FishDuck Article

Please: End the Wave at Autzen

Okay, as issues go, this really isn’t a biggie. I know that. Furthermore, I apologize in advance for momentarily hijacking the OBD forum to rant about one of my own personal pet peeves. When I pulled Mr. FishDuck away from his research into whether his current web browser is brave safe, then he certainly agreed that this was one of ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Okay, as issues go, this really isn’t a biggie. I know that. Furthermore, I apologize in advance for momentarily hijacking the OBD forum to rant...
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks for the article today Don!  You make good points.  I agree the wave is a distraction, especially when it continues during game action.

Oregon does have a unique creative action that occurs before the start of the 4th quarter.  The whole Autzen stadium singing and dancing to "Shout"! 

I'm not aware of any other college with such a classic movie filmed on their campus.

The tradition of " Shout" at Autzen is the best!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

Don...I am with you all the way on this.  People who attend games with me are puzzled when I do nothing as the wave goes by...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The fact that for some reason the Duck fans usually try to start the wave when the Oregon offense is on the field rather than the defense, is one reason I don't join in. That, and the whole husky thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don I couldn’t agree more. It’s hard enough at my age to get out of my seat to scream at the officials and at MarinoO. Let alone that stupid wave.😤

"The Wave" is soooo last century. It is, today, what the cross stadium chant of "We got spirit, yes we do!  We got spirit, how bout you?!" while emphatically pointing to the other side during the 1960's-70's. I remember taking part in my first "wave" during a Denver Broncos game in the early 90's, before my transplanting to Oregon.  Back then it was "fresh" and really felt like a new, visual way, to involve the game attendants.  It was fun.

Flashforward 30 years (OMG has it Really been that long!) and the use of the wave, ad nauseam, by Every sporting event (even the PGA....or maybe just remembering a scene from Happy Gilmore 😆?) just brings eyerolls from most and only see half of the ppls participating.

Now "SHOUT" between the third and fourth quarter is something that NEVER gets old.  Keeps people on their seats.  "Pumps up the Jam" going into the final quarter, and is a whole lot more "interactive" between the players and the fans than any "wave" ever participated in. 

Having the entire stadium singing and dancing their way through Shout, building to the climax of the entire stadium bellowing "WhoaaoooOoooAhooo"

still puts raised hairs on my body and HAS to be rather Intimidating to whomever has come to visit Autzen, just to lose.

Now THAT'S the stadium tradition that shall endure!  (for at least as long as I shall continue.....to endure!)

Go "Shout" and OBD. 🦆🏈😮

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I could also do without the wave.  It is tired and weak.  Maybe half don’t participate.

i do like SHOUT in the break between 3rd and 4th quarters, but “comin back to the place that I was born” between the first and second quarters gets me every time!

I love the song and hearing fans join in gives me goose pimples (Duck bumps)!  Go Ducks and Go Autzen!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2024 at 8:06 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Don...I am with you all the way on this.  People who attend games with me are puzzled when I do nothing as the wave goes by...

giphy.gif

But you get out of your seat for SHOUT, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

I do.  Love it.,,

Mr. FishDuck

The wave is childish.  

I have no problem with the wave

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/13/2024 at 3:41 PM, PittDuck said:

I love the song and hearing fans join in gives me goose pimples (Duck bumps)!  Go Ducks and Go Autzen!

Absolutely!  Shout Out to Mr. Matt Kearney.  Completely captures the essence of what Eugene and Oregon Are in that song.

I am positive that is why Bo chose that to play during his thank you and goodbye videoclip.

Bet it gives him "duck"bumps also.

The Duck leading the team out on a Motorcycle....er sorry...HOG!  Left my Heart in Oregon between first and second quarters.  SHOUT! going into the fourth.  And of course "It Never Rains at Autzen Stadium" BECAUSE of a Loud and Intimidating stadium crowd bolstering one of the hardest stadiums to steal a win in!

Yeah OBD's have some rather cool stadium "traditions" taking with us into the B1G10.  We can wave "the wave" goodbye.  😎🦆

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I have hated the wave since day 1.  Sophomoric at best and I equate it to something the kids like & also probably the drunks in attendance.

The true origin of Washington’s wave claim is rooted in their effort to teach their mascot how to sit up and beg; something all Husky fans are quite good at mimicking.

Other than that, the wave can be a pretty amusing exercise in grudging annoyance. I find it kinda funny to watch the entitled donor section on the third go around finally feeling forced to put down the DOW report, rise from their bucket seats and feebly wave their arms. Such an effort!

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Yep should be banned, along with "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Sweet Caroline".🤮

• Haha 1

I guess I am not that grumpy when I go to the games.

I Never have thought that the wave is something that I need to eliminate…lol… Let people have fun, if that somehow includes the wave, then I won’t stand in the way. 

However, I do think it is entertaining to watch the guy that is trying to start a wave, and nobody around him wants to help. 

I know the stadium needs improvements. For that, I will definitely get behind adding to everyone’s game experience.

I find the wave useful only when it helps wake a crowd up and get involved. 

This is very seldom the need at Autzen. 

Along with other mentioned displays done, I like it when the cheerleaders lead one side of stadium to yell "go" and the otherside answer "Ducks".

However, in defense of the "wave", in my younger days, I was "that guy" who started the wave regularly. Mostly at Portland Winterhawk hockey games.

My lovely bride would hide her head in embarrassment. 

Oh well, those were the good ol' days.

Go Ducks!

The Wave and other mysteries.

What about shaking your keys on kickoffs? What does that even mean? Why does WSU play the Jaws theme? Why does our band still play fanfare from episode 1 of Star Wars? 

I would say Oregon doesn't follow, nor does it necessarily lead, we innovate, which drives others to follow. One thing we don't do is follow and imitate so I completely agree we shouldn't follow the sophomoric wave.

I could definitely see something like the Hawkeye Wave, a beautiful tribute to something meaningful. That is innovative and has meaning, something right up Oregon's playbook.

Until Oregon comes up with an innovative way to make the wave better, we don't do it!

Happy Valentines to all of the women who frequent this site, and to the guys, don't forget it is Valentines!

Unknown.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

I've always found The Wave to be an irritant when I'm in attendance. It has nothing to do with the action of the game, and I guess that I end up feeling a bit manipulated into standing up, raising my arms and giving a random yell just to be part of the crowd. To what end? 

My favorite Wave moment came years ago when The Wave was at its most popular point. I was watching a game on TV when the crowd began The Wave. The game analyst began throwing out a couple of claimants (including U of W) as the originator of The Wave. Al Michaels, who was calling play-by-play for the game quipped, "To me, a more important question than when The Wave started is, when will it end?"  No doubt, I spit out a mouthful of beer as I laughed at that one.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1