Charles Fischer

Pretty Impressed: ASU GamePlan so Crafty...

My FishDuck Friends, while I am easily amused with humor, and impressed with the smallest items by OBD...Oregon's offensive attack for the Sun Devils was pretty impressive.  So many times we fans will evaluate matchups based on talent, but ignore or are unaware of the differences in coaching and preparation.

ASU had a robust defensive front, and even the Oregon insiders on the radio spoke of how the Sun Devils had problems on offense, but had a stout defense.  Yet, the Oregon offense put 42 up on them in the first half?  Whew!

Like the Texas Tech game where they had strong huge defensive tackles...the game plan was run outside of them.  So you saw a ton of Toss plays, Outside Zone Reads, and flair passes to our running backs in the flat after the WRs took the corners downfield.

Oregon knew that ASU would focus on our favorite TE Terrance Ferguson, thus used him and those outside plays later as a decoy to open up Patrick Herbert. Wowsa.

Once Arizona State got opened up in all directions--then  what happens?  The inside plays now become more open as the linebackers, and edge defenders have become hyper-vigilant towards the perimeter.

It was a masterful GamePlan my friends, so...

We Gotta Savor it!

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

And gives a whole lot of creit to your recent take on Will being the best!

The offensive interferance call was OFFENSIVE!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I missed much of the game as Georgia was playing Tennessee at the same time. What I did see was impressive however. I questioned, however, why the hell Nix and Irving were still in the game much of the second half., Nobody is paying me 6 million a year for my game day decisions, but I saw no need of exposing Bo Nix to the prospect of a horrifying injury in a game where the Ducks were up by six touchdowns. There is simply too much at stake this season for this in my opinion.

If the decision was made to Pad Bo's stats for Heisman candidacy than I'm doubly dubious. Downvote me if you wish (actually I don't think this is possible here), but statistics are for losers, even though they are the metric that many use to grant individual awards.

Having said this, i was also dubious of Kirby Smart's decision to leave QB Carson Beck in the game with Tennessee as long as he did---and for the same reason I questioned the Nix decision. Long-range team goals are far more important than individual ones IMHO.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2023 at 10:09 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I missed much of the game as Georgia was playing Tennessee at the same time. What I did see was impressive however. I questioned, however, why the hell Nix and Irving were still in the game much of the second half., Nobody is paying me 6 million a year for my game day decisions, but I saw no need of exposing Bo Nix to the prospect of a horrifying injury in a game where the Ducks were up by six touchdowns. There is simply too much at stake this season for this in my opinion.

If the decision was made to Pad Bo's stats for Heisman candidacy than I'm doubly dubious. Downvote me if you wish (actually I don't think this is possible here), but statistics are for losers, even though they are the metric that many use to grant individual awards.

Having said this, i was also dubious of Kirby Smart's decision to leave QB Carson Beck in the game with Tennessee as long as he did---and for the same reason I questioned the Nix decision. Long-range team goals are far more important than individual ones IMHO.

Bo played opening series if 2nd half. That's all. He threw a td pass (#7) to TE Ferguson, but refs called a mysterious p/I penalty.

Ty T played rest of game.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Great win by UGA. Bama had a nice nap. How about Auburn?

If you are going to go to the bakery in the penultimate regular season game buy a cupcake and not road Kill.

CUSA likely champ NM State has one hell of a football coach.

On 11/18/2023 at 10:09 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

however, why the hell Nix and Irving were still in the game much of the second half.,

They were only in for a series. 

So not that much time. They chewed up a decent amount of clock in the process. I think it would have been a bit weird if they didn't play at least a series in the second half. 

Lots of twos and threes got to play. Which is when ASU got their 13 points. 

I would say that the coaches balanced the play time about right. The starters were in the second half for probably more time than snaps because they started milking that clock right away. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Charles watching OBD's offense operate against ASU was pure joy for this fan... .

The game plan was executed to near perfection! (Still some penalties and head scratching ref calls that muddied the waters for a play or 2!)

This 2023 Duck O is the perfect storm of a emerging OC, dominant line, powerful, twitchy RB room, outstanding receivers/TE's being stirred and cooked by the most experienced QB ro play CF.

Crafty? Okay.....

Savory? Yes indeed.....

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/18/2023 at 11:13 PM, DanLduck said:

Bo played opening series if 2nd half. That's all. He threw a td pass (#7) to TE Ferguson, but refs called a mysterious p/I penalty.

Ty T played rest of game.

Worst PI penalty. I think that's the kind of crap penalty they call when you're up 42-0.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 3:35 AM, Desert Duck said:

Worst PI penalty. I think that's the kind of crap penalty they call when you're up 42-0.

My thoughts exactly.

The ref who threw the flag was BEHIND TF, so all the ref saw was the defender falling down and assumed it was a PI. 

Terrible call.

• Thumbs Up 3

Kenny D’s post game interview is pure gold.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

When it was 3rd down and 11 yds to go to start the game was anyone else just a wee bit worried, concerned?

The great thing is I am pretty sure no one on the field was worried. The Ducks just executed their masterful gameplan, and put the hurt on the devils.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:10 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Kenny D’s post game interview is pure gold.

Luv Kenny D. And I could not be happier for him that last week ASU finally got rid of their garbage 'Larry Scott Wanna-be AD,' Ray Anderson. That guy, and his scandal ridden tenure, nearly single-handedly ruined the Big-3 ASU sports. 

It's usually not considered a good sign when there are billboard trucks driving around Tempe that said, "#FireRayAnderson."

So glad for Kenny and the ASU program.

F44yIVnaAAA4l2G.jpg

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/19/2023 at 3:35 AM, Desert Duck said:

It cost Bo the stand alone record... And more icing on his Heisman cake.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2023 at 2:26 PM, Jon Sousa said:

It cost Bo the stand alone record... And more icing on his Heisman cake.

Exactly. Not to mention, it was a perfect pass and reception as well.

On 11/19/2023 at 1:26 PM, Jon Sousa said:

It cost Bo the stand alone record

💯.

He’ll just have to get the record against FSU in the Rose Bowl instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2023 at 1:41 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

He’ll just have to get the record against FSU in the Rose Bowl instead.

That would feel so right... especially if we met tOSU in the finals.

Right some wrongs.

• Great post! 1

On 11/19/2023 at 7:23 AM, Haywarduck said:

When it was 3rd down and 11 yds to go to start the game was anyone else just a wee bit worried, concerned?

The great thing is I am pretty sure no one on the field was worried. The Ducks just executed their masterful gameplan, and put the hurt on the devils.

I was... cause it was too early to know how well the Ducks really were prepared to play and would, yet.  

I wa thinking to myself Kenny D. would have a pretty good idea what Oregon may do to try & pick up 11+ yards.  After all, he was the architect of this offense < 1 year ago.  Stein had other ideas perhaps and as Kenny himself said in his great post-game interview: Oregon is just that good.

ASU might have known what was coming but they sure didn't have the horsepower to stop any of it. Amazing.