Charles Fischer

Where the REST of the Pac is Going...

Let's start a thread for that...

Mr. FishDuck

Cal may just drop sports all together. Ha!

OrSt, WSU, ASU, AZ and UT to the B12

Cal to the MTN West

Stanford  Independent

On 8/4/2023 at 2:49 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Cal to the MTN West

Stanford  Independent

Being independent is super risky. BYU jumped into Big12, ND will be in B1G in 2y max. That would leave Stanford. Probably not going to happen.

I hope Or St can land somewhere decent. Even if they are river rodents.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope OR State finds a good home but most likely Mountain West, which will be devastating to ORST’s efforts in football. A tragedy for ORST and WAST. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 5:49 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Will bring Big 12 to 18 schools.  Could the Big 12 for all pretense and purposes, for this one year only, are given the opportunity to add all these schools at the 31.7m according to the contractual agreement?  It would be great if this could happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:58 PM, lownslowav8r said:

I hope OR State finds a good home but most likely Mountain West, which will be devastating to ORST’s efforts in football. A tragedy for ORST and WAST. 

Agreed.  I did not want this...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

Would like to see OSU, WSU, Stanford, Cal & Utah Grab SDS, SMU and poach another 3 teams from MW to re-invent the Pac 10.  I've already assumed that both AZ schools are headed to the big 12.

Failing that, have the 5 Pac schools go to MW: This would be a significant upgrade for that conference, and a chance for OSU & Utah to be the big dogs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Beavs have their coach. JS is going to be a good one. Upgraded facilities. B12 should jump on the opportunity. Beavs would go cheap. Well below market value.

Beaves are going to be a good football team as long as JS is running the show. Beavs baseball is super attractive. Be a good buy for B12

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2023 at 3:06 PM, MTdux said:

Would like to see OSU, WSU, Stanford, Cal & Utah Grab SDS, SMU and poach another 3 teams from MW to re-invent the Pac 10.  I've already assumed that both AZ schools are headed to the big 12.

Failing that, have the 5 Pac schools go to MW: This would be a significant upgrade for that conference, and a chance for OSU & Utah to be the big dogs.

Utes have got to be incredibly frustrated. They jumped to the Pac out of MW and won 2 conference titles. 

Utes aren't heading back to MW. B12 will swoop them up. 5 years or less and Utes win the B12.

It would be great to meet Utes or Beavs in a playoff game. Epic!

C'mon...is the Mountain West really that bad?

Air Force

Boise State

Colorado State

Fresno State 

Hawaii

Nevada

New Mexico

San Diego State

San Jose State

UNLV

Utah State

Wyoming

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

It’s basically down to where do OSU, WSU, Cal, & Stanford go.  

What are things that we are aware of:

Mountain West buyouts are too expensive for any of them to come to PAC with those 4 before 2025.

Not hearing ANY talk of Mountain West absorbing anybody and their TV $ are so low they can’t afford splitting.  Don’t know if their current contract allows for any $ in expansion.

Stanford has the $ to be independent for a year or 2.  Not the others.

Big12 all but just added the 2 Arizona schools and Utah to go with Colorado.  Even if they want to expand beyond that, OSU and WSU are waaaaaaaaaay down the list.  Bay Area schools don’t seem to fit but maybe.

Really is sad but a Beavis and Cougs are really in a pickle.

Also feel sad for SDSU.  Got led on by George without any firm ground or $.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:49 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Stanford  Independent

More likely Stanford gets rid of sports. 

Only one school can generate enough media revenue to be independent at a high level these days and that Notre Dame and they aren't even fully independent anymore. They are partial football members of the ACC and full members for other sports. 

Independence is really dead at this point.

On 8/4/2023 at 3:16 PM, Log Haulin said:

Utes aren't heading back to MW. B12 will swoop them up. 5 years or less and Utes win the B12.

I sure hope so. Great revenge. Looking forward to the Utes stomping Colorado. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The more I think on this…

Even if OSU, WSU, Cal, Stanford try and make a go as the Pac- they can’t afford MWC team team buyouts now, especially with no viable tv deal.  SDSU and SMU can’t happen now.

And Apples already rotten deal has to be off the table now…not even worth it for them anymore at those $ with these Pac prospects.   Maybe MWC goes with Apple at next contract to increase its $ via streaming.   

So in meantime Pac4 brings in Eastern, Montana…

Or somehow convinces Big12 they need to hit 20 teams NOW and get added on the chest at low%s .   But Seems Big12 should not keep buying until they stand back to see what SHOULD be next, vs what is desperate.   Can’t see WSU and OSU being better than some other options for Big12 add…after the Zona schools and Utah go. 

On 8/4/2023 at 3:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

C'mon...is the Mountain West really that bad?

I don’t think they are bad but the money isn’t there. How is ORST going to pay JS’s salary?  How long before he has to leave?

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Yikes! 1

If Oregon State and Washington State go to the  Mountain West, I think they will have to make big budget cuts, dropping some sports.  They are used to getting about 20 million a year in media money, dropping to the 4 million a year that Mountain West gets would be a killer.

I am pretty sure Larry's 11 year lease is still active and empty on that SF office space so the Pac could go there!

Oh, you mean the rest of the programs, got it.

Truly a sad situation, the conference of champions, is now full of pigeons looking for a place to land, something to eat.

Oregon State and Washington State are gonna have to go the BYU, Cincy, Houston and UCF route. Cincy and UCF were apart of the Big East during their last years as a P6 member. They both made it to some BCS bowls via winning the league. Then they had to go back down and build back up without that P6 money.

BYU has a rich history but just have never been in a major conference. Houston has been investing without any major conference backing to get that call. They made it to some NY6 bowls. Cincy made it to the playoffs , UCF has had some great years with great exposure. Those four did it without P5 money.  Now Oregon State looks to be investing finally.

It's gonna be a bit tougher because Cincy, Houston and Orlando are all good markets with great high school football, while BYU has a national brand already. But it can be done, look at Boise State. They are very relevant, probably a candidate for the PAC had it gone on. Regardless of that, Boise State is the Gonzaga of football. Perhaps Oregon State or Washington State can become sharks in a pond. Make some playoff pushes and raise their brand value. Here's looking at you Beav.

casablanca-heres-looking-at-you-kid.gif.a95ba2049e78b25a7c484dae208b1bd5.gif

Meanwhile, Larry is doing just fine.

• Yikes! 1

On 8/4/2023 at 4:07 PM, lownslowav8r said:

I don’t think they are bad but the money isn’t there. How is ORST going to pay JS’s salary?  How long before he has to leave?

You bring up a good point about Jonathan Smith. If Oregon State is in a power conference I think he is untouchable and happy to stay at OSU for a very long time. 

But I don't think he wants to play in the G5.

Well we really have 3 tiers now... 

Power 3 - B1G, SEC and for maybe another year or two the ACC.

The intermediate - the Big-12, and the PAC (until they fold) 

Then the G5

The big-12 has a whole lot of G5 schools and some P5 schools but still lacking those premier brands..

Oregon and Washington leave for B1G and receive between 30 and 40 million according to initial reports.  Latest reports that the four corners schools will all go to the Big12 and receive full shares of just over 30 million. So 6 out of the 10 Pac teams end up getting over 30 million but when all 10 teams were together they were only worth 20 million each?  Hmmm....

Edited by crazyjeff
  • Thumbs Up 2

Washington State, Stanford unhappy after Washington, Oregon join Pac-12 defections with move to Big Ten

After Oregon and Washington both announced on Friday they will leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten in July 2024, leaders from both Washington State and Stanford issued statements after the mounting defections from the Pac-12 in the latest wave of conference realignment created a dire picture for a conference that both the Ducks and Huskies were charter members of in 1915.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

There is no clear landing spot for Stanford and Washington State, among others, as the Pac-12 faces dire straits

On 8/4/2023 at 6:23 PM, crazyjeff said:

Oregon and Washington leave for B1G and receive between 30 and 40 million according to initial reports.  Latest reports that the four corners schools will all go to the Big12 and receive full shares of just over 30 million. So 6 out of the 10 Pac teams end up getting over 30 million but when all 10 teams were together they were only worth 20 million each?  Hmmm....

Ohhhh do I have a doozy of an article coming up for this point. 

The whole thing hit me last night. I'm working on getting around to write it now. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Big 12 has swiped the entire group of 'Four Corners' schools from the Pac-12

On 8/4/2023 at 9:23 PM, crazyjeff said:

Charles posted this in another thread:

From James Crepea on X/Twitter:

UO president John Karl Scholz: "We anticipate averaging over $50 million" annually in total media rights."

On 8/4/2023 at 6:47 PM, NJDuck said:

Charles posted this in another thread:

From James Crepea on X/Twitter:

UO president John Karl Scholz: "We anticipate averaging over $50 million" annually in total media rights."

Lets hope so.

This is a tough one for sure BUT everyone in the conference knew (or should have known) this could happen.  It's not like this hasn't been an issue that's been discussed and analyzed a million ways to Sunday  for a long time.   

I understand the disappointment for sure but at the same time these people, ADs and Univ Presidents are getting paid big bucks and with the exception of a few who were not in place, they let Larry Scott run amok and turned their noses up when Texas and Oklahoma wanted to join the P12.  They knew all the cards were on the table and when Kliavkoff could not come up with a deal other than the less than optimal Apple streaming thing, the writing was on the wall.  

I get that OS is upset and frankly Scott Barnes ranting about travel to the east coast is a bit shallow.  Did he really think that the Apple deal was going to hold the conference together????   If he did then he is not in the right job.   Say what you will about Colorado (and they have made their fair share of bad decisions) but they saw the writing on the wall.  And Barnes can whine all he wants, but if it were OS they would have jumped too and not given one iota about Oregon.

I honestly hope OS lands in the B12.   I think that would be a great fit for them.  I agree that Smith is a decent coach and they are on the upside now and hopefully they have some options other than the MW.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I think Utah will contend for the Big 12 title right away and probably win the conference as much as any team going forward.  TCU and Utah will be vying for it for a while.  The Utes will have a great chance to make the CFP.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

"There is something transcendental about Stanford asking Boise State if they can join their conference." 

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Awkward!

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/4/2023 at 8:25 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Awkward!

This is one of the few times when conference realignment will actually help a rivalry and not hurt it.

On 8/4/2023 at 7:05 PM, MikeJ said:

I think Utah will contend for the Big 12 title right away and probably win the conference as much as any team going forward.  TCU and Utah will be vying for it for a while.  The Utes will have a great chance to make the CFP.

I give the edge to the Utes over TCU... Utah knows how to play defense and has a pretty good offense.

It will be absolutely fascinating to watch how the Big-12 changes because they have been playing a style of football that really ignores defense and bringing in Utah and BYU will really change how the game is played because trying to force a shootout every game is going to be rough. Baylor has been causing problems the last couple years by playing defense.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't think that's a bad idea.  The remaining Pac12 and MWC combining to be a super-G5 type of conference would provide a much needed lifeline for OSU/WSU/etc.  That could result in a better media deal than what the MWC is currently getting and better than nothing for the Pac12 teams.  

Now here's the interesting part.  The Pac12 is still technically a power 5 conference...unless something with the CFP changes, the theoretical newly formed PAC/MWC could have a representative in the first expanded 12 team CFP field.  Could you imagine Jonathan Smith taking the Beavos into a surprise appearance in the playoff??  Given how competitive his team has become, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for him to go undefeated in the new conference and get in.

• Like 1

Statement from the Pac-12 Conference

PAC-12.COM

The Pac-12 Conference released the following statement on Aug. 4, 2023: Statement from the Pac-12 Conference "Today’s news is...

In answer to question of where the rest of the Pac is going, according to the statement from the conference late yesterday, they are going to help out by doing the following:

"We remain focused on securing the best possible future for each of our member universities."

The problem is I don't think the conference has what's needed to do any of this...$$$.

Remaining college football conference realignment questions

WWW.ESPN.COM

Following one of the most historic days in conference realignment, here are the biggest questions facing college football moving forward.

The Pac-12's anticipated 2023 season has lost all magic with impending realignment departures

The conference seems in position to possibly break a College Football Playoff drought that extends back to 2016. USC is back on the national radar with Lincoln Riley. It's going to be fun watching teams take their best shots at the Trojans on the way out of the door. And, again, Prime Time is in the conference now. 

Instead, the Pac-12 is on life support; only to be saved by some sort of potential merger with the Mountain West Conference and the remaining teams. Get ready for the Pac-Mountain Football.  The demise of the Pac-12 has led to a social media outcry of how bad this is for college football and the romanticizing of West Coast football as a whole. 

Outside of the hard-core “Pac-12 After Dark" junkies, however, the ugly truth is the Pac-12 wasn't generating enough interest on television or for its star players. Look at the numbers on Sports Media Watch from the 2022 season: 

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

Perhaps this last season of Pac-12 play will be glorious. Those quarterbacks are going to play well. But will the Tournament of Roses have a parade – or a procession? 

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

I know this is behind a paywall from Canzano.  Is he making amends for his remarks from his last article?  See below what I could gleam.

"Oregon left on Friday for the Big Ten. So did Washington. The Ducks and Huskies didn’t destroy the Pac-12. They didn’t blow up 108 years of history with one move. Get that out of your head today. Those things were the result of a decade-long failure of leadership within the conference. Oregon and Washington had a fiduciary duty to act in their best long-term interest."

What happens to Cal and Stanford? It has appeared to me for years that the administrations, students and alumni at both universities do not care about football. Maybe they drop the sport. While I would love for Oregon State and Washington State to join us in the B1G, that is not likely. I sure hope they both get into the BIG 12. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I am relieved Utah got a landing spot but I do not like what has happened to the PAC.  I am not a fan of the conferences being so big. When you play half or less than half of the other teams it just doesn't seem appealing.  After this coming season will Utah ever play any of the Oregon, Washington or California schools again?  Are any of them interested in playing the Utes again?  Who knows.

I have no problem with the Utes in the Big 12.  Before they joined the PAC the PAC and the Big 12 were the "power conferences" I rooted for. I am also looking forward to playing BYU yearly again and possibly having something at stake from the result.  I am also interested in playing the Big 12 teams, always have been.

I wish the last four PAC teams could find a comparable situation but at the same time don't want the newly expanded conferences to grow any more.  I think they are already unwieldy enough in their new configurations.

• Like 1

Savage...I think the Utes can do really well in the Big-12, and I too am very sorry with how this has transpired.  Fans like you have been fun on this board, and you are always welcome, regardless of conference.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/5/2023 at 5:25 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Savage...I think the Utes can do really well in the Big-12, and I too am very sorry with how this has transpired.  Fans like you have been fun on this board, and you are always welcome, regardless of conference.

Thank you.  I won't be going anywhere.  With all that has happened I think this season is going to be a bigger dog fight than ever.  Who doesn't want to be the final  "Pac 12 as we know it" champ and go into the new adventure with some momentum.  OSU, WSU and the others are going to be motivated to kick some booty almost every week just like most folks wanted to do to SoCal last year.  Lots to look forward too this year and in the future. Just hope the guys left behind find a desirable landing zone.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I were a betting man, I’d put money on the Utes making the playoff long before we do…

• Oh no! 1