OregonDucks

Breaking: Transfer QB Dante Moore to Oregon

Charles called it a couple of weeks ago!!! Gabriel and Moore to Oregon… 

“Though the Ducks were able to land Oklahoma transfer Dillon Gabriel earlier in the month, they still managed to convince Moore to come to Eugene and develop under one of the best young offensive coordinators in the nation, waiting in the wing for a year with the promise of taking over one of the most explosive offenses in all of college football in 2025.

In terms of wins in the transfer portal, it’s hard to image a bigger victory for the Oregon Ducks at this point. With Heisman finalist Bo Nix heading off to the NFL, Lanning and the Ducks now landed two of the best passers on the open market this offseason, setting up his team for as bright of a future as you could imagine.”

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

History repeats itself. Dante Moore is going to be a Duck.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

No, I reported what was going on, but I did not "predict" it.  When I actually make a prediction, and am right..."I am impossible to live with."

But I did not predict this one, but have been torn about it.  I trust Lanning/Stein on this one.

Dante Moore led UCLA to a win and should be the starting QB - Los Angeles  Times

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I have a feeling Novosad will be moving on. I hope he sticks around for the Fiesta Bowl, though. We’re running low on backup QB’s.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 2

7 things for Oregon Duck fans to know about new QB Dante Moore

Last weekend, Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks landed the first big win of the 2024 transfer portal cycle by getting a commitment from former Oklahoma quarterback Dillon Gabriel, a likely 2024 Heisman Trophy candidate.

Now, the Ducks made another big-time splash in the portal, getting a transfer from former UCLA quarterback Dante Moore, a true sophomore in 2024.

Moore played in 9 games as a freshman under Chip Kelly for the Bruins, and he showed flashes of some really great talent.

However, he ultimately struggled, throwing for 11 touchdowns and 9 interceptions before losing his starting job in the back half of the season.

Moore has a history at Oregon, so Duck fans may feel like they know what they’re getting in the young QB.

We wanted to do a deep dive, though, and make sure we know all that we need to know about Moore.

Here’s what we found...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at some of the most important things for Oregon Duck fans to know about new QB Dante Moore.

I guess all this means our coaches are staying put for now, which is extremely important.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon fans react to QB Dante Moore's commitment to the Ducks

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck fans reacted on social media to the news that former UCLA quarterback Dante Moore will transfer to Eugene.

Oregon Lands QB Dante Moore Via Transfer Portal! | IMPACT On Ducks, Dan Lanning Future in Big Ten?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Moore was committed to Oregon before flipping to UCLA late in the recruiting cycle

Hope Moga doesn't bail.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2023 at 5:54 PM, VegasDuck said:

Hope Moga doesn't bail.

If he does, he does. 

Gabriel -> Moore -> Smith, Jr.

On 12/18/2023 at 5:58 PM, OregonDucks said:

If he does, he does. 

It does raise questions for the upcoming season.  If Moga bails then it's just Gabriel, Moore, and a walk-on QB.  That's a pretty thin sheet of ice...

Hmm??? How many times has Oregon had a talented GOOD backup QB? I dont think worrying is necessary at this time.  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are we forgetting Novosad with all the talk of Moga possibly moving on?

On 12/18/2023 at 6:43 PM, Augduck said:

Are we forgetting Novosad with all the talk of Moga possibly moving on?

You're right, so Novosad would be presumably 3rd string heading into next season.

On 12/18/2023 at 6:35 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Hmm??? How many times has Oregon had a talented GOOD backup QB? I dont think worrying is necessary at this time.  

Therein lies the problem, a good QB rarely wants to ride the pine for long.

Don't count Novosad out of the competition for backup and future starter just yet. Patrick Mahomes was once a 3 star prospect. Star ratings don't always correspond to who turns out to be the best. Maybe Novosad transfers, and maybe he stays and competes, and maybe he wins the job.  Don't write the young man off.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/18/2023 at 5:54 PM, VegasDuck said:

Hope Moga doesn't bail.

I have not seen anywhere about Moga bailing.  Is that out there now?  I sure hope not as I think he is a good one!

On 12/18/2023 at 7:19 PM, Jemangi said:

I have not seen anywhere about Moga bailing.  Is that out there now?  I sure hope not as I think he is a good one!

There is not.

Just people....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Moga is a true dual threat QB.

Would hate to lose him.

A QB who can make or extend a play with his legs, like Nix and Gabriel,  is invaluable.

Does Moore have that ability?

On 12/18/2023 at 5:58 PM, OregonDucks said:

If he does, he does. 

It would be short-sided to think Novasad and Moga might be fretting over the 2nd coming of Dante Moore.  Maybe he was thrown to the wolves too soon and as a result his confidence is shaken (thank you Chip).  Fans are quick to blame the Bruin offensive line however they seemed to perform well once Garbers took the reins.  

The biggest red flag I see with Moore is lack of foot speed as evidenced with him being sacked 22 times over a period of just four games.  College and pro QB’s must have escapability in this day and age and I see that as his biggest weakness.  One of Bo’s best qualities is knowing when to exit the pocket, having the quickness to do so and buy extra time for receivers to get open.  

I anticipate more drama than one might expect in this spring’s competition for backup QB.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2023 at 7:10 PM, crazyjeff said:

Don't count Novosad out of the competition for backup and future starter just yet. Patrick Mahomes was once a 3 star prospect. Star ratings don't always correspond to who turns out to be the best. Maybe Novosad transfers, and maybe he stays and competes, and maybe he wins the job.  Don't write the young man off.

I think Brady was a 3 star prospect back in the day.

Who knows... With unrestricted transfer possibilities, if Novosad beats out Moore this spring, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to search for greener pastures, again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Moore knows he is not the man. Guy has some significant holes in his game for this level. QB’s usually show some upside early. He was pulled as a starter quickly. 

I honestly don’t expect much from him. Which maybe exactly what he needs to get his head back into relearning how to run a football team at this level. 

• Thumbs Up 1

BR headline- UCLA QB transfers to B1G school

Me first thought- oh crap Michigan, oh wait......,,,,

Seems many here think Moore is a less experienced TT. Thats interesting. I have no opinion on Moore yet. He went 11td to 9 int as a true freshman but that should be set aside for now imo.

We will see if Oregon can do a 180⁰ and develope young talent at QB. So far they haven't shown they can. This young staff is 0-1 so far but they are young so perhaps a little leash will be extended.

On 12/19/2023 at 4:21 AM, Log Haulin said:

Seems many here think Moore is a less experienced TT. Thats interesting. I have no opinion on Moore yet. He went 11td to 9 int as a true freshman but that should be set aside for now imo.

We will see if Oregon can do a 180⁰ and develope young talent at QB. So far they haven't shown they can. This young staff is 0-1 so far but they are young so perhaps a little leash will be extended.

I am going to politely disagree.  I do not know where you received the impression that the majority of Oregon fans think that Moore is less experienced than Thompson?  Everyone knows that Moore started games and played extensively this year, and at times--was not very good.

Oregon coaches can't develop young talent?  They developed TT with enough progress to sell you on retaining him, and when you consider the high scoring offense this year, and recruiting three 4-Star QBs before he ever called a play? I think Will Stein has shown quite a bit of expertise in his first year.

But we can disagree--no biggie.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Where Dante Moore, newest Ducks stand among the top-rated transfers in Dan Lanning era

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks kicked off a very busy week of recruiting with an incredibly busy Monday, landing three new...

With addition of Dante Moore, Ducks have built one of best QB rooms in the nation

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With the addition of transfer Dante Moore, the Oregon Ducks have successfully built one of the best quarterback rooms in the nation.

On 12/19/2023 at 9:33 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I do not know where you received the impression that the majority of Oregon fans think that Moore is less experienced than Thompson? 

I used the word many. I have no idea if a majority think this. Many is not a distinctive number. 

Moore played in nine games, clearly more than TT. His stats are cringe worthy. 9 pics, 22 sacks, lost fumbles, missed reads. Some of these kinds of performance claims are made in opposition to Ty. It's often said here greatness appears early.

TT played, practiced, studied, worked out and matured for 3 years in a college system. Clearly more than Donte Moore. So imo experience, in this case anyways, is subjective.

They developed TT with enough progress to sell you on retaining him

Absolutly true. The only thing TT wasn't afforded was playing time. Something that could have very well been the missing piece for development of Thompson.

Moore got that out of necessity at UCLA. Oregon had Bo Nix, a player that was on stage in NY. There was no way Thompson was getting snaps with a Heisman candidate in front of him.

Now Oregon got an opportunity and signed a player that was at one time a Heisman candidate in 23'. Can't blame anyone in the Oregon prog'm for pulling the trigger on that.

That left TT out in the cold. He had no choice but to TP. Ty got a raw deal, mainly one of circumstance. It sucks and its hard to point a finger at a difinitive reasoning with authority for the lack of success of Ty's time at Oregon. 

I think Will Stein has shown quite a bit of expertise in his first year

Absolutly! Stein engineered, with help, one of the most prolific offenses in the country. I cheered them along in every game enthusiastically.

I can be as big a fan boy as anyone. But the record shows, at least recently, Oregon has not developed a QB recruit into an adequate P5 starter. I think that reality if fair game for fans to debate and ponder imo. 

Maybe that changes with Moore. Until Oregon shows they are capable, I am not going to beat the fan boy drum on development. I am going to be critical.

In closing, Sports are a lot of fun to talk about. It provides mutiple layers of truths to disect and discuss. Many times two conflicting realities can be true. Many times, things aren't always as they appear. On paper doesn't dictate winners or losers. 

I truly appreciate your polite disagreement Charles. It gave me much to ponder and comment on

On 12/19/2023 at 5:05 PM, Log Haulin said:

It's often said here greatness appears early.

Yep.  I had many reservations, and in fact have come out in the forum stating that I did NOT want Oregon to recruit Moore in the last month.  Throws a flat ball, no pocket presence, and body language of entitlement at times.

But the coaches know better than I, so whether it is their decision with Thompson or Moore--I will give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I am going to be critical.

Good!  We want critical analysis that gives credit where due and grief when deserved.  To see how this QB situation plays out?  It will be great drama and entertainment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon has not developed a QB recruit into an adequate P5 starter.

The coaching staffs after Helfrich--that is true, but the jury is still out on this coaching staff. But they are off to a pretty good start, as one could make a big case that Dillingham and Stein propelled the career enormously of Bo Nix, hence proving the skills of developing a QB further.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/19/2023 at 5:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

But the coaches know better than I, so whether it is their decision with Thompson or Moore--I will give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I often wonder about this. I question weather coaches know better. Sure they have a ton more information. Gives them the advantage.

But there are folks like you and many others here that have huge football brains. Places like this attract such people. 

It's probably true that coaches know more/better just from the volume of information. But man I question it at times 

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 5:26 PM, Log Haulin said:

But man I question it at times 

Good. We question the coaches on their decisions, and with player performance.  As long as we don't get personal with the current players and coaches--the topics are pretty open for us to kick-around.

That is what we do here, and many of us have been proven correct over the years, but the coaches generally come out way ahead.  Besides. the benefit of pondering what others like you have to say--makes us all better fans.

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Novosad will be good.  Hope it is with us.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Moore can "make all the throws," will be learn which throws to make? 

On 12/20/2023 at 3:10 PM, Triphibius said:

If Moore can "make all the throws," will be learn which throws to make? 

Why the opt for Steiny over the Chipper.

I heard in this forum that Novosad is looking forward to the completion.

Really.

I guess that is what he should say. Hope it’s true.

On 12/20/2023 at 5:00 PM, Just Ducky said:

I heard in this forum that Novosad is looking forward to the completion.

Really.

I guess that is what he should say. Hope it’s true.

Austin Novosad isn't backing down from a competitive quarterback room

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Austin Novosad, a true freshman QB for the Oregon Ducks, isn’t fazed by the pair of QBs transferring to Oregon.