Charles Fischer

Do You Like Oregon Being the Underdog?

This is a bit much, and I hope it lights a fire under the team!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

If the opponent underestimates the underdog, I think it can be a good thing.

Ignorance is bliss . . . for us!

I like it!  Move UCLA to #5 and drop us to #6.  A little extra motivation can't hurt!  😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's play those games! I am so ready...

On 8/28/2023 at 4:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is a bit much, and I hope it lights a fire under the team!

COME ON MAN! Big Game Boomer? The SOONER I can find this guy and get a bet down, the SOONER I win.

Thank goodness for social media, right? You too can be an 'expert. This guy probably had Germany in WW2.

Edited by Jon Joseph

You can call the Ducks a long shot, maybe a dark horse, but never call them an underdog, never!

I do like being underestimated, and being a long shot, love it, always have.

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Outsider analysts are almost always drawn to the fresh face just because they have no stake in the race. But, this guy does sound like the sort who never fails to put all his $$ on the 85 to 1 horse in the Derby, as well as making a mid major his march madness bracket fav.

Edited by Washington Waddler
word

I'm good with being the underDUCK. Let everyone underestimate us and write us off. The narrative we get to build about ourselves going through the season is amazing. 

The motivation is creates is fantastic. 

I think USC right now is drinking too much of their hype koolaid. They didn't look all that focused last weekend. 

Let's see our Ducks walk out onto the field and destroy opponents and show them what Oregon is all about. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well now that Boomer has made the picks, no point in playing the games I guess.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2023 at 7:55 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm good with being the underDUCK. Let everyone underestimate us and write us off. The narrative we get to build about ourselves going through the season is amazing. 

The motivation is creates is fantastic. 

I think USC right now is drinking too much of their hype koolaid. They didn't look all that focused last weekend. 

Let's see our Ducks walk out onto the field and destroy opponents and show them what Oregon is all about. 

SC had holes to fill against SJS. Yet, that O is incredible, and the D if even marginal could get Troy to the playoff. And the SC D off of game 1 will improve as the season progresses.

This is an O that will not be shut down. To beat these guys you will have to outscore these guys. I am echoing Charles here. Utah at home in 2022 won a game by 1 point against SC with a healthy vet QB on the field. Then, coming off a game vs. the worst P5 team in CFB in 2022, CU, Utah beat up SC coming off of a game vs. Notre Dame, a bowl winner vs. a hot SO CAR team, and dinged Williams the same way Rising was dinged in the Rose Bowl. 

This SC team is scary good on O and has a whole bunch of nothing schedule-wise before playing in South Bend and then Utah. Then after Cal. back to back against UW and the Ducks in Eugene. 

No matter how much the Oregon D improves the game in Autzen promises to be a down-to-the-wire shoot-out.

How great would it be to have Game Day in Eugene with both teams undefeated? Oregon TCBs in Lubbock and this is a real possibility.  

On 8/28/2023 at 6:50 PM, Jon Joseph said:

No matter how much the Oregon D improves the game in Autzen promises to be a down-to-the-wire shoot-out.

But if Oregon's d can get one or two more stops than USC'S then that's how the game breaks for the Ducks. 

No one is going to stop them from scoring... But that defense doesn't look like it's going to stop a top 10 offense which is hopefully around where the Ducks will be. 

Oregon doesn't need to shut them out... Just get a couple more stops. And I think that's likely to happen.

I always loved it when my Dawgs were underdogs. Kirby apparently does as well, as anything in the media that can be construed as somehow disrespectful very quickly becomes bulletin board material.

In the old days, Georgia was freqently tabbed as underdog. Not so much these days.

As for the SC offense, yeah it looked sharp against SJS early and might well score 40 on UGA. However, I suspect that UGA might score 70 on the Trojan defense.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/29/2023 at 1:25 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

I always loved it when my Dawgs were underdogs. Kirby apparently does as well, as anything in the media that can be construed as somehow disrespectful very quickly becomes bulletin board material.

In the old days, Georgia was freqently tabbed as underdog. Not so much these days.

As for the SC offense, yeah it looked sharp against SJS early and might well score 40 on UGA. However, I suspect that UGA might score 70 on the Trojan defense.

Absolutely, I love when the Dawgs are underdogs or in anyway seemingly disrespected or disregarded.  There are several games in the Kirby tenure where I believe this played a part!

To the main topic, I also love the Ducks being disrespected here.  Especially with Oregon State and Washington being 1 and 2.  Telling the Ducks they aren’t even the best team in the State!  That should light a fire!  Go Ducks!!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/28/2023 at 10:25 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

All coaches love being the underdog, gives you the perfect opportunity to do all the "world is against us". "Nobody believe in us" motivational stuff.

Most people love that as well, just is natural.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, the Beavers are dangerous and they are well-coached.  And with this Pac-12 shakeup (demise?) they're certainly motivated to try and win this last season of Pac-12 football.  But then, so is Oregon.  And the game this year is in Autzen.  I think it will come down to which team is healthiest and carrying the momentum into the game.  But a Pac-12 title for the Beavs?  Naw - that's a bridge probably too far.

I don't mind being underestimated or overlooked to start the season.  However, that can be a domino effect when it comes to voting for the CFP.  Winning usually cures all, but if you are comparing 2 teams with similar records and SOS and one team started ranked higher than the other, it could turn out bad for the Ducks. 

I would have ranked the Ducks ahead of Utah and UW, but I'm OK with being where we are now.  I think it helps the players play looser as well.

I could see the Beavis as P12 champs. Look at their schedule. It lines up perfect for a 10-0 run before getting UW at Reeser then down to Autzen for the last CW in history. They don't play USC this year. 

A top 10 matchup for the CW? Not sure as the Ducks have a tougher road schedule and play USC, although at home.

UT, USC, UO, OrSt all with 10-2, 11-1 records? Pass the Prilosec. 

• Applause 1

On 8/29/2023 at 11:27 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

I could see the Beavis as P12 champs. Look at their schedule. It lines up perfect for a 10-0 run before getting UW at Reeser then down to Autzen for the last CW in history. They don't play USC this year. 

A top 10 matchup for the CW? Not sure as the Ducks have a tougher road schedule and play USC, although at home.

UT, USC, UO, OrSt all with 10-2, 11-1 records? Pass the Prilosec. 

Great take. 

CBS Sports, latest odds to win the 2023 Pac-12 Football Championship - USC +180/ OREGON +325/ UW +350/ Utah +500/ OREGON STATE +900/ UCLA +1200. The books like Oregon's chances far more than the media. With the uncertainty regarding Rising's health, Utah's odds have dropped. 

OR ST on paper has a very easy OOC schedule. Right down there with Michigan, Georgia, and UCLA. In fairness, the SEC canceled UGA's trip to OK. And Michigan canceled out an H+H with UCLA. 

Sneaky tough road trips for the Beavers playing at Wazzu and at U of A, and of course, at 15 Oregon. Tough home games vs. 14. Utah, 10. UW ( kick FGs in Seattle last season and OR ST and not Utah plays in the champ game,) and UCLA will not be an easy out in Corvallis. But only 3 games vs. ranked opponents is lightweight for this season's Pac-12.  

109th in passing in 2022. Is DJU the answer or, a continuing question mark? Even a half-decent passing attack will help open up an already sound run game. 

I think Oregon's SOS in 2023 is ranked far too low. Fan Nation based on 2022 results ranks Oregon #96 (75-77.) OR ST is ranked #63 (80-70.) 

Oregon plays AP Poll #6 USC and #18 Oregon State at home. Plays at #10 UW, #14 Utah, and #26 Texas Tech.

Oregon is the dog for the game at Utah, +1.5. Favored in the other 4 games vs. ranked teams: at Texas Tech -3; at UW -12.5; USC -4.5, and Oregon State -3. 

And Oregon is favored in all of the other 8 games. So in 2023, the Ducks are not being dogged, except in Salt Lake City. 

image.thumb.gif.fc618c44664456f016916f2e05f35490.gif 

Up until now, it always angered me. We typically had to play a perfect season to climb past the teams that were gifted with, say top five rankings at the beginning of the season. Now, with a 12 team playoff coming, I think I kind of like it. As others have said here, hopefully it will motivate the team and raise more eyebrows.

• Applause 1

Only when they deserve it.  When under-rated due to media bias, we all hate it even though it 'could' be thought to offer incentive to the team to play harder.  Which I tend to doubt in most cases - the 'Civil War' excepted. 

Say, Charles. Am I allowed to use the phrase "Civil War" on this forum?  Or has that become verboten per University policy?

On 8/29/2023 at 7:09 PM, Mic said:

Only when they deserve it.  When under-rated due to media bias, we all hate it even though it 'could' be thought to offer incentive to the team to play harder.  Which I tend to doubt in most cases - the 'Civil War' excepted. 

Say, Charles. Am I allowed to use the phrase "Civil War" on this forum?  Or has that become verboten per University policy?

As long as you use it in a civil manner, I think it's OK.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/29/2023 at 4:09 PM, Mic said:

I am sick of the whole discussion.  What I've noticed is that most of us just carry on and call it the Civil War game, and I am not going to stop it.  (Since I use it!)  For the vast majority of Oregon AND Oregon State fans...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck