Charles Fischer

Beavers Pretty Unhappy with Oregon...'File Lawsuits!'

The heck of it is...I don't know of any Oregon fans who feel good about this at all.  We want to bury Oregon State on the field, but not like this.  We are not like USC fans...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I'm hoping that who ever is left in the Pac bring in the top MWC schools, still maintain a top 25 presence and keep going as strong as possible. The only thing that makes me happy about any of this is the outrage from SUC fans about the Ducks crashing their party.

That beaverblitz poster gives new meaning to 'I have no clue about this whole thing and my hatred of the Ducks is more important than caring about my own school/teams.'🤯

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well little brother, in case you haven't figured this out it's now every man for himself.  We didn't start this mess, we're just trying to make lemonade here.

That said I would be really bummed if when the dust settles the Civil War goes the way of the Pac-12.

• Thumbs Up 2

Clemson and South Carolina play every year.  Georgia vs Georgia Tech.  Florida vs FSU.  Oregon and Oregon State can keep their rivalry even if they aren't in the same conference.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 9:27 AM, Tandaian said:

Clemson and South Carolina play every year.  Georgia vs Georgia Tech.  Florida vs FSU.  Oregon and Oregon State can keep their rivalry even if they aren't in the same conference.

Of course, but this is certainly not a given at this point.

If only bean dip stadium had been converted from its high school vibe 40 years ago instead of opening Fall 2023, things might have been different.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

IMHO rivalries are so much better when there are conference implications.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2023 at 9:27 AM, Tandaian said:

There would be a delay in the rivalry probably. OOC are pretty set for next ten-ish years. Granted... There could be some openings with realignment but it would take awhile to reestablish the rivalry game on a yearly basis. 

On 8/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, Charles Fischer said:

The heck of it is...I don't know of any Oregon fans who feel good about this at all.  We want to bury Oregon State on the field, but not like this.  We are not like USC fans...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight? Stinks for OR ST but what is the premise for the lawsuit? The media grant of rights ends in 2023. It's unfortunate that OR ST will be shuttled off to the Mountain West but Oregon does not owe one iota of a fiduciary duty to Oregon State.

Being upset at your situation in life compared to others better situated does not ipso facto allow for a remedy at law. I very much doubt that reasonable parties at OR ST will pour money into a useless lawsuit. To my knowledge, the two schools do not have a single board of overseers as is the case with CA public universities and state universities. I tried to research this and the search agent did not lead to a result. 

image.thumb.gif.7f7d4e7bf78ab2e8340a6fc61ea6600c.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Also... Did I miss something? Has Oregon announce we're leaving yet? 

Until something is announced this feels premature. 

I do fully anticipate Oregon having to pay OSU some money in an arangment like UCLA and Cal, granted if Cal is sucked into the B1G then that would go away. But still I can see that happening for Oregon and Oregon State. 

I'd also say that the majority of Oregon fans are probably unhappy at the prospect of the pac-12 demise. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, David Marsh said:

There would be a delay in the rivalry probably. OOC are pretty set for next ten-ish years. Granted... There could be some openings with realignment but it would take awhile to reestablish the rivalry game on a yearly basis. 

Sounds like we could be headed into an Uncivil War. 

Buy out FSC games and an annual game would be doable sooner rather than later. 

On 8/3/2023 at 1:28 PM, David Marsh said:

Also... Did I miss something? Has Oregon announce we're leaving yet? 

Until something is announced this feels premature. 

I do fully anticipate Oregon having to pay OSU some money in an arangment like UCLA and Cal, granted if Cal is sucked into the B1G then that would go away. But still I can see that happening for Oregon and Oregon State. 

I'd also say that the majority of Oregon fans are probably unhappy at the prospect of the pac-12 demise. 

Not official. But the B1G presidents' meeting and subsequently authorizing the commissioner to explore further expansion seems to indicate that B1G expansion is coming. Why else have the meeting and the consequent message to the commissioner?

Notre Dame due to contractual obligations is not, unless 8 or more members decide to bolt the ACC, in the mix. The B1G's concern about 'destroying' the Pac after poaching SC and UCLA is disingenuous but I very much doubt that the B1G wants to break up the ACC and risk interference with contract litigation from the ACC and ESPN. 

Far different for Pac teams to be poached and to leave when the end of the current grant of rights deal expires at the end of the 2023 season.

BTW, Jon Wilner suggests that Oregon's 1st-year payout will likely be in the range of $30M with modest escalation before the B1G's new media deal expires in 2031/32. Better than the $20M or so payout under the current agreement. This kind of step-up deal should if USC's whining matters to the B1G presidents, assuage the Trojans. 

If an offer is coming it will be accepted, probably before the middle of next week.  4 teams on the West Coast will elevate travel concerns and 6 teams even more so. UCLA has to be pushing for Cal to be invited in order to escape the Cal alimony payments.

The college expansion Game of Thrones continues at Star Trek-like Warp Speed. 

image.gif.a1aea6b41bb604b2801c2a7c1de6deb6.gif

On 8/3/2023 at 10:30 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Buy out FSC games and an annual game would be doable sooner rather than later.

And if SDSU and other MW Conference teams are in the same conference as Oregon State then there might be some flexibility in their schedule. 

Bill Oram: Stop the madness! Save the Oregon-Oregon State rivalry before that is gone forever, too

No! Dammit, no!

Why is this happening and why are we allowing it?

Where is the outrage? Who do we call? How do we stop it?

Oregon and Oregon State have been playing football head to head since 1894. It’s the best rivalry in the country and you can’t tell anybody within these borders anything different.

And this is how it ends? It can’t be!

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

With the Big Ten open to adding Washington and Oregon, we are on the verge of losing a sports rivalry that has defined us as...
  • Like 1

I am afraid Bill did not offer much constructive suggestion as how to do or pay for this.

If 4 corners leave, crap has done more than hit the fan.

I'd like to see the Pac stay relevant, but University of Spoiled Children obfuscated and bailed, opening the pac coffin.

4 corners would/will nail it shut.  

We will/would be far better off in Big, than Pac 6 plus  in my reluctant opinion also.

Up to Phil really, he pays the bills.

• Applause 1

Bill Oram is part of the new narrative, that if the Pac-12 crumbles and Oregon goes to the B1G...then the demise of the Civil War is the Ducks fault?

Typical slanted journalistic reasoning...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Ironic that OSU wants to blame the Ducks if the conference collapses when we can all blame Little Brother for Larry Scott’s tenure. Most university presidents and ADs wanted him gone years earlier than he left but OSU president Ed Ray was the loud knucklehead in the room that kept supporting LS.

Reap what you sow sometimes Beavis.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon State and Washington State belong in the Mountain West based on the size of their stadiums, location, fan following, recruits and on field success. They would have a better shot at the playoffs in another conference.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/4/2023 at 6:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Bill Oram is part of the new narrative, that if the Pac-12 crumbles and Oregon goes to the B1G...then the demise of the Civil War is the Ducks fault?

Typical slanted journalistic reasoning...

giphy.gif

Bill’s entire premise is false.

There are many programs who are in different conferences that maintain an annual rivalry game (e.g., Florida/Florida State, Georgia/Georgia Tech, Clemson/South Carolina, USC/Notre Dame). Why couldn’t Oregon and Oregon State do the same?

Buy out some of the OOC games in the next couple of years to make it happen sooner. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Beavers are talking about retaliation...

Mr. FishDuck

On "X"...

MHver3
Hearing now there is a possibility B12 could go to 18 and bring in ASU/Utah/WSU/ORSU all at reduced shares for the remainder of the new contract and give them full membership at the next contract. Developing now so stay tuned.

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/4/2023 at 1:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

On "X"...

MHver3
Hearing now there is a possibility B12 could go to 18 and bring in ASU/Utah/WSU/ORSU all at reduced shares for the remainder of the new contract and give them full membership at the next contract. Developing now so stay tuned.

Good to hear. Would love to see Beavus in one of the Big3. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, CO and AZ get full share because they are 1st to join?  Wow, that is not a great way to bring in additional PAC teams, but when you are drowning, you don't throw away a life preserver because it is beat up.

It’s always interesting to reverse the roles. You think the rodents would’ve hesitated to blow us a kiss on their way out the door?

This whole situation is sickening. There seems to be no good solution.  Now the Pac will break up and leave all these resentments.  A conference that has stood since 1908 through wars, a depression and many other difficulties is going to end because of mismanagement and greed.  A lot of this can be laid at the feet of Larry Scott because of his ego and desire to maintain the Pac-12 channel, which has always been an inferior product.  

Regardless of how bad the situation is, we should all realize that we are all Oregonians and will have to live with the fallout from this for a long time. Traditions like the civil war game, which is one of the oldest rivalries in the country, may also cease to exist. Please keep in mind that many of us will be grieving this change and at this time, may not want to hear about how wonderful the BIG is or how lacking the Beavers are.  I have always rooted for the Beavers second after the Ducks and will continue to do so.

• Like 1

Uncle Phil, please buy out the 2024 game vs Texas Tech, and the OK State, and Baylor H+H games and replace these games with Oregon State.

Schedule OR State for the OOC series vs Michigan State which is going away along with the Ohio State OOC game.

On 8/4/2023 at 1:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The Beavers are talking about retaliation...

They can committee all they want. Nothing at all they can do to stop the move. That’s just for press clippings.

Oregon vs. Oregon State rivalry to remain despite Ducks' move to Big Ten

One of those major downsides is the fact that Oregon and Oregon State will no longer be members of the same conference. While that rivalry is among the most storied in the history of college football, it’s now unclear what the future holds for it.

However, a press release from the University of Oregon after the move was finalized on Friday might give a bit of assurance to fans that still wish to watch the rivalry formerly known as the Civil War year after years.

“In coming years, the UO will prioritize the long-held traditions, including competition across all sports with Oregon State University,” the university wrote in a press release on Friday afternoon.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon and Oregon State are separating, but the two schools remain committed to keeping the rivalry alive across all sports.

Mr. FishDuck