Charles Fischer

Canzano Has Gone Completely Wacko: 'Pac-12 Fans AGREE OSU & WSU Should Be in Control'

His article this morning is a desperate attempt to control the narrative for the Pac-2, while ignoring the Greatest Theft of Media Revenue in history.

"I find it interesting that the fan bases of the 10 departing schools appear to agree that WSU and OSU should be in control of the conference."

How stupid, blind or pathetic; he is trying to tell us how we should feel? Oh wait...it gets better...

"Also, that the Cougars and Beavers are entitled to the Pac-12’s future assets."  Really, the fan bases of all 10 departing schools truly feel this way?  He has never once covered the truth of what I wrote about recently, because it would destroy his narrative.

FISHDUCK.COM

I am sick of the pretentious articles by John Canzano and other writers who portray the Beavers as the aggrieved party in the Pac-12 dissolution…

• Great post! 2

Mr. FishDuck

On an amusing side note...when looking up my article to place in the post above--I ran into a site that linked my article, and there were 54 comments, of which most were vile hate directed at me personally, without actually addressing the truth in the article.

The marketplace proved the Beavers are the value of a Mountain West team.

The Beavers have been over-paid by tens of millions for decades relative to their actual value.

Oregon State wants to steal the vast majority of what the conference has earned in years past and now the present.

Now, I'm a big-boy who knows what the deal is when you write strong-opinion articles like that, thus it is just WATER-OFF-A-DUCK.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I was pretty shocked when I read that. This really hurts his credibility in my book, I wonder where he finds these supposed Pac-12 "fans" that feel this way. Controlling the direction of the conference is one thing, taking all the proceeds earned by the 10 departing teams is another. Seems to me he's just making stuff up, either that or he's just completely tone deaf.

I never would pay for his content anyway but I just unsubscribed to his free stuff.

• Mic drop 1

Never have I liked John Con-zano.

Crap-zano we used to say.  Earning the moniker again

Born in Eugene and grew up a Duck  Stormed the field at Parker Stadium when we beat the Beavs and went to the Rose Bowl, which I also attended.  

That said, I respectfully disagree with this post.  I believe Canzano to be correct.  We, and nine others, left the conference.  No one made us leave.  It was a better deal for us.  

Another way to look at it:  What if USC, UCLA, and the “four corners” schools left (as they did), leaving us and the five remaining schools as the “Pac 6?”  Imagine if there were no invitations to other conferences for any of the remaining 6.  We would now be the “Pac 6.”  Would we feel as though we owed a thing to the schools that left?  Should USC or any of the others have any say or claim on the “Pac 6?”  No. They left for greener pastures.  What remained of the conference would belong to the remaining members.  

I think this is how OSU and WSU feel, and if I put myself in their shoes I would feel the same way.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sorry, but I cannot get upset about this whole situation. When USC and UCLA left for the B1G, the remaining ten teams told USC and UCLA that they had lost their voting rights.  At that time, I agreed with that decision by the ten remaining teams.

Once eight of the remaining ten teams decided to leave that left the PAC2. I like to stay consistent in my belief of what is right and wrong. Thus, I believe that OSU and WSU deserve to control the PAC2. I'm not going to change my opinion of what is right just because it would help OBD.

The courts will decide on how the money will be dispersed. The court decision can take months or even years, so I will continue to enjoy OBD without worrying about the courts future decisions. OSU and WSU are doing exactly what any other university would do given their circumstances. Thus, I hold no ill will towards the Beavers in this matter. I am looking forward to the Civil War games in all sports.

I appreciate this forum for allowing the posting of opposing opinions. Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I deleted Canzano long ago.....

On 12/17/2023 at 5:32 PM, TexasDuck said:

I think this is how OSU and WSU feel, and if I put myself in their shoes I would feel the same way.  

You are dealing with big topic, while I am referring to what Canzano just wrote.  He is stating how ALL of the fans of 10 departing schools feel.  Do you think that is accurate?

On 12/17/2023 at 5:36 PM, JB89 said:

I am looking forward to the Civil War games in all sports.

I think if your name was smeared on a personal basis by so many Beavers fans as mine has been....you might feel differently!

JB89: 
I appreciate this forum for allowing the posting of opposing opinions. Go Ducks!

Amen Duck-Brother.  We disagree on this, but I too love how we can vociferously disagree without it becoming personal.  We state our opinions, and that is it.  

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think a couple of things are being conflated here. My guess is many agree that the PAC-2 should be in charge of the “conference” going forward, and they are entitled to “future” revenue. That’s future, like NEXT year. Revenue earned THIS year?  That’s not theirs to use as they wish. They are entitled to protection regarding sharing any current obligations, such as the overpayments made to the conference in the past, but beyond that, they are entitled to their 1/12 share each, I’m hoping the judge who is overseeing this transfer sees fairness as important as protecting these two weak programs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Clown-Zano.

The problem with all this is the bylaws were designed for one team leaving, no precedent should be applicable with 10 of 12 members leaving, it’s not apples to apples. 

That being said, do whatever they want with the rebranded Mountain West…the riding on coattails ends in July, until then, pay up.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Canzano knows where his bread is buttered and also knows that after this year he will be trying to appeal to the Mtn West and Pac 2 fans. It's too bad, I was actually starting to enjoy his writing years after he had that fixation on Bellotti's son.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2023 at 7:17 PM, Buzby said:

Canzano knows where his bread is buttered and also knows that after this year he will be trying to appeal to the Mtn West and Pac 2 fans. It's too bad, I was actually starting to enjoy his writing years after he had that fixation on Bellotti's son.

So there are more OSU/WSU fans than Oregon fans?  He thinks he is going to appeal to both?

Who wants to read about a Mountain West+ conference?  

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Clownzingo is all about clicks.  Always has been in my mind.  I stopped reading ANYTHING he had to say years ago.  Don't let anything he says get to you, Charles.  His opinion doesn't travel very far (if it really IS his opinion and not just click bait).

I believe that the two schools should control the PAC-2-minus-10 AFTER the contract year... and certainly not the earned income from this fiscal year.  The court ruling is not only unfair, but in my mind a miscarriage of law.  But then my opinion and $8 might get you a glass of water at Starbucks.

AMEN! What a crock of spit and I so stated in my comment to this way-off-base take by Canzano. 

Please don't try and tell me that the Pac-2 was screwed. The two teams have been sucking off better Pacific conference teams for decades and the marketplace has spoken. You, Sirs, are big-time unworthy.

Thieves using a loophole is all that these 2 are. Seth Pecksniff is the Dickensian character who best exemplifies these money-grubbing unctuous thieves. But you have to be educated to relate to this reference that is flying over thieving heads in Corvallis and Pullman.

And Mullens dropped a P4 home game to play OSU on the road? Rob, you are right up there with Dicken's Dumb Dora.

Sorry, but I am in a Scrooge-like spirit.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Applause 2

So if the ten departing programs felt that way, why did Washington file a countersuit? If he is saying the ten departing members fan base wants the two to have it all, that's a bold faced lie.

Journalistic integrity is nearly extinct. People don't do their research. They lead with emotion, not facts. If you choose to disagree with them, or dare question their source. Holy Smoke!!!

That's why I enjoy when the media gets called out. They are so thin skinned, but have no issue calling out kids that have done nothing but give their all to continue their dream.

Canzano is a shill, I already know he has an agenda. He makes high school bloggers look unbiased. I've seen these guys talk about free speech and fair use when questioned about their work.

But when you are a professional getting paid to inform the reader, you need to present facts first. Let the reader digest the straight unfiltered facts. Like saying Bo Nix threw for 400 yards, but only 80 came in the second half. That may lead you to understand why Oregon blew a lead.

The opposite of this is saying that Bo was just terrible. He threw 3 interceptions, missed several reads. He should have been benched in the third. It's all his fault, and there was no reason to leave him out there.

Well possibly the reason he was out there was due to 320 first half yards. Possibly the opponent began generating pressure differently. Perhaps it wasn't all Bo's fault.

Edited by Sunshine Larry
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

There it is again.  Billionaires and Lawyers.  When it is all finally worked through the courts, appeals, venue changes.  OBD will be in a far better position to compete, nationally, year in and year out.  Beavs and Cougs will fade into college athletics obscurity.  I am more frustrated that OBD is being payed half of what the LALA schools are being payed to join the B1G than I am about the "lost" revenue share from a defunct conference. 

But, the 30ish million PER YEAR shortfall to OBD for that move to the B1G, was considered Worth It, for the future of OBD competitiveness.  Do the Beavs and Cougs Deserve what's left of the value of the PAC 2?  Absolutely not, but the Billionaires and Lawyers thinks so and currently are winning that argument.  But, again. 

The final solutions and settlements are still Years in the future and believe me,  OBD will care less, making up to 30 times more annual income in the B1G, than any PAC12/MTNWST teams will be receiving (double that, or more, when the new B1G television contracts is up for renewal in 6-7 years.  I, for one, prefer being on this side of the valuation.  GO QUACKERS!

Well said Charles.  JC intentionally misprinted Fact.  Another line he crossed that continues to make him an unethical and unreadable “journalist.”

As for opinion, Pac2- fine manage the league next year but it is pure theft to take this year’s revenue already earned by the other 10.  Let alone that word again, unethical.

Beavis can never again claim to be taking the high road.

• Thumbs Up 1

He didn't use the word ALL fans and if you read fan comments on his site, you might see why he thinks the way he does.  I am a diehard Duck fan, and think that only those who are actually IN the Pac 12, AKA now Pac 2 , should have control of the assets.  The Pac 2 is not going to be allowed to give those who left nothing...the courts will decide that. I read both of you, like and respect both of you.  

I think Canzano was basing his comment on the feedback he gets all the time.  I am not in favor of anybody getting screwed any more than they already have been.   But teams that have left the Pac 12 for greener pastures, in my view, should not be making decisions about the conference they left. .   

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

why the surprise? Hack gunna hack. Always was always going to be. 

Canzano is in the entertainment business and will say whatever gets him clicks.   

I find him obsequious and patronizing.   He will do whatever it takes to get the interview and then later knife the person in the back.   You can certainly tell DL has him figured out.   He gives him a few morsels  and then gives him the perfunctory answers and John thinks he is all good and tight with Dan.

I wonder what the By-laws actually say.  I wonder if there is any context behind them.

Does the contract actually say you must stay in the conference the final year, and you will not get paid?  Was that the intent when USC and UCLA moved on ( that they would not get a dime for any revenue they generated for the conference)?

I want to see the contract.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2023 at 9:12 AM, Mike West said:

I wonder what the By-laws actually say.  I wonder if there is any context behind them.

Does the contract actually say you must stay in the conference the final year, and you will not get paid?  Was that the intent when USC and UCLA moved on ( that they would not get a dime for any revenue they generated for the conference)?

I want to see the contract.

Apparently JC is the expert on the contract.😉

• Applause 1

I want to see Oregon and the Pac-10 members step up. File a suit against the Pac-2 in California with the likelihood of a decision in favor of the plaintiffs. The conflicting decisions would then go to the Ninth Circuit federal court. 

IMO, another move would be before the NY6 Bowl games, Oregon and UW file a restraining order to prevent the NY6 Bowl payouts from being paid to the Pac-2. 

Maybe settlement discussions are ongoing but for goodness sake do something! Say something! Don't just hand these 2 a 2024 scheduling payday while taking it in the shorts. 

Meanwhile, I'm in the process of canceling with Canzano and getting a refund.

Edited by Jon Joseph

The latest Wilner article takes a much more rational approach to the situation.

Worth a read, IMO.

I don't think the sky is falling.

I could eventually be proven wrong, but until then, it's not worth increasing my blood pressure. There's beer and potato chips for that.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/19/2023 at 10:39 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Meanwhile, I'm in the process of canceling with Canzano and getting a refund.

Sheesh, you actually paid for that nonsense? I'd say you're due double your money back for pain, suffering and lost time.

• Haha 1

He has become pure click bait!

i see it as any other business arrangement.

the contract has all the details.
I would love to see the clause that states 
"if conference dissolves remaining teams can KEEP all revenues.."

On 12/20/2023 at 6:56 AM, Hendu007 said:

He has become pure click bait!

i see it as any other business arrangement.

the contract has all the details.
I would love to see the clause that states 
"if conference dissolves remaining teams can KEEP all revenues.."

The conference has not dissolved. Oregon and the other departing universities could have worked together to dissolve the conference before leaving but they chose not to. The ten remaining universities took away the voting rights of USC and UCLA when they gave notice of departure. Thus, Oregon had to know that their voting rights would be gone once they told the conference of their decision to leave for the B1G.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there anything printed that states OSU and WSU actually want to steal the revenue from this year’s Pac teams? I understand that they can do that, but have they actually stated that’s what they plan to do?

Is it possible that the PAC 2 just want rights to the name and to deciding if they can add teams going forward to keep their conference alive and not have to lower themselves to the MWC?

Maybe they will be more fair about how they divide the current revenue? Have they said otherwise?

Canzano is nothing if not a poop stirrer.  

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2023 at 12:42 PM, MDuck said:

Is there anything printed that states OSU and WSU actually want to steal the revenue from this year’s Pac teams? I understand that they can do that, but have they actually stated that’s what they plan to do?

Is it possible that the PAC 2 just want rights to the name and to deciding if they can add teams going forward to keep their conference alive and not have to lower themselves to the MWC?

Maybe they will be more fair about how they divide the current revenue? Have they said otherwise?

If this is what they want then negotiate and drop the litigation. They want more money then they agreed. An equal share considering how little the Pac-2 brought to the bottom line is more than they deserve.

The marketplace and not Oregon said 'NO!" to these 2 schools. 

On 12/20/2023 at 10:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

If this is what they want then negotiate and drop the litigation. They want more money then they agreed. An equal share considering how little the Pac-2 brought to the bottom line is more than they deserve.

The marketplace and not Oregon said 'NO!" to these 2 schools. 

Doesn't the litigation help to strengthen their negotiating position? Why would they drop something that helps them?

The so called market placed is also costing Oregon tens of millions of dollars every year due to FOX taking advantage of Oregon's situation and only offering a 50% share. It is obvious that OBD brings much more benefit than the 50% share that FOX is paying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon is a Junior Partner only until the next B1G media deal and is making more than it would have made in the Pac-12. And is being covered and will be covered by a real network, the B1g 10 Network. The BTN is now over 70 Million subscribers. 

Litigation? You get more bees with honey than with vinegar. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1

lol Canzano. He always seemed like a mouth piece for the Pac-12. A lot during the whole USC, UCLA departing. Where he would, just spin out. Whatever the Pac-12 told him to spin. Too try and make the Pac-12 always look good. Pac-12 and The Pac-12 Networks made so many awful and bad decisions 

What's done is done though now

If the Pac-2 Rebuilds. Makes it back into the Pac-12 again or Pac-14 (etc. Teams wise). Then they do. But it won't be the same  

We have no control over it

If OSU, and or Both WSU. Does get a Big-12 or ACC invite (Then, um um um yippie?). I think they, will Both just merge into the Mountain West though eventually 

Honestly really. Who cares what happens. Since Oregon is going now into the Big-Ten. I'm focused on that, on Oregon. On National Signing Day, Transfer Portal (etc.). Tear apart That Beaver Dam all up. When the Ducks play Oregon State next year

I will be Running up the score board. On Oregon State next year. In EA's College Football 24   video game. In the Summer. On my PlayStation 5 🥰🥰🤣      

charlie-sheen-emilio.gif

• Haha 1

I fully understand the benefits of the move to the B1G. Oregon will be a Junior Partner for 6 years since the current contract expires after the 2029-30 season. Six years is a long time. The $30 million plus discounted rate versus value over six years is at least $180 million that FOX will get to pocket in those six years. Same thing is happening to Washington. The combined $360 million was a big reason for FOX to not offer the PAC12 their true market value.

OSU and WSU are trying to save the PAC12 and make their situation as good as possible. I will not get upset with them for doing what is best for their two universities. Just like, I do not think they should be upset with OBD for doing what was best for Oregon when we left for the B1G.

In negotiations, I would think you get more money when you have the upper hand. You do not win by giving up your advantage. 

On 12/20/2023 at 12:25 PM, B1GOregonDucks said:

Honestly really. Who cares what happens. Since Oregon is going now into the Big-Ten. I'm focused on that, on Oregon. On National Signing Day, Transfer Portal (etc.). Tear apart That Beaver Dam all up. When the Ducks play Oregon State next year...

I will be Running up the score board. On Oregon State next year. In EA's College Football 24   video game. In the Summer. On my PlayStation 5 🥰🥰🤣      

As a new member of this forum--you are off to a GREAT start!  Thanks for your humor, and WELCOME!

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck