Charles Fischer

Is Your Duck Heart REALLY That Sensitive?

I am always amused when it comes time for people to chime in their predictions for the season. Now I understand when you don't have a strong feeling about the team, as I personally did not make an official prediction last year because I just did NOT have a good read on the team.  I did not know if we would improve on defense, and certainly did not anticipate ending up in the top-10 in the nation for scoring defense.  Still learning about Lanning!

Most years, like this one, I have STRONG feelings that I share. I believe this team is fully loaded for a 'Natty run, and believe we will be undefeated going into the 'Natty game versus Georgia. It is a bold prediction, and one that I'm likely to have egg-on-my-face about....but who cares?  It is just a prediction, an opinion that is wrong half the time like everyone else.  

We don't allow people to needle or ridicule others for items written in the past as they do on other sites.  On the Our Beloved Ducks forum, we share our opinions, discuss/debate them and are NOT allowed to go personal. So what is the danger in sticking your neck out?

Bo Nix Hurt_Eugene Johnson.jpg

Charles, I don't want to get my feelings hurt if it does not work out.

Oh, Boo-Hoo.

I've seen this so many times from fans; "I will not say what I think because I don't want to have my sensitive Duck-heart broken again." Oh geez.  I would think you would be calloused to it by now!  Yes, I've had my Duck-heart broken many times, but...is it going to change my life?  Is it really that big a deal? I cannot reveal my true feelings about a team because of my sensibilities?

I loved that quote from a Steve Martin movie in the 80s, where the wise grandma asked if you wanted a life of a boring Merry-Go-Round, or a life with the Roller-Coaster?  The lows are tough, but the highs make life worth living with the latter.

When it comes to Our Beloved Ducks....I want to ride the Roller-Coaster because with Dan Lanning--we have a ton of winning ahead of us.  Ditto for Baseball; it sucks to lose that way, but over 350 baseball teams would have loved to have our pitching problems, and be in the Super-Regionals. We gotta be grateful!

Yes it especially sucks to lose to the Hated Huskies in football three times in a row. But there is no dishonor in losing to a great team, and we certainly had our chances.  I am savoring even being in that spot where the stakes were high.  So many so-so years of Oregon football and Baseball, so now with big improvement--there is the chance of falling short of ultimate prizes and being disappointed.

I say...

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Charles for the reminder.  I predict the 2024/2025 rendition of OBD will run the table this year!

I have predicted this a few times before, both of Lanning’s first two (Nix) years, and even Mari-no-O’s last (Herbert) year.  While they did not quite achieve the lofty heights I was sure they would, I was proud of what they did do!

We have never seen as talented or as deep an OBD team as what will tear through their first year in the BIG! The pieces are in place, the coaching staff is on point, and the young men of Oregon are primed and pumped!

Bring it on INDEED!  Go DUCKS!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Will be curious to see how good the B1G really is.

Historically it seems like their depth hasn’t been as good as the P12 in any given year, but their top/big 3 has been consistently the same programs always elevated to the top 10, and generally worthy of that ranking. Thanks to USC not doing their part, the P12 has had a pretty inconsistent top 3, but a top 2-3 has alway emerged that was pretty legitimate and underrated due to USC failing as poster child for the conference. The conference failed because USC sucked, full-stop.

Thats a long way of saying, I think this transition adds a couple of big boy games for everyone involved, them included. The rest of the schedule isn’t going to be anything that shocks the system.

Going undefeated is difficult no matter how good you are, I’m predicting 11-1, same as I would have predicted if the P12 still existed!

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/19/2024 at 1:13 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Will be curious to see how good the B1G really is.

💯

I can’t wait to see the BiG D stats after 4 PAC offenses join the fray.

And I can’t wait to see OBD’s D stats after a slate of boring BiG offenses.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Additionally, what does it mean if we go win the B1G and Utah wins the B12, in year one? It’s saying something, not sure what, but it is something. Maybe Cal will win the ACC as well 😂 

• Cool 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/19/2024 at 5:52 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Additionally, what does it mean if we go win the B1G and Utah wins the B12, in year one? It’s saying something, not sure what, but it is something. Maybe Cal will win the ACC as well 😂 

A recent article was predicting the top four of the Big-12, and two of the top three were former Pac-12 teams in Arizona and Utah.  It would be something if they were battling it out for their title, while the schedule for USC within B1G conference play is easier than ours.

What if we met the Trojans for the B1G title?  We win out, Michigan beats Ohio State, and USC beats Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State?  (While losing to Notre Dame and LSU)

Wouldn't THAT be something!

giphy.gif

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

UO vs SUC, Utah vz AZ, Cal vs Furd in the conference championships. Six former PAC teams in the playoffs. A finally so improbable that it almost seems destined!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I personally want to see USC and the Fuskies in the fold along with us EVERY YEAR .  The conference needs the elite depth to challenge the SEC. It would also mean that conference wouldn't be hoggin all the talent.

Regarding this year, the schedule is too tough for a debut in a physical conference like the B1G, and I see a 10-2 year.

I like that because in my mind, that's one less elite team to play before the playoffs start, as I see either Penn State or Michigan playing Ohio State for the conference title.

That makes it a sixteen game season, but two of the playoff games are matchups we can handle, and should win.  

I believe it's going to take another year for Lanning to get over the hump, and the 2025 recruiting year is key.  

I'll discuss further into the season for my line of reasoning, as I see some things that lend me to believe this year will be very good, not quite awesome...yet. 

I think it’s quite probable that Lanning is a much better in game coach than he’s given credit for.

in year one he converted Mario’s stale vanilla offense into a scoring machine. Unfortunately, Mario’s horrific third down stopping D was what Lanning had to work with. If not for two horrific defensive meltdowns, he could have dragged that team into the playoffs. In his first year of coaching!

Year two, he replaces genius OC #1 with genius OC #2 and the offense even improves. He shores up the leaky D and now it’s top 10 in scoring. If not for back up DBs trying to deal with an  #8 draft pick QB throwing to a #9 pick receiver to barely win two games, he again could have made the playoffs in year two!

Now in year three it looks like he’s got the players in place at least two deep in every position group. I don’t think we’ve ever seen a Duck team this stacked everywhere. The potential for a special season is very there.

As crazy as an undefeated season seems to predict, it feels like it has a 50/50 chance of happening. My coin flip says Ducks get it done.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We take tOSU we are NCG bound. I think we beat em at Autzen by 14. The only roadblock may be Georgia.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a Raider fan!  So of course my team is going undefeated!

I really would like to say 12-0 regular season. But it seems a little too much. Instead I will go with 11-1. Loss at Michigan in horrific weather conditions. Get rematch inside Lucas Oil stadium and whoop their butts in Conference Championship game. Get first round bye in playoffs and make a run for the natty.

🤔 Hmm, speaking of heart being too sensitive.  Mr. Schwartz seems uncomfortable.

Oregon Football: Former Duck, National Radio Host "Uncomfortable" with Expectations

Not everyone is on board with Oregon being at the top of the leaderboard for college football expectations. Former Duck and national radio host Geoff Schwartz made his thoughts known on X Thursday.

WWW.SI.COM

Not everyone is on board with Oregon football being a leader for expectations. Former Duck and national radio host Geoff Schwartz said he's

On 6/20/2024 at 1:30 PM, NJDuck said:

Hmm, speaking of heart being too sensitive.  Mr. Schwartz seems uncomfortable.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I do believe we will fall to the Buckeyes at home. Then we will beat them in the conference championship game. Then we will win the Natty this year 🙂

On 6/20/2024 at 2:13 PM, WallaWallaDuck said:

I do believe we will fall to the Buckeyes at home. Then we will beat them in the conference championship game. Then we will win the Natty this year 🙂

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/19/2024 at 10:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Most years, like this one, I have STRONG feelings that I share. I believe this team is fully loaded for a 'Natty run, and believe we will be undefeated going into the 'Natty game versus Georgia. It is a bold prediction, and one that I'm likely to have egg-on-my-face about....but who cares?  It is just a prediction, an opinion that is wrong half the time like everyone else.  

I have it penciled that we go undefeated and make the national title game against Ohio State for the third time in the season. 

Oregon gets their first natty. 

And... Ryan Day is 0-4 against the Ducks and this creates a colossal meltdown in the Buckeye fan base. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ducks all the way to their 1st Natty. And just like my Bball bracket, it’s a guarantee!

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling
  • Haha 1

This is the year we get Michigan with a new coach and The Ohio State University with a new coach. We beat them both, and go into the national championship game undefeated. And then............ This is the year. GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/20/2024 at 5:38 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

This is the year we get Michigan with a new coach and The Ohio State University with a new coach. We beat them both, and go into the national championship game undefeated. And then............ This is the year. GO DUCKS!

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/20/2024 at 8:38 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Is the new Ohio State coach you are referring to Chip Kelly? Ryan Day has lost 3 in a row to that School Up North but is still the Buckeyes HC.

Sporting News ranks the B1G 2024 schedules.

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

Michigan first-year coach Sherrone Moore will have a difficult baptism with the reigning national champions.

I think that 3 or more B1G teams could be tied at the end of the regular season in the loss column. And with no divisions in the ACC, B1G, B12, and the SEC and close to half of the teams in P4 not facing one another in 2024, I expect that conference tie-breakers could be used in all of the P4 conferences. And no one knows what the PO Committee will do to separate P4 teams with identical records. 

A 10-2 Rutgers?  The Scarlet Knights have the easiest schedule in the B1G, missing Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, and Penn State, and with UCLA and UW traveling to New Jersey. In the SEC, Mizzou and Ole Miss have cake walks compared to Florida and Oklahoma, and both have easy OOC schedules. 

Better teams in these mega-conferences will have more losses due to SOS than lesser conference members.

8 conference games in a row for OBD with games in November in Ann Arbor and Madison. I hope to see 11-1 but 10-2 is more realistic. 

Good news! The Wolverines and the Buckeyes are not on the 2025 schedule. I hope the B1G HQ will not have OBD playing eight games in a row in 2025 without a break. 

On 6/20/2024 at 2:25 PM, David Marsh said:

I have it penciled that we go undefeated and make the national title game against Ohio State for the third time in the season. 

Oregon gets their first natty. 

And... Ryan Day is 0-4 against the Ducks and this creates a colossal meltdown in the Buckeye fan base. 

And then Oregon is kicked out of the B1G?!!!

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2024 at 8:58 PM, OregonDucks said:

And then Oregon is kicked out of the B1G?!!!

And the anti Oregon League is led by USC, Michigan, Ohio State and Washington.... Because the Huskies can't help themselves. 

• Applause 1