Log Haulin

Does Dan Lanning Have a Kalen Deboer Problem?

Kalen Deboer is 2-0 vs. Dan Lanning. Oregons biggest rival has beaten them in heart breaking fashion in those two meetings. Kalen DeBoer's coaching chops is a big factor in those Duck losses.

Both Lanning and DeBoer are brilliant coaches imo. Dan, in his second year as a head coach, is 21-4 and Deboer is 102-11(90ish% winning record) in his nine year coaching career. 

I hate the Huskies, I hope Deboer gets an ingrown hair in his nose hole today. But I have a tremendous amount of respect for DeBoer.

Deboer is a winner everywhere he goes. And he has out coached Lanning in two meetings. His experience of 9 years over Lannings 2 matters. How does Lanning overcome that gap in experience?

These losses have been by very slim margins regardless of the gaps in coaching experience. Lanning has proven, in my mind anyhow, that he can coach at the highest levels.

Lanning has a chance to mirror Chip Kelly first two regular season records at 10-3 and 12-1 with a win today. Chip was brilliant at Oregon and Lanning is looking to match.

DeBoer is a problem for Lanning. Dan hasn't been able to get over that hump. I guarantee you this is at the front of Lannings mind as a motivator for coach to grab 1% as a coach. 

I like Dans chances putting this issue to rest today. He has this team playing the best football a Duck team has possibly ever played. They are focused.

The analytics favor Oregon. The talent gap and depth favor Oregon. The game is being played on a neutral site. 

Coaching? I hate to say it but I think the edge goes to Washington. But I think the margin is thin. It got much thinner after/since Oct 14th.

These are both great teams  that are extreamly well coached. Both fan bases are proud and excited for todays Pac-12 Championship game.

The growth mindset Dan preaches needs to come to fruition for Lanning as a coach today. I feel Lanning will finally beat his (developing) coaching nemesis today. Become elite today coach and beat DeBoer and the Huskies.

Go Ducks!

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's not just Dan Lanning.  As I pointed out in another post, DeBoer is 102-11 over 9 seasons as a Head Coach.  That's impressive at any level.  At the D-I level he's 35-8.  One could make the argument (I won't) that he's the better coach than Dan Lanning.  But this rivalry is just getting started.  Tonight Dan makes if 1-2 against DeBoer.

Edited by Mic
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Our previous coach would have attributed the defeats to just needing more juice on game day, and more talent overall. Dan Lanning, I can assure you, sees the issue as much more complex.

Lanning attacked the issues last year with specific talent acquisition. He didn't just go after the highest rated players, he knew what he was looking for and went after them, transfers, or recruits.

Lanning also learned he shouldn't run the qb as much. This may have hurt him against the dawgs this year, but we have a healthy qb. He is also calling a better game, and making better in game adjustments.

I think Lanning mainly has an experience deficit he is filling fast. He also took over a program which wasn't like what CK took over. 

CK took over a program he was almost already in control of and it was ready for his guidance, no overhaul needed.  Lanning took over a program which was ready for his guidance, but an overhaul was needed.

My bet is Lanning is going to show he doesn't have a DeBoer problem, much like he showed he doesn't have a Johnathan Smith problem. I will agree both of those coaches may have been ahead of Lanning at some point, but that time has past!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 12/1/2023 at 8:40 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think Lanning mainly has an experience deficit he is filling fast. He also took over a program which wasn't like what CK took over. 

This is what I attribute the previous loss to and what I think gives DeBoer an edge over Dan Lanning.  

It will be interesting to see how DeBoer plays this game because everyone including him saw the superiority of Dan's team over Kalen's.  I expect DeBoer to have a plan to address the talent difference and present a different angle for the Ducks to face.

I have thought about this topic some. Husky fans like to say Lanning was out coached. Other than the wins, I can't really think back and go wow, great coaching there by Deboer. I am not saying Deboer isn't a great coach, I think he is.  I just don't understand the narrative that the losses suffered by Lanning came as a result of Deboer having a better scheme or in game adjustments. I don't see the difference in either game being due to some form of Deboer superiority in coaching.  Maybe my Duck lenses are causing a blind spot, but when I watch these teams play each other I don't conclude that one is better coached than the other.

If anything, I see that Deboer has a team with strengths in our weakness, that being primarily, the play of our DB's especially safeties. 

I think time will tell the difference as each coach is faced with maintaining their winning ways. Who recruits and develops the better roster? Next year will give a really good idea as to which coach will be able to continue their winning ways.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:52 AM, Fannah Montana said:

I don't see the difference in either game being due to some form of Deboer superiority in coaching.

It's not, imo, what DeBoer has done. More what he hasn't done. Lanning has made decisions that didn't work out. Many called them "rookie". DeBoer has not made the same mistakes Dan has.

DeBoer has done more with less in terms of utilizing the talent he has on his roster.

Lanning has done more with less in terms of acquiring talent in a state that doesn't have much locally.

DeBoer's Coordinators have out schemed us in both games both coming into the game and in game adjustments.

That being said, I do think that since the last game Lanning has been closing the game in maximizing talent and Coordinator scheming.

OC Grub nearly blew the game against WSU calling passes when runs were in order, and UW fans have been saying his play calling has been very inconsistent, like the rest of the team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lanning in some ways has a reckless aggressiveness problem. Just most teams haven't been able to punish him for it. 

I think Lanning has done a good job following the most recent loss to Washington to temper some of his aggression. He has opted for some field goals in situations where he may have gone for it in the past. 

I also think part of that also comes with the defense really coming into its own. I feel some of Lanning's offensive aggression stemmed from not wanting to put the game on the defense's shoulders to win it. 

I think if he was in the same situation as the end of the last game against Washington where he can choose between going for it on 4th down at midfield or punt... I think he punts and doesn't hesitate to put the game on the defense to end it. Oregon simply hasn't been burned as badly this season defensively following the Washington loss. 

Maybe you can say USC... but Caleb Williams made plays happen that any other quarterback, including Penix, wouldn't have made. 

I will say I love how Lanning plays to win and not just play to not lose. For more on this concept I wrote an article before his first game last year. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Playing to win requires some risk taking. It will require Dan Lanning to take some shots, some of which will fail — but it is the mentality he needs if he is…

We will see if Lanning truly has a DeBoer problem following the result of this game. If Oregon loses, then absolutely yes. If Oregon wins... I think this rivalry shifts to Oregon being in the driver's seat for the foreseeable future. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Does Lanning have a DeBoer problem?

Not for long!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Being outcoached is relative. 

Not making mistakes while your opposition gambles and loses is being out coached by basically doing nothing.

Last year, the injury to Bo was the difference.  The reason he was injured was Dillingham going to the well one time too many as we ran the same play and it worked for a TD the first time, second time the LB was waiting for it.  That is being out coached DC vs OC.

One thing in the game this year that I think is overlooked is DeBoer going for the 2-point conversion.  They make it by about an inch with Dorius just missing batting the ball down.  It then snowballed when Dan went for the TD at the half. If they had missed the xp and only lead 20 - 18, Dan surely would have opted for the FG at the half for a 1-point lead.  That gamble was successful for them and not us.

Later, they we stuffed 4th and goal which could have put the game away.  That gamble didn't work for them as we later took the lead.

On 12/1/2023 at 9:41 AM, Solar said:

DeBoer has done more with less in terms of utilizing the talent he has on his roster.

Lanning has done more with less in terms of acquiring talent in a state that doesn't have much locally.

DeBoer's Coordinators have out schemed us in both games both coming into the game and in game adjustments.

That being said, I do think that since the last game Lanning has been closing the game in maximizing talent and Coordinator scheming.

OC Grub nearly blew the game against WSU calling passes when runs were in order, and UW fans have been saying his play calling has been very inconsistent, like the rest of the team.

I agree with you, Solar.  It seems to me that starting with the Utah game, the Ducks have really been on point as a group of coaches in game prep, and the players have executed the game plan at a fairly high level.  

Hopefully, that excellent pre-game prep by all of the position coaches, and the team prep and motivation overseen by Lanning will be apparent again tonight.  If the game is close into the 4th qtr, the question will be: can Lanning and his staff make the necessary adjustments, and can the team settle in and execute in the clutch.  Washington is undefeated because, despite their flaws, they have executed in the clutch (with a little help by the refs in the ASU game!).  Oregon needs to match, or exceed that tonight . . . 

On 12/1/2023 at 9:46 AM, David Marsh said:

I will say I love how Lanning plays to win and not just play to not lose

Interesting, I have heard some chatter that Washington has been playing not to lose for several games now. Makes sense when you look at how the past 6 have played out.

0-2 with 2 losses by a total of 6 points. DL does need to get the better of DeBoer but it's not like UW has throttled the Ducks.

I believe this 'problem' disappears this evening.

Great interview

• Thumbs Up 1

It appears Lanning has a Deboer problem

• Great post! 1

You called it Log Haulin.

On 12/1/2023 at 8:44 PM, Log Haulin said:

Yep, caught flat footed, reacting not acting like the leader.

DeBoer caught lightning in a bottle with Pennix and 3 NFL receivers. I don’t think that will be the case next season.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 9:41 AM, Solar said:

I completely agree, Solar.  No question in my mind that DeBoer is a better coach.  But I think he may be top 3 in the country.

Absolutely 

On 12/1/2023 at 8:44 PM, Log Haulin said:

Both teams have a large number of transfers.

It's like Deboer get the players to believe they are Huskies and truly want to destroy the ducks and Dan gets our players to believe the rivalry is important to the Oregon program and fans so we don't want to lose.

No. Oregon has a Washington problem. Much like their Stanford problem of the early 2010’s. They don’t match up well with potent passing offenses. We just didn’t know it because there are no other potent passing offenses that we play besides Washington. USC has a great QB and a couple of decent WR’s, but no defense and no OL. I have a feeling we would’ve had problems with Arizona had we played them.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2023 at 8:48 PM, Haywarduck said:

Yep, caught flat footed, reacting not acting like the leader.

The players were flat footed for the first 20 minutes, reactive instead of attacking. A reflection of their leader I guess.

These big game losses hurt. 0-3 to uw. We wasted the entire 1st quarter, managed to win the middle 8, then collapsed. Burch going out on the first series was a killer for our D. But, we got out coached all the way around. Why did we onside kick with 2:14 and all 3 timeouts? Why?

Im heart broken.

• Thumbs Up 2

You can spot Stanford the first 20 minutes of a game, but not the Huskies. 

The Huskies clearly own the Ducks. 

On 12/1/2023 at 8:58 PM, Solar said:

The players were flat footed for the first 20 minutes, reactive instead of attacking. A reflection of their leader I guess.

Give credit to the Husky coaches.  Oregon schemes to take away the deep throws.  Washington was prepared to take the short quick routes and run more.

Great game between two great teams!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:00 PM, JMac said:

These big game losses hurt. 0-3 to uw. We wasted the entire 1st quarter, managed to win the middle 8, then collapsed. Burch going out on the first series was a killer for our D. But, we got out coached all the way around. Why did we onside kick with 2:14 and all 3 timeouts? Why?

Im heart broken.

I know a loss is a loss, but it's not like we were blown out by UW in any of our previous games under DL.

I was thinking the same thing about the onside kick. However, even if the ball was kicked deep, the way UW's passing game was going, and our D seemingly having no answer for it, that would have just delayed the inevitable unfortunately IMHO. Plus UW's offense is that good that they can score a TD literally in just one play.

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Lanning is a young coach, let’s see how he responds to this loss and season. My feeling is he’s going to grow, becoming a force as a head coach.

I don’t like to see our Ducks fail, I hope this season and these losses lead to Lanning and his staff) growing as coaches.

I’m excited to see what year 3 brings.

How fun would it be to pull Ohio State in our bowl game. Beating them would be a nice way to say hello to our new conference.

• Go Ducks! 1

Silver lining, we weren't 12 - 0 going into the game.

I think the onside was the right call.  Two first downs wins it no matter where they are on the field.

• Thumbs Up 3

Husky went 13-0. I tip my cap. Respect. 

• Thumbs Up 3

OK.

I am ill and had enough.  Thread closed.

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck