Pennsylvania Duck

Quaaack! Washington CB Jabbar Muhammad Is a Duck

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon has added yet another star transfer to its roster next season.

247SPORTS.COM

Following Oregon football adding a monster transfer portal commitment in former Oklahoma QB Dillon Gabriel, the Ducks...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Duck fans react to former Washington CB Jabbar Muhammad's transfer to Oregon

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck fans celebrated the addition of former Washington Huskies’ CB Jabbar Muhammad on social media.

6 things to know about Oregon’s new transfer Jabbar Muhammad

In the wake of Kalen DeBoer’s departure to Alabama, Washington Huskies players have begun entering the transfer portal en masse. Star Huskies CB Jabbar Muhammad was one of those players, and he’s now committed to the Oregon Ducks.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Get to know Oregon’s newest cornerback transfer Jabbar Muhammad

Jabbar Muhammad Commits to Oregon | Another HUGE Addition for Dan Lanning

Last defensive piece to fall into place. JM is a real get and kudos to DL and Hampton/Wadood for bringing him into the flock. He did a great job controlling the Oregon WRs in the Pac-12 CG. Maybe a bit handsy and grabby, but if the zebes don't call it, it don't count as a negative. Happy he elected to not follow DeBoer to Bama or stay with Fisch. May very well be the next Oregon DB to follow Gonzo and (hopefully) Jackson to the NFL.

Not much else to add on either side of the ball unless a critical player leaves or is injured after spring ball. Another safety, inside DL or a TE maybe. I'm comfortable with the roster they have now.

QUAAAACK: Oregon adds Washington transfer CB Jabbar Muhammad

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

The four-star had been the top uncommitted transfer in the Rivals rankings before announcing his choice Saturday.

milkshake-drink.gif.855888b7ffbdf937f2573184fad44b81.gif

Something about taking one of Fusky's best warms the soul....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 4

Such a big transfer…

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oh my…just how good is DL and his support at addressing the on field needs to compete at the highest levels?

I am kind of in awe right now. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3

Huge pickup for the defense!

Wonder how our friends up north are reacting to the news…

• Go Ducks! 1

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I wonder about the price paid, considering the competition for his services. I also wonder how the other DBs feel about it.

I'm excited to see him on the team, but I can't help wondering if the cost (both financially and from a morale standpoint) is worth the difference between him and the next option already on the roster.

If Tuscaloosa won't come to Muhammad then Muhammad must come to Eugene. 😍

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 3

bbmichaels I don’t like the NIL trend, either.  I like the alternative, being loyal to the players who are here, and getting beat by portal players who were picked up by our opponents even less.  In college football today, teams have to be playing about 43 players, not including special teams.  If a young man is not good enough to get playing time, he needs to look at transferring to a lesser school, as 12 former Ducks have done, or are trying to do, this portal season.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Lanning is loading up and GOING for it in 2024.  Big rebuild in 2025, but forget about that--enjoy this year!

Come...to OREGON!

Lanning2_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/27/2024 at 6:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Big rebuild in 2025, but forget about that--enjoy this year!

In the portal era ... The best teams won't have to take years to rebuild. 

I mean this should be a rebuild year based on what we lost but it's not. It's a stock up and reload and get ready for the next season. 

It doesn't matter who we lose after next season because they will be youngsters who step up into those roles or Lanning will go into the portal to find someone. 

Top tier programs and coaches won't be looking at big rebuilds if they're managing their rosters properly on a year to year basis. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

This is a big get for OBD's and a critical piece to staying in and winning against tOSU.

The 2023 roster had a weakness in the secondary that could not stop NFL bound Penix and his trio of NFL bound receivers. Especially in critical moments.

Just a few key plays kept OBD's from 13-0 and a CFP invite. Some of those plays involved the secondary.

tOSU Buckeyes may not have a Michael Penix but they have high quality NFL bound receivers. These receivers must be contained to improve the chances for victory.

The talent on the 2024 squad can win the BIG. Without top secondary talent we could see a 2023 repeat of the husky disappointments.

This fan does not want to lose the Buckeye game in Eugene, then again in the BIG Title game. These 4 back end transfers are critical to winning 1 or both games.

You know we could play the Buckeyes 3 times next season......

The 2023 backend was not broken. They just didnt match up against those talented husky receivers.

It appears DL is taking steps to not let that happen......especially against the Buckeyes 

Go Ducks!

Consider that the cost for these players is part of doing business in college football.  NIL does not cost the Ducks a penny. It is provided by those who can afford the investment into the program.

DL is committed to Oregon and its success. He and his staff put in the work and the time. It's easy for the NIL collective ro return that with money.

So HappyToBeADuck!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 3

I think lock down corners are so critical to a great defense as it gives the D coordinator so many more options for being aggressive with stunts and pressure.  Nick A. used to base his aggressive defenses on great corners.  When he had lock down corners, he had great defenses. When I would watch games that UW played Muhammad seemed to be on every play. I think the guy is a stud and maybe the most important defensive pickup the Ducks made. I was hoping for this transfer more than any other once he entered the portal. Nothing is guaranteed but this is a great pickup.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/27/2024 at 5:56 PM, bbmichaels said:

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I wonder about the price paid, considering the competition for his services. I also wonder how the other DBs feel about it.

I'm excited to see him on the team, but I can't help wondering if the cost (both financially and from a morale standpoint) is worth the difference between him and the next option already on the roster

We’re going to lose players in the spring portal as well, have to build the best roster you can, when you can. Secondary wasn’t exactly a strength last year, if anyone in waiting was actually that good they would have played.

That being said, this is exactly why I usually only pay attention to the macro aspect of recruiting and don’t  get attached to any names until the season starts. 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hurt feelings? One play and a player can be lost for the year. 

Like it, or not, the transfer portal is here to stay. It has changed the game. Oregon has chosen to adapt to the change and use it to bring in proven talent at positions they feel need depth.

The reality of sports in general might be considered harsh. From grade school to the professional level any player can get hurt physically, or emotionally.

What do you propose to do about that?

• Applause 2

The portal and NIL are reasons why there was no room for an undefeated P5 conference champion in the 'Playoff' in 2023. FSU would not have been undefeated except for bringing in a load of portal talent. 5 conference champions and at least Georgia, were worthy of playing in the 2023/24 post-season. (What goes around comes around. An undefeated FSU made it to the first playoff ahead of better Baylor and TCU teams.)

Both the portal and NIL today are an equalizer in dispersing talent. Not only in CFB but across the board in sports that once had rules that restricted transfers. The best people deserve to play and to be paid. 

As to loyalty? I miss the 'old days' in many respects. But that's what they are in today's world of college sports big-time entertainment, "old days." 

Is a QB who is lights out going to be paid more than the starting guard? Yes. But that is no different than where the players aspire to play, the NFL. 

Lanning's duty is to his employer and the fans who support the team. That duty is to win, fill the stadium with fans, and draw eyeballs on the game over the media. Without money earned by the football program, the majority of athletes playing non-revenue sports including women athletes would have nowhere to play. 

As to feelings? Man up and compete! Like life, you are not guaranteed a thing. Win the right to play. If you do not start this is where and when loyalty is needed. Be prepared to go in the game if the guy who beat you out goes down. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/28/2024 at 7:51 AM, Drake said:

Hurt feelings? One play and a player can be lost for the year. 

Like it, or not, the transfer portal is here to stay. It has changed the game. Oregon has chosen to adapt to the change and use it to bring in proven talent at positions they feel need depth.

The reality of sports in general might be considered harsh. From grade school to the professional level any player can get hurt physically, or emotionally.

What do you propose to do about that?

I'm actually not a portal hater. I like adding depth and letting the competition work things out.

I just have hesitancy in regard to this particular get. Optics seem to suggest that they outbid Texas for his services. How much did they spend? Might it be it at the expense of getting the next guy who might have filled a greater void or been a bigger upgrade?

He's a proven solid CB. Maybe he'll end up as CB1. But they have brought in several other promising CBs via the portal already. Is he that big of an upgrade? Worth the price tag and the crowded CB room? I hope so. I'm just not blindly over the moon on this one.

At the end of the day I trust Lanning, and I hope that the Division Street coffers make it all a moot point.

Edited by bbmichaels
  • Whew! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

In this era there will always be transfers from the weak to the strong. 

Agree we should be careful about culture issues, but Lanning is the man as far as building team culture. I am very impressed with how he uses this roster and the continuity of effort and output. 

What I am most curious about is the impact on the program of a new coach, and all the transfers in the position group. We have had some decent talent in the backfield, but the output has sometimes waned. Will this position group become a larger strength of the program going forward? Has Lanning fixed this position group?

As we all know having a first round draft pick back there didn't fix it. Having depth didn't fix it. Will these moves fix this important part of the defense?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Whew! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:02 PM, bbmichaels said:

I'm actually not a portal hater. I like adding depth and letting the competition work things out.

I just have hesitancy in regard to this particular get. Optics seem to suggest that they outbid Texas for his services. How much did they spend? Might it be it at the expense of getting the next guy who might have filled a greater void or been a bigger upgrade?

He's a proven solid CB. Maybe he'll end up as CB1. But they have brought in several other promising CBs via the portal already. Is he that big of an upgrade? Worth the price tag and the crowded CB room? I hope so. I'm just not blindly over the moon on this one.

At the end of the day I trust Lanning, and I hope that the Division Street coffers make it all a moot point.

Great take. IMO, a proven transfer is exactly the guy who should be paid.

Jabbar watched up front and personal Texas DBs playing vanilla D vs UW. The DL studs who were supposed to show up did not show up against UW; the stud DL guys did show up for Michigan. Jabbar played terrific football in both games vs. Oregon. I was surprised he was not 1st team all Pac-12 but even 2nd team in a league as deep as the Pac last season is a heck of an achievement. His PFF grade was slightly better than Jackson who had the top DB ranking for the Ducks in 2023. 

To date, I think Division Street managed by former Nike execs has made all the right moves.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm excited to see him on the team, but I can't help wondering if the cost (both financially and from a morale standpoint) is worth the difference between him and the next option already on the roster.

Dan Lanning has said openly that he tells all players that once they are here he will continue to recruit and bring in players that will push them to take their job and make the team better. If they want to play they need to be the best on the team. The bar has been set. I’m sure there were several players that the coaching staff was hoping would push Steve Stephens for minutes and force them to play that player instead of him, but he was the only one they could play.

Maybe they didn’t learn the defense or signals well enough, maybe they didn’t show up for meetings or watch film. Whatever it was, the opportunity was there. When Florence and Jackson went down and manning wasn’t perfect in coverage, there were openings at corner and nickel. Lanning knows what we need and he has told the players he has recruited he will do everything he can to get it if they aren’t going to meet that standard. 

• Applause 1

Where CB Jabbar Muhammad stands among the top-rated transfers in Dan Lanning era

Let’s take a look at the 25 best transfers that the Ducks have landed since Lanning has been here, and see where Muhammad lands...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at where Oregon Ducks’ new cornerback transfer Jabbar Muhammad ranks among top-rated transfers to come to Oregon...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/28/2024 at 11:02 AM, bbmichaels said:

There is no salary cap yet

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy Moly the (blue)chips keep falling our way. 

I really, really hope this is All because of what our program has to offer, the new NIL opportunities, and the Lanning staff recruiting "chops".  Just don't want to find out years from now that it was done, via SEC style, through shady backdoor deals or practices.

After all, that is what NIL and transfer portal was suppose to help eliminate, right?  So until proven otherwise...GO DUCKS!

On 1/29/2024 at 9:56 AM, MicroBurst61 said:

Just don't want to find out years from now that it was done, via SEC style, through shady backdoor deals or practices.

Honest question: does any recruiting qualify as shady anymore, and if so, what form does it take? Now that donors can pay players, about the only restriction I'm aware of is that schools can't pay players directly. But for any school with deep-pocketed donors, why would it bother? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2024 at 3:12 PM, Vanducky said:

Honest question: does any recruiting qualify as shady anymore, and if so, what form does it take? Now that donors can pay players, about the only restriction I'm aware of is that schools can't pay players directly. But for any school with deep-pocketed donors, why would it bother? 

Shady? The non-disclosure of the details of NIL deals makes the deals seem shady to some. However, the payments are being made by 3rd parties and not the employer. If (once?) schools start paying players directly, public universities will have to disclose the deals and I expect we will also be tuned into the bidding wars for a player's services. Not any different than NFL free agency where a free agent, more correctly his agent, shops the player's services.

What is 'shady' today is roster tampering which everyone who isn't naive knows is going on. 

"Shady" is now a relative term dependent upon which time period you are referring to.

On 1/29/2024 at 9:56 AM, MicroBurst61 said:

I really, really hope this is All because of what our program has to offer, the new NIL opportunities, and the Lanning staff recruiting "chops".  Just don't want to find out years from now that it was done, via SEC style, through shady backdoor deals or practices.

I think this whole NIL thing IS quite shady, but this is how it is, and Oregon has adapted to the new landscape and flourished.

I sense that Oregon is more "competitive" in their NIL offerings than last year, as my theory is that Phil may have decided to "go-for-it" and thus donated a ton to the NIL pot for distribution.  (Division Street)  I have no idea if I am correct, but Phil is getting up there, we have momentum, Lanning is killing it and the dots seem to connect.

So...if we are now quite close or beating offers by Texas A&M for example...then Oregon will continue to succeed in the portal.  Even then, we have missed on some great ones in the portal, so my theory is very much in doubt.

image.png

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/28/2024 at 12:16 PM, Haywarduck said:

What I am most curious about is the impact on the program of a new coach, and all the transfers in the position group. We have had some decent talent in the backfield, but the output has sometimes waned. Will this position group become a larger strength of the program going forward? Has Lanning fixed this position group?

As we all know having a first round draft pick back there didn't fix it. Having depth didn't fix it. Will these moves fix this important part of the defense?

We've had a first rounder or two but never the supporting cast especially at safety. McKinley III was the last real impact safety  we've had, once we get a Holland, Boyett, Ward, ect. in the backend everyone on the field will look a lot better.

Zack Neal of Ducks Wire take on starting DBs in 2024.

CB Jabbar Muhammad and Kam Alexander - UW and UTSA

Nickle - Brandon Johson - Duke

S - Tyreem Johnson and Kobe Savage - Ole Miss 2022 and Kansas State.

So, yes, I believe DL has used the portal to beef up the DBs. Now, how about 1 more big body on the DL? 

Spring ball, 3 OOC opponents, and a Off Week before playing the first B1G game at UCLA should help the starters mold into a cohesive unit.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1