Big 12 and bolt the Pac-12, it signaled a puddle of chaos and fracture of unity for the league. The move became official on Thursday.

With USC and UCLA headed for the Big Ten after this coming season and Colorado reportedly returning to its roots in the Big 12, doors have been opened for other entities to become predators or members to shop around.

With no apparent Pac-12 offer to San Diego State or SMU at the moment, and putting SDSU in a real pickle with the Mountain West, this is a league that is showing little creativity, backbone or leadership.

WWW.DESERET.COM

Colorado’s reported departure from the Pac-12 Conference to the Big 12 is latest in a long string of fumbling from Pac-12 leaders.

Fool me once? Fool me twice should equal a Pink Slip and a boot out the door. Did anything new come out of yesterday's emergency meeting? NO! 

On 7/27/2023 at 6:24 PM, lownslowav8r said:

I might have been unfair to Kliavkof. He and the rest of the PAC knew Colorado was “wobbly.” Hopefully they have a plan in place. 

WWW.MERCURYNEWS.COM

The Buffaloes bolt for the Big 12, and the future of the Pac-12 depends on what happens next.

The Plan? We have met the enemy and they are us! It's all good. Nothing to see here, move right along.

On 7/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, Tandaian said:

I haven't boarded the train on firing George yet, but if he doesn't get at least 31.7 per school.  He has to go.  Big 12 got a deal early, but they also left money on the table.  If the PAC doesn't get at least equal to the Big 12, that 100% looks like the right call.  If the PAC exceeds the Big 12, then it looks like the Big 12 made the wrong move.

I'm saving a ticket for you while hoping that the train soon departs the station.

The Pac12.

The Conference of You Snooze You Lose.

• Haha 1

Some prospective. Senseless negotiating by ESPN and Fox to be on the hook to fund B12 expansion but sound negotiating by Yormark. Give the devil his due.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The Big 12 keeps getting bigger but not necessarily better. Colorado will join the conference in 2024, following the leaps...

I guess there WAS some truth to the rumors.  Looks like two very reliable PAC12 sources have egg on their faces.

Sometimes when there is smoke, there is fire.  Arizona is on deck.  No matter what people say at this point.  

I actually believe the Big Ten wants the conference to implode so they don't look so bad.  Nebraska's President hinted at the future...it doesn't look good at all for Oregon State and WSU.  

One can't blame the kids for wanting to get paid, but the basketball and football players pretty much wrecked the Olympic Sports (talk about Conference of Champions).  

Fortunately, Title 9 is going to save the women.  But the Conference of Champions just nuked the sports that garnered it's reputation.  

Just goes to show elitism doesn't save your neck.  

OBD should be fine long term.  I'm sure we lost that 5star linebacker to Georgia because the conference can't get out of its own way though. 

If I were Dan Lanning, I'd tell the team we are going undefeated.  Let them.know they can do it.  A playoff win would turn any elite football player our way as well.  

Time to take matters fully into our own hands.  WE CAN CONTROL OUR REPUTATION.  Obliterate the mediocre, defeat the elite.  Just win baby.  

That's where I'm at as far as this goes.  Show the world Oregon is the new blue blood.  

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/28/2023 at 7:34 AM, Notalot said:

Kliavkoff is caught in a vice, as you say, "with his pants down". Not a good look.

I retort that GK should bear only a small part of the blame. The Executive Committee is most to blame, with Larry Scott in a close second place.

Mr. Kliavkoff stepped onto a fast sinking ship with very bad timing. On these big issues Kliavkoff is merely an advisor as the votes and major decisions rest with the committee who made bad ones even before Kliavkoff arrived at the whipping post.

If Kliakoff is “merely an advisor,” he should go…….sooner than later.

He was touted as a deal maker, not an advisor.

• Applause 1

On 7/28/2023 at 12:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Some prospective. Senseless negotiating by ESPN and Fox to be on the hook to fund B12 expansion but sound negotiating by Yormark. Give the devil his due.

WWW.YARDBARKER.COM

The Big 12 keeps getting bigger but not necessarily better. Colorado will join the conference in 2024, following the leaps...

yes, this is the point I made elsewhere, Colorado is not a big loss. UA and ASU can't follow though. If so Oregon has to go B1G or Big 12, as much as I HATE that. 

• Applause 1

On 7/27/2023 at 8:01 AM, lownslowav8r said:

"But Colorado? … He really can’t keep Colorado?"

Pretty much says it all.

On 7/27/2023 at 8:01 AM, lownslowav8r said:

• Applause 1

The former Pac-12 Emperor, Larry Scott, went around without clothes for basically more than a decade.

Sadly, the conference powers-that-be pretended otherwise. 

Hopefully, the University of Oregon can now pull off a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 9th.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last week, George Kliavkoff said he wasn't worried about the Big 12 trying to poach any of the PAC-12 teams.

"It's not a concern," he said last week at Pac-12 media day in Las Vegas, addressing the topic publicly for the first time this year. "Our schools are committed to each other and the Pac-12."

I'm not 100% certain, but that might not have aged very well.

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1

Is "CPT" Kliavkoff (CK) able to work on more than one future-related Conference project at a time? Does he always believe he has everything he needs right in front of him, and nothing someone told him is anything other than what he believes (didn't the Colorado President tell CK he expected CK to provide the        "[Media financial] numbers" during Media Day? Does he always believe no other conference intends to poach any of his Conference institutions just because they don't call to tell him they are doing so?

One has to remember human nature, and that winners/losers exist today in our society - sports has winners and losers! The Conference of Champions and all academic/athletic conferences are to a limited extent zero-sum games. CK may want to believe all professional relationships are "Hail Fellow, well met", but they are not. Just ask your local Bar Association.

I happen to think the PAC 9 will be better off without Colorado, and better off with SDSU. SDSU has invested in it's reputation. CU has only begun to do so. But, that doesn't mean the PAC 9 should treat CU poorly by not showing up with the Media financial numbers and information CK had; and, it doesn't mean CK can hang SDSU out to dry, just because he can.

CK has been caught with his pants down more than twice, and he must understand he is not an advisor and the fault all lies with an Executive committee. No, he was hired to be in charge, and to make those tough decisions that includes a lot of staff work and resposible coordination. I think CK should have one more month to tidy up all the loose ends, and if he can't do it, and do it well, he's done; and that action is with prejudice. By the way, has CK begun the legal action to recover or pay the $50-60 M back? The PAC 9 cannot afford to do one action at a time. If that's the standard, we all lose.

VR, KCDuck1

On 7/28/2023 at 4:02 PM, DUCKED said:

If Kliakoff is “merely an advisor,” he should go…….sooner than later.

He was touted as a deal maker, not an advisor.

I don't know that the midst of a storm is the time to mutiny the captain. 

We do not know what GK has recommended or brought to the table?

We do know that the executive committee allowed missteps over a long timeframe without taking corrective action.

We can see that the executive committee did not have good vision of the changing environment.

We also know that the committee did not strike when the opportunity to expand was ripe.

The committee was continually in flux with the transitions of some of the presidents, interim presidents. Governance by committee is not as bad as management by committee.

Mr. Kliavkoff accepted his role under perilous conditions beyond his control. The committee was most responsible for the vibrancy and competitiveness of the Pac12 conference. How are they doing of late?

• Thumbs Up 1