Charles Fischer

Cam Rising: Just in Time for Oregon?

So let me get this straight...he is out, and Utah will lose some more games as a result, but he might be back in time for the Ducks?

giphy.gif

WWW.KSL.COM

In his weekly ESPN700 appearance, injured Utes quarterback Cam Rising offered some insight on, not just the injury, but on his mindset as the rehab process wears on.

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Rising might want to think twice about that. Unless he want a medical retirement. Coming back for Oregon is a bad career choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think he should redshirt, especially after our DL knocks the rust off of him.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

For our Utah friends on this board, know that my remarks are posted out of respect.  Rising is darned fine QB when healthy, and if he is--I want him to beat everyone to make our matchup epic.  I wish great healing for him for as long as it takes.

And I feel for the Utes with the injuries.  Oh what 2007 for Oregon could have been...

Book excerpt! Dennis Dixon's 2007 Oregon | The best 2016 college football  preview magazine is here online for free

• Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Seriously, Rising needs to bag this season. Way to risky. Why KW isn't telling him this makes no sense.

Call it a day Cam and start working out for the draft. Get right and have a long NFL carrer. Better to hold a clipboard in the league healthy than working a 9-5 at the Wall Drug.

• Thumbs Up 3

If you want to be the best, you gotta beat the best.  After all that Cam has done to the Ducks, I'd like to think they can undo the painful past with a big win in SLC this year!

As much as I would like to have Rising back and take our shot at UO, uw, and usc, I think we probably only manage one win in that stretch with him anyway given the rest of the injuries and the crazy talent the top teams have.

Go with Plan B - hang it up for this year (Kuthie as well).  Get a medical redshirt for both and bring a ton of people back in 24.  Win the so so Big12 and make a run in the expanded playoffs!  I think Rising needs another year in college to get NFL teams to look at him more seriously.  Will show much better at 100% next year vs Houston and Iowa State than how it will go against the Ducks and fuskies this year.   I do think Rising is pushing to come back even though he has had some advice to skip the year.

Expectations have been totally mismanaged and they should have just said it would be mid-season at best for a return.  I saw Rising run on the sidelines 3 weeks ago and he still looked like he was gimpy, but the word was that he was cleared to practice - maybe as the holder but not a running QB.  The way things have gone, I wouldn’t be surprised if he showed up starting the next game - nothing transparent about the process at all.  

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Imo, Rising doesn't need another year to prove his worth. 6 games left in the season is NOT worth aggravating an injury that is or is not healed yet. Sadly, this is the preseason for next year for Utah. Its not about Oregon, its about coming off an incredibly serious injury. Getting back to playing form takes a while.

• Wow 1

If Rising wants to play another year then best to red shirt him and let him come back fully healthy. 

If he wants to enter the draft... he needs to get healthy to do that and not risk getting more injured by playing. 

It is likely Utah loses another game before he returns. They don't play Oregon until week 9 which is his projected return date. Before then Utah has Cal and USC. But wait... Cal isn't very good can't hey beat them?

Yes... but Cal is happy to play a defensive slugfest type game and that's the only thing Utah can do. I give this one a coin toss with a slight advantage to Utah. If Cal can put together slightly more offense they might be able to win. 

As for USC... well they'll score on Utah and Utah's offense probably can't keep up. This is the game I predict Utah probably losing. Which puts Utah at 2 losses which knocks them out of the playoff running and probably out of the conference championship running. 

So what would Rising be returning to? In this day and age where everything is about the individual player and that player looking out for what's best for them it would be refreshingly selfless for Rising to return for his team... but it would be unwise for him to return for himself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm definitely on the side of Cam coming back very cautiously and SLOWLY.

He can play in 4 games and still redshirt. If he is "good to go", I would play him a little in garbage time, winning or losing.

The NFL draft is crowded with QBs this year. He should return next year, win the Big 12, play in and maybe win a playoff game, THEN go for the draft and NFL $.

I am sure he is making enough NIL money to be able to survive financially one more year of University life.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

"Utah's Cam Rising says he tore multiple ligaments in Rose Bowl"

This poor kid really did a serious number on his knee...  "I tore my meniscus, MPFL, and MCL."

I cannot imagine that it would be wise for him to attempt to come back this season. But I do, of course, wish him the best of luck in his recovery.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38577335/utah-cam-rising-says-tore-multiple-ligaments-rose-bowl

• Thumbs Up 1

I always want the Ducks to take on an opponent at their fullest strength win or lose. I also like be the spirited rivalry with Utah. With that said, I think it would be in his best interest to heal up and get ready for next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Log, CFB is now a mecca for gambling. Coach Whit is playing footsie with Rising's knee. Based upon no uniform injury reporting in CFB as we have in the NFL, why not?

Rising should sit this season out. And depending on where his people tell him he fits in the 2024 draft, he should come back and play a season in the B12 before going to the draft in 2025. 

Utah will be an immediate champion contender in the B12, especially with OK and TX gone. Odds on IMO to make the 12-team playoff. And this season's litany of injuries should not repeat itself in 2024.

Utah is a better program than any of the 2023 B12 newbies and as good as any of the remaining teams.

I would hate to see Rising come back too soon. But as Charles notes, he may be back for the SC, UW, and Oregon games. Goodness knows this Utah O needs a jump start. But IMO, Rising should not be putting millions of dollars on the line even though he now has a cherry new truck.

[And teams used to go on probation for guys being given sweet rides? Shedeur Sanders is tooling around Boulder in a Maybach! But that's only a $200K car.]

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Love Rising, the guy is a warrior. I would say it will take Whittingham telling him he can't play to keep him off the field.

The thing that makes him so electric is he loves to play and his teammates feed off of his energy. 

The problem is if he isn't 100% there is nothing in his DNA which will make him pull up, or slow down in the moments when that would be wise. The guy is a great football player!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is a tuff kid and an intense competitor. 

Does he want to get out there and play? Heck yes.

Would coming back to soon be a good idea? Heck yes!

This was an extremely bad injury and I agree with most of you, don’t do it young man. Could cost you a ton of money.

If....if......he ever plays again......it should either be next year or the last four this year. I suspected something was up when he did not play against UCLA. 

The injury sounds really bad. Hope the best for him.