Charles Fischer

Do You Share My Fine-Feathered-FishDuck-Fantasy?

I keep reading how it is impossible for a team to go undefeated in Pac-12 play considering it has not been done--and this year is the toughest the conference has ever been.

Yet, aren't we built (referring to David's article today) different than prior Oregon teams, and the rest of the conference?  This defense compares to our 2019 defense, but this 2023 offense is miles ahead of that one.  Utah has a great defense this year, but Oregon has an offense that can still beat it.

Is it a fantasy to think we can go undefeated?

Yes, I know how tough the schedule is, there could be injuries, the ball doesn't bounce our way, etc. But this year lines up better than anytime in the past I can think of...right?

How cool would it be to do that in the last year of the conference?  Whew!

Oregon Poster_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Let’s hope! 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

UW is THE game. The toughest out for OBD I think. Win in Seattle, and I have complete confidence the rest of the games are winnable (barring the mentioned potential injuries and bad bounces). UW is certainly winnable, but really feels like almost a 50/50 toss-up. If the team that beat up CU shows up, look out Dawgs!!

• Thumbs Up 2

If Oregon, or any other Pac-12 team, goes 13-0 this season, it will be a magnificent accomplishment. 

The back end of the schedule is brutal for OREGON, UW, USC, Washington State, and Utah. Oregon State and UCLA play one another, but compared to other Pac-12 teams both teams have an easier remaining schedule.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I definitely feel our Ducks have a great chance to run the table this year.

UW appears to be the largest obstacle. But, I feel good about that game.

Utah in SLC is usually more daunting than it feels this year. USC is way over-hyped.

Then there are those pesky Beavers... But, their offense won't keep up.

Bo stays healthy and plays freely... sky is the limit.

• Great post! 1

They say September can fool a lot of people

We are definitely going to find out who we really are when we play 4 quarters in Seattle this year.

In addition, probabilities are a funny thing. Even if you are heavily favored in every game, if you play enough games you will eventually lose. 13 is a pretty large number. I don't think we can run the table.

The only team I'm scared to lose to is WSU. They miss USC and Utah, and can easily steal a spot in the PAC12 Championship, especially if they have a tie-breaker over us.

Edited by Solar
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bring our A game every game and it is doable. No more first qts like the last one.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 11:32 AM, SilverDuck said:

UW is THE game. The toughest out for OBD I think. Win in Seattle, and I have complete confidence the rest of the games are winnable (barring the mentioned potential injuries and bad bounces). UW is certainly winnable, but really feels like almost a 50/50 toss-up. If the team that beat up CU shows up, look out Dawgs!!

Doubt has killed more dreams than failure.  Ducks by 14!

• Let’s hope! 1

Fantasy versus reality?

What turns a wish, a fantasy or a dream into reality?

Many motivational speakers and writers of the last century preached about Positive Mental Attitude, believe and you can achieve or if you can percieve it then you can achieve it.

Do the Duck players and coaches believe they can go undeafeated?

I am certain they do believe......

Are they willing to put in the work to improve and beat 1 nameless faceless opponent week in and week out?

It appears they are willing to work hard and we are about to find out very soon.

Now if the coaching staff has the team mentally prepared now we move to the intangibles.

IMHO, just as Georgia had a talent advantage over their opponents in 2021 and 2022 (multiple first rounders) the 2023 Ducks have a talent advantage of their PAC opponents. This cant be understated!

Coach Lanning has first hand, real time experience working for Coach Smart thru a championship season. Experiencing how Coach Smart kept his ultra talented team focused, motivated and on track....

Not 1 Duck opponent has a starting QB with as much starting experience as Bo. Penix and Williams are potential #1 picks and they can beat you. However they have not faced a top 10 defense like OBD's.

The Ducks are 2 deep with talent on both sides of the ball, except at QB. Bo is exceptional and must be healthy for all 15 games to the title. None of the Duck opponents will be 2 deep on both sides of the ball.

Also, as David mentioned, the Ducks have a balanced offense that can beat you with the run or pass. Have any PAC teams faced a 2 dimensional offense? Hec what other team in the PAC is 2 dimensional on offense??????

So now it boils down to 1 game at a time and execution in all 3 phases of the game.

As the Ducks navigate the season the trap games are just as dangerous as any of the PAC high scoring machines. That trip to the desert scares me the most....

Rarely, in life do we get a chance to turn our wildest dreams or fantasies into reality. Afterall, there will be only one National champ for the 2023 season 

No reason the Oregon Ducks cant be that team.......

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:21 PM, DUCati855 said:

I definitely feel our Ducks have a great chance to run the table this year.

UW appears to be the largest obstacle. But, I feel good about that game.

Utah in SLC is usually more daunting than it feels this year. USC is way over-hyped.

Then there are those pesky Beavers... But, their offense won't keep up.

Bo stays healthy and plays freely... sky is the limit.

Don't sleep on WSU. Depending on how the UW game goes, WSU could be a trap game between UW and Utah.

• Great post! 2

On 10/3/2023 at 12:51 PM, Just Ducky said:

No more first qts like the last one.

Yes, but the bright side is the adjustments that were made after furds second drive.  That excites me.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 2:47 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Don't sleep on WSU. Depending on how the UW game goes, WSU could be a trap game between UW and Utah.

Agreed... and I totally overlooked that game. Guess I should look at the schedule once in awhile. Duh...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 2:24 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Coach Lanning has first hand, real time experience working for Coach Smart thru a championship season.

And the experience of making mistakes last year as a first year head coach, that he hopefully has learned from.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're a fan, short for fanatic, you have to believe. We have the easy job. It isn't a fantasy, just what fanatics do!

Now if you're a college player with coeds running around, homework, tests, family far away, and now NIL money, winning all the games is bit harder.

Oh to be a college student again!

i5wv0UCtEo5jjLviVgT5tNj7XFkxsbx4F6c7EF2dluc.jpg.webp

• Haha 1
  • Like 2

In any year, any team running the table, is an amazing accomplishment. 

For some years, some teams, its more amazing than others.

There is so much that can happen.

Injuries. Emotional letdown. Very poor reffing. A couple of mistakes by individual players at critical moments. Bad bounces. (Not to mention occasional bad calls by coaches).

To win a championship, you basically need to beat 'bout everyone.

So, running the Pac12 is necessary. 

That said, we can afford maybe 1 loss.

"If" we lose to UW (please, heaven forbid) we need to win out, and play UW again in Pac12 championship and win!

But, a big but, Charles and David said it, the Ducks are built differently. This is the year for us.

Without Bo, and the senior starters on the D, next year will not be as promising. 

Good, yes.

But I don't think championship level quite.

So, what better year to do what hasn't been done. Win out in the Pac.

Last year.

Pac12 champions, like first year.

Go undefeated. 

Beat little brother. 

Beat our northern sister.

Show those LA teams where they can expect to be yearly.

This has to be the year of the Duck!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/3/2023 at 4:52 PM, DanLduck said:

Without Bo, and the senior starters on the D, next year will not be as promising. 

This one I have heard a few times lately,  I have to disagree wholeheartedly.

Many said this after losing most of last years O line. But this years O line is darn close. A couple sacks but this is a top 10 offense. That doesn't usually happen without an elite line.

I remember the uproar when Bo tranfered to Oregon. A ton of people thought he was a bust and didn't want him. Play Ty they would say. A minority of us loved the Nix pick up.

I will say this, Don't be surprised if TT balls out next year and silences his critics. I for one, think he is going to be a Dude. I have seen enough this year to believe this.

Also echoed on the forum "we can't replace Gonzalez, secondary is going to be a weak link", or something to that effect. Christian who?

I have a point to this. We are in the Lanning era, the portal era and the NIL era. The Idea of there being rebuild years is old thinking. 

In less than 18 months, Lanning has reloaded this team to being top 10 in Offense and Defense. 18 months!! That is not rebuild... that is lock and load!!

It appears what happend last off season has been quickly forgotten. While everyone was focused on realignment, Lanning was loading Oregon with absolute Dogs.

Lanning will reload year after year. He will bring in high-school recruits at an elite level and develop and play them. He will use the tranfer portal to fill gaps and Oregon will become a true Blue Blood.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I agree, the Washington game is, "THE GAME." Bo can struggle on the road and the ewwwww-dubs worry me. Their offense is for real but I believe in our Ducks team. They are dialed in. I am excited to see where this season goes. Our defense is light years ahead of where I thought it would be. If there is a Pac-12 team that can do it Oregon looks the best.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My guess is Ty will be again battling another guy out of the portal. And Ty's backup was a very good recruit as are other QBs coming in. But replacing the guy with the most starts in CFB will not be easy.  

There will be a lot of quality players including QBs to recruit out of the portal in 2024. Last season DL was a master portal picker and with Division Street in the mix, Oregon will have a shot at a lot of experienced players.

As we see from Clemson, you must be a good HS recruiter and a portal recruiter in today's game.

And of course, Oregon will lose some quality guys to the portal. Just the name of today's game.

The Ducks have and will have Blue Chip rosters. But to be considered as a Blue Blood you have to win championships. Oregon has been oh so close. Now DL, take the Ducks over the hurdle. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, I forgot... I do share your fantasy Charles. I had them picked at 11-1 in the season prediction. But you Charles, had Ducks predicted at 12-0. Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 2

Barring injury The Ducks slice Fusky world by at least 17. That will bring a sack load of fear to the rest of the PAC. 12 - 0 yup

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

QB is critical and replacing Bo,  his leadership and vast experience, will not be easy.

In replaying the games i have noticed Bo, once again, is calling audibles and moving players around. Often as the Ducks come to the LOS. This comes from 50 plus games as a starter. Replacing a QB who will leave with 58 to 61 starts may not happen.

TT will really have to step up to fill those shoes. It is obvious he has improved and perhaps he will grow leaps and bounds as the starter.

The system may be plug and play but the player may not be. It will be Coach Lanning and Steins greatest off season challenge.

Even a top QB transfer with 25 plus starts will have to learn the system. And he may not have earned the veterans respect.

All but a handful of schools would trade their starting QB's for Bo. That is a scoreboard statement.

I agree with Log Haulin that top level recruiting and portal choices can change the landscape. DL and staff have exceeded my expectations.

Doesnt mean lightning cant strike twice......

However with Bo at the controls this is the Ducks best chance since MM walked off the field almost 10 years ago to win a Natty.

Go Ducks...15-0

It's time for Charles and PK's fantasy to come true.......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dont forget that Austin Novosaid is a 4 star recruit.

On 10/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Dont forget that Austin Novosaid is a 4 star recruit.

With the small sample size, Novastad looks more comfortable than TT.

It kills me to say that bc watching TT’s highlight reels from HS are absolutely dazzling.

Charles, I most definitely share your Fine-Feathered-Fantasy!  I also think this year’s version of OBD have the talent, depth, skill, and attitude to deliver and undefeated National Championship season!

If DL can keep them hungry and looking to get better with each outing, and if they play to their potential with no letdowns, 2023 may just deliver what PK and the rest of us have been waiting decades for!

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 10:25 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Yes, I know how tough the schedule is, there could be injuries, the ball doesn't bounce our way, etc.

Of all the things the PAC refs scares me the most. At least we're past Stanford.

• Salute 1

On 10/3/2023 at 2:24 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Also, as David mentioned, the Ducks have a balanced offense that can beat you with the run or pass. Have any PAC teams faced a 2 dimensional offense? Hec what other team in the PAC is 2 dimensional on offense??????

Here is how I see the offenses break down in the Pac-12 right now.

Air Raid

-Washington

-Washington State

-USC

-Colorado

-Arizona

-Arizona State

Ground and Pound

-Utah (would probably balance out if/when Rising returns)

-Oregon State

-Cal

Balanced

-Oregon

-UCLA (Passing attack is a bit suspect at the moment but both stats are close)

-Stanford (but they are awful at BOTH!)

So far Oregon has played a TON of pass heavy teams... and some of their most dangerous competition will remain pass heavy teams. Oregon State and Utah could be dangerous but our Offense has put up a whole lot more points. Utah might be a bit more deadly if they get Rising back as they have been one-dimensional so far, but how good is Rising going to be if he isn't 100% and when he returns he may be healthy but he isn't going to be as good as he was last year, at least not right away. He hasn't been able to play or practice at full speed for quite some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 9:24 PM, David Marsh said:

Here is how I see the offenses break down in the Pac-12 right now.

Air Raid

-Washington

-Washington State

-USC

-Colorado

-Arizona

-Arizona State

Ground and Pound

-Utah (would probably balance out if/when Rising returns)

-Oregon State

-Cal

Balanced

-Oregon

-UCLA (Passing attack is a bit suspect at the moment but both stats are close)

-Stanford (but they are awful at BOTH!)

So far Oregon has played a TON of pass heavy teams... and some of their most dangerous competition will remain pass heavy teams. Oregon State and Utah could be dangerous but our Offense has put up a whole lot more points. Utah might be a bit more deadly if they get Rising back as they have been one-dimensional so far, but how good is Rising going to be if he isn't 100% and when he returns he may be healthy but he isn't going to be as good as he was last year, at least not right away. He hasn't been able to play or practice at full speed for quite some time.

KSLSPORTS.COM

Utah football has been waiting for approval from the same doctor for Cam Rising and...