Pennsylvania Duck

If Chip is Fired, Could Dante Moore Be Fit For Ducks?

Chip Kelly's potential oust at UCLA could lead to major opportunity for Dan Lanning's Ducks

For the Oregon Ducks, that could ultimately be a positive, particularly when it comes to the players who are potentially going to transfer out of the program with a change in the coaching staff.

The most notable of those players is QB Dante Moore, a former 5-star who was committed to the Ducks before offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham left Eugene to take over as the head coach of the Arizona State Sun Devils.

Moore was rated as the No. 4 overall player in the class of 2023, and the No. 3 overall quarterback in the class. So far this season, he has played in 8 games, completing 91 of his 175 passing attempts for 1,344 yards, 10 TDs and 7 INTs.

Whether or not you want to argue that he was thrown into the fire too quickly as a true freshman, or he is not living up to expectations is a conversation we can have, but the more pertinent topic is whether or not Moore would choose to stick around in Los Angeles without the coaching staff that recruited him.

Should he choose to enter the transfer portal, you have to imagine that the former 5-star would give a serious look to Oregon, a team that currently has arguably the best offense in the nation under OC Will Stein.

Moore also has a previous standing relationship with head coach Dan Lanning.

After this year, Bo Nix will be headed off to the NFL, and while former 5-star recruit Ty Thompson is next in line to take over as the starting QB in 2024, it is expected that the Ducks bring in a transfer portal player to compete for the job.

Could that transfer be Moore? We certainly will have to wait and see, but the report of Chip Kelly potentially being out at UCLA makes it seem like more of a possibility.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With news that Chip Kelly may be fired at UCLA, the Oregon Ducks have a major opportunity to benefit when it comes to the transfer...

I personally don't think so. We already have one or two highly rated quarterbacks waiting in the wings behind Ty Thompson. It looks like the Oregon coaching staff is good at developing quarterbacks, so why not stick with young ones who haven't already learned bad habits like Dante Moore? If we take in a quarterback next year through the transfer portal, it should be a veteran with a high upside, not a benched rookie who underperformed

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

I never got a chance to watch him play this year. I do think that he may have been thrown into the fire at UCLA.

If he does go into the portal then I am sure our coaches will have appraised his abilities from this years video tape.

If the coaches think he has a strong upside, then I think you could bring him in and let him compete for the position against everyone else. If he chose to do that, then I would at least respect his competitive nature. 

Let the cream rise to the top. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Might Moore, should he want to transfer, choose ASU and reunite with KD?  Just wondering.  ASU is starting to show some life.

Chip Kelly is washed up. He will always be a sub .500 coach. No serious program will hire him. His best bet is a mountain west program. 

Moore has thrown three pick-sixes this season.  Throws too flat way too often, IMHO.  Don't like his body language...

Only bring in a QB transfer if he is an experienced, proven QB, IMHO, considering the roster damage it could do. 

But then...

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/14/2023 at 6:02 PM, Log Haulin said:

Chip Kelly is washed up. He will always be a sub .500 coach. No serious program will hire him. His best bet is a mountain west program. 

Actually I think he opts for an NFL OC gig.  He hates to recruit.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2023 at 6:02 PM, Log Haulin said:

I always thought Chip Kelly was an Offensive genius and would have been one of the all-time greats if he hadn't reached too far.  He just isn't Head Coach material, evidently.  Should have stayed an O.C.  Maybe he's figured that one out himself by now?

Chip, Helf and Frosty at Boise, low key and Reminds me of Oregon but in Idaho.  Can't recruit to Idaho, so works for Frosty.  Helf doesn't mind being second Fiddle to Chip as long as he gets the OC Title, might help to bring back Aliotti or Azzinaro, you KNOW, the Old Gang.

• Yikes! 1

He should've come to Oregon and learned under Nix before competing for the starting job here.  Instead he chased immediate playing time in UCLA and that hasn't worked out well for him at all.  Even if he goes into the portal I don't think Oregon would take him, they need an experienced transfer to up the competition and he doesn't have enough to bring to the table right now.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2023 at 5:54 PM, Mic said:

Might Moore, should he want to transfer, choose ASU and reunite with KD?  Just wondering.  ASU is starting to show some life.

They have Jayden Rashada who will likely play this weekend.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:25 PM, kirklandduck said:

He should've come to Oregon and learned under Nix before competing for the starting job here.  Instead he chased immediate playing time in UCLA and that hasn't worked out well for him at all.  Even if he goes into the portal I don't think Oregon would take him, they need an experienced transfer to up the competition and he doesn't have enough to bring to the table right now.

True that.  Plus Oregon has lots vested in Ty Thompson right now.  Regarding his choice of UCLA who of Donte's caliber wouldn't want to play for Chip Kelly?  He HAD a pretty amazing reputation of building blazing hot offenses at Oregon.  Once, long ago...

Edited by Mic

Ditto Fishduck's call. 

I like what I have seen this year from Ty. I am not impressed with what I have seen this year from Moore. 

I say that as someone who was firmly in the Butterfield camp when he was still here. 

If Oregon must chase a portal QB, find one with more maturity and a record of success. 

• Applause 1

I've railed against Ty this past year. Rightfully so. But, his play this season has been stratospheric. It looks to me that he is starting to understand the offense and make the correct choices in his progressions. 

Dante has given Oregons coaching staff some reasonable material to work with in evaluating him. I'm totally shooting from the hip, but I wonder if its a good idea to bring in a newbie from the portal for the QB position? Bonix was effectively a senior when he showed up. I would feel more inclined to get an upper classman from a second tier school that has proven himself than a ? mark in Dante. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2023 at 6:58 PM, Mic said:

True that.  Plus Oregon has lots vested in Ty Thompson right now.  Regarding his choice of UCLA who of Donte's caliber wouldn't want to play for Chip Kelly?  He HAD a pretty amazing reputation of building blazing hot offenses at Oregon.  Once, long ago...

If I were in Donte's place I'd be initially excited but then after doing some research I'd realize that Chip's offensive schemes since he came to UCLA don't resemble anything like what he did at Oregon.  That'd be a hard no for me personally.  I wonder if their UCLA's NIL organization backed up the truck for him...

I really hope Oregon doesn't have to mine the transfer portal for another QB but can rely on Ty Thompson instead.  Or Austin Novasad, or whomever from within the program.  I mean, how many guys like Bo Nix are out there?  And how long can a team rely on transfers at the key positions?  

On 11/14/2023 at 10:01 PM, kirklandduck said:

If I were in Donte's place I'd be initially excited but then after doing some research I'd realize that Chip's offensive schemes since he came to UCLA don't resemble anything like what he did at Oregon.  That'd be a hard no for me personally.  I wonder if their UCLA's NIL organization backed up the truck for him...

UCLA was once a marquee program with a rich, historic past.  They probably have more than a few rich and influential donors and a influential media corps built around their sports programs.  After all, they were able to lure Chip there when he left the NFL.  You just know there had to be a lot of other schools that wanted him.  (Maybe not so much now, but that was then).  Donte will probably land on his feet after this blows over.  Chip... maybe not so much.

Lincoln Riley will be looking for a quarterback.   I have no doubt that if he likes Moore, he will be pushing for him to make the move.

I hope Moore has some advisors with game footage of USC's definition of pass protection.

Don't forget, Moore is Detroit kid so he would want a school going into the Big.  

• Applause 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:00 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Lincoln Riley will be looking for a quarterback.   I have no doubt that if he likes Moore, he will be pushing for him to make the move.

I don't think USC even recruited Moore since they got the 5-star QB they preferred (Malachi Nelson) in their last recruiting class.  If they don't feel like Nelson is ready to take over, they would probably be looking for a more proven transfer.

• Thumbs Up 1

UCLA could reportedly fire Chip Kelly after USC game in Week 12, win or lose

A new report claims that Chip Kelly’s time with UCLA is guaranteed to end this season and could come as soon as this week.

There was a time when Chip Kelly was viewed as one of the very best football coaches in the nation. Fifteen years ago he was able to turn Oregon into one of the top programs in the sport and a destination for high-level talent.

Unsurprisingly, he was able to parlay that success into a run in the NFL as the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013.

However, after two strong seasons as head coach, Kelly wore out his welcome in Philly and was sent packing after one losing season.

A failed stint as the head coach for a two-win San Francisco 49ers team in 2016 promptly ended his time in the top football league in the land.

Like many former college coaches who failed in the NFL before him, he eventually made his way back to the college ranks six years ago with UCLA.

Despite his disappointing run in the NFL, Kelly’s arrival at UCLA gave Bruins fans hope that he could bring the same coaching and recruiting magic he showed at Oregon to one of the most prestigious sports schools on the West Coast.

Unfortunately, Kelly’s tenure in Los Angeles has been a serious letdown...

SPORTSNAUT.COM

A new report suggests Chip Kelly being fired by UCLA is guaranteed this year, and could come as early as this week.

What's the chances UCLA upsets (would it be an upset?) USC?  

I watched Dante Moore play a few games this season. He honestly looks like a kid that has serious potential. Yes, some of his throws were flat and ripe for the picking; which clearly happened. But he also showed good ball placement for a true frosh. He's got good instincts. Has legs to scoot if need be as well (which is all we are asking of Bo).

My hang up on him comes with whether or not he is willing to be humbled and taught the right way. Can he handle being told some of his tendencies are wrong? What is his attitude about a true QB competition? Bo came to Oregon and was basically the equivalent of a house remodel (tear down to the bones and rebuild on existing foundation). The difference is that Bo saw the need for a hard reboot and threw all ego out the window.

I would like to see Oregon's coaching staff develop in-house talent over transfers any day. But there is value in transfers for pushing the competition. If this kid is willing to compete and let ego go in favor of development, I don't see why we wouldn't look at him. We wanted him in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see it this way: You bring in HS recruits with the highest ceiling and portal transfers with the highest floor (higher than you project for anybody else on the current roster).

We've already got Ty as our high ceiling potential guy, but his floor could still be too low to compete as a top program, so Dan will bring in a proven successful (relative to their team situation) QB.

I don't see us taking Dante, but maybe the uniqueness of the situation could still make Dan take him plus another transfer portal QB that meets the above criteria and force the lowest on the totem pole to bail after spring ball.

• Applause 1

You have Ty, Novastad, Two QB's in the 24 class, that have not signed yet, while you flirt with Moore. I love what Dan said about aTm HC position but Character goes two ways. You Have it and you Expect it.  Then people Trust you.

Character matters, ask Slick and MarioNoO.  The Picture of a smiling Dan Lanning next to a I could give a rip Dante Moore tells me, CUT BAIT.  Bring in a Veteran QB like Bo to raise the Bar, let the best man win.  But then, how does anyone trust the staff moving forward.  Family, Culture, Character, Trust or just a Coaches Line.

On 11/14/2023 at 8:26 PM, CountryProf said:

I personally don't think so. We already have one or two highly rated quarterbacks waiting in the wings behind Ty Thompson. It looks like the Oregon coaching staff is good at developing quarterbacks, so why not stick with young ones who haven't already learned bad habits like Dante Moore? If we take in a quarterback next year through the transfer portal, it should be a veteran with a high upside, not a benched rookie who underperformed

I agree.. He chose UCLA.  Its one thing to break in a new QB who has been in our system (Thompson) vs having to break in a transfer who has to learn.  

and true, we have a few more coming in as well.  Sorry Dante...  

On 11/14/2023 at 6:23 PM, EzDucksIt said:

Chip, Helf and Frosty at Boise, low key and Reminds me of Oregon but in Idaho.  Can't recruit to Idaho, so works for Frosty.  Helf doesn't mind being second Fiddle to Chip as long as he gets the OC Title, might help to bring back Aliotti or Azzinaro, you KNOW, the Old Gang.

Helfrich isn't coming back to coaching.

He had his dream job and he reached the highest point in his career in 2014 and he is never going back to that height.

He has plenty of money and doesn't need to work but he does seem to enjoy doing some commentary. 

I think he likes not recruiting players, which is what coaches spend by far the most time doing, and I think he likes spending time with his family. 

Personally, I'd be shocked if he returned to coaching. 

I believe there was a story from a year or two back that Kelly was looking for a new OC and Helfrich turned him down outright. 

Scott Frost... He's a maybe though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When it comes to assistant coaching hires I'm leaving it up to DL.

He knows the type of coach he wants and every coach he recruits will be a recruiting zealot.

The coaches on Chipper's staff have not been in the recruiting mix like the folks on DL's staff. I don't believe that Bruins boosters and the university itself have the money to kiss Chip so long. Who is the guy better to replace Chip for the money being paid to Chip?

Compared to Mora, Chip's record is not better and Mora was a far better recruiter. I think UCLA made a mistake letting Jim Mora go. UConn is having a bad season but overall Mora has done a heck of a job at UConn.

As posted before I am far more bullish on OREGON being ready to head into the B1G than UCLA, USC, and UW.