Charles Fischer

Whoops! Ty Thompson...

If he cannot beat out a RS Freshman at Tulane....how was he going to lead the Oregon offense?

It was not popular, but the Oregon coaches made the right call by bringing in Dillon Gabriel....right?

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 2
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

If we didn't bring in any transfers, I think Thompson would have lost out to Novosad regardless. Even Luke Moga looked better in the Spring Game than Thompson has in the past. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Too bad, Thompson never really had "it" though, so not our problem anymore.

On 8/29/2024 at 9:15 AM, Charles Fischer said:

If he cannot beat out a RS Freshman at Tulane....how was he going to lead the Oregon offense?

It was not popular, but the Oregon coaches made the right call by bringing in Dillon Gabriel....right?

Was it unpopular? It may well have been and I didn’t realize it. I definitely remember Nix being unpopular initially, but I for one had definitely seen enough of the deer in headlights, robo-mechanics of Thompson to not be surprised.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ty Thompson's talent on high school film reminded me a lot of Vince Howard from Friday Night Lights. He seemed to excel at improvising and doing whatever he wanted after the ball was snapped; in terms of getting it to playmakers. However, when he moved into the structure of a D1 offensive system which required him to make the plays that were called, he seemed to lose himself in the schematics.

It seems like he has a lot of trouble reading a playbook, the game hasn't slowed down for him in 4 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ty had potential, and received a college scholarship and NIL money for it. Not a bad outcome for his efforts. 

Yeah, this hurts for that kid, but that's the reality of a competitive sport.   Maybe also shows Tulane could be good again this year.   Go Green Waves!

Ouch.  This has to be a major blow to his already eroded confidence.

AUTZENZOO.COM

Former Oregon football quarterback Ty Thompson was in the middle of an intense starting battle at Tulane but he unfortunately didn't win it.

Seems like the starting job is still up for grabs since they're going to be playing all 3 QBs in this first game.

This is a very big reason why I wouldn't pay too much NIL to a freshman QB ( or any Five-Star player for that matter).

Falls under potential can get you fired category. 

I watched ESPN this morning for the first time in months.  Two NFL WR standouts are holding out for money. ESPN feeds the greed machine by saying they deserve it ( to a degree they do, but honor your damn contract, and NFL owners, pony up bonuses for an outstanding year besides the contract). 

I seriously hope college football avoids an NFL style collective bargaining agreement.  It's bad enough unproven kids are getting nearly a million in NIL packages.  

I've heard the transfer portal is going to become much more of a bargaining chip twice a year from now on.  Yuck.

• Thumbs Up 2

Succeeding as a high level D1 QB is so much more than just slinging the rock. Working the system, managing your personnel on the field and reading the defense is of greater importance. The Oregon coaching staff at some point knew that TT would never be 'the guy'. I think most Duck fans only wish him the best and hopefully he will play important minutes for Tulane this year.

• Thumbs Up 2

I got to watch Ty several times in high school and he was truly phenomenal. He has a reputation of being a good kid too. 

I wish him well. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Tulane beats SE Louisiana 52-0. TT goes 2-4 passing for 17 yards and rushes 4 times for 23 yards and two TDs. Looks like TT got some 2nd half run but didn't throw the ball much (Tulane only attempted 17 passes all game, 8 in the first half and 9 in the second half).

Former Oklahoma and former USC WR Mario Williams had 4 catches for 124 yards in his first game for Tulane.

• Thanks 2

On 8/29/2024 at 3:05 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

Ty Thompson's talent on high school film reminded me a lot of Vince Howard from Friday Night Lights. He seemed to excel at improvising and doing whatever he wanted after the ball was snapped; in terms of getting it to playmakers. However, when he moved into the structure of a D1 offensive system which required him to make the plays that were called, he seemed to lose himself in the schematics.

It seems like he has a lot of trouble reading a playbook, the game hasn't slowed down for him in 4 years. 

Great take. Based on the level of HS ball he played, from the get-go, I thought the 5* rating was suspect. Hard to call QBs that will make it from the pros on down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately I think this was a good example of Mario's star chasing.   He valued stars more than the fundamentals.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2024 at 10:18 AM, Augduck said:

He valued stars more than the fundamentals.

He figured if they had enough stars he wouldn't have to develop anyone!

AUTZENZOO.COM

Former Oregon football quarterback Ty Thompson scored a couple of touchdowns in Tulane's season opener on Thursday.

2 for 4 passing for 17 yards along with 4 rushes for 2 scores... 😬 

On 8/30/2024 at 1:51 PM, QuackyQuack said:

2 for 4 passing for 17 yards along with 4 rushes for 2 scores... 😬 

That has echos of Braxton Burmeister.

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2024 at 2:22 PM, kirklandduck said:

That has echos of Braxton Burmeister.

Wow that's a name I have completely forgotten about!

On 8/30/2024 at 3:22 AM, AnotherOD said:

Tulane beats SE Louisiana 52-0. TT goes 2-4 passing for 17 yards and rushes 4 times for 23 yards and two TDs. Looks like TT got some 2nd half run but didn't throw the ball much (Tulane only attempted 17 passes all game, 8 in the first half and 9 in the second half).

I only watched the first half because TU was clearly in command.   But QB1 Mensah was really impressive, much more poised than TT ever was.  The 3rd team ESPN commentators (which were terrible but right about this one) kept saying that they could see why TU went with Mensah.    It's just a bummer that TT never developed in college.   Good thing we didn't need him that much, except for the last couple of games of 2022 season...

Edited by DuckFan93

On 8/30/2024 at 2:47 PM, David Marsh said:

Wow that's a name I have completely forgotten about!

Believe it or not, he's actually in the NFL!  He's listed as a WR for the LA Rams, probably the practice squad.

WWW.ESPN.COM

View the biography of Los Angeles Rams Wide Receiver Braxton Burmeister on ESPN. Includes career history and teams played for.

On 8/30/2024 at 3:17 PM, kirklandduck said:

Believe it or not, he's actually in the NFL!  He's listed as a WR for the LA Rams, probably the practice squad.

WWW.ESPN.COM

View the biography of Los Angeles Rams Wide Receiver Braxton Burmeister on ESPN. Includes career history and teams played for.

Good for him! 

The Tulane starter Mensah has a sister who plays soccer for Oregon.

• Go Ducks! 1

I feel bad for TT. He has a lot of talent and unfortunately it has not worked out for him. By all accounts, he was a good teammate and was loyal to Oregon. I was hoping that he could transfer down and get a shot to start. TT may need to look to transfer again, if he has eligibility remaining.