Ktmguy2018

Herbstreit and Howard Pick Oregon As National Champs

First ESPN Gameday of the season. 

Desmond Howard picked Oregon to win the Big 10 AND the National Championship.  Kirk Herbstreit picked Ohio State to win the Big 10 but said Oregon will win the natty.

Oregon is done flying under the radar.  

But first, Idaho.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Nick Saban also picks OBD to win it all!

AUTZENZOO.COM

College GameDay personalities Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard...

• Applause 1

On 8/25/2024 at 2:08 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Desmond Howard picked Oregon to win the Big 10 AND the National Championship.  Kirk Herbstreit picked Ohio State to win the Big 10 but said Oregon will win the natty.

But first, Idaho.

We need to get by Boise State as well.OBD never won against them. But hopefully this year, we'll finally break that spell.

Granted, Boise State probably not as strong as past years, but OBD really need to be hyped up for that game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Aside from the unethical exploitation of their national megaphones revealing how truly provincial they are, it’s just downright hilarious that we should believe guys from Ohio State, Michigan and Alabama when all they’re trying to do is set-up a fall guy that will inspire the teams they really think will win it all. 

Time to go media deaf dumb and blind and just play football.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/24/2024 at 12:12 PM, kirklandduck said:

Nick Saban also picks OBD to win it all!

Nick Saban picked Georgia to beat Oregon in the national championship game on ESPN College Gameday.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/24/2024 at 2:18 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

We need to get by Boise State as well.

Many people are picking Boise State as an at large selection in the college football playoff this year.  Oregon better be ready!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 8/24/2024 at 9:08 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

But first, Idaho.

I NEVER thought the day would come....someone pinch me!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/24/2024 at 12:18 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

We need to get by Boise State as well.OBD never won against them. 

This info caught my attention. I had to look it up as I was struggling to believe this. But, you are correct as we are somehow 0-3 against Team Smurf. 

The good news is that in fifteen days, all will be made right. I don't believe there is any chance that OBD will underestimate BSU.

And it is so nice that we get a tune up game the week before against that other Idaho team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Howard & Herbstreit picking Oregon to win the entire enchilada!!? 

That's pretty cool! But I think I might need to check the Old Book just to make sure that this isn't one of the signs of the apocalypse... 'cats-n-dogs sleeping together,' etc.

Wow... huge, massive, props to the Oregon program. For an old guy like me who remembers sitting through those mostly brutal games in the 70s & 80s, when I almost swear that for every game it poured down cold rain sideways and uphill both ways, at times this is all almost to much to believe. 

Here's to what may be one unprecedented and amazing season!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not easy for Herbie to pick us rather than anOSU.  He must really believe it.  

Howard is picking Oregon because he hates Ohio State. Herbie is picking Oregon because he loves Ohio State. One is a hopeful reprieve from them winning a National Title. The other is so the pressure isn't so heavy on the squad.

Both will be right at the end of the year though. Only one will be ecstatic when their prediction comes true.

• Haha 1

It is certainly nice that the Ducks are very clearly on the national radar now--I love it to a point. This is no time for rejoicing. I went through high expectations for the Dawgs as early as Kirby's second season, but was advised by sage voices to be cautious about what I said and very, very uneasy until the Dawgs actually won something.

I watched the Dawgs get their hearts ripped out, both times by Bama, in OT in the 2017 Natty and the 2018 SEC Championship game--two games that a more experienced coach and squad should have won. In 2021, I was overly cautious even with an 8-point lead in the Natty with two minutes to go and didn't allow myself to feel confident until CB Kelee Ringo intercepted Bryce Young and returned the ball 70 some yards for the clinching score. My first reaction was unbelievable exuberance followed immediately by relief, fatigue, and a healthy pour of bourbon. It was FINALLY over.

Never take for granted that something is likely to come to pass because others think it might. If my Dawgs can't get it done this year then I'll be hoping it is my Ducks. But no matter how good the team, it is always a struggle to make it to the end, especially if you have never been there before. 

• Great post! 4
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

In 2022, Dizzy, er Dessy, picked Texas A+M to win it all. 

A+M finished 5-7. 😁

On 8/24/2024 at 5:19 PM, Desert Duck said:

This info caught my attention. I had to look it up as I was struggling to believe this. But, you are correct as we are somehow 0-3 against Team Smurf. 

The good news is that in fifteen days, all will be made right. I don't believe there is any chance that OBD will underestimate BSU.

And it is so nice that we get a tune up game the week before against that other Idaho team.

Boise has all 11 starters returning on D including a DE who is in Herbie's Top 3 DEs in CFB and an RB who could be the first RB off the board in the 2025 draft. Yesterday, SMU was a 27.5-point favorite on the road in Reno vs Mountain West Nevada. SMU fought back to win by 5 points. 

9/7, even though the game is on The Bird, this will be the Broncos best chance to show its bona fides to the playoff committee. As noted above, Oregon is 0-3 vs. Boise including Chip's 1st game as the Ducks HC. A game that featured Chip's O being shut down and Sugar Ray Blount.

Rob broke a cardinal scheduling rule: Never Ever schedule Boise State. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/24/2024 at 10:01 PM, TexasDuck said:

Not easy for Herbie to pick us rather than anOSU.  He must really believe it.  

Herbie, a team captain when he QB'd tOSU, goes out of his way not to favor Ohio State like McAfee favors his alma mater West Virginia. 

Herb's two older sons played football for Clemson. He owns a residence in Franklin, TN., 40 miles south of Nashville, but is renting in Cincinnati to watch his youngest son play HS ball. 

BUCKEYESWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Herbie is an Ohio resident once again, and for some really good reasons.

He was run out of Columbus by tOSU fans who did not appreciate his objective tOSU CFB coverage. He is used to what he heard in Dublin, Ireland, not Dublin, Ohio, yesterday.

On 8/24/2024 at 1:08 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Time to go media deaf dumb and blind and just play football

Hmmmm...I always thought that was a PREREQUISITE, in today's "click based" media sources?!?!  🤣

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/24/2024 at 2:38 PM, Desert Duck said:

Wow... huge, massive, props to the Oregon program. For an old guy like me who remembers sitting through those mostly brutal games in the 70s & 80s, when I almost swear that for every game it poured down cold rain sideways and uphill both ways, at times this is all almost to much to believe. 

On the other hand, we could use umbrellas in the stadium back then. 😉

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On paper everything appears to be in place for OBD's to make a solid run at the elusive Natty. This fan has alot of optimism for the 2024 season.

Imho, this team has elite talent and depth at most positions. QB depth is a concern. Not because of a lack of elite talent because the back ups are loaded with it. They lack big game experience and 50 plus srarts under their belt. The offense would be very good with either back up. Just maybe not enough to make a run to the Natty. Keep DG upright and safe!

This may very well be the most talented, disruptive defense the  Ducks have ever put on the field. That defense will win a game or two this season. Only a few teams have the firepower to take on this defense.

I felt we had a great chance in 2023 to get to the final four. Injuries to the secondary derailed that chance against the putrid dawgs. Last years schedule was a cake walk compared to 2024.

tOSU, Michigan and Whisky on the schedule in the same season is a first for the Ducks. BSU and the Beavers will bring their A plus game against us.

Going to be a long grind for this talented blue chip group. My gut tells me they can do it and this season will be one for the ages.

Go Ducks..... 11-1 and in the BIG Title game .....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2024 at 9:01 AM, Annie said:

On the other hand, we could use umbrellas in the stadium back then.

True - lots of times because nobody was sitting behind us to complain.

• Haha 4

National Championship Or NOTHING For Oregon Ducks QB Dillon Gabriel? Dan Lanning BUILT For 2024

Expectations for Dillon Gabriel

Game simulator has OBD winning it all. Some hilariously snarky shade thrown at Cristobal lol

https://athlonsports.com/college/ducks-digest/ea-sports-simulates-the-first-12-team-playoff-for-espn-and-the-game-produces-a-surprise-winner

• Applause 1

On 8/25/2024 at 2:08 PM, NJDuck said:

National Championship Or NOTHING For Oregon Ducks QB Dillon Gabriel? Dan Lanning BUILT For 2024

Expectations for Dillon Gabriel

I completely agree with him.

I’m sure that Coach Lanning and the team’s goal this season is the national championship. They built the roster for that purpose. QB is the most important position in all of sports. Without Dillon Gabriel (DG), Oregon would be a team a peg below the contenders, IMO, heading into the season. There would be just enough uncertainty with our QB to be a “show me first” team. DG has proven that he can put the team on his shoulders and win the big game (see Oklahoma vs. Texas game last year. He needs to master the offense, play with it, distribute the ball to his playmakers, make good decisions and be the difference maker in the big games and when Oregon needs him.  

On 8/25/2024 at 3:24 PM, kirklandduck said:

Game simulator has OBD winning it all. Some hilariously snarky shade thrown at Cristobal lol

https://athlonsports.com/college/ducks-digest/ea-sports-simulates-the-first-12-team-playoff-for-espn-and-the-game-produces-a-surprise-winner

I love it. Seriously though, if we beat Ohio State 3 times this year, OBD may be kicked out of the B1G after the season. It would be totally worth it though.  LOL. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/24/2024 at 10:35 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

But no matter how good the team, it is always a struggle to make it to the end, especially if you have never been there before

It is extremely difficult to win a Natty.  Unless of course you're as loaded as Georgia was in 21' and 22' compared to everyone else. 

It's a roller coaster ride until the game is decided.  It's just difficult to stay healthy enough, and get the one or two breaks necessary to get over the hump.

Look at Georgia last year- a fluke fumble just outside the Red Zone ultimately cost them the SEC Title game.  Bama and OBD had safeties run past an INT last year that cost them key games.

Ohio State fails to stop a DE from hitting the QB- resulting in an INT that would have been a sure reception ( my opinion here) that puts them in scoring position to beat Michigan.

I'm glad we're in the discussion.  But I want to see clutch wins.  We outplayed the Fuskies in Seattle- until we didn't ( see above).   A punter dropped a snap to give Oregon State Field position in the Red Zone...right after Bo Nix uncannily missed a wide open WR for a first down.  

Our FG kicker missed a chip shot FG to force OT.  Bo Nix throws an INT one play after Michael Penix throws an INT.  Too many unforced errors to win the big ones.  Despite questionable coaching calls 

Champions play mistake free ball.  They FORCE teams to play better, execute more often, and overcome damn good play.  That's what missing now- making elite teams beat themselves.  The last time I saw that was against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl and that September surprise in Columbus.  

No matter what, I believe this team has as good a chance as last year's squad.  And they're slightly more talented.  Are they hungry enough? Are they focused enough? Can they win the battle of nerves?  Can they put the dagger in their opponent's heart?  

I believe there are two definite champs on paper.  Three more can steal a title .  OBD are less talented enough that they have to play to perfection, and force the one or two errors they'll need to claim a title.

But I'm rooting for them, and I hope our fans don't get as entitled as Ohio State fans are (boy are they pissed at Herbstreet and Howard!). 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2024 at 8:11 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Boise has all 11 starters returning on D including a DE who is in Herbie's Top 3 DEs in CFB and an RB who could be the first RB off the board in the 2025 draft. Yesterday, SMU was a 27.5-point favorite on the road in Reno vs Mountain West Nevada. SMU fought back to win by 5 points. 

9/7, even though the game is on The Bird, this will be the Broncos best chance to show its bona fides to the playoff committee. As noted above, Oregon is 0-3 vs. Boise including Chip's 1st game as the Ducks HC. A game that featured Chip's O being shut down and Sugar Ray Blount.

To reinforce your point, Nevada blew that game against SMU (but give the ponies some credit) and should well have won that game. As for BSU, I am pretty darned confident the Ducks get this one done but have to say that it could well worth taking the points and laying a bet on the Broncos If...

If this game were to take on the Blue field rather than at Autzen. I think that BSU could keep this one interesting for a while if their offense, which I know nothing about, is any good at all.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2024 at 9:01 AM, Annie said:

On the other hand, we could use umbrellas in the stadium back then. 😉

That's very true, Annie. I think much of the reason for that is that we had lots and lots and lots of room to spread out. I'm guessing each fan had an average of about 1/8 acre 😉.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2024 at 8:11 AM, Jon Joseph said:

They certainly are in no way to be taken lightly. As horrendous as that Smurf Turf looks, it in no way translates to the football team that plays on it.

But I don't think for a minute that OBD will underestimate BSU -- and likely neither do you. And I'm damn glad that we are playing them at home.

College football isn't like the NFL in that anytime, on any given Sunday, any team can win. For instance, obviously, Idaho basically has about a zero chance of winning this Saturday. But BSU, as you point out above, is returning all 11 defensive starters (and as Charles pointed out, we return 10), which will likely make this an interesting game and excellent early season test. 

I do know this much: It's wayyy past time to end their undefeated record against Oregon. And I say, let's win this one and never-ever schedule BSU again 😉

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1