Babyjesus615

Civil War Renewed For 2024 And Beyond

Looks like the details have been worked out to continue the Civil War for next season and beyond. With all the drama OSU has brought on this season, do we really want this going forward?

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/football/oregon-vs-oregon-state-rivalry-will-continue-in-2024-and-beyond-per-report

Nothing wrong with scheduling an easy win!

• Thumbs Up 1

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

The only logical reason for this absolutely stupid idea would be pressure coming from above.  The state?  Boosters?  It has to be.  In what world is it a good idea to cancel a power conference team (who we have already completed the away portion of the "home and away") at home to go play at Reser arena?

I really want to believe that Mullins want to never play OAC again.  Those above him might have other ideas.

I am starting to doubt that Oregon can handle success.

• Applause 1

We will have many games against power conference teams.  We NOW in the Big.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was either OSU or PSU...kinda a toss up.

• Haha 2

Growing up in Oregon, I think it's a great tradition to keep going!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

This has been an incredibly tumultuous time for Pac-12 members. In time, tempers will wane.

In the end, this game is good for the state of Oregon and the fans of both programs.

Besides, my experience being a little brother growing up, clearly little brothers are fun to pick on. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 12/6/2023 at 6:45 PM, Log Haulin said:

This has been an incredibly tumultuous time for Pac-12 members. In time, tempers will wane.

In the end, this game is good for the state of Oregon and the fans of both programs.

Besides, my experience being a little brother growing up, clearly little brothers are fun to pick on. 

Lol, I too am a little brother.  I can say with certainty that my brother and his friends loved picking on me.  I was 3 years younger, close enough that I’d fight but not close enough to win the fight 😂🤣😂.  

My big brother passed when he was 35, your post brought back some good memories!  I miss him, even if he did beat the crap out of me growing up!!!

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does this mean we lose a home game from the 2024 schedule?

That sucks and makes me hate the beavers more. 

• Yikes! 1

On 12/6/2023 at 2:30 PM, DC Featherbutt said:

In what world is it a good idea to cancel a power conference team (who we have already completed the away portion of the "home and away") at home to go play at Reser arena?

I heard that Texas Tech will play Oregon the week before and the BSU game has been pushed.

If you look at the schedule we had a ton of home games scheduled for next year but something like 5 the following week. This will help to balance it out a bit. 

Oregon State is losing players and coaches.  It’s not going to be the same team we’ve played the past few seasons. 

On 12/6/2023 at 3:22 PM, Lono said:

Growing up in Oregon, I think it's a great tradition to keep going!

Me. This. Tough game or not - I don't like seeing 125 year old traditions die because of conference realignments.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2023 at 6:00 PM, Mic said:

Me. This. Tough game or not - I don't like seeing 125 year old traditions die because of conference realignments.  

My objection is NOT over conference realignment.  It is because they already have been overpaid millions for decades beyond their value to the conference, and now they fully intend to "take control of the conference" and take the 35 million Oregon earned in media dollars.

You do not enable bad behavior.  Give us what we earned, and then we talk about the games.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/6/2023 at 5:24 PM, OregonDucks said:

I heard that Texas Tech will play Oregon the week before and the BSU game has been pushed.

If you look at the schedule we had a ton of home games scheduled for next year but something like 5 the following week. This will help to balance it out a bit. 

Oregon State is losing players and coaches.  It’s not going to be the same team we’ve played the past few seasons. 

According to John Canzano, Texas Tech will play Washington State instead of Oregon. Boise State agreed to play us a week earlier and Oregon State will play us the week originally scheduled for BSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't Oregon State fans say they never wanted to play Oregon again? Or that it would have to be a 2 for 1 in their favor? Seems like reality is settling in about now with that MWC scheduling agreement.

Once their buddies in Pullman found a way to continue the Apple Cup, it was a matter of time. This favors them more than Oregon. They aren't getting nationally relevant Big-10 teams going up to Corvallis.

On 12/6/2023 at 6:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My objection is NOT over conference realignment.  It is because they already have been overpaid millions for decades beyond their value to the conference

True; however, wasn’t there also a time when our Ducks were most likely an overpaid have-not?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is really too bad. I hope all of games versus them are in September or August. I don't see why we could not have simply played them twice a decade or every 4 years.

I have almost zero sympathy for Oregon State. Easy-ish non-con game, I guess. We'll have to tone down scheduling bigger programs until we can cancel this agreement.

Edited by 2002duck

Still need a few cupcakes on the schedule, even if they are a Mountain West team now lol

Due to the circumstances, not in full agreement to preserve the rivalry.

WATCH: Scott Van Pelt reacts to report that Civil War will continue between Ducks and Beavers

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

ESPN’s Scott Van Pelt reacted to the report that the Civil War between the Oregon Ducks and Oregon State Beavers will continue in 2024.

On 12/6/2023 at 6:33 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My objection is NOT over conference realignment.  It is because they already have been overpaid millions for decades beyond their value to the conference, and now they fully intend to "take control of the conference" and take the 35 million Oregon earned in media dollars.

You do not enable bad behavior.  Give us what we earned, and then we talk about the games.

I'm only looking at this from the fan side of things, not the $$ side.  That, I know very little about and expect the courts will have their say about that.  If Stanford or USC and Notre Dame can make a tradition of their rivalries (which never involved conference play because ND was never in one) why not OSU-UO?  That was my only point.  

Edited by Mic

The following table shows the percentage of wins by coach against our historical rivals, Oregon State and Washington.  As you can see, Dan Lanning is in last place:

Coach Years PCT
Kelly 4 100%
Cristibal 4 86%
Helfrich 4 75%
Bellotti 14 63%
Brooks 18 51%
Taggart 1 50%
Read 3 50%
Enright 2 50%
Frei 5 30%
Casenova 16 27%
Lanning 2

20%

The rivalry with Oregon State is over, from this point forward it is only a cupcake game.  At one time Idaho was a member of the Pacific Coast Conference (PCC).  When the old PCC got reformed into the PAC-8, Idaho was left out.  Oregon continued to play Idaho annually for a number of years and then occasionally thereafter.  After 23 straight Oregon wins, we do not play Idaho anymore.  Oregon State is the new Idaho.  Oregon State is no longer on an equal footing with Oregon.  They lost their conference, their coach, current starters, future revenue, and will losing their power 5 status, and future recruits.  How many years will Oregon State lose to Oregon before sanity returns?

What will be the new rivalry?  Washington only? Does Michigan or tOSU become a rival?  

Regardless, Dan Lanning has not arrived when it comes to beating Oregon's rivals.

Washington IMO is the rival now. Drop a home game to play in Corvallis against the G5.2. Why?

Every season in the B1G will finish with a game vs. UW. Often with a B1G champ game and a playoff bid on the line.

Help someone out who is suing you and calls you everything but a red-headed stepchild. There's charity, and then there is this.

I feel bad for the small business people in Eugene/Springfield who are going to miss a payday because of this decision. The folks who already had room deposits down for the Texas Tech game.

What kind of reception do you think Oregon fans will receive in Corvallis from unspooled Beavers fans?

I hope it will not matter that Rob swapped a home game vs. a P4 opponent for a MW opponent when Boise is already on the schedule.

Rob is being paid a $1M plus including his bonus for this?  

BTW, check out the record of many UW teams that former Oregon coaches owned. Before DeBoer and other than for Coach Pete, the UW record was ugly.

It's a new day with a new conference rival.

Edited by Jon Joseph