Charles Fischer

Dan Lanning is SERIOUS About Michigan State?

Charles-

Bait isn't always bad. And I know you weren't passing this news off as truth; just a topic of conversation.

But I stand by my statement that DL isn't going to leave us to be a Spartan.

Can't wait for the CO game. Yes, I'm looking by HI...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/14/2023 at 5:57 PM, bbmichaels said:

I dare you all to not post further on this thread and to focus on the football.

I double-dog dare!  

On 9/11/2023 at 10:15 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I think it almost incomprehensible That DL would want to move after two years. What do we know, if anything, about the family's adaptation and sentiments about Eugene and the Pacific northwest? The only thing that would give me pause is if there was information that the wife and/or kids were not crazy about the environment--rain really gets some people down, for example.

When I left junior college in the Santa Cruz area (beach town and surf mecca), I transferred to a really rainy climate in Arcata, California enrolling at Humboldt State. Humboldt was grey, rainy much of the time, and my private theme song that first semester was the Animals hit "We gotta get outta this place." But I adapted and hopefully the Lannings have too. 

If Dan Lanning and his family were unhappy in Eugene, I doubt that he would have just signed a contract extension with a $20M buy-out. That’ll limit his exit options. 

• Great post! 1

On 9/12/2023 at 9:30 AM, Augduck said:

Those darn Colorado fans.  Then again maybe it's Deion doing it.

Now…IT’S PERSONAL!!!

Edited by OregonDucks

Don't think Dan is going any where.  Especially not to MSU.  That is one nasty mess.  

• Thumbs Up 1

If Tuck gets trucked and it looks like things are headed toward the guy being self-inflicted pan-caked, I think the obvious choice would be to bring back Pitt HC and former MSU DC, Pat Narduzzi.

Then, perhaps Narduzzi will shut up about poaching, NIL, and the transfer portal. 

Danno, no. But Oregon State's J Smith is in the mix for the Michigan State job and would IMO, be a terrific hire.

Will the allure of the P4 trump 'staying home' in Corvallis?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Brian Hartline and Jim Leonhard, among others, also make intriguing candidates for the Spartans

• Wow 1

On 9/19/2023 at 9:55 AM, cartm25 said:

Have mercy!!

I cannot think of a more terrifying thought (for Oregon's success), than Deion Sanders at USC.

I don't know...the irony of USC embracing the "Oregon Way" would be worth a ton of laughs...

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/19/2023 at 9:34 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Will the allure of the P4 trump 'staying home' in Corvallis?

No, but $90 Mil would.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:34 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Oregon State's J Smith is in the mix for the Michigan State

He goes there and takes his staff with him!? Mark my words, within a few season the civil war game (or whatever they call it up there) becomes nationally relevant. 😲

On 9/12/2023 at 12:03 AM, fred flintstone said:

Smith at Oregon St would make a lot of sense. After building a power at Or St he will be playing in the mw. He also deserves the kind of $$$$ or st cannot afford. 

Man,

I hope Oregon State can keep Smith.  He is perfect for the Beavers!  They would instantly become the Gonzaga of the G5, and they would probably go to the playoffs consistently.

I would hope that would be enough to fund Oregon State for a long time.  

• Applause 1

I smell husky poop straight outa Compton. 

On 9/19/2023 at 4:57 PM, Mike West said:

Man,

I hope Oregon State can keep Smith.  He is perfect for the Beavers!  They would instantly become the Gonzaga of the G5, and they would probably go to the playoffs consistently.

I would hope that would be enough to fund Oregon State for a long time.  

Smith is a legit coach. He has the Beavs in position to be a serious contender for the Pac title and a playoff appearance. 

With everyones focus on USC, Fusky and the Ducks as the probables, Smith and the Beavs are a true dark horse to spoil the party.

My hope is Beavs play their way into the power 4. I don't know that they can afford Smith without power 4 revenue. 

Smith is at 4.8 mil on first year of a 6 yr 30 mil contract. Mtn west teams are guaranteed 4 mil per team in media revenues. 

I think its dirty whats happening to OSU and WSU. Will they get a golden parachute? I don't think they do.

But I think Smith stays mum until after the season. He won't do his Beavs dirty like that. He is tied in to deep with OSU. He will wait till the last minute.

So I don't think MSU gets JS. Timing is off and that buys OSU time to work some magic. I too would love to see JS in Corvallis for a long time. 

On 9/19/2023 at 6:33 PM, Log Haulin said:

My hope is Beavs play their way into the power 4.

One of the most terrifying aspects of the Beavs this year is that not only are they legit built for this moment, they are playing for their Power Conference lives. They may be the scariest team in the PAC simply because they have the most to lose. In fact, I'd bet that if they go 5-0 or so, they would become the new national story replacing the Buffs after their loses begin to mount.

The B12 really should figure out a a way to bring in both OSU and WSU. The best way for the B12 to compete with the BIG and SEC, is to have as many legit programs as possible in it.

• Great post! 1

On 9/19/2023 at 9:33 PM, Log Haulin said:

Smith is a legit coach. He has the Beavs in position to be a serious contender for the Pac title and a playoff appearance. 

With everyones focus on USC, Fusky and the Ducks as the probables, Smith and the Beavs are a true dark horse to spoil the party.

My hope is Beavs play their way into the power 4. I don't know that they can afford Smith without power 4 revenue. 

Smith is at 4.8 mil on first year of a 6 yr 30 mil contract. Mtn west teams are guaranteed 4 mil per team in media revenues. 

I think its dirty whats happening to OSU and WSU. Will they get a golden parachute? I don't think they do.

But I think Smith stays mum until after the season. He won't do his Beavs dirty like that. He is tied in to deep with OSU. He will wait till the last minute.

So I don't think MSU gets JS. Timing is off and that buys OSU time to work some magic. I too would love to see JS in Corvallis for a long time. 

Based on recent results the 2 have arguably played their way into the B1G, WSU has defeated Wisconsin 2 years in a row, a conference that after the B1G 3 and before the Pac-4 arrive is not all that.  

But no AAU membership is a B1G kiss of death. Likely the same for the ACC. And Fox/ESPN does not seem interested in opening the wallet to add two teams from small towns in the NW.

WSU and OSU should go to the Mountain West. (Rebrand the MW the Pac-Something if you so desire but it will still be a G5 conference.) Run the field for the 2024 playoff using the latest AP rankings and even with only 5 conference champs in automatically and 7 at-large teams, MW champ OR ST would be the 12-seed opening at 5-seed SEC Texas. B12 Utah would be the 4th seed with a 1st round bye. 

When aligning with the MW in some fashion, OSU and WSU need to negotiate a bigger cut of media revenue, like Boise, and a bigger slice of post-season pie income.