Charles Fischer

Well Now! New Rumors About Dante Moore and OREGON...

Not confirmed, but a ton of smoke.  Dante now sees the value of a year of development, (He realizes that being CFB QB is harder than he thought it would be) and wants to go somewhere to learn, and OREGON is a candidate.

Rumor is...they are trying to line up an official visit for him to Eugene for next weekend. This would be QUITE the QB room at Oregon!

And yes, Ty Thompson has been informed before any of this occurred, and he is considering his choices at the moment.

No. 3?  I wonder how Joey would feel about that...

Pac-12 Football: Dante Moore joins 4 others on All-American watchlist

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

BTW...I have not been a Moore fan this year, but Dano knows best.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I feel terrible for TT. He has put in a lot of hard work only to have a turd dumped on him. You don't do what he did at the Elite 11 and not have talent. I hope he finds a good landing spot and does well. Never heard any negativity out of him and he seems to be a super upstanding and positive person.

• Applause 1

I hope Ty surprises people if he leaves. I think he would surprise many if he stayed, but respect his journey, stand up guy!

Whatever is happening, Lanning is getting Oregon ready to compete next year, and years to come, love it!

images.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ty Thompson should definitely transfer.  I hope that TT finds a good spot and kills it (unless they play Oregon).  He has a lot of talent (e.g., strong arm, mobility, size) and just needs to get on the field to prove it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I could see him going to a school like Baylor or TT. Maybe even WA.

It isn't all bad, I'm guessing TT received a pretty amazing education along the way.  I think us fans lose sight it's football first. 

If that's the case, I think DL and staff haven't seen enough to allow TT take over the starting QB job which means he's obviously not NFL ready.  If it isn't about football, he's going to get a job that will probably be very lucrative and long standing with the help of Oregon and last longer than a career in the NFL.

He can either stick around and fight or move on.  There's still nothing wrong with fighting for something you want is there?

• Like 1

As do most of us, I appreciate and only wish the best for Ty.  I hope he gets a full half in at Fiesta Bowl to show his stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

And TT just posted a cryptic tweet.

No words, just this photo. 

GA7HprwbsAAlQRq.jpeg.dd96770ce1aa54cfd9e98af11b740100.jpeg

• Salute 1

That would "seem" to be pretty revealing and understandable of TT thoughts,

For almost everyone in the OBD family, TT is liked and respected for his athleticism and loyalty to the program. We have all seen him play well in mop up duty, but the game never seemed to slow down for him to read the defense, make changes at the LOS, rapidly go through his progressions and use the pocket to his advantage. 

That posting of him walking out of Autzen with the helmets on the shelf seems pretty straightforward. If he does indeed hit the portal, he should go to a program without immediate CFP aspirations, one that will let him start and develop his game. I for one would give the kid a standing ovation and wish him only the best wherever he lands.

• Great post! 1

A new program could be just the jolt TT requires to finally take charge of himself. Wish him well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Word is he is in the portal.

Mario loved him.  I also think Mario was a bit taken in by his star rating.

I hope for the best for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2023 at 11:30 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

...but the game never seemed to slow down for him to read the defense, make changes at the LOS, rapidly go through his progressions and use the pocket to his advantage. 

I know this is a popular opinion but again... I have to disagree. IMO, the only thing Ty  lacking is snap count. He has never gotten on the field this year for meaningful, prolonged drives. How could he with Bo Nix sitting in front of him. But Ty's numbers are solid this year 

Last year Ty got in the game when Bo got injured and it wasn't pretty. It seems that sceen has been played on a loop in fans minds ever since.

Last year came in the wake of Mario's staff being the development of Ty as a QB. Everyone here knows what that is. Look at TVD and Herbert as an example. One goes to the league and balls out, the other goes from frosh of the year to... Meh! 

Ty Thompson has gotten a raw deal. DL is paid $7m a year to win football games. Can't blame him for grabbing an experienced asset in Gabriel. But no matter how you slice it, it craps all over Thompson.

The education slant doesn't really play. TT is a former 5* who didn't get developed by MC and got stuck behind Nix. Massive bummer. But if education is the prize, Ty could have done the same thing at UW or Furd. Heck, He probably would have started at  Furd or OSU.

So the bottom line for me is Ty Thompson got short strawed. It's unfortunate for sure. But I am not going to sit here and say the guy can't play. That just adds insult to injury. The guy can play, I have no doubt about that. I bet his teammates have no doubt either.

I hope Ty goes and finds a starting role on a good team in 24'. Hope he catches lighting in a bottle and gets an invite to NY next December. Then secures himself a first round contract in the League. He has all the skill set and size to do exactly that.

Don't know what else Lanning and Oregon could have done, but man, what a raw deal for the man. 

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1

I’m getting used to this stuff but it doesn’t mean I like it. If the kids want money then they need to ball out and make a spot for themselves. The top schools are not giving participation trophies out and I don’t ever think that’s going to change.

Loved his loyalty to the Ducks which is a rare thing in itself. Hope he goes to a school where he won’t have to sit but can’t be sure where that is.

Good luck young man.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2023 at 12:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

BTW...I have not been a Moore fan this year, but Dano knows best.

Charles, I think that Chip did a terrible job with the young man's development. 

He did throw for quite a few yards in limited action but he was an INT machine. 

The entire Bruins O and there were injuries at the QB position, seemed to be out of sync this season.

DTR was a terrific college QB and he has played well for the Browns. 

Chips buyout drops significantly in mid-December. UCLA to date has 11 commits in the 2024 class. The UCLA AD is not happy about this and is also not happy with Chip's relationship with Bruins boosters. Still lots of good coaching candidates out there including Liberty's Chadwell. 13-0 at Liberty and a lot of success at Coastal Carolina. 

It also doesn't help that Chip's DC who put a solid D on the field at UCLA in 2023 is headed crosstown to USC.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree that TT never got the game snaps to fully test his play, and we'll probably never know how successful he could have been at Oregon. It is a raw deal. However even with more snaps this year it struck me that he was not moving well in the pocket and tended to lock on to his primary receiver.

We never got to see how he played in practice. All reports were that he had the faith of his teammates and coaches. Maybe he would have performed well if Bo had gone down. The fact is that Oregon has now gone into the portal to get another experienced plug and play QB and are entertaining adding Moore as well. Fair or not, it speaks volumes about what the coaching staff believes is the future of the Duck QB room.

I would be happy to see TT excel wherever he goes and hope he does.

Thompson is too much of an unknown for any P5 school to bring him in as their no. 1 QB.  Would make more sense for him to put up eye popping numbers at a lower tier school (i.e Nevada Reno), then be courted by any number of majors for his sr season.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2023 at 3:13 PM, Just Ducky said:

I’m getting used to this stuff but it doesn’t mean I like it. If the kids want money then they need to ball out and make a spot for themselves. The top schools are not giving participation trophies out and I don’t ever think that’s going to change.

Loved his loyalty to the Ducks which is a rare thing in itself. Hope he goes to a school where he won’t have to sit but can’t be sure where that is.

Good luck young man.

Great comment. Watching the Army-Navy game. Dad was a WW2 Tin Can sailor in the South Pacific so, Go Navy! Beat Army!

The 4 schools already paying players who are all already professionals: Air Force Academy; Army: Coast Guard Academy; and Navy

Once upon a time, the Army/Navy pros played at the top echelon of college football, and Army/Navy players won the Heisman Trophy.

The more things change?

On 12/9/2023 at 1:37 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great comment. Watching the Army-Navy game. Dad was a WW2 Tin Can sailor in the South Pacific so, Go Navy! Beat Army!

The 4 schools already paying players who are all already professionals: Air Force Academy; Army: Coast Guard Academy; and Navy

Once upon a time, the Army/Navy pros played at the top echelon of college football, and Army/Navy players won the Heisman Trophy.

The more things change?

My pop was an infantry man in the South Pacific for over 4 years. Had some very terrifying stories. He and his war buddies had reunions yearly and he wrote a book called the pissers which you can see at camp Wittington. Those guys were loyal to each other till the day they died.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Thumbs Up 1

The one thing about Moore that I like is that he has an NFL QB body. Big dude.  If he can accept mop up duties to hone his skill set, then he is a solid guy to have in the wings. 

He also would have the most game experience in case of injury. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Although I regret what happened to Ty, I trust the coaching staff's decision on Gabriel. 

I am skeptical regarding Moore, for these reasons:  

1. He backed out of his commitment to the UO.

2. He was a turnover machine at UCLA.

3. He must have been recruited by Dillingham, not Stein. Based on past experience, we are probably better off sticking with protegees of the current OC. 

4. Physical gifts are a prerequisite but not a guarantee of success. Ty was also physically gifted, but apparently never developed sufficiently to win the trust of the staff. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't want the wishy-washy dude anywhere near my Ducks.

In 2023, Moore threw for 1,601 yards, 114 - 213, 11 TDs, and 9 INTS. 53%.

Not good numbers but the young man was thrown to the wolves and played for a bad offense. 43rd in O production. Not a good showing with UCLA's 3 OOC cupcakes and missing Oregon and UW schedule.

None of the 3 QBs who started for UCLA had a good season.

I do not see this being all on Moore. Chip's O was bad no matter which QB started. 

In my opinion with a season of being coached by Stein, he will markedly improve. All the physical tools are there.

If DL and Stein want him, I am not going to second guess.

• Thumbs Up 3