JB89

Will Oregon Play USC, UCLA and UW Every Year?

• It seems unlikely that we will get to play all three every year. The scheduling model for the 2024-25 seasons only had 11 guaranteed yearly games. I have read that some Big 10 fans believe our game against Washington will be added to the yearly list but not games against USC and UCLA.  It will be interesting to see how often we play Michigan and Ohio State. UCLA was scheduled to play USC, Ohio State and Michigan in 24&25. 
    BIGTEN.ORG

2024 Season to Debut Flex Protect Plus Model with no Divisional Format; Nine Intraconference Game Tradition Continues as...

My take is conferences are uncompetitive way to schedule games. Pretty soon there will be divisions based on where you finish last year, or an average over a set amount of years. Your schedule will be set to create matchups the fans want to see on tv, who cares about tradition.

Actually I hope there are some traditional games, fans want to see these games, but at the top it will come down to what will people pay to see. This is why the product, longterm, Oregon puts on the field will be very valuable. Oregon has a wow factor, and Lanning is reviving this.

With capitalism ruling, if fans will pay to see Oregon play usc, the dawgs, or some other unique matchup that is what will happen. I could see a couple inter league lollipops thrown in, but the age of tradition is over. The conference of champions is dead.

I think we are still looking at college football in an old lens that will soon be gone. The conferences we see now will be just like the Pac-12, a thing of the past. The Pac-12 just led the way.

Yes. Every year. With SC and UCLA on the schedule more often than when they played in the Pac-12.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/6/2023 at 3:43 PM, JB89 said:
  • It seems unlikely that we will get to play all three every year. The scheduling model for the 2024-25 seasons only had 11 guaranteed yearly games. I have read that some Big 10 fans believe our game against Washington will be added to the yearly list but not games against USC and UCLA.  It will be interesting to see how often we play Michigan and Ohio State. UCLA was scheduled to play USC, Ohio State and Michigan in 24&25. 
    BIGTEN.ORG

2024 Season to Debut Flex Protect Plus Model with no Divisional Format; Nine Intraconference Game Tradition Continues as...

This scheduling format is no longer, like the Pac-12, relevant.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fuskies will almost certainly be our protected game in this format.  I agree it's unlikely that we play USC/UCLA every year, I'm guessing every other year.  So basically we have two west coast conference games, probably split home/away.

That leaves seven conference games so we'll travel for 3-4 of those.  Good background from the Rutgers poster about the B1G protecting UM/tOSU, we may have to wait a while before the big dogs come to Autzen.  I'm hoping we get that make-up game against tOSU, but most likely we're going to see the likes of Purdue/Indiana/Illinois/Northwestern for a while.  I'm betting that we have mostly one-offs from the top-tier of the B1G in their house.

Ok none of this should be a big surprise (this is what we signed up for), but IMHO it's imperative that we play our non-conference games (other than every other year with the Beavs) at home.  Screw playing Georgia in Atlanta or LSU in Jerry World, we no longer need that signature non-conference win.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This was posted by Charles.  A ten game schedule would change things.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/6/2023 at 1:19 PM, NJDuck said:

This was posted by Charles.  A ten game schedule would change things.

Yes that would certainly change the equation, but it seems to me that divisions are gone for good regardless of how the geography works.

• Thumbs Up 1

I certainly have no knowledge or understanding of the BIG's scheduling plan.

That universe centers around tOSU, UM and PSU. They are the true powers in that world. All 4 new schools will need to perform at a high level and earn respect with victories.

Having those 4 schools play each other annually leaves 6 more conference games to be scheduled. Three trips east at the max for the 4 west coast newbies. Three east schools head west.

That would be per team.

However, we have not been privy to how our new big partners feel about their end of the travel schedule.

Some one will figure it out, create the schedule and try to make it as equitable as possible.

We just have to, as fans, turn on our viewing devices and enjoy this new journey.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/6/2023 at 1:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

This scheduling format is no longer, like the Pac-12, relevant.

I realize these specific schedules for 24 & 25 are no longer relevant since Oregon and Washington have joined the league. This schedule was created within the last 12 months, thus I thought the basic concepts used to create the schedule may continue with the addition of Oregon and Washington. The basic concepts being, limited guaranteed yearly matchups and creating a 2 year schedule with some home and away games against specific teams for the 24 & 25 seasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the BIG was planning on one permanent rival with the rest being somewhat random. With SUC whining so hard about playing the Ducks every year, I wouldn't be surprised if they also made that happen just for ratings alone!

On 8/6/2023 at 5:06 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think the BIG was planning on one permanent rival with the rest being somewhat random. With SUC whining so hard about playing the Ducks every year, I wouldn't be surprised if they also made that happen just for ratings alone!

I'm pretty certain that the West Coast teams will meet every year to cut down on travel going in both directions. East Coast teams have no more desire to play out West than have USC, UCLA, Oregon, and UW to play at Maryland and Rutgers. I'm reasonably certain that the B1G will move to 10 conference games so each school will have 5 home and away conference games. 

I'd like to see Nebraska, the western-most B1G school as of today, in a five-team permanent rotation so each team in the western rotation would have 2 away and home games every year. 4 games in the west would mean limited travel to the Eastern time zone and also limited travel to the Central time zone, sans playing at Nebraska every other year. Under the current 9 conference game schedule, Oregon would only have to trip East beyond Nebraska 2 or 3 times a year. Besides getting them at a discount, limiting travel for all sports including football was a reason to add Oregon and UW.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 of the 4 west coast schools will finish in the top 7 or 8 most years. It's  a good bet one of the three will finish top three most years. 

Ducks need to be that team. Finish 2nd, some years 3rd, and you are in a playoff for the NC.

B1G  schedules by performance and we get tOSU, Mich or PSU every year. Love it.

I want the Ducks to play the best. Iron sharpens Iron. I think its a requirement to become Champion. UGA had to go through Bama 

Friday was  a turning point for the Ducks. Compleate game changer for UofO. Recruiting is going to ratchet up. 

I think of the four west teams, Fusky and UCLA the the most likely to join Nebraska in the "also ran" category. 

Ducks golden ticket will be capitolized on by UO leadership. That leaves USC, tOSU, Mich, PSU and MSU. Bring it on! 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All depends on how much the powers in the B1G value reducing travel costs for the west coast members. 

And... If they value those rivalries. 

You can't conjure rivalries out of thin air. Utah and Colorado being a great example of trying to force a rivalry ... It never worked. 

If the media companies want to have some good ratings they'd want to keep the west coast teams playing each other. You can't manufacture the kind of hate between Oregon and USC that we have for each other. 

Sure we'd love a shot to take out Ohio State ... But we don't have the hatred for them like we do for USC. You want a bonkers atmosphere in Autzen and the ratings to match... You lean into the Oregon v LA schools rivalry. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/6/2023 at 2:41 PM, David Marsh said:

All depends on how much the powers in the B1G value reducing travel costs for the west coast members. 

And... If they value those rivalries. 

You can't conjure rivalries out of thin air. Utah and Colorado being a great example of trying to force a rivalry ... It never worked. 

If the media companies want to have some good ratings they'd want to keep the west coast teams playing each other. You can't manufacture the kind of hate between Oregon and USC that we have for each other. 

Sure we'd love a shot to take out Ohio State ... But we don't have the hatred for them like we do for USC. You want a bonkers atmosphere in Autzen and the ratings to match... You lean into the Oregon v LA schools rivalry. 

Would love getting USC every year. Trojan tried to black list Oregon. Tried to kill Oregons ability to compeat at the highest level.

USC hatred makes Fusky hatred look like a play date. In November, Ducks the to break the Trojan.

The standard needs to set. USC needs to know what is coming year after yaer after year. 

USC played dirty. The games are going to be violent. I have deep anger ove the shenanigans trojan pulled. The B1G knows it. 

Rocky v. Creed. 

I think the major players would prefer the west coast teams to continue to beat up each other.

Having UW, USC and UCLA every year would help increase odds of a loss before playing the other B1G teams.

Remember, all decisions are what's best for tOSU and UM.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

FWIW here's a pre UO/WA B1G 2024-25 schedule. 

BIGTEN.ORG

2024 Season to Debut Flex Protect Plus Model with no Divisional Format; Nine Intraconference Game Tradition Continues as UCLA and USC Join the Matchups

Yes, they will play every year.  The main thing FOX and B1G see in adding the west coast schools are 7pm+ start times.  USC/UCLA should count their blessings that Oregon and Washington have joined.  Otherwise they were staring down almost every single home game starting after 7pm, although there will be a lot of pushback from east coast fan bases having to stay up until 10pm before their beloved team kicks off on the west coast.  That's a looooong time to maintain gameday energy - LOL.

In turn, this will increase the number of 7pm+ and 9am (Pacific) start times for Oregon, Washington, USC, and UCLA.  In addition to the travel, the game start times will have sharp contrasts.  Playing each other every year helps reduce that and gives more opportunity for afternoon football games.  I'm sure this is all part of the revenue sharing negotiations to help reduce travel costs.

Another pro to this is that east coast will HAVE to pay more attention now to late games out west directly impacting east coast teams.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

There is no reason to have so many games at 7:00pm Pacific. The B1G loves to start games at 9:00am Pacific. Scheduling games at 12:00 and 3:00 should be just fine. That's a 6:00pm start Eastern or even a 4:00- 5:00 Pacific would be EPIC timing for must see T.V.

4:00PST/7:00EST. Whats not to like? Make that permanent for the Home games for the POD.  All day tailgating with a reasonable kickoff and everyone is home by 10:00. Waaaaaaaaay better than those garbage 7:00 Pacific start times and everyone is home around 1:00am. Yuck!!!

Edited by 1Funduck
  • Thumbs Up 3

WWW.LATIMES.COM

UCLA football coach Chip Kelly suggested completely reorganizing college football into a system that more closely mirrors...

I like this quote from Chip in the article. I hope this stays the same now that Oregon and Washington are in the conference. Previously, I was concerned about the possibility of a noon eastern start time, 9 am pacific. Over the years I've watched several non conference games that had a 9 or 10 am west coast start time and the west coast team did not seem to wake up until the 2nd half of the game.

“When we go to play an East Coast team in the Big Ten a year from now, they’ve told us we won’t play any games before 12:30 p.m. our time, so that would be a 3:30 kick for them, so we’ll stay on our same time schedule because we would leave on Friday, play a game — which would be noon for us, 3 for them — on Saturday and then get on a plane and come back, so it doesn’t affect you from that standpoint because you’re only there for a short time, so you really try to stay on the same schedule that you’ve been on for the whole time.”

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/6/2023 at 5:38 PM, JB89 said:

“When we go to play an East Coast team in the Big Ten a year from now, they’ve told us we won’t play any games before 12:30 p.m. our time, so that would be a 3:30 kick for them, so we’ll stay on our same time schedule because we would leave on Friday, play a game — which would be noon for us, 3 for them — on Saturday and then get on a plane and come back, so it doesn’t affect you from that standpoint because you’re only there for a short time, so you really try to stay on the same schedule that you’ve been on for the whole time.”

Thank you.  That would make a lot more sense to target those 12:30pm and 4pm (Pacific) timeslots.  I guess it's going to hurt the teams flying back east even worse.  West coast teams could be home by midnight or 1am that night.  Teams flying back home to the east will get home at 4am-5am or require 3 full travel days.

East coast traveling here could play the 12:30pst/3:30est slot and not affect them. Even a 2:-3:00pst would equate to 6:00est at the latest. Shouldn't affect player participation in the slightest. 

East coast fans will enjoy the backyard BBQ's in the late afternoon early evening as well. I do not see the down side anywhere. All I see is positives for all involved. Also, schedule the POD play in November. Thats a bit of wishful thinking on my part though.

The B1G TEN added USC/UCLA originally to have the 9 PM EST time slot.  The whole idea was to have a B1G TEN team playing from Noon to midnight EST.  I expect a ton of late games for UO, UW, USC and UCLA.

• Thumbs Up 2

Upon further review, my call may not stand. Fox is paying mucho dinero for the LA schools and football is the one sport with the fewest travel concerns.

At the very least I see Oregon playing one of the LA schools every year and playing UW in the last game of the regular season.

But: What In The Heck Do I Know?

On 8/6/2023 at 4:17 PM, noDucknewby said:

Fuskies will almost certainly be our protected game in this format.  I agree it's unlikely that we play USC/UCLA every year, I'm guessing every other year.  So basically we have two west coast conference games, probably split home/away.

That leaves seven conference games so we'll travel for 3-4 of those.  Good background from the Rutgers poster about the B1G protecting UM/tOSU, we may have to wait a while before the big dogs come to Autzen.  I'm hoping we get that make-up game against tOSU, but most likely we're going to see the likes of Purdue/Indiana/Illinois/Northwestern for a while.  I'm betting that we have mostly one-offs from the top-tier of the B1G in their house.

Ok none of this should be a big surprise (this is what we signed up for), but IMHO it's imperative that we play our non-conference games (other than every other year with the Beavs) at home.  Screw playing Georgia in Atlanta or LSU in Jerry World, we no longer need that signature non-conference win.

1 LA school a year and the final regular season game versus UW could very well happen. 

In CBB and the non-revenue sports, I think Oregon will see a double dose, or more, of the LA schools and UW.

Scott Dochterman covers the B1G for The Athletic (paywall.)

Below are Scott's predictions for the 2024 Oregon and UW schedules.

OREGON - Home - Washington, UCLA, OHIO STATE (YES!), Maryland (The Helmet Clash?), Minnesota

Away - USC, Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska  - 1 East Coast trip and 2 Central time zone trips, not bad at all. 

WASHINGTON - Home - USC, Iowa, Purdue, Penn State (a B1G biggie.)

Away - UCLA, OREGON, Maryland, Michigan State (back-to-back?), Wisconsin. 2 Eastern time zone trios; 1 Central time zone trip.

Scott came close to nailing the B1G (16) permanent-flex schedule. Would be nice to have 5 conference games at home in 2024 with only 1 traditional B1G biggie, Ohio State on the schedule and coming to Autzen. If Scott's projection is correct, I like Oregon's 2024 schedule more than UW's schedule.

Scott does believe that the West Coast teams will play one another every year.

Scheduling.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/7/2023 at 9:54 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Scheduling.jpg

3 games in the Easter Time Zone isn't too bad, but not great.

Edited by Annie

On 8/7/2023 at 10:14 AM, Annie said:

3 games in the Easter Time Zone isn't too bad, but not great.

That means those are EARLY games in the day, no Jammies needed in the middle of a 7:00 PM telecast.  Great for fans watching TV...

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

With our addition bring the number to eighteen, I think they're going to need a minute to figure things out. They were planning on doing away with divisions but may need to go back to  that plan now. To be continued.....

Bring in Cal & 'Furd, and with 20 teams we can have two divisions of 10 each.  Play the other nine and three non-conference, a conference championship...and we're good!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/7/2023 at 10:52 AM, Charles Fischer said:

That means those are EARLY games in the day, no Jammies needed in the middle of a 7:00 PM telecast.  Great for fans watching TV...

Oh, yes, great for fans watching TV, I totally agree! I was thinking about the travel time for the team. Of course, the players are much younger than I, so handling "jet lag" might be much easier for them. 🙂  

The football team is one of the few sports that rarely has to miss many classes, because in the PAC they could leave on a Friday afternoon for away games, but will have to leave early Friday mornings for games on the East Coast, if not on Thursdays. Other sports usually play over a period of two or more days, so the members of those teams can end up miss a lot of school.