FishDuck Article

Is Oregon Flashy Enough for Bo To Win a Heisman?

Heisman Trophy voting changes from year to year. The trophy is supposed to go to the best player in college football, and it often goes to a quarterback due to quantifiable stats and the quarterback simply touching the ball on every down. Sure, non-quarterbacks have won the award but that isn’t a terribly regular occurrence. Mr. FishDuck took some time ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Heisman Trophy voting changes from year to year. The trophy is supposed to go to the best player in college football, and it often goes to a...
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

"Oregon is ruthlessly efficient on offense, and that is in large part due to Nix’s ability to run the offense.

It isn’t flashy, but it is effective. Nix’s best hope to win the Heisman will come in continuing to do what he is doing: operate the offense and win games."

IMO, this is what makes Nix the best player in college football. His ability to manage a game from "the booth". His football IQ is incredibly high. Nix is a second offensive coordinator sitting in the QB position. That is a dangerous man for opposing defenses.

Nix can make all the throws. He can run the ball like a second running back option on the field. But what makes Nix special is cerebral. Nix will be the best player on the field this Saturday, every Saturday, because he has the biggest football brain in all of college football.

Like a lot of this article says. Huge props to the rest of the team. They make it much easier for Nix to manage the games. Lanning has put together one of the best supporting cast around Nix in the country. This is a complete team across the first and second units.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

The voters don’t get their ballots until he gets a chance to beat all three of the contenders in the PAC-12. 

Bring on the next pretender, I mean contender! He has lots of chances and should be in New York this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

David--I was not aware of the important stats you cited, and I do appreciate the information and perspective. The question that is imbedded within your article is, "if you had a choice between an offense that is more reliant on the Quarterback, or an offense that is more balanced and has a better chance of winning a Natty....which do you pick?"

I pick the balanced offense every time; not only can your team go farther, but the chance still remains for a shot at a Heisman simply from all the winning.

Fantastic stat about how many TDs Bo has rushed for this year compared to last--whoa.  Between that and what you wrote concerning the ball-control happening with the passing attack, it makes me appreciate that much more what Will Stein is doing for Bo and the Oregon offense.  Great article-thanks!

Bo Nix Poster_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Bo's best chance at the Heisman is for a 12-0 regular season.

Not sure of the date the votes must be in. But 13-0 leaving the PAC Title game wouldnt hurt the cause..

That would mean that Bo helped lead the team to victories over Penix and Williams 

And most likely a 2nd win over one of these 2 great QB's for the title.

IMHO, Bo wants a team title not an individual honor. He, like Charles, probably appreciates the teams offensive balance.

GO DUCKS. .......

• Go Ducks! 1

Personally I'd take a national title over a Heisman.

The other thing that just hit me is that with NIL not only is Caleb Williams putting on a show on the field but he is also in so many of the add breaks too! 

I doubt it plays a role but his face is everywhere. 

Though if Oregon goes 13-0 I think Nix gets to New York at least. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Tim Tebow won a Heisman with 4 losses. I don't think going 13-0 would get Nix the trophy. Like said above, I don't know that it matters to Bo.

Caleb Williams or Penix will probably win it even with multiple losses. I for one am fine with that. Nix, in my view, is a better all around QB and Oregon is a better program.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll bet Bo would be happy with a New York invitation but much happier with a hoisted NC trophy.

The Heisman may not be a full fledged beauty contest, but it comes close, at least for QBs that make up the vast majority of the winners. Gaudy passing stats and big offensive production gets votes. The coaching and offensive scheme often help immensely but are not a guarantee of overall team strength and the ability to win championships. Witness Lincoln Riley's record.

Fact is, it is the rare QB Heisman winner that lights it up in the NFL. Going back to 2000, an admittedly personal ranking of the nineteen winners that have been QBs:

Good to Great:

Carson Palmer

Lamar Jackson

Potentially Good to Great:

Joe Burrow

Good, not Great:

Cam Newton 

Fair to Good (but too fragile):

RG3

Sam Bradford

Marcus Mariota (sorry to say)

Fair (perhaps at best):

Baker Mayfield

Jameis Winston

Early Bust:

Bryce Young 

Kyler Murray

Bust:

Johnny Manziel

Tim Tebow 

Troy Smith

Matt Leinart

Chris Weinke 

Never Played QB in the NFL:

Jason White

Eric Crouch

????:

Caleb Williams

How many former Heisman winners have been on non-playoff teams?

Can't be the best in CFB if your team isn't, at least according to voters.

Bo is on the outside looking in. He won't have gaudy stats (tho 80% passing is right up there). The best thing for him is for the team to just keep winning. 

If we/he beats UW, beats USC, beats OSU and wins Pac12, he will be in New York. Wins against those other candidates will be considered as out performing them. And even with just his average performance so far in those games, he will have enough stats to look legitimate. 

I hope GameDay crowd this week is inundated with Bo- dacious signs.

And Corso puts on the Duck head!

Strictly answering the question posed by the Topic, certainly Oregon is 'flashy' enough.  I have friends and family from the coast of Oregon all the way to the Midwest (Mn & Mo) and states in-between that think Oregon is one of the flashiest teams in all of CFB.  Are they showcasing Bo enough to get him the award, (ie letting him dominate the offense with either his arm or his legs or both) to win him the Heisman?  Now that's an entirely different question, which is what I think Charles is getting at.

I'd say no, Lanning & his O.C. are balancing the offense - and for very good reason.  A balanced offense is much harder to stop.  This isn't the Caleb Williams or the Shaduer Sanders show.  This is Oregon distributing the ball to as many play-makers as it takes to keep the defense off balance and guessing what's coming on every play.  This is sound offensive football.  Couple that with a top-notch defense and what you have is a team that is in every game and winning most, if not all, of them.

I think (I don't really know anything) this is not about winning the Heisman for Bo.  This is Lanning football about winning games and winning championships.  And I like Dan for that.  I'm always for the Team and not the individual.  Let the BO posters hang in every city for all I care.  Let the emphasis at Oregon be on a total team effort to win for the team not any particular individual.  My guess is Bo himself is down with all that.  And he could still win the Heisman if the voters are truly savvy ad true to the criteria needed to win it.

Edited by Mic

Thanks, David.

Nix leading Oregon to wins over 7. UW, 10. USC, 15. Oregon State, 16. Utah, 19. Wazzu, and a ranked team in the Pac-12 champ game where he will have a Friday Night only P5 teams playing audience will be noticed and he will at least be making a trip to NYC.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Notre Dame's Paul Hornung played on a losing team. The last player to ever do so and win the award, Paul road the ND brand to the Heisman.

Has not happened since. And will not happen again.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Heisman goes to the best player, I don't think that is Bo.

Right now, I think it is Caleb, but I haven't watched the rest of the "Eastern" field.

Penix is the best passer I have seen.

Bo just doesn't hit the deep ball consistently.

He has missed at least 3 open receivers deep and his 1 pick was an almost sure TD if he just makes a good throw, didn't need to be a great throw.  So, I think his deep ball accuracy is not there. 

Now, if he can just go and prove me wrong against ewe dub.

Awards follow performance. I’d agree that at this point, Bo is an also ran. But, he’s shown the big game knack for rising to the occasion (against us while at Auburn). Plenty of opportunities in front of him, however I’d also agree that when it comes to trophies, the Heisman pales for him in comparison to a NC.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:29 PM, Steven A said:

The Heisman goes to the best player, I don't think that is Bo.

Right now, I think it is Caleb, but I haven't watched the rest of the "Eastern" field.

Penix is the best passer I have seen.

Bo just doesn't hit the deep ball consistently.

He has missed at least 3 open receivers deep and his 1 pick was an almost sure TD if he just makes a good throw, didn't need to be a great throw.  So, I think his deep ball accuracy is not there. 

Now, if he can just go and prove me wrong against ewe dub.

Stats wise Bo isn't that far off shockingly from the other two. I think the bigger problem is the highlight reel right now.

And yes, I agree that Nix needs to keep working on that deep ball because he's had a few misses that were otherwise touchdowns. But that's the hard part of the deep ball ... it's probably more often it's a miss because of the throw and not anything the opposing defense did. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 10/10/2023 at 9:12 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

This is a Duck site, green glasses and all so we must look at a stat

Good to Great:

Carson Palmer

Fair to Good (but too fragile):

Marcus Mariota (sorry to say)

Palmer NFL QB rating 87.9

Mariota NFL QB rating  89.3

Hanging around the NFL and putting up lousy stat’s doesn’t make you good to great, especially if you were a toe jam.