Charles Fischer

It Was All Mental, Cam..,

You have 42 yards, straight ahead, and no wind. This is what you came here for, and what the team needs.

You have the physical ability to do it…

(I placekicked in HS, and this is all mental.)

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Kick off out of bounds too. Cam needs to get rid of the yips, that kick is why you play the game.

Plenty of other mistakes, but that one hurt!

• Thumbs Up 1

Charles, good call. But as an old-school guy, you do not leave 6 points on the field when you are a dog (sorry) on the road.

And you PUNT!

Yeah, Cam missed it. But Oregon should have never put Cam in this position.

Great Game! Don't let this game bleed into the WSU game. These 2 teams are odds on to meet in Vegas.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 7

I would have liked getting another 8-10 yards.

That FG probably sneaks in from 33 instead of 42. Over the years Cam has been pretty solid -- inside of 40.

With 17 seconds left, the last two plays (passes) weren't close. With a timeout, why not run the ball and get 4 to 5 yards?

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 3

Charles, good call. But as an old-school guy, you do not leave 6 points on the field when you are a dog (sorry) on the road.

And you PUNT!

Great Game! Don't let this game bleed into the WSU game. These 2 teams are odds on to meet in Vegas.

Go Ducks!
  •  
  •  

frustrating
Out coached today 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Honestly while Cam has gotten better over the years, he's not a very mentally strong kicker, can't really think of a big kick from anything longer than a chip shot with the game on the line where he made it.  

Heck he did his best last year to blow the bowl game on a PAT.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon, I disagree. If it was 52 yards, I would agree with your reasoning. But 42 yards, straight on, and no wind is what you live for. He just plain choked.

Another Maldenado…

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

This game didn't tell us who the better team is. I am proud of the Ducks. Hate the outcome. See Fusky soon. Good luck beating the Ducks twice in one year.

• Thumbs Up 4

He has reached his ceiling, and that bump on the head hurt.  I will say there is still plenty of season to right this ship. 

I hate to say it, but the dawgs are a good team, that played well at home. Next time they won't be at home.

• Applause 1

Its a team loss -nothing more nothing less-mistakes by players, coaches and lethargic play all contributed. Next Game move on

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep, sucks to lose for sure, but next game.  We can still make the CFP.  However, no more mulligans.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2023 at 4:34 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Charles, good call. But as an old-school guy, you do not leave 6 points on the field when you are a dog (sorry) on the road.

And you PUNT!

Thank you for the rational voice.

There were so many places on the field where we lost that game. It always seems to be the last play that most remember though. 

But they still played one helluva an exciting game though... even though they about gave heart failure a couple of times. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2023 at 4:45 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Its a team loss -nothing more nothing less-mistakes by players, coaches and lethargic play all contributed. Next Game move on

I certainly did not see lethargic play by this team today. With all due respect, regarding that part of your comment, I have no idea what you're talking about. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2023 at 4:34 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And you PUNT!

Yeah,

You also don't let a WR run into your area of responsibility, and let him catch the ball because you got caught looking at the QB.  Nobody should ever catch a pass in the area you are responsible for-especially if he is running right at you.  That pass should have been intercepted anyway, but it is worse when you start running to the area you should already be in because that is your job.  

When you look at the QB, you are automatically out of position.  Williams ran out of position on top of being out of position.  There is no excuse for this-the pass was thrown exactly where Williams should have been.  Exactly.

I have said this for three years.  THREE.  

Lanning trusts his defense.  A simple task backs up his faith and confidence.  

Williams does his job?  GAME OVER.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:54 PM, Desert Duck said:

I certainly did not see lethargic play by this team today. With all due respect, regarding that part of your comment, I have no idea what you're talking about. 

I was referring to the first 2 quarters. 

This game was close.Either team could have won. Our guys played well enough to win and the UW QB is clearly nails. Our coach decided to roll the dice twice for TDs vs pretty make-able FGSs.. We failed on both of those go-for-it attempts. It cost us. Who knows how things would have turned out if we made both those FGs. Win? I’d say more than 50% chance. If the last name of our coach today was “Mark Helfich,” what would you think?

All that said, well…poop. Lets win the rest and rematch with the Dawgs in a neutral site and beat them there!

Edited by SeattleDuck92
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I hope that Oregon has another good placekicker on the team because some players never recover from this...

Tough way for Bo Nix and the Oregon Ducks to lose, giving them no room for error the rest of the way.

I love Lanning! But this was a coaching error loss. Take the chip shot field goals. Cam’s confidence would be higher with more made shots. Get late game first downs by not being so predictable with the run. The Ducks left money on the table.

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't mind moving the pocket around occasionally but I think WS is relying on too much on that "sprint out" with Nix at key moments. Not to say this is accurate; but, it sort of seems something like, "I'm not sure what I want to do here, so I'll put it in Nix's hands and hope he makes a play."

Would like to see the ball go to Franklin more. If the UW is going to go down, it probably will be throwing to their best guy(s). The 25 yard pass to Franklin with 3:33 almost was enough to put the game away. Third and two with 2:22 we run a very predictably in between the tackles and James slips then the "sprint out" on 4th where the throw to Johnson isn't close.

Would like to see Ferguson get more routes other than that two yard throw from the LOS the team seem to give him a couple times a game. Toss to the TE on 4th and 2? TE doesn't even leave the LOS on that play.

We need to be hitting the portal for top caliber kickers every year. Let other teams develop them. Unless we get some prodigy, of course.

His missed FG vs. Stanford was dreadful as well, but I blame this loss on Lanning's on field coaching decisions. Penix was playing poorly and hurt in the second half, and we should have punted instead of going for it there at the end. They had to score a TD, so stop them for 80+ yards-not 50.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/14/2023 at 4:49 PM, Desert Duck said:

There were so many places on the field where we lost that game. It always seems to be the last play that most remember though. 

No.

You tell me...what is harder? 

--Moving on a very motivated Husky defense? Blocking fast bodies, and making big catches?

--Trying to stop Michael Penix?

or...

Kicking a 42 yard field goal, straight in front with no wind?  One swing of the leg?  It was easy for him physically...and this is what they train for.  The rest of the team had it far harder...

A field goal kicker is only as good as what he can produce at crunch time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/14/2023 at 4:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Jon, I disagree. If it was 52 yards, I would agree with your reasoning. But 42 yards, straight on, and no wind is what you live for. He just plain choked.

Another Maldenado…

Charles - With all due respect, I would think that if you are going to publicly isolate one person to call out on the carpet, that it might be Coach Lanning -- who it seemed on multiple occasions was trying awfully hard to do his best Brandon Staley imitation.

And yes, Cam pulled it right and it probably was all mental. Cam looked healthy, there was no wind, conditions appeared to be dry, the snap & hold were excellent. And he pulled it right.  

Crap happens. Sorry, but to publicly call him another Maldenado, is a bit over the top for me.

If this conversation was you and me over a couple of beers, then fine. But this is a thread that I would not mind seeing deleted. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/14/2023 at 5:17 PM, Desert Duck said:

I would think that if you are going to publicly isolate one person to call out on the carpet, that it might be Coach Lanning

Haven't got there yet.  One at a time...

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Out coached again. This time by our own coaches. Kick the FG going into the half. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/14/2023 at 5:24 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Haven't got there yet.  One at a time...

LOL... Thank you for making me laugh and for your kind response. 

And we need to have those beers I referenced sometime when I'm up in Eugene. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 10/14/2023 at 5:17 PM, Desert Duck said:

Sorry, but to publicly call him another Maldonado, is a bit over the top for me.

You're right.  Maldonado missed a 43 yarder, straight-on, with no wind against USC in 2011 that kept us out of the Rose Bowl.  Cam's was much less at 42 yards...

It was an apt comparison; they both choked.

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/14/2023 at 5:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You're right.  Maldonado missed a 43 yarder, straight-on, with no wind against USC in 2011 that kept us out of the Rose Bowl.  Cam's was much less at 42 yards...

It was an apt comparison; they both choked.

LOL... Stop... you're killin' here. Seriously, I'm laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes. 

I remember that Maldonado shank  and that one hurt like hell too.

I used to say for years that being a Duck football & basketball fan is a lot like being a Cubs fan. But I'm not so sure anymore, as we may have it worse. They at least finally won the World Series.

• Great post! 1

I disagree, 42 yards isn’t a chip shot.  Sometimes kickers just miss.  Sure Cam should have made it, but there were many that missed plays they should’ve made in this game, and certainly much blame to go around.  I’m certainly disappointed and feel that the Ducks could’ve and should’ve won, but shite happens, it isn’t Cam’s fault at all IMO.  

On a more positive note, this isn’t the end.  Ducks are a very good team, no more room for error, but I honestly believe it’s still very possible for them to make the CFP.  

• Thumbs Up 4

If my memory serves me right Maldonado missed some xtra point attempts too---just sayin

• Mic drop 1

Tough loss.  I like Lanning, but at this point DeBoer is a significantly better coach. Tough loss for players when coaching decisions led to the loss.

Not surprised Cam missed.  We've seen it before...  I don't blame him.  This is on Lanning.  And two of those fourth down calls seemed pretty lame to me.  You would think we would have something better than roll out and hope someone gets open...

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

A reliable kicker is as critically important as a talented quarterback. I agree with 2002duck that every effort should be made every year to get the best kicker available. 

Lewis certainly should have hit the game tying field goal, but Oregon’s coaching staff needs to learn that it’s better to take the sure 3 than to roll the dice on 4th down when you are playing a great team. 

The frustrating part about Oregon going for it on 4th down late in the game from their own territory instead of punting is that this is the second year in a row it was tried and failed against the same team. Both times the plays called were poorly designed and executed. I’m hoping Lanning can find the balance between being aggressive and making wise decisions. I’m also hoping OBD gets another shot at the Huskies this year.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I disagree, 42 yards isn’t a chip shot.  Sometimes kickers just miss.  Sure Cam should have made it, but there were many that missed plays they should’ve made in this game, and certainly much blame to go around.  I’m certainly disappointed and feel that the Ducks could’ve and should’ve won, but shite happens, it isn’t Cam’s fault at all IMO.  

On a more positive note, this isn’t the end.  Ducks are a very good team, no more room for error, but I honestly believe it’s still very possible for them to make the CFP.  

Exactly. Win out, and we could get in. 

And I say this as a guy who is often a glass-half-empty person. So I'm really doing my best Coach Lasso imitation here.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, he should have made the kick, but it's a lot of pressure, and a 42 yd kick isn't a chip shot.  Lanning went on 4th down twice instead of a field goal, and again with under two minutes.  If just one of the three were successful ,we'd be having a different conversation.  Don't know why he didn't punt at the end of the game, other than they couldn't stop UW, and they wanted to be the offense controlling the end of the game.

On 10/14/2023 at 8:49 PM, Desert Duck said:

Exactly. Win out, and we could get in. 

And I say this as a guy who is often a glass-half-empty person. So I'm really doing my best Coach Lasso imitation here.

Lol, I honestly believe that a 1 loss PAC-12 champ is assured a CFP spot this season.  The PAC is strong this season, so I will be extremely shocked if this isn’t the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2023 at 5:38 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

If my memory serves me right Maldonado missed some xtra point attempts too---just sayin

At the time of the kick, I believe Maldonado was 6-10 on FG in his career with a long of 37.

If memory serves me, the Ducks got down to the USC 18 yard line with about 0:20 seconds left.

Maybe a bit like today, they threw a safe short sideline incomplete pass then followed it up with a safe horizontal line-of-scrimmage pass that lost about 3 yards. 

The Ducks tried to center the kick for the 37 yard kick, but got a false start penalty pushing it back to 42 yards, then USC jumped offside and it went back to 37 yards for the final kick.

Of course the Maldonado kick wasn't close that day; but, the mention of 2011 sort of started me thinking (again) about playing at the end of the game for a (long) kick that is right at the very, very, very edge of the kicker's reliable range.

Both games, if you have the ability to run two more plays, don't stop playing (aggressively) if your kicker isn't in his reliable range -- not Maldonado -- but probably not really CL either (I went ahead and looked and ESPN has CL 12-18 on 40+ yard FG in his career, so 67% without the pressure of a game tying kick in a huge pressure spot).

Edited by AnotherOD

On 10/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Serious question - would Kirby Smart have gone for it on any of the 4th downs today, if he were in Dan Lanning’s shoes?

I don’t know how aggressive a coach Kirby Smart is and I am wondering where Dan Lanning’s aggressiveness comes from. 

Edited by OregonDucks

On 10/14/2023 at 5:05 PM, I Ducked said:

I love Lanning! But this was a coaching error loss. Take the chip shot field goals. Cam’s confidence would be higher with more made shots. Get late game first downs by not being so predictable with the run. The Ducks left money on the table.

I believe Stein took what they gave him.  He did throw to Franklin-almost a desperate play near the end at that.  They made more plays than we did.  Heck, I've already pointed out 14 points from SIMPLE mistakes. Could it be Lanning had to outscore his defense, hence the risky decisions?

They took Franklin away.  Their NT blew up a one on one matchup that forced the 4th and 3.  That is called making a play.  I don't believe that run on 3rd down was a mistake. Analytics would back me on that.  We ran for nearly 200 yards.  That is well above average.  We executed clutch more than 60% of the time in that very situation.

This came down to the players.  Plain and simple.  They are as good as we are.  They made more plays today than we did today.  Nobody wants to give them credit.  They stopped us after an unforced INT for crying out loud.  Play calling didn't make that happen.   They executed.  In fact, Nix directed a covered Franklin on that play.  On the kind of call you asked for in fact.  

I am going to run the ball when I average 6 yards a carry through most of the game.  I will call play action (Stein did several times) when they crowd the box.  I will throw to my go to guy in clutch situations (Stein did in the 4Q).  

Everything you mentioned was done.  Except kicking and punting in typical situations most coaches would take.  I say those coaches lose because quite frankly, they are even more explosive than we are.  They scored their final TD in two plays.  Just like last year.  Is there any logic in thinking you might as well trust your explosive and reliable offense when your defense is getting served the same dish as last year (with better players on defense at that)?

I don't see it.  They would have driven 99 7/8 yards for a TD the way the Safeties gave up the middle of the field, the advantage they got from both the refs and clearly plenty of practice at 50/50 balls in tight coverage.  They were making plays we weren't making.  It really, really, did I say really? came down to that.

Second guess Lanning all you want, but give them the credit they deserve.  

We missed a tying FG -did you forget that?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2023 at 7:59 PM, Mike West said:

Yeah,

You also don't let a WR run into your area of responsibility, and let him catch the ball because you got caught looking at the QB.  Nobody should ever catch a pass in the area you are responsible for-especially if he is running right at you.  That pass should have been intercepted anyway, but it is worse when you start running to the area you should already be in because that is your job.  

When you look at the QB, you are automatically out of position.  Williams ran out of position on top of being out of position.  There is no excuse for this-the pass was thrown exactly where Williams should have been.  Exactly.

I have said this for three years.  THREE.  

Lanning trusts his defense.  A simple task backs up his faith and confidence.  

Williams does his job?  GAME OVER.

Mike, there is no one on this board who I respect more than you.

Dan Lanning will be a great coach. But hubris-like calls have cost the Ducks in the last 2 seasons. Vs. UW. Kirby Smart made some of the same kinds of calls before Kirby got it.

Do not when on the road, leave points on the board. And especially when you have an all-world QB on the ropes, dinged up, punt the football.

I was surprised at how well the UW OL played. I was also surprised at how the Oregon D on the right side was out of position and could not hold the edge.

Onward and upward. Beat UW in Las Vegas. 

A number of the throws that Penix made today were special. But the Ducks did beat him down and had him hurt in the 4th Q.

You simply cannot, although I appreciate the gutsy (kind of) calls, not kick chip shot FGs, and you CANNOT go for it in your end on 4th down late in the 4th Q.

I agree that the DB messed up late. But he did not have to be in a position to mess up.

Lanning will learn but to me, this was a 2022 bad coaching decision redux. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

The field goal at the end of the game was just one of many plays during the game that Oregon was unable to execute on.

Multiple coaching decisions did not help. The decision to not attempt two easy field goals, especially at the end of the first half. Poor play calling on 3rd and 4th down on the last drive. Deciding not to punt deep on the last drive even though the defense had been playing well in the 2nd half.

It would be easy to say that if Oregon had blocked better on 3rd and 2 we would have gotten a first down and ran out the clock. Once given the unfortunate task to stop Washington on a short field the defense was unable to make the needed plays.

These are some of the reasons, I will not blame Cam for the loss. Yes, he could have made the kick but any number of players on offense and defense could have executed better on their last chances and then Cam would not even be put in that situation.

Coach Lanning can also learn that when you are gift wrapped unexpected points at the end of the first half you better dam well take them.

I like this site because individual players are not usually called out like this. I'm disappointed to see it happening to Cam. 

Edited by JB89

On 10/14/2023 at 9:05 PM, OregonDucks said:

Serious question - would Kirby Smart have gone for it on any of the 4th downs today?

I don’t know how aggressive a coach he is so that is why I’m asking. 

It’s kinda hard to answer but I’ll give my opinion.  I think 90% of the time no he wouldn’t, bc Kirby tends to be more conservative.  

But it’s easy to be conservative when you feel you have a talent advantage.  In this case it’s likely the smart move.  But in the case of today’s game I’m not 100% sure.  Two extremely good teams and your team is on the road in a hostile environment.  I would say it is very possible that Kirby would have tried to take control and gone for it, if he had confidence in his offense.  

Of coarse in hindsight it’s certainly easy to say Lanning screwed up, but it’s all relative. If it had worked out he’d be a genius.

Edited by SoGaDawg

Both teams played hard and well, but it feels at this moment that a good effort by Oregon on both sides of the ball was wasted. 

Camden is a good young man who had an all-conference year last year. If he had made the kick, it was still a 50/50 propostion. Oregon ought not to have been in that position. 

Mike West made a good point a ways back in this thread. It looked to me at the time that Penix threw into double-coverage and that our defenders did not fine a ball that could have been intercepted. 

My question is not about the decisions to go for it, but the play calls. I suppose it always seems this way if the plays do not work, but the plays seemed rather uninspired. I fancy that Chip Kelly, Mark Helfrich, or even Joe Morehead would have devised something more deceptive or imaginative. 

On the fourth down at midfield, it looked to me that two of our receivers ran to the same area, while Troy Franklin (who was alone with a defender on the opposite side) was not the first read. Puzzling. Perhaps the injury to Ferguson limited their options. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2023 at 7:45 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Thanks for the comment. But lethargic? I did not see this. I saw the Ducks overcome woeful field position early on. 6 point deficit at the end of the 1st Q. 4 at the end of the half. 11 points down, I thought that we would see the rerun of the game at Texas Tech.

I saw 2 very good teams going toe to toe from the get-go. I saw GUTS on display when Oregon held UW out of the end zone in the 4th Q. I thought that the game was won. However, you do not give the Heisman favorite the ball on your side of the field late in the 4th Q.

This was as good and as violent a game that I have watched in the last 5 seasons including watching ball played in the SEC.

This was guts-out smash-mouth football and if Oregon does not suffer a hangover we will see these 2 play again in 2023.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 10/14/2023 at 6:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Yup.  Not to mention Lanning makes about $7M a year more than kickers and safeties do

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope this line of chatter is of some interest. 

It seems to me in retrospect that on the last drive the Ducks were trying to run into a crowded box too often. 

I would trust Bo at this point to do play action and a short pass. 

Regarding the decision to go for it at midfield, despite the defense's effort, I do not like the idea of putting the ball back in Penix's hands with nearly 3 minutes left, even at the 15 yard line. 

On 10/14/2023 at 6:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks for the comment. But lethargic? I did not see this. I saw the Ducks overcome woeful field position early on. 6 point deficit at the end of the 1st Q. 4 at the end of the half. 11 points down, I thought that we would see the rerun of the game at Texas Tech.

I saw 2 very good teams going toe to toe from the get-go. I saw GUTS on display when Oregon held UW out of the end zone in the 4th Q. I thought that the game was won. However, you do not give the Heisman favorite the ball on your side of the field late in the 4th Q.

This was as good and as violent a game that I have watched in the last 5 seasons including watching ball played in the SEC.

This was guts-out smash-mouth football and if Oregon does not suffer a hangover we will see these 2 play again in 2023.

Im not sold on the Fuskies being a good TEAM. They have a great QB and some pretty good receivers and a decent coach. The Fuskies came out as the aggressors.

On 10/14/2023 at 6:13 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Mike, there is no one on this board who I respect more than you.

Dan Lanning will be a great coach. But hubris-like calls have cost the Ducks in the last 2 seasons. Vs. UW. Kirby Smart made some of the same kinds of calls before Kirby got it.

Do not when on the road, leave points on the board. And especially when you have an all-world QB on the ropes, dinged up, punt the football.

I was surprised at how well the UW OL played. I was also surprised at how the Oregon D on the right side was out of position and could not hold the edge.

Onward and upward. Beat UW in Las Vegas. 

A number of the throws that Penix made today were special. But the Ducks did beat him down and had him hurt in the 4th Q.

You simply cannot, although I appreciate the gutsy (kind of) calls, not kick chip shot FGs, and you CANNOT go for it in your end on 4th down late in the 4th Q.

I agree that the DB messed up late. But he did not have to be in a position to mess up.

You are absolutely correct about everything you said.  Did it matter?  Would we have stopped Penix from starting where the Pacific Ocean and Pugent Sound meet?

The way they practice those special throws you mentioned, I don't think they could have started on Alpha Centauri and failed.   I honestly don't believe we hold them to cover those extra six points. 

These two teams are so equal in talent and coaching that it will ALWAYS come to executing on the very last drive of the game.  

Keep in mind they couldn't hold their 11 point lead.  It just goes like that between these two teams.   No lead is safe.  Period.  

I believe you could play this game a hundred times.  Even simulate it in Madden 2099 (lol).  These two are unstoppable enough that it comes down to who has the ball last.  

I didn't like the decisions either.  But I have major doubts it would have mattered.  

They play the game differently than we do, but there is no separation between these two.  They have damn good defenses, and both offenses are too explosive to contain.  We better start practicing those 50/50 throws though, they have that down to a scientific art.  

But I'll stick by this- Williams had the game in his hands.  

• Applause 1

On 10/14/2023 at 6:58 PM, Mike West said:

We better start practicing those 50/50 throws though, they have that down to a scientific art.  

The way Penix throws with accuracy those 50/50 throws seem more like 90/10 throws. Hopefully we see them again in Las Vegas.

It is true that there was a plethora of bad coaching decisions and bad breaks that put Cam in the pressure situation to tie up the game. Don't mean to be insensitive to the situation, but bad coaching decisions and bad breaks will happen but you have to convert regardless.

Anyways, I'm sure Cam feels worse than any of us. Hope the kid recovers and regains his confidence.

On 10/14/2023 at 4:30 PM, Charles Fischer said:

You have 42 yards, straight ahead, and no wind. This is what you came here for, and what the team needs.

You have the physical ability to do it…

(I placekicked in HS, and this is all mental.)

It barely went wide. I've also played sports. Try hitting 10 free throws in a row. Even in a good head space with tons of practice just about everyone will miss one.

If he'd really shanked it like he did a bunch earlier in his career okay, but a close miss from 42 happens. And he had a little bit of accuracy issues last week. Even golfers have ebbs and flows of their skill. I hope he flows back into the level of accuracy we have grown accustomed to.

• Thumbs Up 1