Charles Fischer

'Admit It, Oregon is BUYING Recruits'

(I just posted this in another thread, but wanted to call attention to this issue, because we are seeing TONS of national articles asserting this, and this accusation will not go away.  We all need to be informed of the truth, and convey it to our friends in the north and LA.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had a conversation with a Beaver fan...and addressed the "Oregon is buying recruits" assertion.

It only takes five seconds to realize that...if Oregon only did it with money, then why didn't we get EVERY 5-Star recruit over the last three years that NIL has been legal?  I asked him if he could answer that...and of course he could not.

Dakorien Moore's mother was interviewed by Texas media, and she admitted to the press that "Oregon was not the highest NIL offer; it was close, but it was less." The information that has been coming from the pay-sites (who have inside access) over the last three years is that Oregon will almost never be the highest NIL offer, as the Ducks sell the total package to the recruit.  Even then, we miss more than we acquire.

It also only takes five seconds for someone to ask and figure out the answer to the question...."why is Oregon recruiting so well? Oregon has had money, brand, uniforms, and glitz for years....why now?" 

Well, let's see...what is different over the past?  Could it be DAN LANNING and his staff?  I had never heard of the new running back coach Ra'Shad Samples before, and he was instrumental in the recruitment of both recent 5-Star recruits--and he has only been in Eugene a few months?

This is incredible hiring by Lanning, as he and the staff ARE the difference from before.  

I do not care for implications that Oregon buys recruits when it only takes five seconds to think it through, and understand how that is not true.

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 8
  • Thumbs Up 7

Mr. FishDuck

You may direct these Beavers to read my lovely article from yesterday! 

FISHDUCK.COM

Dan Lanning and Oregon have been on an absolute tear these last few weeks. It has delightfully resulted in...

Oregon has NIL absolutely paying to get them in the recruitment game. 

But winning a recruit hasn't changed. It's all relationships and Lanning has the personality for it. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

The public also seems to ignore the most unique selling point for Oregon:

Once your football career is finished, Nike will give you a nice white collar job if you want it. Basically we'll take care of you for life one way or another.

It may not quite be a guarantee, but it's pretty close to one, and for top shelf recruits to hear "We've got you covered financially right now with NIL, we'll give you as good of a shot as anywhere to be developed to make the NFL later, and if that doesn't pan out or you pro career is semi short we'll get you a good job."

Easy to sell the parents on that too!

Edited by Solar
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wish to emphasize to everyone that this is NOT a MONEY problem for Washington and USC!  

This is a management problem at USC, Oregon State, Washington...all of them.

A coach at Washington begging for donations is insane...

The greater Seattle area has the second most "Millionaire-Density" in the nation, with only Silicon Valley being higher.  There are 130 families who worth over 100 million in the Seattle area, and there are 11 Billionaires.  The money is there for Washington, and if they are not getting it?  That is not Oregon's fault, but the management of Washington Athletics and the Development or Planned Giving Department at Washington.

Don't hate Oregon because Division Street is organized, as now you are sounding like loser-Beavers who blame Oregon for the Beaver demise when their own inept athletic administration put them in this hole.  Even their best suck-up journalist, John Canzano, has been urging the Pig-2 to upgrade their marketing, yet the fans of both those schools want to point their fingers everywhere but where it belongs.

Remember the recent Forbes article about the schools with the richest ten Billionaires?  Oregon was not on it, and while Phil Knight was worth 40 Billion--the top ten USC Billionaires were worth a total of 58 Billion--and the Trojans are complaining about money?

Every school has plenty of rich alumni to turn to, but Oregon has been exceptional at organizing their efforts into a total package for recruiting.  Anyone who claims it is only money is ignorant, and you should send them the link to this thread.

For Crying Out Loud...Use Your Head!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/11/2024 at 2:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

For Crying Out Loud...Use Your Head!

But using your head requires academic prowess... 

Edited by David Marsh
  • Haha 7
  • Mic drop 1

On 7/11/2024 at 1:12 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I do not care for implications that Oregon buys recruits when it only takes five seconds to think it through, and understand how that is not true.

Who cares if it is true though? We are paying these kids and we are paying them big time. Obviously Uncle Phil is wanting a championship while he is alive. I am sure we aren't backing up the Brinks truck for every single recruit, but for the kids that DL wants then why not be the highest bidder and get them to move across the Country to Eugene? 

Oregon IS buying recruits... But that is what is needed to be successful in todays college football world. People forget that the coaching staff still needs to "de-recruit" these kids once they are on campus. As Texas A&M taught us when NIL first was rolled out, that is one of the harder part with these 5 star recruits. But the Oregon staff seems to be doing a great job with it so far. 

Pay for the talent to come to us and then teach them the Oregon way. Not everyone will make it, but those that do will be first day draft picks. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 7/11/2024 at 3:55 PM, QuackyQuack said:

Oregon IS buying recruits.

Any team who is paying NIL is buying recruits, so Oregon is not unique in paying NIL, but for so many assumptions that Oregon is "Buying" recruits is grounded in ignorance--as I've shown.

The Ducks have not had the total package until Dan Lanning and Marshall Machow came along.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Whew! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

And OSU is losing out on 3 star QBs to Cal now. Was that because of Cal’s massive NIL program? Cal’s brilliant leadership? Look in the mirror.

Victimhood at its finest.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

All righty then! The Portal King, Mari(o), Ryan Day, DeBoer, Sark, and a whole lot more other than Dabo on the portal front, aren't using NIL to attract recruits and portal guys?  But for the money why would a kid not pick the home of The Portal King over Eugene?

Choosing Oxford, Mississippi to play ball is the righteous and obvious choice based on all of the Nattys Coach Kiffin has won, the sterling academics, and the play of the iconic Jackie Robinson. What's that? Jackie didn't play at Ole Miss? Sorry, I was thinking of Archie.

Jackie not attending school in Oxford does not lessen a football player with an Ole Miss degree in hand career opportunities outside of football. With the academic power of an Ole Miss degree coupled with Ole Miss's blue-blood prowess in football, would anyone opt for a sneaker company unless he was bought off? The rainy NW instead of practicing and playing games in 90-plus-degree weather accompanied by 80% humidity?  What's wrong with you, Son?

Very few people are aware of how many high school students have Stanford as their safety school if they are not welcomed to the hallowed academic halls of Ole Miss. They are simply not paying attention and not giving a Faulk(ner) about the opportunities that abound in the state capital Jackson, Mississippi, even though the water is not safe to drink. And starting salaries in Vicksburg are off the charts.

Money is an excuse for not being as prepared on the NIL front as is and was and will be Oregon. It's an affront to Danno and friends' recruiting prowess. It's also an excuse when Oregon wins it all. I believe that it is at least 30 years now that Phil has been trying to buy a Natty, right? 

Of course, during the BCS and 4-team playoff era, no one was being paid. $cam?

No offense intended to our UGA friends on OBD but how many games have SEC teams lost simply because they could not get fired up about playing OOC lesser competition? Not many. 

OK, South Central, it's your turn.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2024 at 2:29 PM, Solar said:

Once your football career is finished, Nike will give you a nice white collar job if you want it. Basically we'll take care of you for life one way or anot

While there are a lot of employees worldwide with Nike. There is never a promise to hire just anyone. There is attention given to those with solid academics and communication skills. 

Not everyone fits into that category. Btw…Nike receives resumes from hundreds of Master degree grads each year, applying for entry level work….yikes

There are a lot of corporate connections that Division Street has available. Nike can open doors to sports HR departments worldwide (NFL,NBA, MLB) but there is also construction, food and beverage, financial company’s, auto dealers,  and more that are involved.

However, the old adage of it isn’t always what you know, it’s who you know, that gets your foot in the door. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon buying recruits.......you mean like Bama and USC used to do illegally. No. The rules have changed and Oregon NIL has the right to pay recruits. Just like all programs. 

Of course if the coaches making these charges come from areas like LA, Chicago, NY, SF, Dallas, Austin etc., areas that have tons of cash, are unable to raise or manage cash....who is to blame.

By the way......Ohio St, that exists in a cow town Columbus in Ohio gets just about anyone they stare at.......why.......because the truth is cash is important but......facilities, coaching staff quality, weather, development history, academics, area around the university, team quality, mom and dad location, TV exposure and head coach experience, record, personality etc etc etc have a role. 

Lanning is a great coach.......others are not. Some coaches do not have the management ability, leadership, personality, work ethic and motivation of a Lanning.......don't blame Oregon. 

Teams in California and the SEC operate in areas loaded with talent......Oregon is not......should Oregon whine and cry about that or get to work. Oregon was competitive long before NIL. They played in a national championship game back in 2010.....long before NIL. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Funny how when Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Michigan win national championships, it’s perfectly fine, and nothing is said about NIL or money.

But Oregon on the rise seems to bother a lot of people in high places…

• Applause 5

Mr. FishDuck

To be honest, it sounds more like sour grapes to me with some universities and coaches have toward Oregon and its success.

I am fully in agreement with Charles and some others here on this thread.  Please take the time to listen to J.D. Pickell in what he had to say in this matter.  It's not just the money folks.  It's the complete package Oregon is selling to student athletes.

I don't know about you, but I am buckling up, enjoying the ride!

Do The Oregon Ducks Have UNLIMITED NIL From Nike? | How Dan Lanning, Ducks Recruit At 5-Star Level

Read what Dallas Wilson had to say about Dan Lanning and Oregon.

Is A 5-star Recruit Decommiting From Oregon Ducks Football?

Rumors have been hot and heavy about a potential decommitment from Oregon Ducks Football for the 2025 class. Five-star wide receiver Dallas Wilson, addressed those rumors head-on this week.

WWW.SI.COM

Rumors have been hot and heavy about a potential decommitment from Oregon Football for the 2025 class. One five-star addressed those rumors head-on this week. &

John,

Ole Miss is located in Oxford, MS rather than Vicksburg, MS, unless you intended to imply something else. Vicksburg is an interesting battlefield, but Oxford is a lot nicer. Jobs? There are definetly more jobs associated with Oxford and the university.

These charges, counter-charges and attempted smears are so easily deflected, and it is easy to pin the tail on the real "donkey"- mismanagement, jealousy, and a lack of problem-solving and creativity. There are a lot of flim-flam men out there in coaching.

VR,

KCDuck1

To be honest it sounds more like sour grapes some universities and coaches have toward Oregon and its success.

I am fully in agreement with Charles and some others here on this thread.  Please take the time to listen to J.D. Pickell in what he had to say in this matter.  It's not just the money folks.  It's the complete package Oregon is selling to student athletes.

I don't know about you, but I am buckling up, enjoying the ride!

Do The Oregon Ducks Have UNLIMITED NIL From Nike? | How Dan Lanning, Ducks Recruit At 5-Star Level

Read what Dallas Wilson had to say about Dan Lanning and Oregon.

Is A 5-star Recruit Decommiting From Oregon Ducks Football?

Rumors have been hot and heavy about a potential decommitment from Oregon Ducks Football for the 2025 class. Five-star wide receiver Dallas Wilson, addressed those rumors head-on this week.

WWW.SI.COM

Rumors have been hot and heavy about a potential decommitment from Oregon Football for the 2025 class. One five-star addressed those rumors head-on this week. &

• Thanks 1

My opinion - do whatever it takes to win, as long as it doesn’t result in getting the SMU death penalty.  

I could care less what Oregon pays or gives to recruits.  The ultimate goal is to win…period.  

10-acres on the beach in Hawaii?  A Ferrari? $1M in cash? As long as Oregon can compete with the best, I say good for them.

Let OSU wallow in their “we have a family atmosphere” and “we bring our lunch pails to practice” and “we do things the right way” nonsense.  We are trying to win championships over here.  

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Go Ducks! 2

People know that Oregon directly benefits from Phil Knight’s success. We are the “Nike School”. It benefits the Ducks, but  it also benefits Nike.

The college associated with the largest sport shoe company, and sports apparel company in the world, should be sexy. They should always be a top contender.

It sells shoes.

The Ducks need to win the big one soon. Nike’s stock has completely tanked over the last 2 years. 

On 7/11/2024 at 4:22 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

And OSU is losing out on 3 star QBs to Cal now. Was that because of Cal’s massive NIL program? Cal’s brilliant leadership? Look in the mirror.

Victimhood at its finest.

It's the fact that Cal is in a conference. 

That's about it in this case. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Came across this today. 

WWW.ON3.COM

A list of the top 2025 Football teams in order of recruiting rankings solely based off of the On3 Industry Ranking

Look at the far right column it has average NIL. I don't know where they get their data from but it's clear that Oregon is certainly competitive but they aren't the top payer. 

It might change if the Ducks keep landing give stars though. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/11/2024 at 9:21 PM, David Marsh said:

Came across this today. 

WWW.ON3.COM

A list of the top 2025 Football teams in order of recruiting rankings solely based off of the On3 Industry Ranking

Look at the far right column it has average NIL. I don't know where they get their data from but it's clear that Oregon is certainly competitive but they aren't the top payer. 

It might change if the Ducks keep landing give stars though. 

Great chart!

As to the original question/statement, the correct answer is a question…you aren’t?

Good luck with that.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2024 at 8:33 PM, KCDuck1 said:

John,

Ole Miss is located in Oxford, MS rather than Vicksburg, MS, unless you intended to imply something else. Vicksburg is an interesting battlefield, but Oxford is a lot nicer. Jobs? There are definetly more jobs associated with Oxford and the university.

These charges, counter-charges and attempted smears are so easily deflected, and it is easy to pin the tail on the real "donkey"- mismanagement, jealousy, and a lack of problem-solving and creativity. There are a lot of flim-flam men out there in coaching.

VR,

KCDuck1

This I know KC. I referenced Vicksburg as an enticing job site for Ole Miss Oxford grads. I think.

• Like 1

Denial isn’t just a river in South America. Seems to have carved its way to  Corvallis and Pullman.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2024 at 4:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

not giving a Faulk(ner) about the opportunities

Hard to pick just one, but the entirety of that comment may be the best you've written, Jon.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, getting in on this late, but my first thought is, and OSU, Bama, Georgia, USC, Texas... list could go on... are not buying recruits. 

Yes, Oregon has the money to compete at least evenly with just about everyone, but the Ducks have a lot more to offer than just NIL.

• Thumbs Up 3

The SEC is concerned about B1G recruiting. How about, YES!

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The SEC’s vise grip on the nation's best recruits — including many in the league's footprint — is being challenged more than in years past.

• Applause 1

BTW - fun to do some sorting with that chart. Beavis’ average NIL deal was more than OBD’s in 2022, but they don’t buy players. 🤔 

Like everything they whine about, they do exactly what OBD does, they just aren’t very good at it.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Great post! 1

'The rabbit has the gun': Dan Lanning on Oregon's rise, Kirby Smart and Phil Knight's treasure chest

"There’s no one that I’ve ever wanted to go win more for than Phil and Penny Knight."

And if the well-read Lanning knows anything about the status quo, it’s that those relinquishing power don’t go quietly.

“I think that all of a sudden, the rabbit has the gun,” Lanning said. “And people don’t like the fact that we’re able to go into gunfights with a gun as well.”

WWW.I-5CORRIDOR.COM

"There’s no one that I’ve ever wanted to go win more for than Phil and Penny Knight."

There is not a single program or fan who wouldn't love to have Nike and Division Street.

All of the sound and the fury is nothing but jealousy.

No need to defend or apologize. Maybe just commiserate a bit...as times can be tough for fans of programs unable to compete nationally.

• Applause 1

These student athletes aren't being bought, they are being paid for their work and value they add to the program. Programs who can figure out who adds the most value for the dollar will win in the end. 

Those who are yelling Oregon is all Nike, buying athletes are just getting distracted, and falling further behind. We live in a new era, and when it is new Oregon does well.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The entire premise of this thread still cracks me up. Like scientists at Beavis Engineering Labs finally cracked the code and discovered NIL involves compensation to players.

Victims.

Poor Beavis.

Beaver fans are so freaking annoying.. we should drop them from scheduling completely.. let them develop a rivalry with South Dakota St...lol

• Thumbs Up 1