Charles Fischer

Would TV Execs WORK with Taylor Swift...for Ratings?

While I am repulsed by the camera shots to the stadium box where Travis Kelce's friends and family are after a KC score....would TV executives try to capitalize on that further?

I mean, if they announced in advance that cameras will be IN the box, along with mics....wouldn't that pull millions of Taylor Swift fans to watch the telecast? 

Now I get how pulling in millions more viewers helps the ratings, and that much more mega-charging of advertisers....but it also could enlarge the NFL audience among her fans?  Become KC fans at the minimum?

Look, I know you're feeling a gag-response as you read this, but I am often fascinated by marketing angles.  Seems to me that promoting this is a no-brainer, that there is tremendous upside for the NFL, and the downside, well, we can look away.  (I simply fast-forward on my DVR)

Think this will happen?

image.png

Mr. FishDuck

What?! 

NFL "capitalizing" on a pop culture phenom that just happens to be in that sports spotlight?   Nah...say it isn't so! 

What do you think we operate under?  A "capitalist" society...yeesh!  Next thing you know we will have to watch 45 minutes of pop culture halftime shows.  (Wardrobe malfunctions anyone?)

Oh wait!  Yeah we do.  Never mind, carry on.  Make that money while the iron is hot!  Go Super"bowlies"... 🤪!

• Haha 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:26 AM, MicroBurst61 said:

Next thing you know we will have to watch 45 minutes of pop culture halftime shows.

You know, it is funny you mention that because I forgot all about it.  Why?  Because I have not watched one in 20 years, if not longer.  I believe I watched one and thought, "this is stupid," and would fast forward through them every year since.

I take that back; I did watch one, Tom Petty, and came away highly disappointed.  Love his music, and RIP Tom.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I happen to enjoy the 10-30 seconds of Taylor Swift at Chiefs games.' Is it really all that different from showing Jack Nicholson or Spike Lee on the sidelines at basketball games?

And I think it's way better than the days when the cameras would linger on some anonymous girl at a football game in a tight sweater while Brent Musburger verbally drooled over her. Now that was yucky!

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

My 8 year old daughter is now a Kansas City Chiefs fan which isn't great considering I'm a Raiders fan but at least she's watching football now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Like most old boomers, I am '"who cares" neutral on the Swift-Kelce issue. Marilyn Monroe-Joe DiMaggio for the social media age. Best of luck to them but Vegas has a running book on how long the relationship will last.

The NFL would be fools to not capitalize on it for the SB. Ad costs for a 30 sec spot already run at $7M a pop. Those eyeballs are guaranteed as companies are willing to unveil their best ad campaigns and pony up the bucks. The Swifties impact will be known soon after the game when viewer numbers are released.

If the Chiefs pull off the win don't be surprised to see Kelce and Swift, arm in arm, looking into the camera saying "We're going to Disneyland... to buy it!"

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

My opinion -

This stuff cracks me up. Swift is a billionaire so I doubt this is all contrived as some specific “groups” are theorizing. She has 300M followers on Instagram and FB alone. She’s got ten other ways to make more $$ aside from what be a very time consuming hoax. No doubt ESPN, the NFL, and Kelce are capitalizing on the situation, as they should, but it seems improbable that she would enter into this as a sham.

i mean seriously, a TE from KC isn’t who you’d use if this was pure fiction.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:17 AM, Charles Fischer said:

While I am repulsed by the camera shots to the stadium box where Travis Kelce's friends and family are after a KC score....would TV executives try to capitalize on that further?

I mean, if they announced in advance that cameras will be IN the box, along with mics....wouldn't that pull millions of Taylor Swift fans to watch the telecast? 

Now I get how pulling in millions more viewers helps the ratings, and that much more mega-charging of advertisers....but it also could enlarge the NFL audience among her fans?  Become KC fans at the minimum?

Look, I know you're feeling a gag-response as you read this, but I am often fascinated by marketing angles.  Seems to me that promoting this is a no-brainer, that there is tremendous upside for the NFL, and the downside, well, we can look away.  (I simply fast-forward on my DVR)

Think this will happen?

image.png

Who knew? That's my girlfriend in the No. 87 jersey! Don't leave me hangin' Honey! I want a ticket to the Super Bowl in Vegas!

Taylor after a show in Japan is flying to Vegas arriving at 5 PM on Saturday, the day of her departure from Japan. Devoted to You.

Micro, I hear that an Usher is doing the halftime show. Did the NFL run out of $? 

I couldn't distinguish between the Usher and the Taylor. However, I don't think that 77-year-olds are the targeted demographic.

• Haha 3

On 2/2/2024 at 10:01 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

My opinion -

This stuff cracks me up. Swift is a billionaire so I doubt this is all contrived as some specific “groups” are theorizing. She has 300M followers on Instagram and FB alone. She’s got ten other ways to make more $$ aside from what be a very time consuming hoax. No doubt ESPN, the NFL, and Kelce are capitalizing on the situation, as they should, but it seems improbable that she would enter into this as a sham.

My opening post had NOTHING about Taylor Swift making more money off this, or anything about a ruse to help her in any way.  My post was whether the NFL would do something to 1) make more money off advertisers, or 2) increase the NFL audience.

You are making a judgement on something that was not written.

Mr. FishDuck

Well, while I would prefer more shots of the two teams cheerleaders, and less of Ms.Swift, I do have one suggestion....since the NFL gets money from advertisers.

For one prominent advertiser State Farm which uses Mahomes in its ads.... do an ad with Swift driving, Kelce as a passenger, and the vehicle striking a tree.  Mahomes shows up as the State Farm agent and does his patented eye roll when he sees the couple.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:50 PM, HDuck said:

For one prominent advertiser State Farm which uses Mahomes in its ads.... do an ad with Swift driving, Kelce as a passenger, and the vehicle striking a tree.  Mahomes shows up as the State Farm agent and does his patented eye roll when he sees the couple.

Or...a riot breaks out as Swift and Kelce seen in public, and chased into some kind of terrible situation....and the All-State man appears as the crowd ringleader, and reminds us to avoid mayhem like him!

image.png

Better get your liability insurance too...

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

The networks have a lot of time to fill during a football game. Since Mahomes, and boyfriend Travis, connect on a lot of big plays, we all get to see the now obligatory shot of Taylor celebrating.

Mahomes is partially to blame. 

Now if Taylor was dating someone who played center, like brother Jason, there would be far less celebration on a regular basis, and therefore far less Taylor. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wrt your original question, @Charles Fischer, why not have celebrity hosts as well? 

I think it would be a lot of fun, and anything would be worth it to hear less Cris Collingsworth.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:14 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My opening post had NOTHING about Taylor Swift making more money off this, or anything about a ruse to help her in any way.  My post was whether the NFL would do something to 1) make more money off advertisers, or 2) increase the NFL audience.

You are making a judgement on something that was not written.

I’m simply adding to the conversation and actually agreed with you in my post.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:14 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My post was whether the NFL would do something to 1) make more money off advertisers, or 2) increase the NFL audience.

Uh, yea.  In a heartbeat.  Without remorse.

I don’t think Taylor Swift or the families would want cameras and microphones inside their suite. There’s probably too much emotion, bad language, etc. I think she enjoys getting to cut loose and be herself away from the spotlight for a while.

• Applause 1

Paul McCartney has been to quite a bit of Super Bowls and most dont know that. Taylor Swift is not my thang AND I dont care if the NFL prospers or not. Just my take, YUK!!!!!! IM also very sick of the State Farm commercials. Hope KC loses but I do like Andy Reid though.

Edited by 1Ducker1

If I were Swift, I’d just zip it, sit back, and enjoy the show. 

On 2/3/2024 at 11:40 AM, Washington Waddler said:

If I were Swift, I’d just zip it, sit back, and enjoy the show. 

💯

Absolutely they do what they do. Good grief the NFL should pay NIL to T$. I came for the game and a soap opera was on.

On 2/2/2024 at 9:14 AM, Annie said:

I happen to enjoy the 10-30 seconds of Taylor Swift at Chiefs games.' Is it really all that different from showing Jack Nicholson or Spike Lee on the sidelines at basketball games?

And I think it's way better than the days when the cameras would linger on some anonymous girl at a football game in a tight sweater while Brent Musburger verbally drooled over her. Now that was yucky!

Totally agree Annie. The NFL — and especially the Super Bowl — is more than anything, entertainment. The cameras will zoom in on anything that might appeal to the audience, which for this  game will NOT just include football fans.

If they want to show Taylor Swift for a total of less than 2 minutes, which is typical, what’s the big deal?

• Applause 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:55 AM, Charles Fischer said:

You know, it is funny you mention that because I forgot all about it.  Why?  Because I have not watched one in 20 years, if not longer.  I believe I watched one and thought, "this is stupid," and would fast forward through them every year since.

I take that back; I did watch one, Tom Petty, and came away highly disappointed.  Love his music, and RIP Tom.

Bruno Mars and Beyoncé was perhaps the best halftime show ever, but most were pretty much unwatchable.

Cutting to Jack Nicholas at a lakers game was cool.  Cameo of Matthew McConaughey at Texas games is cool. Showing Eminem at Michigan is cool. But showing Taylor at a Chief's game is not cool and maligned as some kind of contrived marketing play. Huh. Interesting world we live in. 

(Edit)
Just found this... agree or disagree it's worth watching: 

Edited by Dav3d
Found video from Colin Cowherd...